Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins - Mozilla ; Patricia Shanahan wrote: > I like to keep a Firefox window with a set of news and weather pages in > tabs. However, I recently noticed excessive Firefox CPU time, around > 90%, when I had not done anything with ...

  1. Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins

    Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > I like to keep a Firefox window with a set of news and weather pages in
    > tabs. However, I recently noticed excessive Firefox CPU time, around
    > 90%, when I had not done anything with it for over half an hour.
    >
    > Removing all the plugins restored sanity.
    >
    > Here is the listing of plugin files I removed:
    >
    > GetFlash.exe
    > GetFlash.exe.manifest
    > NPSWF32.dll
    > QuickTimePlugin.class
    > npnul32.dll
    > nppdf32.dll
    > npqtplugin.dll
    > npqtplugin2.dll
    > npqtplugin3.dll
    > npqtplugin4.dll
    > npqtplugin5.dll
    > npqtplugin6.dll
    > npqtplugin7.dll
    > nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt
    >
    > Are there alternative ways of suppressing the excessive CPU time? Any
    > recommendations or hints about which plugins are most likely to be the
    > culprit(s)? Or other strategies for keeping a Firefox window around
    > without it hogging the processor?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Patricia

    Patricia, 1st thing that you should do is Start Firefox in safe
    mode ( To Start Firefox in safe mode : Start > Programs
    >Firefox[safe mode] ) and check whether you are getting same

    problem or not.
    2nd. If you have any Firewall installed then either delete Firefox
    entry from it and start Firefox or configure it properly to allow
    Firefox to access Internet.

  2. Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins

    Nir wrote:
    > Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    >> I like to keep a Firefox window with a set of news and weather pages in
    >> tabs. However, I recently noticed excessive Firefox CPU time, around
    >> 90%, when I had not done anything with it for over half an hour.
    >>
    >> Removing all the plugins restored sanity.
    >>
    >> Here is the listing of plugin files I removed:
    >>
    >> GetFlash.exe
    >> GetFlash.exe.manifest
    >> NPSWF32.dll
    >> QuickTimePlugin.class
    >> npnul32.dll
    >> nppdf32.dll
    >> npqtplugin.dll
    >> npqtplugin2.dll
    >> npqtplugin3.dll
    >> npqtplugin4.dll
    >> npqtplugin5.dll
    >> npqtplugin6.dll
    >> npqtplugin7.dll
    >> nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt
    >>
    >> Are there alternative ways of suppressing the excessive CPU time? Any
    >> recommendations or hints about which plugins are most likely to be the
    >> culprit(s)? Or other strategies for keeping a Firefox window around
    >> without it hogging the processor?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Patricia

    > Patricia, 1st thing that you should do is Start Firefox in safe mode (
    > To Start Firefox in safe mode : Start > Programs >Firefox[safe mode] )
    > and check whether you are getting same problem or not.

    I don't understand the theory behind this test. Given the fact that
    removing the plugins removes the performance problem, it is already
    localized to the plugins, not extensions or themes.

    The test is a relatively cheap one, so I did it anyway, and safe mode
    made no difference. With the plugins, regardless of mode, this afternoon
    it is using about 50% of the CPU. Without plugins, regardless of mode,
    it drops to 0% when idle, just like a well-behaved browser should.

    > 2nd. If you have any Firewall installed then either delete Firefox entry
    > from it and start Firefox or configure it properly to allow Firefox to
    > access Internet.

    I really don't understand the reasoning behind this test. Firewalls tend
    to either not allow something at all, or allow it without affecting how
    frequently it happens. How would a firewall issue cause Firefox CPU
    hogging that goes away when the plugins are deleted? If I had a firewall
    problem, I would expect something like inability to access web pages.

    This one would involve more configuration changes, especially
    considering the fact that I use a hardware firewall as well as firewall
    software, so I'm reluctant to do it without some understanding of how it
    is supposed to advance diagnosis, given the specific symptoms.

    Patricia

  3. Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins

    I'm having a similar problem of 90%+ CPU time which perhaps coincidentally
    has started since the recent update. Specifically this page
    http://www.webreference.com/authorin...owser_support/ causes
    it to happen and I believe it is down to the flash advert for IBM DB2 (but
    don't quote me on that).

    "Patricia Shanahan" wrote in message
    news:4Mmdnf3nodXyOpDYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    >>> I like to keep a Firefox window with a set of news and weather pages in
    >>> tabs. However, I recently noticed excessive Firefox CPU time, around
    >>> 90%, when I had not done anything with it for over half an hour.
    >>>
    >>> Removing all the plugins restored sanity.
    >>>
    >>> Here is the listing of plugin files I removed:
    >>>
    >>> GetFlash.exe
    >>> GetFlash.exe.manifest
    >>> NPSWF32.dll
    >>> QuickTimePlugin.class
    >>> npnul32.dll
    >>> nppdf32.dll
    >>> npqtplugin.dll
    >>> npqtplugin2.dll
    >>> npqtplugin3.dll
    >>> npqtplugin4.dll
    >>> npqtplugin5.dll
    >>> npqtplugin6.dll
    >>> npqtplugin7.dll
    >>> nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt
    >>>
    >>> Are there alternative ways of suppressing the excessive CPU time? Any
    >>> recommendations or hints about which plugins are most likely to be the
    >>> culprit(s)? Or other strategies for keeping a Firefox window around
    >>> without it hogging the processor?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Patricia

    >> Patricia, 1st thing that you should do is Start Firefox in safe mode ( To
    >> Start Firefox in safe mode : Start > Programs >Firefox[safe mode] ) and
    >> check whether you are getting same problem or not.

    > I don't understand the theory behind this test. Given the fact that
    > removing the plugins removes the performance problem, it is already
    > localized to the plugins, not extensions or themes.
    >
    > The test is a relatively cheap one, so I did it anyway, and safe mode
    > made no difference. With the plugins, regardless of mode, this afternoon
    > it is using about 50% of the CPU. Without plugins, regardless of mode,
    > it drops to 0% when idle, just like a well-behaved browser should.
    >
    >> 2nd. If you have any Firewall installed then either delete Firefox entry
    >> from it and start Firefox or configure it properly to allow Firefox to
    >> access Internet.

    > I really don't understand the reasoning behind this test. Firewalls tend
    > to either not allow something at all, or allow it without affecting how
    > frequently it happens. How would a firewall issue cause Firefox CPU
    > hogging that goes away when the plugins are deleted? If I had a firewall
    > problem, I would expect something like inability to access web pages.
    >
    > This one would involve more configuration changes, especially
    > considering the fact that I use a hardware firewall as well as firewall
    > software, so I'm reluctant to do it without some understanding of how it
    > is supposed to advance diagnosis, given the specific symptoms.
    >
    > Patricia

  4. Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins

    Dan Wonacott wrote:
    > I'm having a similar problem of 90%+ CPU time which perhaps coincidentally
    > has started since the recent update. Specifically this page
    > http://www.webreference.com/authorin...owser_support/ causes
    > it to happen and I believe it is down to the flash advert for IBM DB2 (but
    > don't quote me on that).

    That particular page does not give me any trouble, even with plugins,
    but I also don't see the IBM DB2 advert, and ads can be cookie and time
    dependent.

    Flash adverts certainly seem like a reasonable candidate. I don't know
    what is supposed to control their use of CPU time: The browser? The
    operating system? The taste, public spirit, and technical skill of the
    advertisers?

    I also only noticed this problem after the recent update. A couple of
    weeks ago I was doing some very CPU intensive work. If Firefox had been
    gobbling then, I would definitely have noticed it.

    Patricia

  5. Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins

    Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > Dan Wonacott wrote:
    >> I'm having a similar problem of 90%+ CPU time which perhaps
    >> coincidentally has started since the recent update. Specifically this
    >> page
    >> http://www.webreference.com/authorin...owser_support/
    >> causes it to happen and I believe it is down to the flash advert for
    >> IBM DB2 (but don't quote me on that).

    > That particular page does not give me any trouble, even with plugins,
    > but I also don't see the IBM DB2 advert, and ads can be cookie and time
    > dependent.
    >
    > Flash adverts certainly seem like a reasonable candidate. I don't know
    > what is supposed to control their use of CPU time: The browser? The
    > operating system? The taste, public spirit, and technical skill of the
    > advertisers?
    >
    > I also only noticed this problem after the recent update. A couple of
    > weeks ago I was doing some very CPU intensive work. If Firefox had been
    > gobbling then, I would definitely have noticed it.
    >
    > Patricia

    What about running extensions (you may already do this),
    that block most ads and most flash? I'm finding I'm
    functioning very well with about 20% of the available ads
    visible. I'm running adblock plus and I'm running noscript.
    Between them, very few extras are loading and my cpu usage
    and memory usage seem to be comfortably low.

    I too tried the link above without any problem - but I also
    don't see any IBM advert - it's probably prevented from

    Louise

  6. Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins

    Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > Dan Wonacott wrote:
    >> I'm having a similar problem of 90%+ CPU time which perhaps coincidentally
    >> has started since the recent update. Specifically this page
    >> http://www.webreference.com/authorin...owser_support/ causes
    >> it to happen and I believe it is down to the flash advert for IBM DB2 (but
    >> don't quote me on that).

    > That particular page does not give me any trouble, even with plugins,
    > but I also don't see the IBM DB2 advert, and ads can be cookie and time
    > dependent.
    >
    > Flash adverts certainly seem like a reasonable candidate. I don't know
    > what is supposed to control their use of CPU time: The browser? The
    > operating system? The taste, public spirit, and technical skill of the
    > advertisers?
    >
    > I also only noticed this problem after the recent update. A couple of
    > weeks ago I was doing some very CPU intensive work. If Firefox had been
    > gobbling then, I would definitely have noticed it.

    Quite a while back, on the Yahoo message boards, they had *one*
    particular flash ad that would completely suck up the CPU, until FF
    would finally pop up a dialog box stating that a script was taking too
    much time & did I want to let it continue or terminate it. Until that
    box appeared, it was impossible to do anything else. That was on a 2Ghz
    processor, so it was not a slow machine.

    So it is entirely possible that there is an ad in the rotation, on one
    of the sites you have open, that is written poorly/misbehaving. Since
    you removed NPSWF32.dll, the flash player plugin, FF would not be
    rendering any flash content, thereby freeing up CPU time.

    At least that was my experience, although I didn't remove the plugin. I
    just wrote to Yahoo & explained the situation. In a day or two, the ad
    was no longer appearing.

    To answer your question about control of CPU time, its up to the
    developer that produced the ad to write good code, that plays well with
    others. :-)

    --
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread