Outlook Web Access - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Outlook Web Access - Mozilla ; When using Firefox, my OWA doesn't appear the same way it does in IE. Is there an add-on or something that will make OWA work with Firefox better?...

  1. Outlook Web Access

    When using Firefox, my OWA doesn't appear the same way it does in IE. Is
    there an add-on or something that will make OWA work with Firefox better?

  2. Re: Outlook Web Access

    On 10/31/2006 5:38 PM Pacific Time, Erin wrote thusly:
    > When using Firefox, my OWA doesn't appear the same way it does in IE. Is
    > there an add-on or something that will make OWA work with Firefox better?

    Erin,
    What is different for you between them?

    I use OWA and in Firefox, cannot do the right-mail to change read/not
    read options, also don't get the auto-pop-up for new mail. Otherwise,
    it's ok here.

    Barbara

  3. Re: Outlook Web Access

    ,
    > What is different for you between them?
    >
    > I use OWA and in Firefox, cannot do the right-mail to change read/not
    > read options, also don't get the auto-pop-up for new mail. Otherwise,
    > it's ok here.

    Haven't tried it yet with version 2 of Firefox yet, but the view was
    different, takes some getting used to. Searching the address book seemed to
    be tricky IIRC

  4. Re: Outlook Web Access

    I had to use the IE Tab extension and switch it to view in embedded IE
    for it to appear properly.

    Erin wrote:
    > When using Firefox, my OWA doesn't appear the same way it does in IE. Is
    > there an add-on or something that will make OWA work with Firefox better?

  5. Re: Outlook Web Access

    Erin wrote, On 10/31/2006 7:38 PM:
    > When using Firefox, my OWA doesn't appear the same way it does in IE. Is
    > there an add-on or something that will make OWA work with Firefox better?

    MS has some IE-only features in OWA. Doesn't matter if you use Opera,
    Netscape, Firefox, or SeaMonkey, if you don't use IE, those features
    aren't there.

    The IETab extension is exactly what you want. Get it from
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

    I use it with FF and OWA and it works great.

  6. Re: Outlook Web Access

    On 11/1/2006 12:57 PM Pacific Time, Ken Wagner wrote thusly:
    > Erin wrote, On 10/31/2006 7:38 PM:
    >> When using Firefox, my OWA doesn't appear the same way it does in IE.
    >> Is there an add-on or something that will make OWA work with Firefox
    >> better?

    > MS has some IE-only features in OWA. Doesn't matter if you use Opera,
    > Netscape, Firefox, or SeaMonkey, if you don't use IE, those features
    > aren't there.
    >
    > The IETab extension is exactly what you want. Get it from
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/
    >
    > I use it with FF and OWA and it works great.

    It looks great! How do you normally activate it? I installed it,
    signed onto my OWA page, then right clicked to get IE Tab, and it made
    me sign in again. Is that the normal method?

    Barbara

  7. Re: Outlook Web Access

    On 11/1/2006 7:31 PM Pacific Time, Barbara wrote thusly:
    > On 11/1/2006 12:57 PM Pacific Time, Ken Wagner wrote thusly:
    >> Erin wrote, On 10/31/2006 7:38 PM:
    >>> When using Firefox, my OWA doesn't appear the same way it does in IE.
    >>> Is there an add-on or something that will make OWA work with Firefox
    >>> better?

    >> MS has some IE-only features in OWA. Doesn't matter if you use Opera,
    >> Netscape, Firefox, or SeaMonkey, if you don't use IE, those features
    >> aren't there.
    >>
    >> The IETab extension is exactly what you want. Get it from
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/
    >>
    >> I use it with FF and OWA and it works great.

    > It looks great! How do you normally activate it? I installed it,
    > signed onto my OWA page, then right clicked to get IE Tab, and it made
    > me sign in again. Is that the normal method?
    >
    > Barbara

    I added my OWA URL to the "always open in IE Tab" list, closed and
    reopened Firefox, and it's working like a champ! Thanks for the tip
    I would not have thought to even ask.

    Barbara

  8. Re: Outlook Web Access

    Barbara wrote, on 11/1/2006 9:42 PM:
    > On 11/1/2006 7:31 PM Pacific Time, Barbara wrote thusly:
    >>>
    >>> MS has some IE-only features in OWA. Doesn't matter if you use
    >>> Opera, Netscape, Firefox, or SeaMonkey, if you don't use IE, those
    >>> features aren't there.
    >>>
    >>> The IETab extension is exactly what you want. Get it from
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/
    >>>
    >>> I use it with FF and OWA and it works great.

    >> It looks great! How do you normally activate it? I installed it,
    >> signed onto my OWA page, then right clicked to get IE Tab, and it made
    >> me sign in again. Is that the normal method?
    >>
    >> Barbara

    > I added my OWA URL to the "always open in IE Tab" list, closed and
    > reopened Firefox, and it's working like a champ! Thanks for the tip
    > I would not have thought to even ask.

    Glad you got it working.

    Another way to use it is to right click on a link and choose "Open in IE
    Tab"

  9. Re: Outlook Web Access

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    > Barbara wrote, on 11/1/2006 9:42 PM:

    >>> It looks great! How do you normally activate it? I installed it,
    >>> signed onto my OWA page, then right clicked to get IE Tab, and it
    >>> made me sign in again. Is that the normal method?
    >>>
    >>> Barbara

    >> I added my OWA URL to the "always open in IE Tab" list, closed and
    >> reopened Firefox, and it's working like a champ! Thanks for the tip
    >> I would not have thought to even ask.

    > Glad you got it working.
    >
    > Another way to use it is to right click on a link and choose "Open in
    > IE Tab"

    You're then using the IE engine, so you might as well open it in IE in the
    first place.

  10. Re: Outlook Web Access

    jasee wrote, On 11/2/2006 1:05 PM:
    > Ken Wagner wrote:
    >> Barbara wrote, on 11/1/2006 9:42 PM:

    >>> I added my OWA URL to the "always open in IE Tab" list, closed and
    >>> reopened Firefox, and it's working like a champ! Thanks for the tip
    >>> I would not have thought to even ask.

    >> Glad you got it working.
    >>
    >> Another way to use it is to right click on a link and choose "Open in
    >> IE Tab"

    > You're then using the IE engine, so you might as well open it in IE in the
    > first place.

    Yes, it does use the IE engine, but it does so in a tab from within FF.
    That means you still have access to other tabs that may be open as
    well as bookmarks, etc. Also, while it may use the IE engine, it does
    NOT load the IE process into memory.

  11. Re: Outlook Web Access

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    > jasee wrote, On 11/2/2006 1:05 PM:
    >> Ken Wagner wrote:

    >>> Glad you got it working.
    >>>
    >>> Another way to use it is to right click on a link and choose "Open
    >>> in IE Tab"

    >> You're then using the IE engine, so you might as well open it in IE
    >> in the first place.

    > Yes, it does use the IE engine, but it does so in a tab from within
    > FF. That means you still have access to other tabs that may be open
    > as well as bookmarks, etc.

    Yes, I understand: this may be an advantage

    Also, while it may use the IE engine, it
    > does NOT load the IE process into memory.

    Don't understand. What is the significance of that, please?

  12. Re: Outlook Web Access

    jasee wrote, On 11/2/2006 4:25 PM:
    > Ken Wagner wrote:
    >> jasee wrote, On 11/2/2006 1:05 PM:

    >>> You're then using the IE engine, so you might as well open it in IE
    >>> in the first place.

    >> Yes, it does use the IE engine, but it does so in a tab from within
    >> FF. That means you still have access to other tabs that may be open
    >> as well as bookmarks, etc.

    > Yes, I understand: this may be an advantage
    >
    > Also, while it may use the IE engine, it
    >> does NOT load the IE process into memory.

    > Don't understand. What is the significance of that, please?

    Memory - and extra processes that don't need to be running.

    Simply loading a single window of IE 6 on my system (Win XP Pro)
    consumes 40 meg of memory. I'd like to keep that memory, thank you.
    :-)

    --
    Group Etiquette - http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html
    Chris Ilias' Mozilla and Netscape links: http://ilias.ca/

  13. Re: Outlook Web Access

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    > jasee wrote, On 11/2/2006 4:25 PM:
    >> Ken Wagner wrote:

    >>> Yes, it does use the IE engine, but it does so in a tab from within
    >>> FF. That means you still have access to other tabs that may be open
    >>> as well as bookmarks, etc.

    >> Yes, I understand: this may be an advantage
    >>
    >> Also, while it may use the IE engine, it
    >>> does NOT load the IE process into memory.

    >> Don't understand. What is the significance of that, please?

    > Memory - and extra processes that don't need to be running.
    >
    > Simply loading a single window of IE 6 on my system (Win XP Pro)
    > consumes 40 meg of memory. I'd like to keep that memory, thank you.
    > :-)

    According to task manager IE6 in my xppro (blank document) occupies 11megs.
    , firefox with a few essential addins 24megs and 28megs with IE tab on (with
    a blank page)

+ Reply to Thread