Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins - Mozilla ; Patricia Shanahan wrote: > I like to keep a Firefox window with a set of news and weather pages in > tabs. However, I recently noticed excessive Firefox CPU time, around > 90%, when I had not done anything with ...

  1. Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins

    Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > I like to keep a Firefox window with a set of news and weather pages in
    > tabs. However, I recently noticed excessive Firefox CPU time, around
    > 90%, when I had not done anything with it for over half an hour.
    >
    > Removing all the plugins restored sanity.
    >
    > Here is the listing of plugin files I removed:
    >
    > GetFlash.exe
    > GetFlash.exe.manifest
    > NPSWF32.dll
    > QuickTimePlugin.class
    > npnul32.dll
    > nppdf32.dll
    > npqtplugin.dll
    > npqtplugin2.dll
    > npqtplugin3.dll
    > npqtplugin4.dll
    > npqtplugin5.dll
    > npqtplugin6.dll
    > npqtplugin7.dll
    > nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt
    >
    > Are there alternative ways of suppressing the excessive CPU time? Any
    > recommendations or hints about which plugins are most likely to be the
    > culprit(s)? Or other strategies for keeping a Firefox window around
    > without it hogging the processor?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Patricia

    extensions are the big culprits

    --
    The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has
    been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European
    communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.
    As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that
    English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a
    five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for
    short). In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c".
    Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the
    hard "c" will be replaced with "k." Not only will this klear up
    konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter. There will be
    growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome
    "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20
    per sent shorter. In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new
    spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated
    changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double
    letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al
    wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is
    disgrasful, and they would go. . . to be continued!

  2. Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins

    gwtc wrote:
    > Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    >> I like to keep a Firefox window with a set of news and weather pages in
    >> tabs. However, I recently noticed excessive Firefox CPU time, around
    >> 90%, when I had not done anything with it for over half an hour.
    >>
    >> Removing all the plugins restored sanity.

    > extensions are the big culprits

    That may be the general experience, but is not the case for my specific
    problem. Removing the plugins, with no other changes, make all the
    difference.

    Patricia

  3. Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins

    Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    >>> I like to keep a Firefox window with a set of news and weather pages in
    >>> tabs. However, I recently noticed excessive Firefox CPU time, around
    >>> 90%, when I had not done anything with it for over half an hour.
    >>>
    >>> Removing all the plugins restored sanity.

    >> extensions are the big culprits

    > That may be the general experience, but is not the case for my specific
    > problem. Removing the plugins, with no other changes, make all the
    > difference.
    >
    > Patricia

    I didn't say plugins, I said extensions. Two different things.

    --
[...]

  4. Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins

    gwtc wrote:
    > Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> extensions are the big culprits

    >> That may be the general experience, but is not the case for my specific
    >> problem. Removing the plugins, with no other changes, make all the
    >> difference.
    >>
    >> Patricia

    > I didn't say plugins, I said extensions. Two different things.

    I agree that you said "extensions" and that they are different things
    from plugins.

    I claim my problem with with plugins, not extensions, for the following
    reasons:

    1. Removing all plugins, with no extension configuration changes,
    removes the problem.

    difference. The performance bug is still controlled by whether I have
    the plugins or not.

    [My original debug intuition, before I posted here, pointed to plugins
    because the problem seemed to be related to having commercial news web
    pages, with over-cute ads, in a tabbed window.]

    Patricia

  5. Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins

    Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Patricia Shanahan wrote:

    >>> That may be the general experience, but is not the case for my specific
    >>> problem. Removing the plugins, with no other changes, make all the
    >>> difference.
    >>>
    >>> Patricia

    >> I didn't say plugins, I said extensions. Two different things.
    >>

    > I agree that you said "extensions" and that they are different things
    > from plugins.
    >
    > I claim my problem with with plugins, not extensions, for the following
    > reasons:
    >
    > 1. Removing all plugins, with no extension configuration changes,
    > removes the problem.

    > difference. The performance bug is still controlled by whether I have
    > the plugins or not.
    >
    > [My original debug intuition, before I posted here, pointed to plugins
    > because the problem seemed to be related to having commercial news web
    > pages, with over-cute ads, in a tabbed window.]
    >
    > Patricia

    In my view , Only option is reinsert plugins one by one , restart
    Firefox and check as squaredancer has mentioned.

  6. Re: Firefox CPU time and plugins

    On 17.09.2006 22:12, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Nir to
    generate the following:? :

    >Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    >

    >>gwtc wrote:

    >>>I didn't say plugins, I said extensions. Two different things.
    >>>

    >>I agree that you said "extensions" and that they are different things
    >>from plugins.
    >>
    >>I claim my problem with with plugins, not extensions, for the following
    >>reasons:
    >>
    >>1. Removing all plugins, with no extension configuration changes,
    >>removes the problem.

    >>difference. The performance bug is still controlled by whether I have
    >>the plugins or not.
    >>
    >>[My original debug intuition, before I posted here, pointed to plugins
    >>because the problem seemed to be related to having commercial news web
    >>pages, with over-cute ads, in a tabbed window.]
    >>
    >>Patricia
    >>

    >In my view , Only option is reinsert plugins one by one , restart
    >Firefox and check as squaredancer has mentioned.

    ..... but, as Ron said, unless Patricia uses QT as her media player, I
    would also leave them out until such time as the browser quirks, that
    they are missing!

    reg

+ Reply to Thread