Saving target discrepency - FireFox and IE - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Saving target discrepency - FireFox and IE - Mozilla ; I have switched from Inferior Experience (IE) to Firefox, and thusfar have had only one problem. It is in regard to saving target links. I subscribe to a voicemail service that also makes messages available as mp3s via a web ...

  1. Saving target discrepency - FireFox and IE

    I have switched from Inferior Experience (IE) to Firefox, and thusfar have
    had only one problem. It is in regard to saving target links.

    I subscribe to a voicemail service that also makes messages available as
    mp3s via a web interface. So using IE I go into the service, get a list of
    my voicemail, right-click on a message, select 'save target as', the 'save
    as' dialogue pops up and it asks me where I want to store the mp3.

    When I try this in FireFox I get asked where I want to store the .cgi file.
    Not good. Not good at all.

    Fortunately, the IE extension works fine and I can still get my voicemail
    the way I am used to and not have to leave firefox. But I thought you should
    know.

    btw, a sample link is:

    https://login.katewwdb.com/cgi-bin/i...P6g%3D&__=.mp3

  2. Re: Saving target discrepency - FireFox and IE

    Chris Smith wrote:
    > I have switched from Inferior Experience (IE) to Firefox, and thusfar have
    > had only one problem. It is in regard to saving target links.
    >
    > I subscribe to a voicemail service that also makes messages available as
    > mp3s via a web interface. So using IE I go into the service, get a list of
    > my voicemail, right-click on a message, select 'save target as', the 'save
    > as' dialogue pops up and it asks me where I want to store the mp3.
    >
    > When I try this in FireFox I get asked where I want to store the .cgi file.
    > Not good. Not good at all.

    Have you tried left clicking?

  3. Re: Saving target discrepency - FireFox and IE

    "Aggro" wrote in message
    news:C5ydnWGxj7U9a47YnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Chris Smith wrote:
    >> I have switched from Inferior Experience (IE) to Firefox, and thusfar
    >> have had only one problem. It is in regard to saving target links.
    >>
    >> I subscribe to a voicemail service that also makes messages available as
    >> mp3s via a web interface. So using IE I go into the service, get a list
    >> of my voicemail, right-click on a message, select 'save target as', the
    >> 'save as' dialogue pops up and it asks me where I want to store the mp3.
    >>
    >> When I try this in FireFox I get asked where I want to store the .cgi
    >> file. Not good. Not good at all.

    > Have you tried left clicking?

    Yes, I have. When I left-click a new window opens and the mp3 begins to
    play. That works fine, but that is not how I use it. I like to download all
    my messages, then listen to them off-line at my leisure, or even on my MP3
    player.

  4. Re: Saving target discrepency - FireFox and IE

    On 09/22/2006 09:32 AM, Chris Smith wrote:
    > I have switched from Inferior Experience (IE) to Firefox, and thusfar have
    > had only one problem. It is in regard to saving target links.
    >
    > I subscribe to a voicemail service that also makes messages available as
    > mp3s via a web interface. So using IE I go into the service, get a list of
    > my voicemail, right-click on a message, select 'save target as', the 'save
    > as' dialogue pops up and it asks me where I want to store the mp3.
    >
    > When I try this in FireFox I get asked where I want to store the .cgi file.
    > Not good. Not good at all.
    >
    > Fortunately, the IE extension works fine and I can still get my voicemail
    > the way I am used to and not have to leave firefox. But I thought you should
    > know.
    >
    > btw, a sample link is:
    >
    > https://login.katewwdb.com/cgi-bin/i...P6g%3D&__=.mp3

    This URL is probably associated with your account because I get
    redirected to a logout page. Also I'm running with javascript disabled.

    --
    paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net

  5. Re: Saving target discrepency - FireFox and IE

    Chris Smith wrote:
    > I have switched from Inferior Experience (IE) to Firefox, and thusfar have
    > had only one problem. It is in regard to saving target links.
    >
    > I subscribe to a voicemail service that also makes messages available as
    > mp3s via a web interface. So using IE I go into the service, get a list of
    > my voicemail, right-click on a message, select 'save target as', the 'save
    > as' dialogue pops up and it asks me where I want to store the mp3.
    >
    > When I try this in FireFox I get asked where I want to store the .cgi file.
    > Not good. Not good at all.
    >
    > Fortunately, the IE extension works fine and I can still get my voicemail
    > the way I am used to and not have to leave firefox. But I thought you should
    > know.
    >
    > btw, a sample link is:
    >
    > https://login.katewwdb.com/cgi-bin/i...P6g%3D&__=.mp3

    If you replace the .cgi filename with a .mp3 filename, then go ahead
    and save it, can you play the resultant file?

    - Andrew W Applegarth

  6. Re: Saving target discrepency - FireFox and IE

    "Andrew W Applegarth" wrote in message
    news:9IOdnatCZ9fAtInYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Chris Smith wrote:
    >> I have switched from Inferior Experience (IE) to Firefox, and thusfar
    >> have had only one problem. It is in regard to saving target links.
    >>
    >> I subscribe to a voicemail service that also makes messages available as
    >> mp3s via a web interface. So using IE I go into the service, get a list
    >> of my voicemail, right-click on a message, select 'save target as', the
    >> 'save as' dialogue pops up and it asks me where I want to store the mp3.
    >>
    >> When I try this in FireFox I get asked where I want to store the .cgi
    >> file. Not good. Not good at all.
    >>
    >> Fortunately, the IE extension works fine and I can still get my voicemail
    >> the way I am used to and not have to leave firefox. But I thought you
    >> should know.
    >>
    >> btw, a sample link is:
    >>
    >> https://login.katewwdb.com/cgi-bin/i...P6g%3D&__=.mp3

    > If you replace the .cgi filename with a .mp3 filename, then go ahead
    > and save it, can you play the resultant file?
    >
    > - Andrew W Applegarth

    Yes I can! I never would have thought of that one.

  7. Re: Saving target discrepency - FireFox and IE

    _Chris Smith_ spoke thusly on 22/09/2006 2:50 PM:
    > "Andrew W Applegarth" wrote in message
    > news:9IOdnatCZ9fAtInYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> If you replace the .cgi filename with a .mp3 filename, then go ahead
    >> and save it, can you play the resultant file?

    > Yes I can! I never would have thought of that one.

    If the CGI file is indeed the actual MP3, you can try this:
    Go to Tools-->Options-->Downloads.
    Click on "View & Edit Actions".
    Search for 'mp3', select it, and clink on "Change Action".
    Set it to "Save them on my computer".

    There may be more than one MP3 entry in the list. That's because MP3s
    can be served as different MIME types. Eventually, you'll find the one
    katewwdb.com is using for their MP3s, and the rest can be set back to
    where they were.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator