Where is "password data" stored? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Where is "password data" stored? - Mozilla ; I had a need to reformat and reinstall my system. I have a complete backup of the prior system. Now that I have Firefox reinstalled, I'd like to be able to move my "passwords" file to the new installation. I ...

  1. Where is "password data" stored?

    I had a need to reformat and reinstall my system. I have a complete
    backup of the prior system. Now that I have Firefox reinstalled, I'd
    like to be able to move my "passwords" file to the new installation. I
    was under the impression that passwords were stored in a file called
    "signons.txt". I copied that file to the new installation and it no
    longer seems to work the way it once did. Perhaps that's not the
    correct file. In conjunction with that, I once had in extension called
    "always remember passwords". I haven't found that extension yet that
    may be part of my problem. Any help anyone can offer so that I might
    get my passwords, and other lonon data, automatically plugged into the
    page, as I once had, will be appreciated.

    Thank you.

    JLOB

  2. Re: Where is "password data" stored?

    John O'Boyle wrote:
    > I had a need to reformat and reinstall my system. I have a complete
    > backup of the prior system. Now that I have Firefox reinstalled, I'd
    > like to be able to move my "passwords" file to the new installation. I
    > was under the impression that passwords were stored in a file called
    > "signons.txt". I copied that file to the new installation and it no
    > longer seems to work the way it once did.

    you have to copy-n-paste 'key3.db' file also into new profile folder.
    >Perhaps that's not the
    > correct file. In conjunction with that, I once had in extension called
    > "always remember passwords". I haven't found that extension yet that
    > may be part of my problem. Any help anyone can offer so that I might
    > get my passwords, and other lonon data, automatically plugged into the
    > page, as I once had, will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > JLOB

    see :http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile

  3. Re: Where is "password data" stored?

    Nir wrote:
    > John O'Boyle wrote:
    >> I had a need to reformat and reinstall my system. I have a complete
    >> backup of the prior system. Now that I have Firefox reinstalled, I'd
    >> like to be able to move my "passwords" file to the new installation.
    >> I was under the impression that passwords were stored in a file called
    >> "signons.txt". I copied that file to the new installation and it no
    >> longer seems to work the way it once did.

    > you have to copy-n-paste 'key3.db' file also into new profile folder.
    >> Perhaps that's not the correct file. In conjunction with that, I once
    >> had in extension called "always remember passwords". I haven't found
    >> that extension yet that may be part of my problem. Any help anyone
    >> can offer so that I might get my passwords, and other lonon data,
    >> automatically plugged into the page, as I once had, will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> JLOB

    > see :http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile

    Thanks. I did move all the appropriate files. When I look at passwords
    in Firefox they are all there. When I go to a site which requires their
    entry however nothing happens. I must have some setting incorrect. As
    an aside, do you happen to know where Greasemonkey scripts are stored?
    I apparently didn't migrate those for some reason.

    Thanks.

    John O'Boyle

  4. Re: Where is "password data" stored?

    John O'Boyle wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> John O'Boyle wrote:
    >>> I had a need to reformat and reinstall my system. I have a complete
    >>> backup of the prior system. Now that I have Firefox reinstalled, I'd
    >>> like to be able to move my "passwords" file to the new installation.
    >>> I was under the impression that passwords were stored in a file
    >>> called "signons.txt". I copied that file to the new installation and
    >>> it no longer seems to work the way it once did.

    >> you have to copy-n-paste 'key3.db' file also into new profile folder.
    >>> Perhaps that's not the correct file. In conjunction with that, I once
    >>> had in extension called "always remember passwords". I haven't found
    >>> that extension yet that may be part of my problem. Any help anyone
    >>> can offer so that I might get my passwords, and other lonon data,
    >>> automatically plugged into the page, as I once had, will be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> JLOB

    >> see :http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile

    > Thanks. I did move all the appropriate files. When I look at passwords
    > in Firefox they are all there. When I go to a site which requires their
    > entry however nothing happens. I must have some setting incorrect.

    I have migrated 'key3.db' and 'signons.txt' files from a different
    version of Firefox to Firefox-1.5.0.7. Everything works normally
    as expected.
    Try to migrate these two files again and check.
    Also check this :
    Type 'about:config' in search bar
    type 'signon.SignonFileName'
    check whether it's value is 'signons.txt' or not.

    > As an aside, do you happen to know where Greasemonkey scripts are stored? I
    > apparently didn't migrate those for some reason.

    Sorry , I have never used 'Greasemonkey'. I think other people in
    this newsgroup will help you in this issue.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John O'Boyle

  5. Re: Where is "password data" stored?

    _John O'Boyle_ spoke thusly on 21/09/2006 7:28 AM:
    > Thanks. I did move all the appropriate files. When I look at passwords
    > in Firefox they are all there. When I go to a site which requires their
    > entry however nothing happens. I must have some setting incorrect. As
    > an aside, do you happen to know where Greasemonkey scripts are stored? I
    > apparently didn't migrate those for some reason.

    Try removing one entry.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator