Loss of functions - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Loss of functions - Mozilla ; Hi, Any help on the following issues would be appreciated. There are several different symptons which may or may not be related but all happened at the same time. After an extended period of it working I opened firefox one ...

  1. Loss of functions

    Hi,
    Any help on the following issues would be appreciated. There are several
    different symptons which may or may not be related but all happened at the
    same time.
    After an extended period of it working I opened firefox one day (on an xp
    pro machine) to find the following:
    a) All my favourites folders had disappeared
    b) F.F was now opening in a reduced (ie not full screen) window
    c)The search bar in the top right ceased to function
    d)The function of highlighting a text, right clicking and searching the web
    ceased to function (although the option still appeared)

    Initially I put back in some of my old favourites but then after a while the
    lack of the search beacme frustrating so I uninstalled Firefox. When I
    reinstalled it came back exactly as it had just been, inculding the
    favourites I had just readded. I uninstalled again and went through my
    hardrive deleting everything I could find connected top Firefox but when I
    reninstalled it was exactly the same, although I have no idea where it is
    saving this information.

    As it stands I have now added a new Google search bar below the address line
    but the search bar to the right of the address bar doesn't work and won't
    let me add new engines from the FF plugin page, and it still opens in as
    reduced window.

    Any suggestions on how to rectify these problems gratefully received.

    BTW I checked, there is only one profile so it's not that, and the xpinstall
    config stetting is enabled.

    Thanks,
    Neil

  2. Re: Loss of functions

    On 26.09.2006 12:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Neil to
    generate the following:? :

    >Hi,
    >Any help on the following issues would be appreciated. There are several
    >different symptons which may or may not be related but all happened at the
    >same time.
    >After an extended period of it working I opened firefox one day (on an xp
    >pro machine) to find the following:
    >a) All my favourites folders had disappeared
    >b) F.F was now opening in a reduced (ie not full screen) window
    >c)The search bar in the top right ceased to function
    >d)The function of highlighting a text, right clicking and searching the web
    >ceased to function (although the option still appeared)
    >
    >Initially I put back in some of my old favourites but then after a while the
    >lack of the search beacme frustrating so I uninstalled Firefox. When I
    >reinstalled it came back exactly as it had just been, inculding the
    >favourites I had just readded. I uninstalled again and went through my
    >hardrive deleting everything I could find connected top Firefox but when I
    >reninstalled it was exactly the same, although I have no idea where it is
    >saving this information.
    >
    >As it stands I have now added a new Google search bar below the address line
    >but the search bar to the right of the address bar doesn't work and won't
    >let me add new engines from the FF plugin page, and it still opens in as
    >reduced window.
    >
    >Any suggestions on how to rectify these problems gratefully received.
    >
    >BTW I checked, there is only one profile so it's not that, and the xpinstall
    >config stetting is enabled.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Neil

    firstly - STOP in- and uninstalling! Your problem (most likely) lies
    with the profile, and that is *not* in the installation folder!

    CLOSE FF
    click the Windows Start button
    click Run
    enter Firefox.exe -p into the text field (note: there is a SPACE
    between the exe and -p)
    click OK

    this will open your profile manager... look to see if there are more
    than one profiles listed

    if "yes", mark a different profile and open FF
    see if your FF works properly!

    If not, let us know *exactly* what you did and what you saw (lists,
    reports, errors etc.... anything that shows)

    If it works, also let us know...

    reg

  3. Re: Loss of functions

    On 09/26/2006 05:22 AM, Neil wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Any help on the following issues would be appreciated. There are several
    > different symptons which may or may not be related but all happened at the
    > same time.
    > After an extended period of it working I opened firefox one day (on an xp
    > pro machine) to find the following:
    > a) All my favourites folders had disappeared
    > b) F.F was now opening in a reduced (ie not full screen) window
    > c)The search bar in the top right ceased to function
    > d)The function of highlighting a text, right clicking and searching the web
    > ceased to function (although the option still appeared)
    >
    > Initially I put back in some of my old favourites but then after a while the
    > lack of the search beacme frustrating so I uninstalled Firefox. When I
    > reinstalled it came back exactly as it had just been, inculding the
    > favourites I had just readded. I uninstalled again and went through my
    > hardrive deleting everything I could find connected top Firefox but when I
    > reninstalled it was exactly the same, although I have no idea where it is
    > saving this information.
    >
    > As it stands I have now added a new Google search bar below the address line
    > but the search bar to the right of the address bar doesn't work and won't
    > let me add new engines from the FF plugin page, and it still opens in as
    > reduced window.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to rectify these problems gratefully received.
    >
    > BTW I checked, there is only one profile so it's not that, and the xpinstall
    > config stetting is enabled.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Neil

    I think your profile has been corrupted.

    I would advise you to create a new profile and import your bookmarks.
    However, install as few extensions into the new profile as reasonable,
    because buggy extensions can cause problems for Firefox.

    --
    paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net

  4. Re: Loss of functions

    Neil wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Any help on the following issues would be appreciated. There are several
    > different symptons which may or may not be related but all happened at the
    > same time.
    > After an extended period of it working I opened firefox one day (on an xp
    > pro machine) to find the following:
    > a) All my favourites folders had disappeared
    > b) F.F was now opening in a reduced (ie not full screen) window
    > c)The search bar in the top right ceased to function
    > d)The function of highlighting a text, right clicking and searching the web
    > ceased to function (although the option still appeared)
    >
    > Initially I put back in some of my old favourites but then after a while the
    > lack of the search beacme frustrating so I uninstalled Firefox. When I
    > reinstalled it came back exactly as it had just been, inculding the
    > favourites I had just readded. I uninstalled again and went through my
    > hardrive deleting everything I could find connected top Firefox but when I
    > reninstalled it was exactly the same, although I have no idea where it is
    > saving this information.
    >
    > As it stands I have now added a new Google search bar below the address line
    > but the search bar to the right of the address bar doesn't work and won't
    > let me add new engines from the FF plugin page, and it still opens in as
    > reduced window.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to rectify these problems gratefully received.
    >
    > BTW I checked, there is only one profile so it's not that, and the xpinstall
    > config stetting is enabled.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Neil

    1st. Switch to Default Theme ( Tools>theme) and check

    if you still getting same problem , start Firefox in safe mode as
    squaredancer has already mentioned.

    also you may try this : completely close Firefox. goto your profile
    folder (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Firefox)
    rename 'localstore.rdf' file to 'localstore.rdf.backup'
    Start Firefox and check.

+ Reply to Thread