Indic script support on MacOS - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Indic script support on MacOS - Mozilla ; Hi, Is there a way for Firefox to render Indic scripts correctly? Say, get BBC Hindi to work: http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/ Will rendering Indic script automatically allow input in Indic script as well? Safari does it beautifully. Thanks, Mahesh....

  1. Indic script support on MacOS

    Hi,

    Is there a way for Firefox to render Indic scripts correctly? Say, get
    BBC Hindi to work:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/

    Will rendering Indic script automatically allow input in Indic script
    as well?

    Safari does it beautifully.

    Thanks,
    Mahesh.

  2. Re: Indic script support on MacOS

    Mahesh wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a way for Firefox to render Indic scripts correctly? Say, get
    > BBC Hindi to work:
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/
    >
    > Will rendering Indic script automatically allow input in Indic script
    > as well?
    >
    > Safari does it beautifully.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mahesh.

    Not sure about MacOS , but under Linux , I can view BBC in Bengali
    using Firefox.

  3. Re: Indic script support on MacOS

    Nir wrote:
    > Mahesh wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Is there a way for Firefox to render Indic scripts correctly? Say, get
    >> BBC Hindi to work:
    >>
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/
    >>
    >> Will rendering Indic script automatically allow input in Indic script
    >> as well?
    >>
    >> Safari does it beautifully.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Mahesh.
    >>

    > Not sure about MacOS , but under Linux , I can view BBC in Bengali using
    > Firefox.

    Should be the same on OSX.

    View>>Character Encoding

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  4. Re: Indic script support on MacOS

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    > > Mahesh wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Is there a way for Firefox to render Indic scripts correctly? Say, get
    > >> BBC Hindi to work:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/
    > >>
    > >> Will rendering Indic script automatically allow input in Indic script
    > >> as well?
    > >>
    > >> Safari does it beautifully.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Mahesh.
    > >>

    > > Not sure about MacOS , but under Linux , I can view BBC in Bengali using
    > > Firefox.

    > Should be the same on OSX.
    >
    > View>>Character Encoding

    I tried doing just that. Tried selecting Unicode (UTF-8) - which is
    what Firefox auto-detects on Windows. It does not work on Mac OS X.

    I don't have to do a thing on Windows XP - I am sure so is the case on
    Linux like Nir mentioned.

    I'll keep looking.

    Thanks,
    Mahesh.

  5. Re: Indic script support on MacOS

    Mahesh wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> Not sure about MacOS , but under Linux , I can view BBC in Bengali using
    >>> Firefox.

    >> Should be the same on OSX.
    >>
    >> View>>Character Encoding
    >>

    > I tried doing just that. Tried selecting Unicode (UTF-8) - which is
    > what Firefox auto-detects on Windows. It does not work on Mac OS X.
    >
    > I don't have to do a thing on Windows XP - I am sure so is the case on
    > Linux like Nir mentioned.
    >
    > I'll keep looking.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mahesh.

    See

  6. Re: Indic script support on MacOS

    On 17 Sep 2006 15:09:41 -0700, Mahesh wrote:

    > Is there a way for Firefox to render Indic scripts correctly? Say, get
    > BBC Hindi to work:

    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/

    > Will rendering Indic script automatically allow input in Indic script
    > as well?

    Currently Indic font support for Mac OSX is disabled because the Firefox
    code does not understand the font information for these fonts returned
    by the OS. The entire UI comes up with for all text
    labels even though there are locales for these languages in other OS
    versions. Not very useful I don't think.

    Phil
    --
    Philip Chee ,
    [ ]Trek Classic -- Who Needs Another Generation?

+ Reply to Thread