Send Page Tab in FIREFOX - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Send Page Tab in FIREFOX - Mozilla ; Moz Champion (Dan) wrote: > Frank Tabor wrote: >> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:06:07 -0500, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote: >> >>> Frank Tabor wrote: >>>> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 05:46:40 -0500, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote: >>>> >>>>> John ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Frank Tabor wrote:

    >>> File-->Save Page As
    >>>
    >>> Compose an email, copy paste
    >>>
    >>> same format as previously.
    >>>
    >>> Not to say thats its a PITA, but thats how I work it.

    >> That's not even close, Dan. Too many steps, too complicated. Why
    >> screw up
    >> a good thing? Every other version of a Mozilla/Netscape browser still
    >> has
    >> the Send Page option. Why take it out of Firefox?
    >>

    > I didnt say it was a good thing to take it out. In fact I said it was
    > PITA (pain in the butt)
    >
    > Why they took it out is not my concern, they did, so I use a method to
    > suit what is extant.
    >
    > They put tabs in, a lot of people swear by them, I dont. But I learn to
    > live with them. They took the mail button out too, again, I may or may
    > not agree with it, but thats life.
    >
    > Instead of complaining about what is there or isnt there, I find ways to
    > make the program do things. Some are simple, some are complicated but
    > thats simply the way things are.
    >
    > When served Lemons, make Lemonaide. Do the best with what you got. You
    > go to surf with the browser you have, not the one you wish you had. Pity
    > perhaps, but true.

    You also need to fuss at the folks that planted the Lemon trees
    instead of Orange trees like they were supposed to begin with ;-)

  2. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Frank Tabor wrote:

    >>> That's not even close, Dan. Too many steps, too complicated. Why
    >>> screw up
    >>> a good thing? Every other version of a Mozilla/Netscape browser
    >>> still has
    >>> the Send Page option. Why take it out of Firefox?
    >>>

    >> I didnt say it was a good thing to take it out. In fact I said it was
    >> PITA (pain in the butt)
    >>
    >> Why they took it out is not my concern, they did, so I use a method to
    >> suit what is extant.
    >>
    >> They put tabs in, a lot of people swear by them, I dont. But I learn
    >> to live with them. They took the mail button out too, again, I may or
    >> may not agree with it, but thats life.
    >>
    >> Instead of complaining about what is there or isnt there, I find ways
    >> to make the program do things. Some are simple, some are complicated
    >> but thats simply the way things are.
    >>
    >> When served Lemons, make Lemonaide. Do the best with what you got. You
    >> go to surf with the browser you have, not the one you wish you had.
    >> Pity perhaps, but true.

    > You also need to fuss at the folks that planted the Lemon trees instead
    > of Orange trees like they were supposed to begin with ;-)

    No Phillip, you missed the point.

    I dont fuss at the people who planted Lemon trees instead of Orange
    ones, I find a way to use the Lemons.
    Whether or not their intention was to plant Lemons or not, that is not
    my concern, the FACT I have to contend with is that there are Lemons in
    the trees.

    Put it another way. I would LOVE to have a Rolls Royce - but I dont. The
    car (van actually) I have doesnt even compare in anything but a basic
    way. But I dont sit and cuss or fuss over why Ford didnt build a Rolls
    Royce comparable vehicle, I find ways to use the van in a effective manner.

    Do the best with what you have.

  3. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    On 2007-01-20 10:02 (-0700 UTC), Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Actually what has happened is more akin to what happened when I was
    > working for Henry County Schools.
    >
    > One Elementary school was known for years for Having very pretty
    > Blooming Crabapple Trees. They had been lining the landscape for 30
    > years or more. They were of a type that didn't grow very tall.
    >
    > While I was there, the principal asked the Day man (Janitor/handyman) to
    > "Trim" the Trees they had gotten some what out of shape and needed
    > trimming.
    >
    > In a few Minutes, The Day Man came back and said well I got through
    > cutting down the trees, where do you want me to the debris?
    >
    > Needless to say everyone was very unhappy, and the Day Man was ready to
    > crawl in a hole somewhere. That didn't resurrect the trees though.

    So the lesson of the story is not to hire morons? :-P

    /b.

    --
    People are stupid. /A/ person may be smart, but /people/ are stupid.
    --Stephen M. Graham

  4. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Frank Tabor" wrote
    >> why would it have to be online? The whole point in saving a web page like
    >> this is because that web page may not exist anymore.

    > Okay, I did see that you mentioned it was stored locally
    > in the same sentence that you said the email was searchable.
    > I find that searching email is barely adequate for it's purpose,
    > and think it would be terrible for searching saved web pages.

    Just try it yourself, you will see how useful it is.

    Find a good article on the web? Just right-click, chose SEND PAGE
    option, and save that draft. At the end of browsing session, or when you
    have time, go to DRAFTS folder and drag drafts to the appropriate
    folders (e.g. dev-perl, dev-xml, music-jethrotull, health-fitness, ...).
    Year later, you remember you read something about something, and sure,
    it everything is there in the appropriate mail folder.

    Major plus (versus saving the web page): year later I do not remember
    where I did save the original page, and probably it is not on the hard
    disk anyway (being burned onto some CD in order to de-clog the hard disk).

    Minor plus (versus saving the page): it records the URL of the source
    page. Mozilla/Firefox do not record the source page URL in the saved
    copy (unlike the IE that puts the copy of the URL in the HTML header of
    the copy).

    Minor downside: images from the source page are not automatically
    included in the draft, but you need to drag and drop them in the
    attachment field of the draft message window.

  5. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    John Smith wrote:
    > David McRitchie wrote:
    >> "Frank Tabor" wrote
    >>> why would it have to be online? The whole point in saving a web page
    >>> like
    >>> this is because that web page may not exist anymore.

    >> Okay, I did see that you mentioned it was stored locally
    >> in the same sentence that you said the email was searchable.
    >> I find that searching email is barely adequate for it's purpose,
    >> and think it would be terrible for searching saved web pages.

    > Just try it yourself, you will see how useful it is.
    >
    > Find a good article on the web? Just right-click, chose SEND PAGE
    > option, and save that draft. At the end of browsing session, or when you
    > have time, go to DRAFTS folder and drag drafts to the appropriate
    > folders (e.g. dev-perl, dev-xml, music-jethrotull, health-fitness, ...).
    > Year later, you remember you read something about something, and sure,
    > it everything is there in the appropriate mail folder.
    >
    > Major plus (versus saving the web page): year later I do not remember
    > where I did save the original page, and probably it is not on the hard
    > disk anyway (being burned onto some CD in order to de-clog the hard disk).
    >
    > Minor plus (versus saving the page): it records the URL of the source
    > page. Mozilla/Firefox do not record the source page URL in the saved
    > copy (unlike the IE that puts the copy of the URL in the HTML header of
    > the copy).
    >
    > Minor downside: images from the source page are not automatically
    > included in the draft, but you need to drag and drop them in the
    > attachment field of the draft message window.

    Aside from preferences on storing and using saved Web pages, the one
    downside of this approach (for me) is the burden it can put on the email
    program's performance. I wouldn't relish saving tens, hundreds, or
    thousands of megabytes of saved Web pages in my mail folders. Hey, just
    my own take on it.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  6. Re: Send Page Tab in FIREFOX

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:48:49 -0500, Ed Mullen wrote:

    > John Smith wrote:
    >> David McRitchie wrote:
    >>> "Frank Tabor" wrote
    >>>
    >>> Okay, I did see that you mentioned it was stored locally
    >>> in the same sentence that you said the email was searchable.
    >>> I find that searching email is barely adequate for it's purpose,
    >>> and think it would be terrible for searching saved web pages.

    >> Just try it yourself, you will see how useful it is.
    >>
    >> Find a good article on the web? Just right-click, chose SEND PAGE
    >> option, and save that draft. At the end of browsing session, or when you
    >> have time, go to DRAFTS folder and drag drafts to the appropriate
    >> folders (e.g. dev-perl, dev-xml, music-jethrotull, health-fitness, ...).
    >> Year later, you remember you read something about something, and sure,
    >> it everything is there in the appropriate mail folder.
    >>
    >> Major plus (versus saving the web page): year later I do not remember
    >> where I did save the original page, and probably it is not on the hard
    >> disk anyway (being burned onto some CD in order to de-clog the hard disk).
    >>
    >> Minor plus (versus saving the page): it records the URL of the source
    >> page. Mozilla/Firefox do not record the source page URL in the saved
    >> copy (unlike the IE that puts the copy of the URL in the HTML header of
    >> the copy).
    >>
    >> Minor downside: images from the source page are not automatically
    >> included in the draft, but you need to drag and drop them in the
    >> attachment field of the draft message window.

    > Aside from preferences on storing and using saved Web pages, the one
    > downside of this approach (for me) is the burden it can put on the email
    > program's performance. I wouldn't relish saving tens, hundreds, or
    > thousands of megabytes of saved Web pages in my mail folders. Hey, just
    > my own take on it.

    I have a friend that has saved every email for the last 10 or so years, and
    thousands of web sights this way. He also has archived thousands of the
    old messages from the secnews server dating from around 1996.

    --
    Frank Tabor
    Genetics explains why you look like your father, and if you don't, why

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2