How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse - Mozilla ; I enter a username and password into the "prompt" dialog when I visit various password-secured sites (including some I use every day for work). Unfortunately, this dialog does not get the focus by default (v 1.5.0.7 and many before it). ...

  1. How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse

    I enter a username and password into the "prompt" dialog when I visit
    various password-secured sites (including some I use every day for
    work).

    Unfortunately, this dialog does not get the focus by default (v 1.5.0.7
    and many before it). I can't tab to it. Is there any way to get to
    this box without using a mouse?

  2. Re: How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse

    bakert wrote:
    > Unfortunately, this dialog does not get the focus by default (v 1.5.0.7
    > and many before it). I can't tab to it. Is there any way to get to
    > this box without using a mouse?

    I should clarify this a bit. It does get the focus if I go straight to
    the page. What happens is I start loading the page with a keyboard
    shortcut and before Firefox has finished loading I go do something
    else. When I Alt-Tab back to the window nothing I do seems to put the
    focus on the prompt, only on the underlying window. Any ideas?

  3. Re: How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse

    bakert wrote:
    > I enter a username and password into the "prompt" dialog when I visit
    > various password-secured sites (including some I use every day for
    > work).
    >
    > Unfortunately, this dialog does not get the focus by default (v 1.5.0.7
    > and many before it). I can't tab to it. Is there any way to get to
    > this box without using a mouse?

    can you provide link of such site so that we also can check it. Thanks

  4. Re: How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse

    Nir wrote:
    > bakert wrote:
    > > I enter a username and password into the "prompt" dialog when I visit
    > > various password-secured sites (including some I use every day for
    > > work).
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, this dialog does not get the focus by default (v 1.5.0.7
    > > and many before it). I can't tab to it. Is there any way to get to
    > > this box without using a mouse?

    > can you provide link of such site so that we also can check it. Thanks

    The only ones I can think of are internal at work. But I just mean the
    standard login prompt for a site with HTTP authentication. Any site
    that uses that type of login (not an HTML form, but before you see the
    page at all).

    Thanks for looking at this,

    Tom

  5. Re: How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse

    Nir wrote:
    > can you provide link of such site so that we also can check it. Thanks

    Steps to reproduce problem:

    (This is on Ubuntu Linux 6.06.1 with Gnome, Firefox 1.5.0.7 and many
    versions previously.)

    1. Visit http://www.123-reg.co.uk/
    2. Click on "Login to your Control Panel"
    3. Alt-Tab away from Firefox.
    4. Alt-Tab back to Firefox

    Voila, you can't get the focus into the login box with the keyboard.
    You must use the mouse.

    Any ideas?

  6. Re: How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse

    On 09/25/2006 03:54 AM, bakert wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> can you provide link of such site so that we also can check it. Thanks

    > Steps to reproduce problem:
    >
    > (This is on Ubuntu Linux 6.06.1 with Gnome, Firefox 1.5.0.7 and many
    > versions previously.)
    >
    > 1. Visit http://www.123-reg.co.uk/
    > 2. Click on "Login to your Control Panel"
    > 3. Alt-Tab away from Firefox.
    > 4. Alt-Tab back to Firefox
    >
    > Voila, you can't get the focus into the login box with the keyboard.
    > You must use the mouse.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    It worked for me. I have javascript disabled, and when I clicked onto
    "Login to Control Panel," I got an HTTP authentication request dialog
    box. I used Alt-Tab to focus another FX window, then I Alt-Tabbed to a
    nautilus window, then I Alt-Tabbed back to the auth. dialog. The focus
    was automatically put on the user-name box.

    FX 1.5.0.6 (theme: default)
    Gnome 2.8.1 (theme: Glider)
    Debian 3.1

    --
    paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net

  7. Re: How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse

    bakert wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> can you provide link of such site so that we also can check it. Thanks

    > Steps to reproduce problem:
    >
    > (This is on Ubuntu Linux 6.06.1 with Gnome, Firefox 1.5.0.7 and many
    > versions previously.)
    >
    > 1. Visit http://www.123-reg.co.uk/
    > 2. Click on "Login to your Control Panel"
    > 3. Alt-Tab away from Firefox.
    > 4. Alt-Tab back to Firefox
    >
    > Voila, you can't get the focus into the login box with the keyboard.
    > You must use the mouse.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    works fine here ( Fedora 5 , KDE , Firefox-1.5.0.7 )
    switch back to Default Theme ( Tools>Themes ) and check.
    also check it under safe mode .
    cd
    './firefox' -safe-mode

  8. Re: How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse

    > It worked for me. I have javascript disabled, and when I clicked onto
    > "Login to Control Panel," I got an HTTP authentication request dialog
    > box. I used Alt-Tab to focus another FX window, then I Alt-Tabbed to a
    > nautilus window, then I Alt-Tabbed back to the auth. dialog. The focus
    > was automatically put on the user-name box.

    So you can see the auth. dialog (it has "Prompt" in the titlebar for
    me) as a separate thing to alt-tab too, or it gets focus when you
    alt-tab back to the 123-reg.co.uk window?

    Thanks for checking.

  9. Re: How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse

    > works fine here ( Fedora 5 , KDE , Firefox-1.5.0.7 )
    > switch back to Default Theme ( Tools>Themes ) and check.
    > also check it under safe mode .
    > cd
    > './firefox' -safe-mode

    I tried both of these and go the same behaviour. I'm going to try it
    under KDE and see if I get the same thing.

  10. Re: How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse

    > works fine here ( Fedora 5 , KDE , Firefox-1.5.0.7 )
    > switch back to Default Theme ( Tools>Themes ) and check.
    > also check it under safe mode .
    > cd
    > './firefox' -safe-mode

    I tried both of these and got the same behaviour. I'm going to try it
    under KDE and see if I get the same thing.

  11. Re: How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse

    > There's a setting (somewhere) that gives focus to whatever the mouse
    > cursor is over after X seconds. It could be set and stealing focus or
    > maybe setting it will recover focus.
    > Might have a play with that...

    Nice idea but I am using the default mouse behaviour in Dapper which
    doesn't do anything like that. Good try though!

  12. Re: How to Enter a Username and Password Without Using Your Mouse

    > I tried both of these and go the same behaviour. I'm going to try it
    > under KDE and see if I get the same thing.

    OK, under KDE I get a separate window that I can Alt-Tab too called
    "Prompt" and everything is just peachy.

    So I suppose this is not much to do with firefox and instead to do with
    Gnome setup. It just only occurs in relation to firefox. I wonder
    what people who have it working under Gnome are doing differently to me?

+ Reply to Thread