History Sidebar - Mozilla

This is a discussion on History Sidebar - Mozilla ; Is that the only way to see History? Can it be changed to view and work with it like it was in the older Mozilla? JS...

  1. History Sidebar

    Is that the only way to see History? Can it be changed to view and work
    with it like it was in the older Mozilla?

    JS

  2. Re: History Sidebar

    Hi John,
    Can you be more specific than "like older Mozilla", and avoid
    hiding part of question in the subject..

    I do see that the Mozilla floater shows
    Title, Location, Last Visited
    and the Firefox sidebar only shows Title, but that is
    Title within one of {Date and Site | by Date | by Side | by Most Visited | by Last Visited}
    so it's really the same except for missing location (url)

    Incidentally in Firefox 1.5.0.7 by date and site does show by domain, but by site fails to show the domain.
    Expect that is a bug, hope it works in Fx2. which will be improving Bookmarks & History
    http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox2/PRD...ks_and_History

    In the Firefox History (Ctrl+H) using Sidebar, there is a drop-down that
    gives you different ordering options though I think by Site should really have
    been called by Title.

    Assuming that it is the use of the Sidebar itself as opposed to a floating
    window, and since I did not see any options to change that, I doubt that
    the Firefox developers would have any interest in downgrading, since ...

    The sidebar allows you to work from the history and view the web page
    at the same time, which is better in my opinion than a floating pop up that
    means you really only see the web page or the history and one could completely
    obscure the other,

    Thinking maybe I'm missing something important I searched extensions for "History" and
    found and installed HistProp which I will keep, and the fact that it shows update for Fx2
    I guess including the location is not builtin to Fx2 History either..

    HistProp 0.2, by Andrew O. Shadoura
    Adds a Properties item to the browser's History viewer (Ctrl+H) context menu (right-click menu)
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3325/

    --
    David McRitchie, Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    "John Smith" wrote...
    > Is that the only way to see History? Can it be changed to view and work
    > with it like it was in the older Mozilla?

  3. Re: History Sidebar

    Hi David.

    It's the whole sidebar thing with Firefox 1.5.0.7. The only place I can
    see the history is in that narrow left hand pane. The history on
    Mozilla versions opens in a full screen, which makes it much easier to
    work with. The Firefox history tool now looks like Internet Explorer.
    I don't like it at all! I wish there was a way to make it show
    differently, like it does with its predecessors, or if it does show
    differently I wish someone tells me how to do it.

    JS

    David McRitchie wrote:

    > Hi John,
    > Can you be more specific than "like older Mozilla", and avoid
    > hiding part of question in the subject..
    >
    > I do see that the Mozilla floater shows
    > Title, Location, Last Visited
    > and the Firefox sidebar only shows Title, but that is
    > Title within one of {Date and Site | by Date | by Side | by Most Visited | by Last Visited}
    > so it's really the same except for missing location (url)
    >
    > Incidentally in Firefox 1.5.0.7 by date and site does show by domain, but by site fails to show the domain.
    > Expect that is a bug, hope it works in Fx2. which will be improving Bookmarks & History
    > http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox2/PRD...ks_and_History
    >
    > In the Firefox History (Ctrl+H) using Sidebar, there is a drop-down that
    > gives you different ordering options though I think by Site should really have
    > been called by Title.
    >
    > Assuming that it is the use of the Sidebar itself as opposed to a floating
    > window, and since I did not see any options to change that, I doubt that
    > the Firefox developers would have any interest in downgrading, since ...
    >
    > The sidebar allows you to work from the history and view the web page
    > at the same time, which is better in my opinion than a floating pop up that
    > means you really only see the web page or the history and one could completely
    > obscure the other,
    >
    > Thinking maybe I'm missing something important I searched extensions for "History" and
    > found and installed HistProp which I will keep, and the fact that it shows update for Fx2
    > I guess including the location is not builtin to Fx2 History either..
    >
    > HistProp 0.2, by Andrew O. Shadoura
    > Adds a Properties item to the browser's History viewer (Ctrl+H) context menu (right-click menu)
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3325/

  4. Re: History Sidebar

    "John Smith"
    > Hi David.
    > It's the whole sidebar thing with Firefox 1.5.0.7. The only place I can
    > see the history is in that narrow left hand pane. The history on
    > Mozilla versions opens in a full screen, which makes it much easier to
    > work with.

    Hi John,

    The sidebar width can be changed by dragging the right border of the sidebar.
    the width will be sticky for all sidebars.

    You could assign a keyword shortcut for the following, which you can paste to location bar to see
    chrome://browser/content/history/history-panel.xul
    more information
    Dev : Firefox Chrome URLs
    "a list of all standard XUL files contained by Firefox"
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.php?...Ls&redirect=no
    Chrome URLs
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Chrome_URLs

    You can make the sidebar dockable/undocable with the
    Ez Sidebar extension
    XUL Apps > Ez Sidebar - outsider reflex
    http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_ezside...ml.en#features

    --
    David McRitchie, Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

  5. Re: History Sidebar

    _John Smith_ spoke thusly on 15/10/2006 9:30 AM:
    > Is that the only way to see History? Can it be changed to view and work
    > with it like it was in the older Mozilla?

    To get something more like the Mozilla Application Suite, you should
    probably try the Enhanced History Manager extension.

    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  6. Re: History Sidebar

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _John Smith_ spoke thusly on 15/10/2006 9:30 AM:
    >
    >> Is that the only way to see History? Can it be changed to view and
    >> work with it like it was in the older Mozilla?

    > To get something more like the Mozilla Application Suite, you should
    > probably try the Enhanced History Manager extension.

    Thank You! That is exactly what I was looking for.

    John

+ Reply to Thread