Firefox update problem - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox update problem - Mozilla ; From reading the posts here I realize I'm not the only one with problems. I got the update window in the middle of something else, clicked yes, it went through part of the update/install program but didn't finish. That time ...

  1. Firefox update problem

    From reading the posts here I realize I'm not the only one with problems. I
    got the update window in the middle of something else, clicked yes, it went
    through part of the update/install program but didn't finish. That time I
    could not shut down the computer. I tried uninstalling firefox and
    downloading and reinstalling. I cannot bring up the home page, only the top
    bars and a blank screen, then it tells me it has timed out. This has been
    going on for a few days. Someone on SaveMyButt is trying to help me, but
    all of his efforts have come to naught. I am currently using Internet
    Explorer. Maybe I should just forget firefox? It worked fine for two
    years!! Nancy

  2. Re: Firefox update problem

    nancybudd@bellsouth.net wrote:
    > From reading the posts here I realize I'm not the only one with problems. I
    > got the update window in the middle of something else, clicked yes, it went
    > through part of the update/install program but didn't finish. That time I
    > could not shut down the computer. I tried uninstalling firefox and
    > downloading and reinstalling. I cannot bring up the home page, only the top
    > bars and a blank screen, then it tells me it has timed out. This has been
    > going on for a few days. Someone on SaveMyButt is trying to help me, but
    > all of his efforts have come to naught. I am currently using Internet
    > Explorer. Maybe I should just forget firefox? It worked fine for two
    > years!! Nancy

    It sounds as though you corrupted your profile. You didn't mention how
    you shut down the computer after that failed attempt. Usually the update
    process does not interfere with computer shutdowns ..all it does after
    it downloads the update is restart Firefox.

    Since a downloaded copy didn't work it indicates the problem lies in the
    profile not in the program.

    If you enter firefox.exe -p ..note the space in the "run" command of
    Windows start menu that will bring up the profile manager and from there
    you can create a new test profile. If it works then you can transfer
    your bookmarks.html from the corrupted profile.

    First thing you need to do though is download a fresh copy of the
    install file. Uninstall the version you have installed ...and then go
    into the program files folder (and if you are running WinXP the program
    files/common files folder and *completely* delete firefox. Then install
    from that fresh copy of the install file and try my suggestion re the
    profile.

    Report back with results good or bad ...please don't "forget about" FF
    ...IE is not a good alternative ..to say the least!!

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

    .. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html

  3. Re: Firefox update problem

    Brian J. Graham wrote:
    > IE is not a good alternative ..to say the least!!

    it is if FF isn't working right and you're having problems.

    --
    continued . . . At that point, the guy is so mad that he throws the
    bird into the freezer. For the first few seconds there is a terrible

  4. Re: Firefox update problem

    _nancybudd@bellsouth.net_ spoke thusly on 20/09/2006 9:46 AM:
    > From reading the posts here I realize I'm not the only one with problems. I
    > got the update window in the middle of something else, clicked yes, it went
    > through part of the update/install program but didn't finish. That time I
    > could not shut down the computer. I tried uninstalling firefox and
    > downloading and reinstalling. I cannot bring up the home page, only the top
    > bars and a blank screen, then it tells me it has timed out. This has been
    > going on for a few days. Someone on SaveMyButt is trying to help me, but
    > all of his efforts have come to naught. I am currently using Internet
    > Explorer. Maybe I should just forget firefox? It worked fine for two
    > years!! Nancy

    Times out on what? Trying to access your homepage, or tyring update?
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  5. Re: Firefox update problem

    Brian J. Graham wrote:
    > nancybudd@bellsouth.net wrote:
    >> From reading the posts here I realize I'm not the only one with
    >> problems. I got the update window in the middle of something else,
    >> clicked yes, it went through part of the update/install program but
    >> didn't finish. That time I could not shut down the computer. I tried
    >> uninstalling firefox and downloading and reinstalling. I cannot bring
    >> up the home page, only the top bars and a blank screen, then it tells
    >> me it has timed out. This has been going on for a few days. Someone
    >> on SaveMyButt is trying to help me, but all of his efforts have come
    >> to naught. I am currently using Internet Explorer. Maybe I should
    >> just forget firefox? It worked fine for two years!! Nancy
    >>

    > It sounds as though you corrupted your profile. You didn't mention how
    > you shut down the computer after that failed attempt. Usually the update
    > process does not interfere with computer shutdowns ..all it does after
    > it downloads the update is restart Firefox.
    >
    > Since a downloaded copy didn't work it indicates the problem lies in the
    > profile not in the program.

    Not necessarily true. If he didn't delete the program folder, the
    problem could be there, especially when the problem started as the
    result of an update.

    --
    Irwin
    EVERYBODY SHOULD TAKE A TOUR OF

  6. Re: Firefox update problem

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Brian J. Graham wrote:
    >>
    >> Since a downloaded copy didn't work it indicates the problem lies in
    >> the profile not in the program.

    > Not necessarily true. If he didn't delete the program folder, the
    > problem could be there, especially when the problem started as the
    > result of an update.

    True. I did suggest the OP *completely* delete Firefox to take care of
    any corruption in the program folder ...and a test profile creation to
    see if that works when the default profile doesn't.

    Waiting with "baited breath" to hear back from the OP!

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

    .. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html

+ Reply to Thread