FF not inserting password when user name is not on the same screen - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF not inserting password when user name is not on the same screen - Mozilla ; When the user name input and the password input are on the same page FF will input the user name and password with no problem but when the password input is on the screen by itself, nothing is inputted. This ...

  1. FF not inserting password when user name is not on the same screen

    When the user name input and the password input are on the same page
    FF will input the user name and password with no problem but when the
    password input is on the screen by itself, nothing is inputted. This
    happens on both the LA County Library web site:

    http://www.colapublib.org/

    and the HushMail site:

    http://www.hushmail.com/

    Is there any solution to this problem? I have tried the "Always
    Remember Password" extension but it did not help. Thank you in
    advance for all replies.
    --
    My previous cat, Rocket would play "monster" with me. I would
    assume the threat posture of a bear and make a scarry noise (usually

  2. Re: FF not inserting password when user name is not on the same screen

    neutrino wrote:
    > When the user name input and the password input are on the same page
    > FF will input the user name and password with no problem but when the
    > password input is on the screen by itself, nothing is inputted. This
    > happens on both the LA County Library web site:
    >
    > http://www.colapublib.org/
    >
    > and the HushMail site:
    >
    > http://www.hushmail.com/
    >
    > Is there any solution to this problem? I have tried the "Always
    > Remember Password" extension but it did not help. Thank you in
    > advance for all replies.

    This page may be helpful :
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/User_name_...not_remembered

  3. Re: FF not inserting password when user name is not on the same screen

    On 10/12/2006 2:44 AM neutrino opined:

    > When the user name input and the password input are on the same page
    > FF will input the user name and password with no problem but when the
    > password input is on the screen by itself, nothing is inputted. This
    > happens on both the LA County Library web site:
    >
    > http://www.colapublib.org/
    >
    > and the HushMail site:
    >
    > http://www.hushmail.com/
    >
    > Is there any solution to this problem? I have tried the "Always
    > Remember Password" extension but it did not help. Thank you in
    > advance for all replies.
    > --

    Nir replied with help but I'm curious.
    What does the Remember Password Extension do (besides the obvious)?
    I've never had a password problem but I would suppose the extension
    exists for a reason...

  4. Re: FF not inserting password when user name is not on the same screen

    On 10/13/2006 6:07 PM Pacific Time, goodwin wrote thusly:
    > On 10/12/2006 2:44 AM neutrino opined:
    >
    >> When the user name input and the password input are on the same page
    >> FF will input the user name and password with no problem but when the
    >> password input is on the screen by itself, nothing is inputted. This
    >> happens on both the LA County Library web site:
    >>
    >> http://www.colapublib.org/
    >>
    >> and the HushMail site:
    >>
    >> http://www.hushmail.com/
    >>
    >> Is there any solution to this problem? I have tried the "Always
    >> Remember Password" extension but it did not help. Thank you in
    >> advance for all replies.
    >> --

    > Nir replied with help but I'm curious.
    > What does the Remember Password Extension do (besides the obvious)?
    > I've never had a password problem but I would suppose the extension
    > exists for a reason...

    The Remember Password script removed the blocking that some sites put in
    to prevent remembering passwords. It's not really an extension. I have
    it as a bookmarklet on my personal toolbar and use it fairly regularly.

    Barbar

  5. Re: FF not inserting password when user name is not on the same screen

    This is all well and good, but I don't think it is not the situation
    that Neutrino originally described. I know it is not the situation I
    have encountered.

    I have a number of webpages that request only a single password field
    input. That is, there is no username requested. FireFox stores the
    correct password information for the correct base URL name into the
    password store with the username field empty. The problem is that
    Firefox does not insert the password when this page is revisited. I
    don't have any public examples that I could post as examples.

    Anybody have a solution?
    Thanks in advance,
    Paco

    Barbara wrote:
    > On 10/13/2006 6:07 PM Pacific Time, goodwin wrote thusly:
    > > On 10/12/2006 2:44 AM neutrino opined:
    > >
    > >> When the user name input and the password input are on the same page
    > >> FF will input the user name and password with no problem but when the
    > >> password input is on the screen by itself, nothing is inputted. This
    > >> happens on both the LA County Library web site:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.colapublib.org/
    > >>
    > >> and the HushMail site:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.hushmail.com/
    > >>
    > >> Is there any solution to this problem? I have tried the "Always
    > >> Remember Password" extension but it did not help. Thank you in
    > >> advance for all replies.
    > >> --

    > > Nir replied with help but I'm curious.
    > > What does the Remember Password Extension do (besides the obvious)?
    > > I've never had a password problem but I would suppose the extension
    > > exists for a reason...
    > >

    > The Remember Password script removed the blocking that some sites put in
    > to prevent remembering passwords. It's not really an extension. I have
    > it as a bookmarklet on my personal toolbar and use it fairly regularly.
    >
    > Barbara

  6. Re: FF not inserting password when user name is not on the same screen

    Paco wrote:
    > This is all well and good, but I don't think it is not the situation
    > that Neutrino originally described. I know it is not the situation I
    > have encountered.
    >
    > I have a number of webpages that request only a single password field
    > input. That is, there is no username requested. FireFox stores the
    > correct password information for the correct base URL name into the
    > password store with the username field empty. The problem is that
    > Firefox does not insert the password when this page is revisited. I
    > don't have any public examples that I could post as examples.

    That is EXACTLY the problem I have. I have the problem with
    http://www.hushmail.com/ and with the Los Angeles County Library web
    page http://www.colapublib.org/. Anyone can get a free hushmail
    account. Anyone with a Los Angeles County Library card can access
    their web page. The first time in each session when the library asks
    for a password, it also asks for a library card number and FF inserts
    both the library card number and the password. After the first time it
    only asks for the password and FF does not insert anything.

  7. Re: FF not inserting password when user name is not on the same screen

    "neutrino" wrote:

    >When the user name input and the password input are on the same page
    >FF will input the user name and password with no problem but when the
    >password input is on the screen by itself, nothing is inputted. This
    >happens on both the LA County Library web site:
    >
    >http://www.colapublib.org/
    >
    >and the HushMail site:
    >
    >http://www.hushmail.com/
    >
    >Is there any solution to this problem? I have tried the "Always
    >Remember Password" extension but it did not help. Thank you in
    >advance for all replies.

    I just switched to FF 2.x and the problem is solved. FF is now
    inputting the password on both web sites.
    --
    I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
    known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.

+ Reply to Thread