Send Page Tab in FIREFOX - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Send Page Tab in FIREFOX - Mozilla ; Wanting to move from Mozilla to Firefox I installed the latter and I am generally very pleased with this new product. However, the fact that the "Send Page" Tab has been replaced by the, for me, useless "Send Link" option ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    Wanting to move from Mozilla to Firefox I installed the latter and I am
    generally very pleased with this new product. However, the fact that the
    "Send Page" Tab has been replaced by the, for me, useless "Send Link" option
    is annoying. Very often I need to forward pages which change their content
    frequently in the state they are right at the moment of the forwarding. This
    "Send Link" solution is therefore not good enough for me. So if I want to
    send a page, I have to load Mozilla or any other similar program, thus
    duplicate my browsing, which is not exactly what I would call an efficient
    use of a PC. In one of the discussion groups I found a description of a
    method which allows to add a "Send Page" function, but it seems rather
    clumsy and complicated. Is there any hope that the "Send Page" tab will
    become part of Firefox any time soon? Or is a better solution than the one
    just referred to above in the making or even existing somewhere? Thanks for
    any help.

  2. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    r.grossenbacher@attglobal.net wrote:
    > Wanting to move from Mozilla to Firefox I installed the latter and I am
    > generally very pleased with this new product. However, the fact that the
    > "Send Page" Tab has been replaced by the, for me, useless "Send Link" option
    > is annoying. Very often I need to forward pages which change their content
    > frequently in the state they are right at the moment of the forwarding. This
    > "Send Link" solution is therefore not good enough for me. So if I want to
    > send a page, I have to load Mozilla or any other similar program, thus
    > duplicate my browsing, which is not exactly what I would call an efficient
    > use of a PC. In one of the discussion groups I found a description of a
    > method which allows to add a "Send Page" function, but it seems rather
    > clumsy and complicated. Is there any hope that the "Send Page" tab will
    > become part of Firefox any time soon? Or is a better solution than the one
    > just referred to above in the making or even existing somewhere? Thanks for
    > any help.

    Oft requested but not quite as easy as it sounds.

    Firefox doesnt know what your email program is, it doesnt know what its
    capable of.
    All it knows about email is to hand it off to the system, the system
    then launches the default mail application.

    Ergo, for Firefox to blindly assume that you have a mail application
    capable of sending such, , is simply not kosher.

    The Suite (Mozilla) had it easy. It KNEW its mail program was capable.

    Besides its often better to send just the link rather than the entire
    web page.
    If you send a link the recipient can decide on their own if they have
    the time or disposition to view the page. Maybe they have to run right
    now, but will have time tonight, or on the weekend. By sending it in
    mail you are forcing it on them whether or not they want it.
    Web pages can run to 10MB or more, and even in this day of Gmail, 10MB
    is still the average mailbox size. If you send the message, and the
    person isnt connected, you fill up the entire mailbox, prevening him
    from getting any other mail until he/she downloads yours (whether or not
    they want it).
    Web pages can change/be modified. What if the one you are sending
    contains an error, that is corrected on the site after you send it? The
    person is either stuck with outdated/wrong information or he has to go
    to the website anyway - so whats the advntage of mailing the page to them?
    Some people HATE to get HTML in email. So they wont see it anyway.

    There is no compelling reason to use Send Page, Send Link is much more
    appropriate, time sensitive, time effective, efficient and courteous.

  3. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    _r.grossenbacher@attglobal.net_ spoke thusly on 21/09/2006 2:20 AM:
    > Wanting to move from Mozilla to Firefox I installed the latter and I am
    > generally very pleased with this new product. However, the fact that the
    > "Send Page" Tab has been replaced by the, for me, useless "Send Link" option
    > is annoying.

    > Is there any hope that the "Send Page" tab will
    > become part of Firefox any time soon? Or is a better solution than the one
    > just referred to above in the making or even existing somewhere?

    Depending on why you switched to Firefox, you want to try SeaMonkey,
    which has the 'Send Page' feature.

    More info: .

    Perhaps the Send Page By Email extension will cover what you want.

    Of course, there's always the trusty option of saving the HTML file, and
    attaching it to a message.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  4. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    r.grossenbacher@attglobal.net wrote:
    > Wanting to move from Mozilla to Firefox I installed the latter and I am
    > generally very pleased with this new product. However, the fact that the
    > "Send Page" Tab has been replaced by the, for me, useless "Send Link" option
    > is annoying. Very often I need to forward pages which change their content
    > frequently in the state they are right at the moment of the forwarding. This
    > "Send Link" solution is therefore not good enough for me. So if I want to
    > send a page, I have to load Mozilla or any other similar program, thus
    > duplicate my browsing, which is not exactly what I would call an efficient
    > use of a PC. In one of the discussion groups I found a description of a
    > method which allows to add a "Send Page" function, but it seems rather
    > clumsy and complicated. Is there any hope that the "Send Page" tab will
    > become part of Firefox any time soon? Or is a better solution than the one
    > just referred to above in the making or even existing somewhere? Thanks for
    > any help.

    I hate it when people send me an entire page. I would prefer them to
    send a link, and I'll go visit the site myself.

    --
    Linguistic Evolution continued . . . In the third year, publik
    akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage

  5. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    gwtc wrote:
    > r.grossenbacher@attglobal.net wrote:
    >> Wanting to move from Mozilla to Firefox I installed the latter and I
    >> am generally very pleased with this new product. However, the fact
    >> that the "Send Page" Tab has been replaced by the, for me, useless
    >> "Send Link" option is annoying. Very often I need to forward pages
    >> which change their content frequently in the state they are right at
    >> the moment of the forwarding. This "Send Link" solution is therefore
    >> not good enough for me. So if I want to send a page, I have to load
    >> Mozilla or any other similar program, thus duplicate my browsing,
    >> which is not exactly what I would call an efficient use of a PC. In
    >> one of the discussion groups I found a description of a method which
    >> allows to add a "Send Page" function, but it seems rather clumsy and
    >> complicated. Is there any hope that the "Send Page" tab will become
    >> part of Firefox any time soon? Or is a better solution than the one
    >> just referred to above in the making or even existing somewhere?
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>

    > I hate it when people send me an entire page. I would prefer them to
    > send a link, and I'll go visit the site myself.

    But note, the OP has a legitimate reason for sending the page, which
    changes frequently. As long as he knows his recipients expect this, and
    do not mind it, its okay. Just don't send entire pages to me!

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  6. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    On 21.09.2006 07:49, gwtc wrote:

    >> Wanting to move from Mozilla to Firefox I installed the latter and I am
    >> generally very pleased with this new product. However, the fact that the
    >> "Send Page" Tab has been replaced by the, for me, useless "Send Link" option
    >> is annoying. Very often I need to forward pages which change their content
    >> frequently in the state they are right at the moment of the forwarding. This
    >> "Send Link" solution is therefore not good enough for me. So if I want to
    >> send a page, I have to load Mozilla or any other similar program, thus
    >> duplicate my browsing, which is not exactly what I would call an efficient
    >> use of a PC. In one of the discussion groups I found a description of a
    >> method which allows to add a "Send Page" function, but it seems rather
    >> clumsy and complicated. Is there any hope that the "Send Page" tab will
    >> become part of Firefox any time soon? Or is a better solution than the one
    >> just referred to above in the making or even existing somewhere? Thanks for
    >> any help.
    >>

    > I hate it when people send me an entire page. I would prefer them to
    > send a link, and I'll go visit the site myself.

    Then leave your view options in plain-text mode and html on an as-needed
    basis when needed.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  7. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Besides its often better to send just the link rather than the entire
    > web page.
    > If you send a link the recipient can decide on their own if they have
    > the time or disposition to view the page. Maybe they have to run right
    > now, but will have time tonight, or on the weekend. By sending it in
    > mail you are forcing it on them whether or not they want it.
    > Web pages can run to 10MB or more, and even in this day of Gmail, 10MB
    > is still the average mailbox size. If you send the message, and the
    > person isnt connected, you fill up the entire mailbox, prevening him
    > from getting any other mail until he/she downloads yours (whether or not
    > they want it).
    > Web pages can change/be modified. What if the one you are sending
    > contains an error, that is corrected on the site after you send it? The
    > person is either stuck with outdated/wrong information or he has to go
    > to the website anyway - so whats the advntage of mailing the page to them?
    > Some people HATE to get HTML in email. So they wont see it anyway.
    >
    > There is no compelling reason to use Send Page, Send Link is much more
    > appropriate, time sensitive, time effective, efficient and courteous.

    Yeah right, again the same old "ATTEC" argument. ;-)

    The major reason why the SEND PAGE option in Mozilla suite is ultra
    useful is to capture selected visited web pages as the mail drafts (to
    oneself). Since discovering such use, I have collected a nice library on
    many subjects of interest. It is local, it is robust to the potential
    disappearance of the original/source web page, and it is searchable.

    This loss of functionality (versus Mozilla) is one of two main reasons
    keeping me from full replacement of Mozilla by Firefox.

    Just my two cents,
    --John

  8. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    John Smith wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Besides its often better to send just the link rather than the entire
    >> web page.
    >> If you send a link the recipient can decide on their own if they have
    >> the time or disposition to view the page. Maybe they have to run right
    >> now, but will have time tonight, or on the weekend. By sending it in
    >> mail you are forcing it on them whether or not they want it.
    >> Web pages can run to 10MB or more, and even in this day of Gmail, 10MB
    >> is still the average mailbox size. If you send the message, and the
    >> person isnt connected, you fill up the entire mailbox, prevening him
    >> from getting any other mail until he/she downloads yours (whether or
    >> not they want it).
    >> Web pages can change/be modified. What if the one you are sending
    >> contains an error, that is corrected on the site after you send it?
    >> The person is either stuck with outdated/wrong information or he has
    >> to go to the website anyway - so whats the advntage of mailing the
    >> page to them?
    >> Some people HATE to get HTML in email. So they wont see it anyway.
    >>
    >> There is no compelling reason to use Send Page, Send Link is much more
    >> appropriate, time sensitive, time effective, efficient and courteous.

    > Yeah right, again the same old "ATTEC" argument. ;-)
    >
    > The major reason why the SEND PAGE option in Mozilla suite is ultra
    > useful is to capture selected visited web pages as the mail drafts (to
    > oneself). Since discovering such use, I have collected a nice library on
    > many subjects of interest. It is local, it is robust to the potential
    > disappearance of the original/source web page, and it is searchable.
    >
    > This loss of functionality (versus Mozilla) is one of two main reasons
    > keeping me from full replacement of Mozilla by Firefox.
    >
    > Just my two cents,
    > --John

    Whats wrong with File-->Save Page As...

  9. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 05:46:40 -0500, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > John Smith wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>> Besides its often better to send just the link rather than the entire
    >>> web page.
    >>> If you send a link the recipient can decide on their own if they have
    >>> the time or disposition to view the page. Maybe they have to run right
    >>> now, but will have time tonight, or on the weekend. By sending it in
    >>> mail you are forcing it on them whether or not they want it.
    >>> Web pages can run to 10MB or more, and even in this day of Gmail, 10MB
    >>> is still the average mailbox size. If you send the message, and the
    >>> person isnt connected, you fill up the entire mailbox, prevening him
    >>> from getting any other mail until he/she downloads yours (whether or
    >>> not they want it).
    >>> Web pages can change/be modified. What if the one you are sending
    >>> contains an error, that is corrected on the site after you send it?
    >>> The person is either stuck with outdated/wrong information or he has
    >>> to go to the website anyway - so whats the advntage of mailing the
    >>> page to them?
    >>> Some people HATE to get HTML in email. So they wont see it anyway.
    >>>
    >>> There is no compelling reason to use Send Page, Send Link is much more
    >>> appropriate, time sensitive, time effective, efficient and courteous.

    >> Yeah right, again the same old "ATTEC" argument. ;-)
    >>
    >> The major reason why the SEND PAGE option in Mozilla suite is ultra
    >> useful is to capture selected visited web pages as the mail drafts (to
    >> oneself). Since discovering such use, I have collected a nice library on
    >> many subjects of interest. It is local, it is robust to the potential
    >> disappearance of the original/source web page, and it is searchable.
    >>
    >> This loss of functionality (versus Mozilla) is one of two main reasons
    >> keeping me from full replacement of Mozilla by Firefox.
    >>
    >> Just my two cents,
    >> --John

    > Whats wrong with File-->Save Page As...

    Because if one has a 10 year collection of saved pages in their mail
    archives, in mail format, it's foolish to have to start saving pages in a
    different format in a different place.

    Pages saved in mail format is searchable. Save Page As doesn't save pages
    in any way that is searchable.

    I know of another long time user that won't use Firefox for the very same
    reason.

    --
    Frank Tabor
    My mother is a fish.

  10. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    Frank Tabor wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 05:46:40 -0500, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> John Smith wrote:

    >>> Yeah right, again the same old "ATTEC" argument. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> The major reason why the SEND PAGE option in Mozilla suite is ultra
    >>> useful is to capture selected visited web pages as the mail drafts (to
    >>> oneself). Since discovering such use, I have collected a nice library on
    >>> many subjects of interest. It is local, it is robust to the potential
    >>> disappearance of the original/source web page, and it is searchable.
    >>>
    >>> This loss of functionality (versus Mozilla) is one of two main reasons
    >>> keeping me from full replacement of Mozilla by Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Just my two cents,
    >>> --John

    >> Whats wrong with File-->Save Page As...

    > Because if one has a 10 year collection of saved pages in their mail
    > archives, in mail format, it's foolish to have to start saving pages in a
    > different format in a different place.
    >
    > Pages saved in mail format is searchable. Save Page As doesn't save pages
    > in any way that is searchable.
    >
    > I know of another long time user that won't use Firefox for the very same
    > reason.

    File-->Save Page As

    Compose an email, copy paste

    same format as previously.

    Not to say thats its a PITA, but thats how I work it.

  11. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    "Frank Tabor"
    > Pages saved in mail format is searchable.
    > Save Page As doesn't save pages
    > in any way that is searchable.

    Searching mail such as with Outlook Express allows
    you to include one string per subject, author, message text.
    Not very good. I don't know what yours does.
    Are you saving it at Google (GMail) with web search
    type capability.

    There is Google Desktop search, allows you to search
    your stuff on your machine, but the various desktop
    search engines provided by search companies for
    personal PC use have all proved impractical for me.

    What I do use on my own web pages is "Agent Ransack",
    http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
    the free version allows only one string for searching
    but you can filter on pathname and filename/extensions
    your search can be a Regular Expression.
    The results will show you your string in a one line context
    for each hit.
    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

  12. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:06:07 -0500, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Frank Tabor wrote:

    >>> Whats wrong with File-->Save Page As...

    >> Because if one has a 10 year collection of saved pages in their mail
    >> archives, in mail format, it's foolish to have to start saving pages in a
    >> different format in a different place.
    >>
    >> Pages saved in mail format is searchable. Save Page As doesn't save pages
    >> in any way that is searchable.
    >>
    >> I know of another long time user that won't use Firefox for the very same
    >> reason.
    >>

    > File-->Save Page As
    >
    > Compose an email, copy paste
    >
    > same format as previously.
    >
    > Not to say thats its a PITA, but thats how I work it.

    That's not even close, Dan. Too many steps, too complicated. Why screw up
    a good thing? Every other version of a Mozilla/Netscape browser still has
    the Send Page option. Why take it out of Firefox?

    --
    Frank Tabor
    The moving finger having writ... gestures.

  13. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:34:51 -0500, David McRitchie wrote:

    > "Frank Tabor"
    >> Pages saved in mail format is searchable.
    >> Save Page As doesn't save pages
    >> in any way that is searchable.

    > Searching mail such as with Outlook Express allows
    > you to include one string per subject, author, message text.
    > Not very good. I don't know what yours does.
    > Are you saving it at Google (GMail) with web search
    > type capability.
    >
    > There is Google Desktop search, allows you to search
    > your stuff on your machine, but the various desktop
    > search engines provided by search companies for
    > personal PC use have all proved impractical for me.
    >
    > What I do use on my own web pages is "Agent Ransack",
    > http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
    > the free version allows only one string for searching
    > but you can filter on pathname and filename/extensions
    > your search can be a Regular Expression.
    > The results will show you your string in a one line context
    > for each hit.

    Saving the page as "Send Page" allows you to save it in your mail
    archives, and then search for that particular mail from your mail program.
    Lots of folks do this that way. Has nothing to do with Outlook Express
    or a Google tool bar.

    In the one case I know of, you end up with thousands of folders to have to
    search through. Using "Send Page" puts everything in one email message,
    you apply a subject you can remember, and save it to draft or another mail
    folder. Everything is all in one place easily searchable by the mail
    program. No need to download annoying and complicated search engines.

    --
    Frank Tabor
    Love is the process of my leading you gently back to yourself.

  14. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    and where are your mail archives, your reply only
    makes sense to me if it is something that is online.

  15. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:26:17 -0500, David McRitchie wrote:

    > and where are your mail archives, your reply only
    > makes sense to me if it is something that is online.

    why would it have to be online? The whole point in saving a web page like
    this is because that web page may not exist anymore.

    --
    Frank Tabor
    Grub first, then ethics.

  16. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    "Frank Tabor" wrote
    > why would it have to be online? The whole point in saving a web page like
    > this is because that web page may not exist anymore.

    Okay, I did see that you mentioned it was stored locally
    in the same sentence that you said the email was searchable.
    I find that searching email is barely adequate for it's purpose,
    and think it would be terrible for searching saved web pages.

  17. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:08:51 -0500, David McRitchie wrote:

    > "Frank Tabor" wrote
    >> why would it have to be online? The whole point in saving a web page like
    >> this is because that web page may not exist anymore.

    > Okay, I did see that you mentioned it was stored locally
    > in the same sentence that you said the email was searchable.
    > I find that searching email is barely adequate for it's purpose,
    > and think it would be terrible for searching saved web pages.

    It's a whole lot easier to search a mail archive for a keyword that may be
    in the body, than it is to try to search a drive full of html files for a
    page that what you are searching for may not be in the title.

    If you decide to move any of those files, then all the links are broken.
    Having it all in one file means being able to move it, take it to another
    computer, or even actually send it to someone.

    If you have Seamonkey or Mozilla installed, try using the "Send Page"
    option, then instead of actually sending it, save it in draft. Then see
    how easy it is to go back to it. If you just save the page to disk, you
    have to jump through a bunch of hoops to retrieve it.

    --
    Frank Tabor
    Hug me now, you mad, impetuous fool!!

  18. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    Frank Tabor wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:06:07 -0500, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Frank Tabor wrote:

    >>> Because if one has a 10 year collection of saved pages in their mail
    >>> archives, in mail format, it's foolish to have to start saving pages in a
    >>> different format in a different place.
    >>>
    >>> Pages saved in mail format is searchable. Save Page As doesn't save pages
    >>> in any way that is searchable.
    >>>
    >>> I know of another long time user that won't use Firefox for the very same
    >>> reason.
    >>>

    >> File-->Save Page As
    >>
    >> Compose an email, copy paste
    >>
    >> same format as previously.
    >>
    >> Not to say thats its a PITA, but thats how I work it.

    > That's not even close, Dan. Too many steps, too complicated. Why screw up
    > a good thing? Every other version of a Mozilla/Netscape browser still has
    > the Send Page option. Why take it out of Firefox?

    I didnt say it was a good thing to take it out. In fact I said it was
    PITA (pain in the butt)

    Why they took it out is not my concern, they did, so I use a method to
    suit what is extant.

    They put tabs in, a lot of people swear by them, I dont. But I learn to
    live with them. They took the mail button out too, again, I may or may
    not agree with it, but thats life.

    Instead of complaining about what is there or isnt there, I find ways to
    make the program do things. Some are simple, some are complicated but
    thats simply the way things are.

    When served Lemons, make Lemonaide. Do the best with what you got. You
    go to surf with the browser you have, not the one you wish you had. Pity
    perhaps, but true.

  19. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    On 2007-01-18 11:06 (-0700 UTC), Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Frank Tabor wrote:

    >>> Whats wrong with File-->Save Page As...

    >> Because if one has a 10 year collection of saved pages in their mail
    >> archives, in mail format, it's foolish to have to start saving pages in a
    >> different format in a different place.
    >>
    >> Pages saved in mail format is searchable. Save Page As doesn't save
    >> pages
    >> in any way that is searchable.
    >> I know of another long time user that won't use Firefox for the very same
    >> reason.

    > File-->Save Page As
    >
    > Compose an email, copy paste
    >
    > same format as previously.
    >
    > Not to say thats its a PITA, but thats how I work it.

    Alternately -- and this may or may not be useful depending on how many
    apps/windows you tend to have open at any one time and whether or not you
    use Tb -- , you may be able to copy the URL (except the leading http://),
    open a message window, use Attach | Web Page, and then save it off as a draft.

    Not as elegant as just being able to do it with a single click of button, to
    be sure, but it might be quicker than Dan's suggestion. . . .

    /b.

    --
    People are stupid. /A/ person may be smart, but /people/ are stupid.
    --Stephen M. Graham

  20. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:33:47 -0700, Brian Heinrich wrote:

    > On 2007-01-18 11:06 (-0700 UTC), Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Frank Tabor wrote:

    >>> Because if one has a 10 year collection of saved pages in their mail
    >>> archives, in mail format, it's foolish to have to start saving pages in a
    >>> different format in a different place.
    >>>
    >>> Pages saved in mail format is searchable. Save Page As doesn't save
    >>> pages
    >>> in any way that is searchable.
    >>> I know of another long time user that won't use Firefox for the very same
    >>> reason.

    >> File-->Save Page As
    >>
    >> Compose an email, copy paste
    >>
    >> same format as previously.
    >>
    >> Not to say thats its a PITA, but thats how I work it.

    > Alternately -- and this may or may not be useful depending on how many
    > apps/windows you tend to have open at any one time and whether or not you
    > use Tb -- , you may be able to copy the URL (except the leading http://),
    > open a message window, use Attach | Web Page, and then save it off as a draft.
    >
    > Not as elegant as just being able to do it with a single click of button, to
    > be sure, but it might be quicker than Dan's suggestion. . . .
    >
    > /b.

    That works partially, but it doesn't save the images locally.

    --
    Frank Tabor
    So, how's your love life? Still holding your own?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast