I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP! - Mozilla

This is a discussion on I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP! - Mozilla ; Hi all! I can't use firefox anymore, but IE6, and netscape is ok.... i don't know what could be causing this.... i open firefox, but i can't even see the firefox window even though in the task manager i can ...

  1. I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    Hi all!

    I can't use firefox anymore, but IE6, and netscape is ok....

    i don't know what could be causing this....

    i open firefox, but i can't even see the firefox window even though in
    the task manager i can see firefox.exe....

    i just did an extensive scan for viruses, spyware, etc., both using
    norton and trend micro online...nothing was found.... the only new thing
    in my pc is kerio personal firewall....i don't know if that's the reason
    i can't suddenly use firefox because i can still use IE6 and netscape...

    please help!

  2. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    mae wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I can't use firefox anymore, but IE6, and netscape is ok....
    >
    > i don't know what could be causing this....
    >
    > i open firefox, but i can't even see the firefox window even though in
    > the task manager i can see firefox.exe....
    >
    > i just did an extensive scan for viruses, spyware, etc., both using
    > norton and trend micro online...nothing was found.... the only new thing
    > in my pc is kerio personal firewall....i don't know if that's the reason
    > i can't suddenly use firefox because i can still use IE6 and netscape...
    >
    > please help!

    Try to start Firefox in safe mode : Start > Programs > Firefox[safe mode].
    and check whether you are getting same problem or not

  3. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    "Nir" wrote in message
    news:15ydnaMLV7GjI7jYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > mae wrote:
    >> Hi all!
    >>
    >> I can't use firefox anymore, but IE6, and netscape is ok....
    >>
    >> i don't know what could be causing this....
    >>
    >> i open firefox, but i can't even see the firefox window even though in
    >> the task manager i can see firefox.exe....
    >>
    >> i just did an extensive scan for viruses, spyware, etc., both using
    >> norton and trend micro online...nothing was found.... the only new thing
    >> in my pc is kerio personal firewall....i don't know if that's the reason
    >> i can't suddenly use firefox because i can still use IE6 and netscape...
    >>
    >> please help!

    > Try to start Firefox in safe mode : Start > Programs > Firefox[safe mode].
    > and check whether you are getting same problem or not

    hi! i can't open firefox in safe mode again...

    i closed the browser in safe mode to see if it's working ok but when i tried
    to open it again, i can't open it anymore........firefox-normal mode is
    same....

  4. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    mae wrote:
    > "Nir" wrote in message
    > news:15ydnaMLV7GjI7jYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> mae wrote:
    >>> Hi all!
    >>>
    >>> I can't use firefox anymore, but IE6, and netscape is ok....
    >>>
    >>> i don't know what could be causing this....
    >>>
    >>> i open firefox, but i can't even see the firefox window even though in
    >>> the task manager i can see firefox.exe....
    >>>
    >>> i just did an extensive scan for viruses, spyware, etc., both using
    >>> norton and trend micro online...nothing was found.... the only new thing
    >>> in my pc is kerio personal firewall....i don't know if that's the reason
    >>> i can't suddenly use firefox because i can still use IE6 and netscape...
    >>>
    >>> please help!

    >> Try to start Firefox in safe mode : Start > Programs > Firefox[safe mode].
    >> and check whether you are getting same problem or not

    > hi! i can't open firefox in safe mode again...
    >
    > i closed the browser in safe mode to see if it's working ok but when i tried
    > to open it again, i can't open it anymore........firefox-normal mode is
    > same....

    Open Task Manager. If you see a running process of firefox.exe, kill it.

    Open Firefox. Any better?

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  5. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    mae wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I can't use firefox anymore, but IE6, and netscape is ok....
    >
    > i don't know what could be causing this....
    >
    > i open firefox, but i can't even see the firefox window even though in
    > the task manager i can see firefox.exe....
    >
    > i just did an extensive scan for viruses, spyware, etc., both using
    > norton and trend micro online...nothing was found.... the only new thing
    > in my pc is kerio personal firewall....i don't know if that's the reason
    > i can't suddenly use firefox because i can still use IE6 and netscape...
    >
    > please help!

    1. Start Task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and look for the firefox.exe
    process; if you find it, click on End Process.

    Can you start Firefox now?

    2. With FF closed, open your kerio firewall and delete the firefox entry.

    Can you start FF now?

    --
    Irwin
    EVERYBODY SHOULD TAKE A TOUR OF

  6. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    mae wrote:

    > hi! i can't open firefox in safe mode again...
    >
    > i closed the browser in safe mode to see if it's working ok but when i tried
    > to open it again, i can't open it anymore........firefox-normal mode is
    > same....

    Dude, you just ain't livin' right!

  7. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    mae wrote:
    > "Nir" wrote in message
    > news:15ydnaMLV7GjI7jYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> mae wrote:
    >>> Hi all!
    >>>
    >>> I can't use firefox anymore, but IE6, and netscape is ok....
    >>>
    >>> i don't know what could be causing this....
    >>>
    >>> i open firefox, but i can't even see the firefox window even though in
    >>> the task manager i can see firefox.exe....
    >>>
    >>> i just did an extensive scan for viruses, spyware, etc., both using
    >>> norton and trend micro online...nothing was found.... the only new thing
    >>> in my pc is kerio personal firewall....i don't know if that's the reason
    >>> i can't suddenly use firefox because i can still use IE6 and netscape...
    >>>
    >>> please help!

    >> Try to start Firefox in safe mode : Start > Programs > Firefox[safe mode].
    >> and check whether you are getting same problem or not

    > hi! i can't open firefox in safe mode again...
    >
    > i closed the browser in safe mode to see if it's working ok but when i tried
    > to open it again, i can't open it anymore........firefox-normal mode is
    > same....

    Probably firefox.exe process is still running in background.
    Open Task manager ( ctrl+alt+del ), goto Process tab , check
    whether there is any firefox.exe process running or not. if you
    find any select that any click on 'End Process' . Now try to start
    Firefox in normal mode.

    also configure your Firewall or Antivirus programs properly
    (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls) or simply delete 'firefox'
    entry from their program list. Start Firefox in normal mode and
    check.

  8. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    "Nir" wrote in message
    > mae wrote:
    >> "Nir" wrote in message
    >> news:15ydnaMLV7GjI7jYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> Try to start Firefox in safe mode : Start > Programs > Firefox[safe
    >>> mode].
    >>> and check whether you are getting same problem or not

    >> hi! i can't open firefox in safe mode again...
    >>
    >> i closed the browser in safe mode to see if it's working ok but when i
    >> tried
    >> to open it again, i can't open it anymore........firefox-normal mode is
    >> same....
    >>

    > Probably firefox.exe process is still running in background.
    > Open Task manager ( ctrl+alt+del ), goto Process tab , check whether there
    > is any firefox.exe process running or not. if you find any select that any
    > click on 'End Process' . Now try to start Firefox in normal mode.
    >
    > also configure your Firewall or Antivirus programs properly
    > (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls) or simply delete 'firefox' entry
    > from their program list. Start Firefox in normal mode and check.

    i already ended firefox.exe in task manager, but i still can't open firefox,
    whether in normal or safe mode....

  9. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    mae wrote:
    > "Nir" wrote in message
    >> mae wrote:
    >>> "Nir" wrote in message
    >>> news:15ydnaMLV7GjI7jYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> hi! i can't open firefox in safe mode again...
    >>>
    >>> i closed the browser in safe mode to see if it's working ok but when i
    >>> tried
    >>> to open it again, i can't open it anymore........firefox-normal mode is
    >>> same....
    >>>

    >> Probably firefox.exe process is still running in background.
    >> Open Task manager ( ctrl+alt+del ), goto Process tab , check whether there
    >> is any firefox.exe process running or not. if you find any select that any
    >> click on 'End Process' . Now try to start Firefox in normal mode.
    >>
    >> also configure your Firewall or Antivirus programs properly
    >> (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls) or simply delete 'firefox' entry
    >> from their program list. Start Firefox in normal mode and check.

    > i already ended firefox.exe in task manager, but i still can't open firefox,
    > whether in normal or safe mode....

    and you have configured your firewall and antivirus softwares ,
    right ?

  10. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    "Nir" wrote in message
    news:K76dnYihN7lrfLjYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > mae wrote:
    >> "Nir" wrote in message

    >>> Probably firefox.exe process is still running in background.
    >>> Open Task manager ( ctrl+alt+del ), goto Process tab , check whether
    >>> there is any firefox.exe process running or not. if you find any select
    >>> that any click on 'End Process' . Now try to start Firefox in normal
    >>> mode.
    >>>
    >>> also configure your Firewall or Antivirus programs properly
    >>> (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls) or simply delete 'firefox' entry
    >>> from their program list. Start Firefox in normal mode and check.

    >> i already ended firefox.exe in task manager, but i still can't open
    >> firefox, whether in normal or safe mode....

    > and you have configured your firewall and antivirus softwares , right ?

    yes

  11. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    "William" wrote in message
    news:5vGdnXhGQdQRYrjYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    > "mae" wrote in message
    > news:lPOdnWTWc4e4eLjYnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>
    >> "Nir" wrote in message
    >> news:K76dnYihN7lrfLjYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> and you have configured your firewall and antivirus softwares , right ?

    >> yes

    > Is this problem after a reboot? I ask because for a long time now whenever
    > I come out of XP standby I cant open FF either and nowhere have I been
    > able to find a solution. I have to try at least 3 or 4 times before it
    > opens. It works ok after reboot but who wants to reboot a few times a day.
    > For me this is the biggest problem with FF.
    >
    > Bill

    no, even after the computer has been on for a longtime, i still can't use
    firefox....i can see firefox.exe in the task manager, but nothing
    happens.....

  12. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    mae wrote:
    > "Nir" wrote in message
    > news:K76dnYihN7lrfLjYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> mae wrote:
    >>> "Nir" wrote in message

    >>> i already ended firefox.exe in task manager, but i still can't open
    >>> firefox, whether in normal or safe mode....

    >> and you have configured your firewall and antivirus softwares , right ?

    > yes

    Do you get any error message when you try to launch Firefox? after
    trying to start firefox , can you see any firefox.exe process
    running in Task manager? ( if you see it's still running ,
    terminate this process )

    After that follow these steps:
    Completely close Firefox.
    Goto your Firefox profile (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Firefox)
    move these files to any other location:
    downloads.rdf
    history.dat
    localstore.rdf
    XUL.mfl

    Disable all Firewall and Antivirus program.

    Try to start Firefox in safe mode . Still getting problem?

  13. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    On 06.10.2006 02:20, mae wrote:

    > no, even after the computer has been on for a longtime, i still can't use
    > firefox....i can see firefox.exe in the task manager, but nothing
    > happens.....

    Locate your profile directory. If the file parent.lock is present,
    delete it, reboot and restart FF.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  14. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    mae wrote:
    > "William" wrote in message
    > news:5vGdnXhGQdQRYrjYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> "mae" wrote in message
    >> news:lPOdnWTWc4e4eLjYnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>> "Nir" wrote in message
    >>> news:K76dnYihN7lrfLjYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> yes

    >> Is this problem after a reboot? I ask because for a long time now whenever
    >> I come out of XP standby I cant open FF either and nowhere have I been
    >> able to find a solution. I have to try at least 3 or 4 times before it
    >> opens. It works ok after reboot but who wants to reboot a few times a day.
    >> For me this is the biggest problem with FF.
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>

    > no, even after the computer has been on for a longtime, i still can't use
    > firefox....i can see firefox.exe in the task manager, but nothing
    > happens.....

    Is there a very small icon in the upper left portion of your screen? If
    so, try dragging the lower right corner down and t the right.

    --
    Irwin
    EVERYBODY SHOULD TAKE A TOUR OF
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page
    Managing TB Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile
    Managing FF Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

  15. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    "Irwin Greenwald" wrote in message
    news:J5udnQtltpXSTrjYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > mae wrote:
    >> Hi all!
    >>
    >> I can't use firefox anymore, but IE6, and netscape is ok....
    >>
    >> i don't know what could be causing this....
    >>
    >> i open firefox, but i can't even see the firefox window even though in
    >> the task manager i can see firefox.exe....
    >>
    >> i just did an extensive scan for viruses, spyware, etc., both using
    >> norton and trend micro online...nothing was found.... the only new thing
    >> in my pc is kerio personal firewall....i don't know if that's the reason
    >> i can't suddenly use firefox because i can still use IE6 and netscape...
    >>
    >> please help!

    > 1. Start Task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and look for the firefox.exe process;
    > if you find it, click on End Process.
    >
    > Can you start Firefox now?
    >
    > 2. With FF closed, open your kerio firewall and delete the firefox entry.
    >
    > Can you start FF now?
    >
    > --
    > Irwin
    > EVERYBODY SHOULD TAKE A TOUR OF
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page
    > Managing TB Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile
    > Managing FF Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

    hi all! my problem is solved since i uninstalled mcafee site advisor for
    firefox.... thanks for all your answers.....

    God Bless You All!

  16. Re: I SUDDENLY CAN 'T USE FIREFOX ANYMORE....PLS. HELP!

    mae wrote:
    > "Nir" wrote in message
    > news:15ydnaMLV7GjI7jYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> mae wrote:
    >>> Hi all!
    >>>
    >>> I can't use firefox anymore, but IE6, and netscape is ok....
    >>>
    >>> i don't know what could be causing this....
    >>>
    >>> i open firefox, but i can't even see the firefox window even though in
    >>> the task manager i can see firefox.exe....
    >>>
    >>> i just did an extensive scan for viruses, spyware, etc., both using
    >>> norton and trend micro online...nothing was found.... the only new thing
    >>> in my pc is kerio personal firewall....i don't know if that's the reason
    >>> i can't suddenly use firefox because i can still use IE6 and netscape...
    >>>
    >>> please help!

    >> Try to start Firefox in safe mode : Start > Programs > Firefox[safe mode].
    >> and check whether you are getting same problem or not

    > hi! i can't open firefox in safe mode again...
    >
    > i closed the browser in safe mode to see if it's working ok but when i tried
    > to open it again, i can't open it anymore........firefox-normal mode is
    > same....

    In the Task Manager window, select Firefox.exe and force it to exit.
    Try launching it again. I found that Firefox v. 2.0 does not seem to do
    that, or at least not nearly as frequently. I have not been using it
    for very long.

  17. hanging XP-SP2 processes revert to Win98 stability "workaround";

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Open Task Manager. If you see a running process of firefox.exe, kill it.

    ---------
    This is where I run into problems _*sometimes*_....
    Especially when trying to play multi-media stuff.

    It's hit-or-miss whether or not a MS-download or a video will
    *hang* a program (like FF).

    I have more than one program that will "lock" itself up -- hard, when trying
    to access or download some internet content.

    List (partial) of programs that hang *sometimes*, when downloading content
    (videos or "normal" http downloads). Normal web-browsing doesn't seem
    to be affected; only larger downloads (>> 64K (greater than downloads that
    need multiple 64K download windows). It seems to have something to do with
    TCP receive window shrinking to 0 then not getting reset -- so it just
    hangs -- for some reason, the OS doesn't "timeout" the connection. The
    affected process appears to hang ("Not responding").

    Sometimes FF will throw an exception and Windows will *claim* to close it --
    but it doesn't. Firefox stays around -- just with no open windows.

    When an affected program hangs, not much (if anything, will kill it). In
    _*one*_ case, the affected program exited after ~a minute, but this is 1 time
    out of 100's of hangs under XP-SP2 (all problems started after moving
    to a new computer that came with SP2; yes -- a NEW, (not virii or malware
    laden) computer.

    The only way I have had a "possibility of recovering is a "hit-or-miss",
    closing of process handles via Sysinternal's Process Explorer,
    which 50% of the time causes a complete and instantaneous system reboot.

    I suppose this is a bit off the specific firefox problem, but is
    one that happens alot under FF as it is my primary browser and subject most
    often to this SP2, "download hang" bug.

    The only "standard" way to recover from these hung processes (not using 3rd
    party Procexp) is to reboot the computer, ala Win98-bug-fix methodology. :-(

    -l

  18. [OT]Re: hanging XP-SP2 processes revert to Win98 stability "workaround";

    Linda W wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Open Task Manager. If you see a running process of firefox.exe, kill
    >> it.

    > ---------
    > This is where I run into problems _*sometimes*_....
    > Especially when trying to play multi-media stuff.
    >
    > It's hit-or-miss whether or not a MS-download or a video will
    > *hang* a program (like FF).
    >
    > I have more than one program that will "lock" itself up -- hard,
    > when trying to access or download some internet content.
    >
    > List (partial) of programs that hang *sometimes*, when downloading
    > content (videos or "normal" http downloads). Normal web-browsing
    > doesn't seem
    > to be affected; only larger downloads (>> 64K (greater than downloads
    > that need multiple 64K download windows). It seems to have something to
    > do with TCP receive window shrinking to 0 then not getting reset -- so
    > it just
    > hangs -- for some reason, the OS doesn't "timeout" the connection. The
    > affected process appears to hang ("Not responding").
    >
    > Sometimes FF will throw an exception and Windows will *claim* to
    > close it -- but it doesn't. Firefox stays around -- just with no open
    > windows.
    >
    > When an affected program hangs, not much (if anything, will kill
    > it). In _*one*_ case, the affected program exited after ~a minute, but
    > this is 1 time out of 100's of hangs under XP-SP2 (all problems started
    > after moving
    > to a new computer that came with SP2; yes -- a NEW, (not virii or
    > malware laden) computer.
    >
    > The only way I have had a "possibility of recovering is a
    > "hit-or-miss", closing of process handles via Sysinternal's Process
    > Explorer,
    > which 50% of the time causes a complete and instantaneous system reboot.
    >
    > I suppose this is a bit off the specific firefox problem, but is
    > one that happens alot under FF as it is my primary browser and subject
    > most often to this SP2, "download hang" bug.
    >
    > The only "standard" way to recover from these hung processes (not
    > using 3rd party Procexp) is to reboot the computer, ala Win98-bug-fix
    > methodology. :-(
    >
    > -l

    I recommend you try the DownThemAll extension to alleviate the download
    hangups ou are experiencing: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/201/
    --
    Irwin
    EVERYBODY SHOULD TAKE A TOUR OF
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page
    Managing TB Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile
    Managing FF Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

  19. Re: hanging XP-SP2 processes revert to Win98 stability "workaround";

    Linda W wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Open Task Manager. If you see a running process of firefox.exe, kill
    >> it.

    > ---------
    > This is where I run into problems _*sometimes*_....
    > Especially when trying to play multi-media stuff.
    >
    > It's hit-or-miss whether or not a MS-download or a video will
    > *hang* a program (like FF).
    >
    > I have more than one program that will "lock" itself up -- hard,
    > when trying to access or download some internet content.
    >
    > List (partial) of programs that hang *sometimes*, when downloading
    > content (videos or "normal" http downloads). Normal web-browsing
    > doesn't seem
    > to be affected; only larger downloads (>> 64K (greater than downloads
    > that need multiple 64K download windows). It seems to have something to
    > do with TCP receive window shrinking to 0 then not getting reset -- so
    > it just
    > hangs -- for some reason, the OS doesn't "timeout" the connection. The
    > affected process appears to hang ("Not responding").
    >
    > Sometimes FF will throw an exception and Windows will *claim* to
    > close it -- but it doesn't. Firefox stays around -- just with no open
    > windows.
    >
    > When an affected program hangs, not much (if anything, will kill
    > it). In _*one*_ case, the affected program exited after ~a minute, but
    > this is 1 time out of 100's of hangs under XP-SP2 (all problems started
    > after moving
    > to a new computer that came with SP2; yes -- a NEW, (not virii or
    > malware laden) computer.
    >
    > The only way I have had a "possibility of recovering is a
    > "hit-or-miss", closing of process handles via Sysinternal's Process
    > Explorer,
    > which 50% of the time causes a complete and instantaneous system reboot.
    >
    > I suppose this is a bit off the specific firefox problem, but is
    > one that happens alot under FF as it is my primary browser and subject
    > most often to this SP2, "download hang" bug.
    >
    > The only "standard" way to recover from these hung processes (not
    > using 3rd party Procexp) is to reboot the computer, ala Win98-bug-fix
    > methodology. :-(
    >
    > -l

    You have some problem not related directly to FF. Something seems to be
    wrong with your computer's handling of the TCPIP operations, and this is
    NOT typical of WinXP SP2 installations. Reboots here are done when MS
    sends updates, and VERY rarely for other cases. That is running 3
    computers with WinXp SP2. If this is a new computer, then contact the
    helpdesk for your computer manufacturer and let them help you reinstall
    the communication software.

+ Reply to Thread