how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages? - Mozilla ; Version 1.5.06 Do Tools | Extensions | Get More Extensions Pick a few.. but all say Firefox could not install the file at http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...pport.firefox/ {whatever} because Invalid file hash (possible download corruption). I am mystified, and would appreciate your help....

  1. how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    Version 1.5.06

    Do Tools | Extensions | Get More Extensions

    Pick a few.. but all say

    Firefox could not install the file at
    http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...pport.firefox/ {whatever}
    because Invalid file hash (possible download corruption).

    I am mystified, and would appreciate your help.

  2. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    John Bartley wrote:
    > Version 1.5.06
    >
    > Do Tools | Extensions | Get More Extensions
    >
    > Pick a few.. but all say
    >
    > Firefox could not install the file at
    > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...pport.firefox/ {whatever}
    > because Invalid file hash (possible download corruption).
    >
    > I am mystified, and would appreciate your help.

    right click on that link, select ' Save link as'
    and save extension to your hard disk.
    Now, goto Tools>Extensions. drag that extension
    file (.xpi) and drop it in 'Extension manager' window.
    if you still getting problem to install ,
    Completely close Firefox.
    goto your profile folder
    (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Firefox).
    remove these files :
    1.extensions.ini
    2.extensions.rdf
    3.extensions.cache
    restart Firefox and check.

  3. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    No joy. Did your suggestions step by step, literally, yet the issue
    persists.

    Nir wrote:
    > John Bartley wrote:
    > > Version 1.5.06
    > >
    > > Do Tools | Extensions | Get More Extensions
    > >
    > > Pick a few.. but all say
    > >
    > > Firefox could not install the file at
    > > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...pport.firefox/ {whatever}
    > > because Invalid file hash (possible download corruption).
    > >
    > > I am mystified, and would appreciate your help.
    > >

    > right click on that link, select ' Save link as'
    > and save extension to your hard disk.
    > Now, goto Tools>Extensions. drag that extension
    > file (.xpi) and drop it in 'Extension manager' window.
    > if you still getting problem to install ,
    > Completely close Firefox.
    > goto your profile folder
    > (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Firefox).
    > remove these files :
    > 1.extensions.ini
    > 2.extensions.rdf
    > 3.extensions.cache
    > restart Firefox and check.

  4. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    John Bartley wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> John Bartley wrote:
    >>> Version 1.5.06
    >>>
    >>> Do Tools | Extensions | Get More Extensions
    >>>
    >>> Pick a few.. but all say
    >>>
    >>> Firefox could not install the file at
    >>> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...pport.firefox/ {whatever}
    >>> because Invalid file hash (possible download corruption).
    >>>
    >>> I am mystified, and would appreciate your help.
    >>>

    >> right click on that link, select ' Save link as'
    >> and save extension to your hard disk.
    >> Now, goto Tools>Extensions. drag that extension
    >> file (.xpi) and drop it in 'Extension manager' window.
    >> if you still getting problem to install ,
    >> Completely close Firefox.
    >> goto your profile folder
    >> (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Firefox).
    >> remove these files :
    >> 1.extensions.ini
    >> 2.extensions.rdf
    >> 3.extensions.cache
    >> restart Firefox and check.

    > No joy. Did your suggestions step by step, literally, yet the issue
    > persists.

    Please bottom post in this newsgroup. Thanks.

    Can you provide exactly link of any such extension.

  5. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    Nir wrote:
    > Please bottom post in this newsgroup. Thanks.
    > Can you provide exactly link of any such extension.

    Includes these:
    http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...x+fl+mz+ns.xpi
    http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...-1.4-fx+mz.xpi
    http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi....0.2-fx+mz.xpi

    And, if I download the XPI file and then double-click to launch it,
    same result.

  6. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    John Bartley wrote:

    >>> Nir replied:

    >> John Bartley back:
    >>> No joy. Did your suggestions step by step, literally, yet the issue
    >>> persists.

    > Nir wrote:
    >> Please bottom post in this newsgroup. Thanks.
    >> Can you provide exactly link of any such extension.

    > Includes these:
    > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...x+fl+mz+ns.xpi
    > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...-1.4-fx+mz.xpi
    > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi....0.2-fx+mz.xpi
    >
    > And, if I download the XPI file and then double-click to launch it,
    > same result.

    ..xpi files are not itself installer.
    To install .xpi files , open firefox. goto
    Tools>Extensions. it will open 'extension manager'
    window.
    drag that .xpi file and drop it into 'extension
    manager' window.
    it will pop-up a window. click 'ok' button on that
    window.

  7. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    Nir wrote:

    >>> John Bartley back:

    >> Nir wrote:
    >>> Please bottom post in this newsgroup. Thanks.
    >>> Can you provide exactly link of any such extension.

    >> Includes these:
    >> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...x+fl+mz+ns.xpi
    >>
    >> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...-1.4-fx+mz.xpi
    >>
    >> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi....0.2-fx+mz.xpi
    >>

    >> And, if I download the XPI file and then double-click to launch it,
    >> same result.
    >>

    > .xpi files are not itself installer.
    > To install .xpi files , open firefox. goto Tools>Extensions. it will
    > open 'extension manager' window.
    > drag that .xpi file and drop it into 'extension manager' window.
    > it will pop-up a window. click 'ok' button on that window.

    or click on File, Open File

    --
    Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

    If you are choking on an ice cube, don't panic! Simply pour a cup of
    boiling water down your throat and presto! The blockage will be almost
    instantly removed.

  8. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    "John Bartley" wrote in message news:1156883356.079719.308760@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    > > > Nir replied:

    > > John Bartley back:
    > > > No joy. Did your suggestions step by step, literally, yet the issue
    > > > persists.

    > Nir wrote:
    > > Please bottom post in this newsgroup. Thanks.
    > > Can you provide exactly link of any such extension.

    > Includes these:
    > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...x+fl+mz+ns.xpi
    > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...-1.4-fx+mz.xpi
    > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi....0.2-fx+mz.xpi
    >
    > And, if I download the XPI file and then double-click to launch it,
    > same result.

    I don't know but I saw 1.5.0.6 as the Firefox version, so why would
    you need to pull the files from where you are trying them.

    Adblock
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/10/

    Colorful Tabs
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1368/

    Tinyurl Creator
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/126/

    If in fact you are just using 1.5.0.6
    you can probably find most of what you want on my site.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm#ext
    Since I do not like Tinyurl and such of it's ilk, it would not be on my page.
    But you can read about how to install a search engine for addons.mozilla.org
    tailored for your system. To build one see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...ox.htm#moreext
    --
    David McRitchie, Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

  9. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    > >> John Bartley back:

    > > Nir wrote:
    > >> Please bottom post in this newsgroup. Thanks.
    > >> Can you provide exactly link of any such extension.

    John replied:
    > > Includes these:
    > > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...x+fl+mz+ns.xpi
    > > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...-1.4-fx+mz.xpi
    > > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi....0.2-fx+mz.xpi
    > >
    > > And, if I download the XPI file and then double-click to launch it,
    > > same result.

    > .xpi files are not itself installer.
    > To install .xpi files , open firefox. goto
    > Tools>Extensions. it will open 'extension manager' window.
    > drag that .xpi file and drop it into 'extension manager' window.
    > it will pop-up a window. click 'ok' button on that window.

    As I noted, the same thing happens if I click on it or download it then
    launch it (after registering XPI files for Firefox. So, let's omit the
    issue of launching XPI files, and get back to clicking on it.... what's
    causing that?

  10. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    John Bartley wrote:

    > John replied:
    >
    >>>Includes these:
    >>>http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...x+fl+mz+ns.xpi
    >>>http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...-1.4-fx+mz.xpi
    >>>http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi....0.2-fx+mz.xpi
    >>>
    >>>And, if I download the XPI file and then double-click to launch it,
    >>>same result.

    >>.xpi files are not itself installer.
    >>To install .xpi files , open firefox. goto
    >>Tools>Extensions. it will open 'extension manager' window.
    >>drag that .xpi file and drop it into 'extension manager' window.
    >>it will pop-up a window. click 'ok' button on that window.

    > As I noted, the same thing happens if I click on it or download it then
    > launch it (after registering XPI files for Firefox. So, let's omit the
    > issue of launching XPI files, and get back to clicking on it.... what's
    > causing that?

    I am having the same probloem and have had for the last couple of
    versions of Firefox - Currently 1.5.0.6. Dragging file to Extension
    manager gives same result for me also.
    Richard

  11. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    Richard John wrote:

    >> John replied:

    >>> .xpi files are not itself installer.
    >>> To install .xpi files , open firefox. goto
    >>> Tools>Extensions. it will open 'extension manager' window.
    >>> drag that .xpi file and drop it into 'extension manager' window.
    >>> it will pop-up a window. click 'ok' button on that window.

    >> As I noted, the same thing happens if I click on it or download it then
    >> launch it (after registering XPI files for Firefox. So, let's omit the
    >> issue of launching XPI files, and get back to clicking on it.... what's
    >> causing that?
    >>

    > I am having the same probloem and have had for the last couple of
    > versions of Firefox - Currently 1.5.0.6. Dragging file to Extension
    > manager gives same result for me also.
    > Richard

    To John and Richard
    does it happen for all extensions ? can you
    install themes?

  12. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    Nir wrote in

    > Richard John wrote:

    >>> John replied:

    >>> As I noted, the same thing happens if I click on it or
    >>> download it then launch it (after registering XPI files for
    >>> Firefox. So, let's omit the issue of launching XPI files,
    >>> and get back to clicking on it.... what's causing that?
    >>>

    >> I am having the same probloem and have had for the last
    >> couple of versions of Firefox - Currently 1.5.0.6. Dragging
    >> file to Extension manager gives same result for me also.
    >> Richard

    > To John and Richard
    > does it happen for all extensions ? can you
    > install themes?

    xpi files must be opened from within the program to work. You
    CAN NOT install them by double clicking, period. It doesn't
    matter how you associate them.

    In fact, associating them with a program will probably cause them
    to not work at all.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    There's someone in my head, but it's not me

  13. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > Nir wrote in
    >
    >> Richard John wrote:

    >>> I am having the same probloem and have had for the last
    >>> couple of versions of Firefox - Currently 1.5.0.6. Dragging
    >>> file to Extension manager gives same result for me also.
    >>> Richard

    >> To John and Richard
    >> does it happen for all extensions ? can you
    >> install themes?
    >>

    > xpi files must be opened from within the program to work. You
    > CAN NOT install them by double clicking, period. It doesn't
    > matter how you associate them.
    >
    > In fact, associating them with a program will probably cause them
    > to not work at all.

    Correction on this: I installed Netscape 8.1 and now when I double
    click on an xpi file, it gets installed into Net 8. It took me a
    while to find it, but in windows file types is this entry:

    Netscape Theme or Extension Package

    and the path is: "C:\Program Files\Netscape 8\netscape.exe" "%1"

    I changed to seamonkey.exe and it works

    --
    Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

    Have a bad toothache? Smash your thumb with a hammer and you will
    forget all about that toothache.

  14. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > Nir wrote in
    >
    > > Richard John wrote:

    > >> I am having the same probloem and have had for the last
    > >> couple of versions of Firefox - Currently 1.5.0.6. Dragging
    > >> file to Extension manager gives same result for me also.
    > >> Richard

    > > To John and Richard
    > > does it happen for all extensions ? can you
    > > install themes?

    All extensions. Cannot install themes, either.

    > xpi files must be opened from within the program to work. You
    > CAN NOT install them by double clicking, period. It doesn't
    > matter how you associate them.
    > In fact, associating them with a program will probably cause them
    > to not work at all.

    This happened BEFORE I associated them. It happens after I
    disassociated them. Please focus on the primary issue, the inability
    to install extensions.

    > --
    > }:-) Christopher Jahn
    > {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

  15. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    John Bartley wrote:
    > Christopher Jahn wrote:
    >> Nir wrote in

    >>> To John and Richard
    >>> does it happen for all extensions ? can you
    >>> install themes?

    > All extensions. Cannot install themes, either.
    >
    >> xpi files must be opened from within the program to work. You
    >> CAN NOT install them by double clicking, period. It doesn't
    >> matter how you associate them.
    >> In fact, associating them with a program will probably cause them
    >> to not work at all.

    > This happened BEFORE I associated them. It happens after I
    > disassociated them. Please focus on the primary issue, the inability
    > to install extensions.

    check your settings. In the address bar type in about:config and look
    for this entry:

    xpinstall.enabled

    when found, double click on it and change it to true. Can you now
    install?

    --
    Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

    Have a bad toothache? Smash your thumb with a hammer and you will
    forget all about that toothache.

  16. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    gwtc wrote:
    > check your settings. In the address bar type in about:config and look
    > for this entry:
    > xpinstall.enabled
    > when found, double click on it and change it to true. Can you now
    > install?

    Value was already true. No joy.

  17. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    I have had the same problem. What you can do is (supprising), is to use
    Internet Explorer to download the extension, save it in the desktop,
    open extension windows and drag and drop the*.xpi upon it. It works !!

    John Bartley wrote:

    > > > All extensions. Cannot install themes, either.

    > > John Bartley wrote:
    > > > This happened BEFORE I associated them. It happens after I
    > > > disassociated them. Please focus on the primary issue, the inability
    > > > to install extensions.

    > gwtc wrote:
    > > check your settings. In the address bar type in about:config and look
    > > for this entry:
    > > xpinstall.enabled
    > > when found, double click on it and change it to true. Can you now
    > > install?

    > Value was already true. No joy.

  18. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    John Bartley wrote:

    >>> All extensions. Cannot install themes, either.

    >> John Bartley wrote:
    >>> This happened BEFORE I associated them. It happens after I
    >>> disassociated them. Please focus on the primary issue, the inability
    >>> to install extensions.

    > gwtc wrote:
    >> check your settings. In the address bar type in about:config and look
    >> for this entry:
    >> xpinstall.enabled
    >> when found, double click on it and change it to true. Can you now
    >> install?

    > Value was already true. No joy.

    John, Try two things one by one:
    Create a new profile for test purpose ( to create
    a new profile : Goto Start > Run. Type
    "firefox.exe" -profilemanager )and check whether
    you can install extensions in firefox while using
    that test profile.

    2. if above method fails to work ,
    backup your Firefox profile folder
    (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup)
    un-install Firefox.
    delete installation folder manually.
    Download and install firefox from a fresh installer.
    check still such problem persist or not.
    [ by un-installing firefox you are not going to
    loose any of your private data and settings
    because your profile folder will remain unaffected ]

  19. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    sgueyesn@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have had the same problem. What you can do is (supprising), is to use
    > Internet Explorer to download the extension, save it in the desktop,
    > open extension windows and drag and drop the*.xpi upon it. It works !!

    >> gwtc wrote:
    >>> check your settings. In the address bar type in about:config and look
    >>> for this entry:
    >>> xpinstall.enabled
    >>> when found, double click on it and change it to true. Can you now
    >>> install?

    >> Value was already true. No joy.

    does it show same error message "Invalid file hash
    (possible download corruption)"?

  20. Re: how do I fix Firefox extension install "corrupted hash" messages?

    > sgueyesn@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I have had the same problem. What you can do is (supprising), is to use
    > > Internet Explorer to download the extension, save it in the desktop,
    > > open extension windows and drag and drop the*.xpi upon it. It works !!

    Hi Gerald,
    The above suggestion makes sense, because Internet Explorer would
    not be using the same cache as Firefox. If you get a bad server
    and the file is cached in Firefox supposedly you would not be
    downloading a fresh copy if you already have it in cache,
    Try clearing your Firefox cache now, so you will be set if you
    want to download another extension.

    I never would have thought of dropping into the extensions (tools, extensions),
    and I think I have files in more than one directory because I had problems
    at one time of getting them to keep downloading in the folder I wanted them in.

    In this thread Tonya cleared cache and was able to install
    extension, it was also another day so servers may have been
    reloaded or maybe she got to a different one.
    http://google.com/groups?threadm=kIS...%40mozilla.org

    --
    David McRitchie, Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

+ Reply to Thread