User Agent Switcher randomly switching back to Mozilla - Mozilla

This is a discussion on User Agent Switcher randomly switching back to Mozilla - Mozilla ; I have the User Agent Switcher installed 'cos our proxy only allows MSIE6 to access the internet. Easy game. But from time to time, my Firefox browser is switching back to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 ...

  1. User Agent Switcher randomly switching back to Mozilla

    I have the User Agent Switcher installed 'cos our proxy only allows
    MSIE6 to access the internet. Easy game. But from time to time, my
    Firefox browser is switching back to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows
    NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7. And I don't
    know why. Can anyone help?

    Second, I'd like to make my MSIE-User Agent tag the default tag Firefox
    will start with. I have to change it to MSIE anyway, so it'd be nice if
    I could make it default.

    Thank you for help!

    Chris.

  2. Re: User Agent Switcher randomly switching back to Mozilla

    gwtc skrev:

    > if you're using the UA Switcher, then everytime you restart FF, it
    > re-sets itself to the default. Thats part of the Switcher. And, its
    > not wise to set the default UA to IE. Problems can arise with other
    > programs, like java. Windows will detect another IE browser {FF} and
    > could shut itself down. Thats why the UA defaults back.

    Ok, makes sense. It would be ok for me to set it *once* per start of
    FF, but what is about this mysterious falling back to FF-UA during
    browsing sessions?

  3. Re: User Agent Switcher randomly switching back to Mozilla

    --
    Pic of the Day: http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fastdoglp2.jpg

  4. Re: User Agent Switcher randomly switching back to Mozilla

    christian.drewing@googlemail.com wrote:
    > gwtc skrev:
    >
    >> if you're using the UA Switcher, then everytime you restart FF, it
    >> re-sets itself to the default. Thats part of the Switcher. And, its
    >> not wise to set the default UA to IE. Problems can arise with other
    >> programs, like java. Windows will detect another IE browser {FF} and
    >> could shut itself down. Thats why the UA defaults back.

    > Ok, makes sense. It would be ok for me to set it *once* per start of
    > FF, but what is about this mysterious falling back to FF-UA during
    > browsing sessions?

    see 'Why does the user agent reset when the browser closes?' - at
    'http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/documentation/faq/'

  5. Re: User Agent Switcher randomly switching back to Mozilla

    Nir skrev:

    > see 'Why does the user agent reset when the browser closes?' - at
    > 'http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/documentation/faq/'

    404.

    And I am not talking about resetting UA 'when the browser closes'. I am
    talking about resetting _during_browsing_.

  6. Re: User Agent Switcher randomly switching back to Mozilla

    Nir wrote:
    > christian.drewing@googlemail.com wrote:
    >> gwtc skrev:
    >>
    >>> if you're using the UA Switcher, then everytime you restart FF, it
    >>> re-sets itself to the default. Thats part of the Switcher. And, its
    >>> not wise to set the default UA to IE. Problems can arise with other
    >>> programs, like java. Windows will detect another IE browser {FF} and
    >>> could shut itself down. Thats why the UA defaults back.

    >> Ok, makes sense. It would be ok for me to set it *once* per start of
    >> FF, but what is about this mysterious falling back to FF-UA during
    >> browsing sessions?
    >>

    > see 'Why does the user agent reset when the browser closes?' - at
    > 'http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/documentation/faq/'

    sorry , i think gwtc already has mentioned this issue.

  7. Re: User Agent Switcher randomly switching back to Mozilla

    christian.drewing@googlemail.com wrote:
    > Nir skrev:
    >

    >> see 'Why does the user agent reset when the browser closes?' - at
    >> 'http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/documentation/faq/'

    > 404.
    >
    > And I am not talking about resetting UA 'when the browser closes'. I am
    > talking about resetting _during_browsing_.

    it doesn't just automatically reset itself back to the default, unless
    you changed it or close the program. If this is whats happening, then
    you have something else going on.

    --
    Pic of the Day: http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fastdoglp2.jpg

  8. Re: User Agent Switcher randomly switching back to Mozilla

    gwtc schrieb:

    > it doesn't just automatically reset itself back to the default, unless
    > you changed it or close the program. If this is whats happening, then
    > you have something else going on.

    That's what I fear.
    Any ideas?

  9. Re: User Agent Switcher randomly switching back to Mozilla

    christian.drewing@googlemail.com wrote:
    > gwtc schrieb:
    >
    >> it doesn't just automatically reset itself back to the default, unless
    >> you changed it or close the program. If this is whats happening, then
    >> you have something else going on.

    > That's what I fear.
    > Any ideas?

    Many other extension may conflict with 'User Agent Switcher'
    resulting this problem.
    To check it, disable all extensions except 'User Agent Switcher' ,
    switch back to default Theme.
    Restart Firefox and check.

  10. Re: User Agent Switcher randomly switching back to Mozilla

    Nir skrev:

    > Many other extension may conflict with 'User Agent Switcher'
    > resulting this problem.
    > To check it, disable all extensions except 'User Agent Switcher' ,
    > switch back to default Theme.
    > Restart Firefox and check.

    No, it's not that. Even when I deactivate all extensions and use the
    default theme and restart, the error will occur. I am behind a proxy
    and it is configured with an automatic script. Do you think that this
    could be the reason? Maybe the script is asking for the UA tag
    frequently and FF will report the 'real' tag back.

    Just my speculation.

    Christian.

+ Reply to Thread