HTML Table in printout doesn't look like browser display - Mozilla

This is a discussion on HTML Table in printout doesn't look like browser display - Mozilla ; Hi, I'm trying to learn CSS in the hopes of solving a problem I'm having with FireFox. I've created a simple web app with an HTML table that is populated with values from a database. The web app is written ...

  1. HTML Table in printout doesn't look like browser display

    Hi,
    I'm trying to learn CSS in the hopes of solving a problem I'm
    having with FireFox. I've created a simple web app with an HTML table
    that is populated with values from a database. The web app is written
    in PHP. The HTML that works in other browsers ( IE and Netscape) is
    written without CSS and without any specification of table cell width.
    With these other two browsers, what I see on the screen is what I get
    when I print the page out, or very near to it. When I print this page
    out with FireFox, I see one thing on screen, another in the Print
    Preview and yet another in the actual printed page. I rewrote the page
    with CSS where I specified a link tag to the style sheet, and specified
    an attribute of media="all", and set the width for the table cells. I
    also tried creating a layout with columns and column groups and setting
    the width of the columns. The CSS appears to be taking affect when I
    load the page in the browser. When I change the rules, I see those
    changes. However, when I go to print the page, the layout I see in
    Firefox is different from what I see in the print preview which is
    different from what is on the printout. Can someone point me to a
    reference that explains the specifics of how to get a consistent layout
    on the printed page and the browser screen in Firefox?

    Thanks,

    Jason Mazzotta

  2. Re: HTML Table in printout doesn't look like browser display

    T-bird Leader jazzdman@gmail.com radioed the tower On 9/20/2006 3:13 PM:

    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to learn CSS in the hopes of solving a problem I'm
    > having with FireFox. I've created a simple web app with an HTML table
    > that is populated with values from a database. The web app is written
    > in PHP. The HTML that works in other browsers ( IE and Netscape) is
    > written without CSS and without any specification of table cell width.
    > With these other two browsers, what I see on the screen is what I get
    > when I print the page out, or very near to it. When I print this page
    > out with FireFox, I see one thing on screen, another in the Print
    > Preview and yet another in the actual printed page. I rewrote the page
    > with CSS where I specified a link tag to the style sheet, and specified
    > an attribute of media="all", and set the width for the table cells. I
    > also tried creating a layout with columns and column groups and setting
    > the width of the columns. The CSS appears to be taking affect when I
    > load the page in the browser. When I change the rules, I see those
    > changes. However, when I go to print the page, the layout I see in
    > Firefox is different from what I see in the print preview which is
    > different from what is on the printout. Can someone point me to a
    > reference that explains the specifics of how to get a consistent layout
    > on the printed page and the browser screen in Firefox?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jason Mazzotta

    You may need a print specific CSS where the media=print. Printers measure
    spacing in points where as screens are in pixels. This is the best hint I
    can offer you.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

  3. Re: HTML Table in printout doesn't look like browser display

    _jazzdman@gmail.com_ spoke thusly on 20/09/2006 3:13 PM:
    > I'm trying to learn CSS in the hopes of solving a problem I'm
    > having with FireFox. I've created a simple web app with an HTML table
    > that is populated with values from a database. The web app is written
    > in PHP. The HTML that works in other browsers ( IE and Netscape) is
    > written without CSS and without any specification of table cell width.
    > With these other two browsers, what I see on the screen is what I get
    > when I print the page out, or very near to it. When I print this page
    > out with FireFox, I see one thing on screen, another in the Print
    > Preview and yet another in the actual printed page. I rewrote the page
    > with CSS where I specified a link tag to the style sheet, and specified
    > an attribute of media="all", and set the width for the table cells. I
    > also tried creating a layout with columns and column groups and setting
    > the width of the columns. The CSS appears to be taking affect when I
    > load the page in the browser. When I change the rules, I see those
    > changes. However, when I go to print the page, the layout I see in
    > Firefox is different from what I see in the print preview which is
    > different from what is on the printout. Can someone point me to a
    > reference that explains the specifics of how to get a consistent layout
    > on the printed page and the browser screen in Firefox?

    Try asking in mozilla.dev.tech.css.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  4. Re: HTML Table in printout doesn't look like browser display

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > Try asking in mozilla.dev.tech.css.
    > --
    > Chris Ilias
    > mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    > Mozilla links
    > (Please do not email me tech support questions)

    Thanks, I'll try that.

+ Reply to Thread