Cannot move bookmarks to Folder - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Cannot move bookmarks to Folder - Mozilla ; I am using Firefox 1.5.0.7. Previously I could move bookmarks pertaining to similar topics to a common folder. But with the current version I cannot do it. Am I missing something? Any suggestion will be of great help to me. ...

  1. Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    I am using Firefox 1.5.0.7.
    Previously I could move bookmarks pertaining to similar topics to a common
    folder.
    But with the current version I cannot do it.
    Am I missing something?
    Any suggestion will be of great help to me.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    Jag Chan wrote:
    > I am using Firefox 1.5.0.7.
    > Previously I could move bookmarks pertaining to similar topics to a common
    > folder.
    > But with the current version I cannot do it.
    > Am I missing something?
    > Any suggestion will be of great help to me.
    > Thanks.

    check one thing :
    Goto any web page , bookmark that page .
    Restart Firefox and check whether Firefox really can remember that saved
    bookmark or not.

  3. Re: Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    Nir wrote in

    > Jag Chan wrote:
    >> I am using Firefox 1.5.0.7.
    >> Previously I could move bookmarks pertaining to similar topics to a
    >> common folder.
    >> But with the current version I cannot do it.
    >> Am I missing something?
    >> Any suggestion will be of great help to me.
    >> Thanks.

    > check one thing :
    > Goto any web page , bookmark that page .
    > Restart Firefox and check whether Firefox really can remember that
    > saved bookmark or not.

    Yes it can remember the saved bookmark.
    My problem is in arranging similar book marks together in a folder.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

  4. Re: Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    Jag Chan wrote:
    > Nir wrote in
    >
    >> Jag Chan wrote:
    >>> I am using Firefox 1.5.0.7.
    >>> Previously I could move bookmarks pertaining to similar topics to a
    >>> common folder.
    >>> But with the current version I cannot do it.
    >>> Am I missing something?
    >>> Any suggestion will be of great help to me.
    >>> Thanks.

    >> check one thing :
    >> Goto any web page , bookmark that page .
    >> Restart Firefox and check whether Firefox really can remember that
    >> saved bookmark or not.
    >>

    > Yes it can remember the saved bookmark.
    > My problem is in arranging similar book marks together in a folder.
    > Any suggestions?
    > Thanks.

    Goto Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks.
    Look for the bookmark entry in Right Bookmark list pane.
    Drag that bookmark and drop it on the destination folder.

  5. Re: Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    On 15.10.2006 05:14, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jag Chan to
    generate the following:? :

    >I am using Firefox 1.5.0.7.
    >Previously I could move bookmarks pertaining to similar topics to a common
    >folder.
    >But with the current version I cannot do it.
    >Am I missing something?
    >Any suggestion will be of great help to me.
    >Thanks.

    Main menu:

    Bookmarks>>Manage Bookmarks>>View

    tick the button "Unsorted"

    reg

  6. Re: Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    On 15.10.2006 09:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Nir to
    generate the following:? :

    >Jag Chan wrote:
    >

    >>Nir wrote in

    >>>check one thing :
    >>>Goto any web page , bookmark that page .
    >>>Restart Firefox and check whether Firefox really can remember that
    >>>saved bookmark or not.
    >>>

    >>Yes it can remember the saved bookmark.
    >>My problem is in arranging similar book marks together in a folder.
    >>Any suggestions?
    >>Thanks.
    >>

    >Goto Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks.
    >Look for the bookmark entry in Right Bookmark list pane.
    >Drag that bookmark and drop it on the destination folder.

    The OP said that he *CANNOT* move the BM !!

    reg

  7. Re: Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    Nir wrote in

    > Jag Chan wrote:
    >> Nir wrote in

    > Goto Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks.

    > Look for the bookmark entry in Right Bookmark list pane.
    > Drag that bookmark and drop it on the destination folder.

    Hi Nir,
    Thanks.
    You have solved my problem albeit partially.
    Don't take offence, but did you try what you wrote?
    I am asking this because I still could not drag and drop as I could do
    previously.
    But thanks for your suggestion to go toBookmarks > Manage Bookmarks.
    Because a new window opens up and even if I cannot drag and drop (at
    least in mine), I can move after highlighting the Bookmark >clicking move
    button in Menu > move the Bookmark in new small window that opens up.
    I still feel they should have kept the old drag and drop function as it
    was easier.
    Is Firefox going windows way in making it more fancier?
    Regards & Thanks again.

  8. Re: Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    Jag Chan wrote:
    > Nir wrote in
    >
    >> Jag Chan wrote:
    >>> Nir wrote in

    /snip/

    > Hi Nir,
    > Thanks.
    > You have solved my problem albeit partially.
    > Don't take offence, but did you try what you wrote?
    > I am asking this because I still could not drag and drop as I could do
    > previously.
    > But thanks for your suggestion to go toBookmarks > Manage Bookmarks.
    > Because a new window opens up and even if I cannot drag and drop (at
    > least in mine), I can move after highlighting the Bookmark >clicking move
    > button in Menu > move the Bookmark in new small window that opens up.
    > I still feel they should have kept the old drag and drop function as it
    > was easier.
    > Is Firefox going windows way in making it more fancier?
    > Regards & Thanks again.

    Drag and drop in the Bookmarks Manager does work from here. Try doing so
    in safe mode.

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  9. Re: Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    Jag Chan wrote:
    > Nir wrote in
    >
    >> Jag Chan wrote:
    >>> Nir wrote in

    >> Goto Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks.

    >> Look for the bookmark entry in Right Bookmark list pane.
    >> Drag that bookmark and drop it on the destination folder.

    > Hi Nir,
    > Thanks.
    > You have solved my problem albeit partially.
    > Don't take offence, but did you try what you wrote?
    > I am asking this because I still could not drag and drop as I could do
    > previously.
    > But thanks for your suggestion to go toBookmarks > Manage Bookmarks.
    > Because a new window opens up and even if I cannot drag and drop (at
    > least in mine), I can move after highlighting the Bookmark >clicking move
    > button in Menu > move the Bookmark in new small window that opens up.
    > I still feel they should have kept the old drag and drop function as it
    > was easier.
    > Is Firefox going windows way in making it more fancier?
    > Regards & Thanks again.

    Drag-n-Drop works fine here . Try to move bookmarks in safe mode as Lee
    suggested.
    To start Firefox in safe mode : start > Programs > Firefox[safe mode]

  10. Re: Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    Nir wrote in

    > Drag-n-Drop works fine here . Try to move bookmarks in safe mode as
    > Lee suggested.
    > To start Firefox in safe mode : start > Programs > Firefox[safe mode]

    Nir,
    Please help me.
    Did as per your suggestion.
    Ticked reset bookmarks to Firefox defaults.
    Now I have lost all bookmarks.
    Please help me recover them.
    Regards.

  11. Re: Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    Jag Chan wrote:
    > Nir wrote in
    >
    >> Drag-n-Drop works fine here . Try to move bookmarks in safe mode as
    >> Lee suggested.
    >> To start Firefox in safe mode : start > Programs > Firefox[safe mode]

    > Nir,
    > Please help me.
    > Did as per your suggestion.
    > Ticked reset bookmarks to Firefox defaults.
    > Now I have lost all bookmarks.
    > Please help me recover them.
    > Regards.

    That wasn't exactly what Nir suggested, he just meant to start in Safe
    Mode and test drag and drop.

    Fortunately, Firefox backs up your bookmarks. Find your profile folder:

    WinXP, 2K:
    C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

    Win ME, 98:
    C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

    There should be a folder called BookmarkBackups. Inside should be a
    copy of your bookmarks for the last week. Find one that has the
    bookmarks you want to restore, rename it to bookmarks.html, anc
    copy/paste it into the profile folder, overwriting the default set.

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  12. Re: Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    Leonidas Jones wrote in

    > Jag Chan wrote:
    >> Nir wrote in

    Nir,
    >> Please help me.

    That wasn't exactly what Nir suggested, he just meant to start in Safe
    > Mode and test drag and drop.
    >
    > Fortunately, Firefox backs up your bookmarks. Find your profile

    folder:

    > WinXP, 2K:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
    >
    > Win ME, 98:
    > C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
    >
    > There should be a folder called BookmarkBackups. Inside should be a
    > copy of your bookmarks for the last week. Find one that has the
    > bookmarks you want to restore, rename it to bookmarks.html, anc
    > copy/paste it into the profile folder, overwriting the default set.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks for the suggestion.

  13. Re: Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    Jag Chan wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote in
    >
    >> Jag Chan wrote:
    >>> Nir wrote in

    /snip/
    > That wasn't exactly what Nir suggested, he just meant to start in Safe
    >> Mode and test drag and drop.
    >>
    >> Fortunately, Firefox backs up your bookmarks. Find your profile

    > folder:
    >> WinXP, 2K:
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application
    >> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
    >>
    >> Win ME, 98:
    >> C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
    >>
    >> There should be a folder called BookmarkBackups. Inside should be a
    >> copy of your bookmarks for the last week. Find one that has the
    >> bookmarks you want to restore, rename it to bookmarks.html, anc
    >> copy/paste it into the profile folder, overwriting the default set.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks for the suggestion.

    Let us know if you were able to restore your bookmarks.

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  14. Re: Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

    Leonidas Jones wrote in

    > Jag Chan wrote:
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote in

    > /snip/
    >> That wasn't exactly what Nir suggested, he just meant to start in Safe
    >>> Mode and test drag and drop.
    >>>
    >>> Fortunately, Firefox backs up your bookmarks. Find your profile

    >> folder:
    >>> WinXP, 2K:
    >>> C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application
    >>> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
    >>>
    >>> Win ME, 98:
    >>> C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
    >>>
    >>> There should be a folder called BookmarkBackups. Inside should be a
    >>> copy of your bookmarks for the last week. Find one that has the
    >>> bookmarks you want to restore, rename it to bookmarks.html, anc
    >>> copy/paste it into the profile folder, overwriting the default set.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Thanks for the suggestion.
    >>

    > Let us know if you were able to restore your bookmarks.
    >
    > Lee

    Not exactly the way you suggested.
    Actually I could not follow it up.
    What I did was - went to bookmark and highlighted the whole thing for
    copying.
    Then in FF -> bookmark > manage bookmark >.move and then moved the whole
    thing to new bookmark folder.
    It worked.
    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread