Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox - Mozilla ; A friend I switched to Firefox has asked me the following question. He's using Windows XP Home on a ~2-year-old PC. Can anybody help?> "I recently had one of Firefox's automatic updates (to 1.5.0.7), and now the browser won't shut ...

  1. Firefox

    A friend I switched to Firefox has asked me the following question. He's using Windows XP Home on a ~2-year-old PC. Can anybody help?>

    "I recently had one of Firefox's automatic updates (to 1.5.0.7), and now the browser won't shut down once it's activated. I thought at first something else corrupted the program, so I uninstalled the program and reinstalled with same result. I went back to an earlier version and installed it and problem went away, the browser shut down on command. when I finished using it, but it was again hit by an upgrade. After I shut off the browser the upgrade was activated and once again the browser could not be closed, but now stays open as indicated by tray icon. Clicking on the tray icon produces a small (blank) window with no option to close program as was possible before the upgrade.
    Any suggestions?"

    Thanks!

    Frank D

  2. Re: Firefox

    T-bird Leader Frank D radioed the tower On 9/18/2006 7:46 PM:

    > A friend I switched to Firefox has asked me the following question. He's using Windows XP Home on a ~2-year-old PC. Can anybody help?>
    >
    > "I recently had one of Firefox's automatic updates (to 1.5.0.7), and now the browser won't shut down once it's activated. I thought at first something else corrupted the program, so I uninstalled the program and reinstalled with same result. I went back to an earlier version and installed it and problem went away, the browser shut down on command. when I finished using it, but it was again hit by an upgrade. After I shut off the browser the upgrade was activated and once again the browser could not be closed, but now stays open as indicated by tray icon. Clicking on the tray icon produces a small (blank) window with no option to close program as was possible before the upgrade.
    > Any suggestions?"
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Frank D

    Have him try the Windows Task Manager, called by Ctrl+Alt+Del key stroke
    combo. Select Firefox and click on the End Task button.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

  3. Re: Firefox

    Frank D wrote:
    > A friend I switched to Firefox has asked me the following question.
    > He's using Windows XP Home on a ~2-year-old PC. Can anybody help?>
    >
    > "I recently had one of Firefox's automatic updates (to 1.5.0.7),
    > and now the browser won't shut down once it's activated. I thought
    > at first something else corrupted the program, so I uninstalled the
    > program and reinstalled with same result. I went back to an earlier
    > version and installed it and problem went away, the browser shut
    > down on command. when I finished using it, but it was again hit by
    > an upgrade. After I shut off the browser the upgrade was activated
    > and once again the browser could not be closed, but now stays open
    > as indicated by tray icon. Clicking on the tray icon produces a
    > small (blank) window with no option to close program as was
    > possible before the upgrade. Any suggestions?"
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Frank D

    is he using the minimize to tray extension? If so, then turn it off

    --
    Pic of the Day: New Campbell's Soup:
    http://img85.imageshack.us/my.php?im...mofspamnx1.jpg

  4. Re: Firefox

    On 09/18/2006 06:46 PM, Frank D wrote:
    > A friend I switched to Firefox has asked me the following question. He's using Windows XP Home on a ~2-year-old PC. Can anybody help?>
    >
    > "I recently had one of Firefox's automatic updates (to 1.5.0.7), and now the browser won't shut down once it's activated. I thought at first something else corrupted the program, so I uninstalled the program and reinstalled with same result. I went back to an earlier version and installed it and problem went away, the browser shut down on command. when I finished using it, but it was again hit by an upgrade. After I shut off the browser the upgrade was activated and once again the browser could not be closed, but now stays open as indicated by tray icon. Clicking on the tray icon produces a small (blank) window with no option to close program as was possible before the upgrade.
    > Any suggestions?"
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Frank D

    The task manager can be used to close programs that don't want to close
    by themselves.

    Your friend should try to do the following things:

    1) Take a look at the Problematic Extensions page
    to see if he's is
    affected by any of those; if so, disable the suspect extension and see
    if the problem recurs.

    2) Downgrade back to the old FX version and disable automatic updates.

    --
    paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net

  5. Re: Firefox

    gwtc wrote:
    | Frank D wrote:
    || A friend I switched to Firefox has asked me the following question.
    || He's using Windows XP Home on a ~2-year-old PC. Can anybody help?>
    || "I recently had one of Firefox's automatic updates (to 1.5.0.7),
    || and now the browser won't shut down once it's activated. I thought
    || at first something else corrupted the program, so I uninstalled the
    || program and reinstalled with same result. I went back to an earlier
    || version and installed it and problem went away, the browser shut
    || down on command. when I finished using it, but it was again hit by
    || an upgrade. After I shut off the browser the upgrade was activated
    || and once again the browser could not be closed, but now stays open
    || as indicated by tray icon. Clicking on the tray icon produces a
    || small (blank) window with no option to close program as was
    || possible before the upgrade. Any suggestions?"
    || Thanks!
    || Frank D
    | is he using the minimize to tray extension? If so, then turn it off

    Apology for the delay. Answer: no.

    Thanks.

    Frank D

  6. Re: Firefox

    Frank D wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    > | Frank D wrote:
    > || A friend I switched to Firefox has asked me the following question.
    > || He's using Windows XP Home on a ~2-year-old PC. Can anybody help?>
    > || "I recently had one of Firefox's automatic updates (to 1.5.0.7),
    > || and now the browser won't shut down once it's activated. I thought
    > || at first something else corrupted the program, so I uninstalled the
    > || program and reinstalled with same result. I went back to an earlier
    > || version and installed it and problem went away, the browser shut
    > || down on command. when I finished using it, but it was again hit by
    > || an upgrade. After I shut off the browser the upgrade was activated
    > || and once again the browser could not be closed, but now stays open
    > || as indicated by tray icon. Clicking on the tray icon produces a
    > || small (blank) window with no option to close program as was
    > || possible before the upgrade. Any suggestions?"
    > || Thanks!
    > || Frank D
    > | is he using the minimize to tray extension? If so, then turn it off
    >
    > Apology for the delay. Answer: no.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Frank D

    Try closing the browser using File>>Exit, instead of the closebox.

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  7. Re: Firefox

    Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:
    | On 09/18/2006 06:46 PM, Frank D wrote:
    || A friend I switched to Firefox has asked me the following question. He's
    || using Windows XP Home on a ~2-year-old PC. Can anybody help?>
    || "I recently had one of Firefox's automatic updates (to 1.5.0.7), and now
    || the browser won't shut down once it's activated. I thought at first
    || something else corrupted the program, so I uninstalled the program and
    || reinstalled with same result. I went back to an earlier version and
    || installed it and problem went away, the browser shut down on command.
    || when I finished using it, but it was again hit by an upgrade. After I
    || shut off the browser the upgrade was activated and once again the browser
    || could not be closed, but now stays open as indicated by tray icon.
    || Clicking on the tray icon produces a small (blank) window with no option
    || to close program as was possible before the upgrade. Any suggestions?"
    || Thanks!
    || Frank D
    |
    | The task manager can be used to close programs that don't want to close
    | by themselves.
    |
    | Your friend should try to do the following things:
    |
    | 1) Take a look at the Problematic Extensions page
    | to see if he's is
    | affected by any of those; if so, disable the suspect extension and see
    | if the problem recurs.
    |
    | 2) Downgrade back to the old FX version and disable automatic updates.

    Am following up on your suggestions. Thanks!

    Frank D

  8. Re: Firefox

    Frank D wrote:
    | Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:
    || On 09/18/2006 06:46 PM, Frank D wrote:
    ||| A friend I switched to Firefox has asked me the following question. He's
    ||| using Windows XP Home on a ~2-year-old PC. Can anybody help?>
    ||| "I recently had one of Firefox's automatic updates (to 1.5.0.7), and now
    ||| the browser won't shut down once it's activated. I thought at first
    ||| something else corrupted the program, so I uninstalled the program and
    ||| reinstalled with same result. I went back to an earlier version and
    ||| installed it and problem went away, the browser shut down on command.
    ||| when I finished using it, but it was again hit by an upgrade. After I
    ||| shut off the browser the upgrade was activated and once again the browser
    ||| could not be closed, but now stays open as indicated by tray icon.
    ||| Clicking on the tray icon produces a small (blank) window with no option
    ||| to close program as was possible before the upgrade. Any suggestions?"
    ||| Thanks!
    ||| Frank D
    || The task manager can be used to close programs that don't want to close
    || by themselves.
    || Your friend should try to do the following things:
    || 1) Take a look at the Problematic Extensions page
    || to see if he's is
    || affected by any of those; if so, disable the suspect extension and see
    || if the problem recurs.
    || 2) Downgrade back to the old FX version and disable automatic updates.
    |
    | Am following up on your suggestions. Thanks!
    |
    | Frank D

    Latest: My friend is using the File -> Close command successfully, and I have followed the suggestions on the Problematic Extensions page. Results are great! Faster browsing and no more undesirable results. Thank you all.

    Frank D

+ Reply to Thread