Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? - Mozilla ; On 24.08.2006 11:58 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Moz Champion (Dan) to generate the following:? : > squaredancer wrote: > >> On 23.08.2006 11:43 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris >> Ilias ...

  1. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 24.08.2006 11:58 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Moz
    Champion (Dan) to generate the following:? :

    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 23.08.2006 11:43 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris
    >> Ilias to generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
    >>> matter if it's feasible or not.

    >> that the Devs keep their sticky fingers (and any updates) *away* from
    >> the User-profile.
    >>
    >> If it is necessary to access the profile, the user *MUST BE ASKED*
    >> first and told what action is to be taken.
    >>
    >> IMO most errors presently occuring (except the Firewall factor) are
    >> caused by FF-Updates illegally accessing and changing a perfectly
    >> good profile... - under *no circumstances whatsoever* should FF be
    >> allowed to create a new profile without deliberate user interaction!!
    >>
    >> reg

    > rather hard to do, when the prefs js is profile specific.
    > If the program ADDS a pref, how do you expect it to be done, ignore it
    > until the user does what? Accepts the new version or something?

    did you *READ* this line:
    "If it is necessary to access the profile, the user *MUST BE ASKED*
    first and told what action is to be taken."
    or are you just being contradictory again??

    Otherwise - for your objection, Prefs.js is a program thing and could be
    taken *out* of the profile and placed into the main program folder...
    the Userprefs.js is in the profile for the purpose of inserting
    "personalised" requirements. Any "dev" changes to Prefs.js would then
    *not* affect the profile - which is, after all, a User's Part of the
    application!

    reg

  2. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 24-8-2006 11:59, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    >> On 24-8-2006 10:56, niko wrote:
    >>> Chris Ilias said...
    >>>
    >>> Paste and go, as Opera has.

    >> +1

    > Um whats paste and go?

    Paste and go is when you paste a URL from the clipboard into the
    location bar and immediately go to this URL without the need to press
    the Go button or to press the enter key in the location bar.

    Quite often I copy some URL from another application or from the text on
    a webpage (because this page didn't provide a clickable link, so I have
    to select the text and copy it to the clipboard). Or when a link in an
    email in TB is missing a trailing ')'.
    --
    Regards,

    Roland

  3. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 24-8-2006 11:20, David S wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
    >> matter if it's feasible or not.

    > I'd like to see that sidebar (for bookmarks, history, etc) have the
    > ability to move around from left to right and top to bottom (just make
    > sure it doesn't have a fat title-bar spanning the entire page when at
    > top or bottom [maybe like some off to the side thing] )

    +1

    Maybe the FF3 motto should be "Drag anything anywhere"?
    --
    Regards,

    Roland

  4. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 24.08.2006 10:20 UK Time, David S wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
    >> matter if it's feasible or not.

    > I'd like to see that sidebar (for bookmarks, history, etc) have the
    > ability to move around from left to right and top to bottom (just make
    > sure it doesn't have a fat title-bar spanning the entire page when at
    > top or bottom [maybe like some off to the side thing] )

    The sidebar can already be moved to the right - I'll dig out the
    instructions if you are interested.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  5. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 8/24/2006 03:36 PM India Time, _David S_ wrote:

    > Good points.
    >
    > Also the whole extensions list thing at "addons.mozilla.org" ought be
    > done over.
    >
    > Some people may want functionality and try to find it on the site,
    > others (like me!) may have trawled all of them in an attempt to find
    > things that they haven't thought about before but that once seen are
    > *really* good ideas (they are before but anonymity doesn't help).
    >
    > Maybe there should be a few "My Favorites" lists with single sentence
    > *descriptive* descriptions by impartial people. Then you'll be able to
    > fit 100s to a page (I hate clicking next buttons when developers have
    > rambled on too long).

    That would surely help.

    The search function of mozilla probably depends on the text fed by the
    developers and often it doesn't come up with all options available. I
    tried 5 post-id pad type versions, but I had to ask on this ng to know
    about quicknote that I find the best and am using it.

    Seems the extensions needs to be categorized, and most of them that are
    related to one category (say, downloads, developing, music,
    navigation...) should appear on one page.

    A single line description will be very convenient.

    > There are so many extensions now that it seems a bit unbalanced to me.
    > Maybe also look over the categories and introduce sub-categories?
    >
    > Perhaps this wasn't the newsgroup to post this in, but it seemed to
    > fit the flow of conversation. Please redirect me if too off-topic.
    >
    > David

  6. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    > if it's feasible or not.

    "Corporate" features, ie:

    - MSI installation package for Windows, including selected extensions
    and unattended installation
    - Ability to lock/disable features through GPOs.
    - Updates available as hot fixes, rather than full reinstalls.

    Some of the above has been available through third parties. However, we
    need something from Mozilla if we want our CTO's to consider Firefox as
    a reasonable alternative to IE in corporate environments.

    Thanks a lot.

  7. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 24-8-2006 12:29, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    > On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
    >> matter if it's feasible or not.

    > Have several tab-browsers in one window. For an example, see attached
    > text file "ff mockup.txt" (tried to paste it in the main text of this
    > mail, but it looked horrible).
    >
    > This example mock-up shows three tab-browsers (one tab-browser is what
    > we currently see in FF1.5.*/2.0.*).
    >
    > New tab-browsers can be created freely and be placed anywhere by
    > dragging them around.
    > Dragging their borders can also be used to rearrange them. For example
    > dragging the right border of the lower left tab-browser
    > (cnn.com/bbc.co.uk/nu.nl) to the right should stretch it all along the
    > bottom of the window. The upper right tab-browser
    > (myrss.org/about:bookm) automatically gets resized as a result of this.
    > See attached file "ff mockup2.txt".
    >
    > Tabs can be dragged between tab-browsers, either as "move" from old to
    > destination tab-browser or as "copy" to open same page in destination
    > tab-browser.
    > [...]

    A UI similar to the Eclipse Platform which has multiple
    dockable/dragable views.
    Screenshot:
    Eclipse:
    --
    Regards,

    Roland

  8. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    > if it's feasible or not.

    How about a plugin to do your taxes.

    --
    Linux is just a fancy name for Windows blocker.

    Claude Hopper

  9. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
    > What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    > if it's feasible or not.

    (And as I was thinking about the Eclipse [1] Platform ...)

    Provide a XUL-based rich client platform [2] which can host XUL-based
    applications, such as a browser (FF), an email and/or news client (TB),
    web page editor (SM/MozSuite Composer, NVU), chat program, etc.
    With this platform you could run both Firefox and Thunderbird, for
    example, in the same window. If you later on want to edit web pages, you
    could download the Web Editor app and install it into the platform you
    already have installed on your computer.

    Or... use Eclipse's Rich Client Platform [3,4] to host Firefox (or TB,
    NVU, etc.)

    [1]
    [2]
    [3]
    [4]
    --
    Regards,

    Roland

  10. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 24-8-2006 5:54, Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Roland de Ruiter_ spoke thusly on 23/08/2006 7:28 PM:
    >> Not really a new feature, it annoys me for quite some time:
    >> Fix the "Go"-button to behave like other toolbar buttons when choosing
    >> between "Icons and Text", "Icons" and "Text" in View > Toolbar >
    >> Customize.
    >> Currently (FF1.5.0.6 with default theme), the "Go"-button still shows
    >> the text label "Go" when I've selected "Icons" only. (Have to use
    >> userChrome.css to get rid of it).

    > It's a little reversed in Firefox2.
    > Only icon shows for "Icons".
    > Only text shows for "Text".
    > Only icon shows for "Icons and Text".
    > But I think that's because the Go button is now integrated with the
    > location bar.
    > Screenshot .

    Looks like Bon Echo Beta *2* (your screenshot) has fixed the inseparable
    Go button of Bon Echo Beta *1* (which I still have): in Beta 1 when you
    try to drag the Go button (during Customizing toolbar), it was glued to
    the search field (and /its/ go button), so the search field got dragged
    at the same time.
    --
    Regards,

    Roland

  11. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 24.08.2006 11:58 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Moz
    > Champion (Dan) to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 23.08.2006 11:43 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris
    >>> Ilias to generate the following:? :

    >>> that the Devs keep their sticky fingers (and any updates) *away* from
    >>> the User-profile.
    >>>
    >>> If it is necessary to access the profile, the user *MUST BE ASKED*
    >>> first and told what action is to be taken.
    >>>
    >>> IMO most errors presently occuring (except the Firewall factor) are
    >>> caused by FF-Updates illegally accessing and changing a perfectly
    >>> good profile... - under *no circumstances whatsoever* should FF be
    >>> allowed to create a new profile without deliberate user interaction!!
    >>>
    >>> reg

    >> rather hard to do, when the prefs js is profile specific.
    >> If the program ADDS a pref, how do you expect it to be done, ignore it
    >> until the user does what? Accepts the new version or something?
    >>

    > did you *READ* this line:
    > "If it is necessary to access the profile, the user *MUST BE ASKED*
    > first and told what action is to be taken."
    > or are you just being contradictory again??
    >
    > Otherwise - for your objection, Prefs.js is a program thing and could be
    > taken *out* of the profile and placed into the main program folder...
    > the Userprefs.js is in the profile for the purpose of inserting
    > "personalised" requirements. Any "dev" changes to Prefs.js would then
    > *not* affect the profile - which is, after all, a User's Part of the
    > application!
    >
    > reg

    Whether or not the prefs.js COULD be taken out of the profile or not,
    the fact of the matter is that is IS in the profile currently. So the
    update HAS to change the profile in at least that aspect, or it wouldnt
    be an update!

    The update also includes changes to bookmarks, which also just happen to
    be in the profile. Of course you can claim thats a 'programming' thing
    too, and they could be moved out as well. But they are in the current
    profile.

    Many code changes have to have access to (and make changes to) items in
    the profile. Whether or not these too are 'programming' things (in your
    opinion) and COULD be done outside the profile, once again the fact
    remains they DO exist in the profile currently, and so MUST be changed
    there.

    And the truth be known, users ARE asked whether or not they want it or
    not. If they agree to automatic updates, then its a given they accept
    what changes there are, and that includes changes to files in the
    profile. Even if they dont accept automatic updates, when they manually
    update they are agreeing with the changes to be made - even within the
    profile.

    In most cases, millions upon millions actually, the updates are quite
    smooth and seamless to the user. Of course, you will always have the
    several hundred or so (less than .1%) who experience problems.

    Besides, whats the point?

    So the update present a dialogue stating

    "This update will make changes to your profile"

    Continue Yes No

    Why should 99.9% of users who DONT have problem with updates have to
    click the YES button, just to please the .1% who do have problems with
    updates?

    If you dont want the program or updates to mess with your profile, then
    DONT update!

  12. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    > On 24-8-2006 11:59, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Roland de Ruiter wrote:

    >>> +1

    >> Um whats paste and go?

    > Paste and go is when you paste a URL from the clipboard into the
    > location bar and immediately go to this URL without the need to press
    > the Go button or to press the enter key in the location bar.
    >
    > Quite often I copy some URL from another application or from the text on
    > a webpage (because this page didn't provide a clickable link, so I have
    > to select the text and copy it to the clipboard). Or when a link in an
    > email in TB is missing a trailing ')'.

    That sounds interesting and appealling at first glance. Never looked at
    it that way.

  13. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Herb wrote:
    > The sidebar can already be moved to the right - I'll dig out the
    > instructions if you are interested.

    Yes thanks.

    David

  14. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    squaredancer wrote:
    > that the Devs keep their sticky fingers (and any updates) *away* from
    > the User-profile.
    >
    > If it is necessary to access the profile, the user *MUST BE ASKED* first
    > and told what action is to be taken.
    >
    > IMO most errors presently occuring (except the Firewall factor) are
    > caused by FF-Updates illegally accessing and changing a perfectly good
    > profile... - under *no circumstances whatsoever* should FF be allowed to
    > create a new profile without deliberate user interaction!!
    >
    > reg

    Maybe what you want is some kind of restore and backup function for
    the User-profile, a setting that says; "These profile settings are
    what I want restored when the wheels fall off" ? , or am I completely
    off track?

  15. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    > if it's feasible or not.

    Not exactly a 'feature', but I really wish FF didn't have to be
    restarted every so often because memory usage keeps increasing and
    things slow down. If I start with 5 web pages open and FF is using 60MB
    for them, it shouldn't matter whether I've opened and closed 100 others
    afterwards, if I get back to those original 5 pages the memory usage
    should be back to near 60MB.

    Rob

  16. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 24.08.2006 12:48 UK Time, Claude Hopper wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    >> if it's feasible or not.

    > How about a plugin to do your taxes.

    And another one for making the coffee O:-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  17. Paste and Go

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Roland de Ruiter wrote:

    >> Paste and go is when you paste a URL from the clipboard into the
    >> location bar and immediately go to this URL without the need to press
    >> the Go button or to press the enter key in the location bar.
    >>

    > That sounds interesting and appealling at first glance. Never looked at
    > it that way.

    I can't agree with this one. Many times I'll copy and paste a URL into
    the location bar and "just let it sit there" until I'm finished reading
    the page and ready to go to the URL..

  18. Re: Paste and Go

    Al wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Roland de Ruiter wrote:

    >>> Paste and go is when you paste a URL from the clipboard into the
    >>> location bar and immediately go to this URL without the need to press
    >>> the Go button or to press the enter key in the location bar.
    >>>

    >> That sounds interesting and appealling at first glance. Never looked
    >> at it that way.

    > I can't agree with this one. Many times I'll copy and paste a URL into
    > the location bar and "just let it sit there" until I'm finished reading
    > the page and ready to go to the URL..

    Agreed. And sometimes I paste a URL into the location bar and modify it
    before pressing Enter. I abhor most automatic features like that.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  19. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    > if it's feasible or not.

    Ability to set the default character size for each website. Many sites
    chose text sizes much too small to read. I realize this would cause
    formatting problems in some cases, but let the user choose. Same goes
    for background and text colors, by site.

    Ability to store a set of sites to access as a bookmark, in a single click.

  20. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> What is multizilla?

    >> http://multizilla.mozdev.org/
    >>

    > Well, since I dont use tabs in the first place, its not of much value to
    > me

    Tabs can be VERY useful, depending on how you use the browser. If, for
    instance, you have a site that doesn't allow you to return to the scroll
    position you had when you chose a link when you return, tabs can solve
    this annoying problem. It took me quite a while to make friends with
    the feature, but is quite useful in many cases.