Global Profile - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Global Profile - Mozilla ; I am trying to get a single (mandatory) profile for Firefox 1.5 that will apply to all users on several workstations. I have used the Profile Manager, pointed it to the profile on our server and told it not to ...

  1. Global Profile

    I am trying to get a single (mandatory) profile for Firefox 1.5 that
    will apply to all users on several workstations. I have used the
    Profile Manager, pointed it to the profile on our server and told it
    not to ask for a profile name at startup. However, when I log on as any
    user other than the one who installed it, Firefox will not start at
    all. Double clicking the icon or a program menu shortcut seems to do
    nothing.

    According to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Roaming_profile "this is very
    easy": not in my experience.

    The problem seems to hinge on the default location of the file
    PROFILES.INI. According to the documentation at
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile, on Windows XP and 2000,
    this is stored within the profile of the user that installed Firefox
    (for example, C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
    Data\Mozilla). As this is a private folder, other users will not have
    permission to read it. This seems a bizarre location to store the file
    - C:\Program Files\Mozilla etc would be much more logical. Our
    computers are running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.

    Can anyone throw any light on this? (Apologies if this has been covered
    before - I have done a search and could not find this specific problem
    mentioned.)

    I originally posted about this back in June but got no replies. I am
    now forced by Internet Explorer's persistent failures to try Firefox
    again. Google Groups won't let me continue that thread, so I've had to
    start a new one... (Yes, it's "one of those days")

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Global Profile

    John_Gateshead wrote:
    > I am trying to get a single (mandatory) profile for Firefox 1.5 that
    > will apply to all users on several workstations. I have used the
    > Profile Manager, pointed it to the profile on our server and told it
    > not to ask for a profile name at startup.

    How you have make Profile manager pointed to the profile folder ,
    located at server?
    Have you tried it in this way : " choose to create a new profile
    from within the Profile Manager; when prompted for the
    installation folder browse to and select your existing profile
    folder " ?
    >However, when I log on as any
    > user other than the one who installed it, Firefox will not start at

    Are you using same Windows account in which Firefox is set to use
    roaming profile?
    > all. Double clicking the icon or a program menu shortcut seems to do
    > nothing.

    According to my knowledge if Firefox can't find any profile folder
    , it show 'profile in use' alert.
    Have your tried to start at safe mode ( to start Firefox in safe
    mode : Start > Programs > Firefox[safe mode] )?
    > According to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Roaming_profile "this is very
    > easy": not in my experience.
    >
    > The problem seems to hinge on the default location of the file
    > PROFILES.INI.

    You can use roaming profile without editing profiles.ini file.
    Just check this :
    Goto Start > Run
    Type
    firefox.exe -profile "~path of roaming profile folder that is
    located at server~"

    >According to the documentation at
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile, on Windows XP and 2000,
    > this is stored within the profile of the user that installed Firefox
    > (for example, C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
    > Data\Mozilla). As this is a private folder, other users will not have
    > permission to read it. This seems a bizarre location to store the file
    > - C:\Program Files\Mozilla etc would be much more logical. Our
    > computers are running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.
    >
    > Can anyone throw any light on this? (Apologies if this has been covered
    > before - I have done a search and could not find this specific problem
    > mentioned.)
    >
    > I originally posted about this back in June but got no replies. I am
    > now forced by Internet Explorer's persistent failures to try Firefox
    > again. Google Groups won't let me continue that thread, so I've had to
    > start a new one... (Yes, it's "one of those days")
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Global Profile

    On 09/21/2006 10:53 AM, John_Gateshead wrote:
    > I am trying to get a single (mandatory) profile for Firefox 1.5 that
    > will apply to all users on several workstations. [...]

    This is probably going to be horribly difficult because FX wasn't
    designed to allow a corporate policy to enable or restrict FX features.
    You probably want to create a similar working environment for all the
    users that complies with corporate policies.

    Unfortunately, AFAIK, there is no "Network Security Manager" application
    for FX, so (if this is possible) you'll have to get into the internals
    of FX.

    This is my idea:

    1) Create a suitable global profile on a networked drive, e.g. N:.

    2) Create ramdisks on the Windows machines.

    3) Create a script (or batch file named firefox.bat) that copies the
    global profile to the ramdisk before starting FX. This script should
    also set profiles.ini (wherever it is located) to a known good value
    before starting FX. This profiles.ini should reference the profile on
    the ramdisk.

    4) Make sure that FX's startup program is not available on the system
    paths on the Windows machines so that people who type "firefox" into a
    command prompt will get your script instead of the FX binary.

    5) Change the FX shortcuts to start your script rather than the FX
    binary, or install the zip version of FX which, I assume, doesn't
    automatically create shortcuts.

    Note, I have no experience doing this. It's been years since I've had to
    use Windows on a regular basis. Good luck.

    --
    paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net

+ Reply to Thread