Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? - Mozilla ; Chris Ilias wrote: > What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter > if it's feasible or not. In Firefox for Mac OS, I would like to see new tabs opened for bookmarks and ...

  1. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    > if it's feasible or not.

    In Firefox for Mac OS, I would like to see new tabs opened for bookmarks
    and toolbar buttons with Command-click, just as they are treated in
    Windows with middle-click.

  2. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Jim Scott wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:43:13 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    >> if it's feasible or not.

    > To not have to install extensions.
    > It's alright for us folk who have the time and the know-how, but whether you
    > like it or not Firefox is never going to replace any browser that comes
    > complete out-of-the-box.

    How do you define complete? Your definition probably differs from mine
    (and anybody else's).

  3. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 23.08.2006 23:53 UK Time, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    > On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
    >> matter if it's feasible or not.

    > Split tab: be able to view different parts of the *same page* next to
    > each other (vertical split) or above/below each other (horizontal
    > split). Or to be able to view two *different pages* next to/above/below
    > each other.

    Yes please!!!

    With functionality similar to Acrobat Reader 7 please - see "Tile tabs"
    thread.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  4. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    _Jim Scott_ spoke thusly on 23/08/2006 7:42 PM:
    > To not have to install extensions.
    > It's alright for us folk who have the time and the know-how, but whether you
    > like it or not Firefox is never going to replace any browser that comes
    > complete out-of-the-box.

    Are there any specific extensions, you are referring to?
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  5. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 23.08.2006 11:43 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Ilias
    to generate the following:? :

    > What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
    > matter if it's feasible or not.

    that the Devs keep their sticky fingers (and any updates) *away* from
    the User-profile.

    If it is necessary to access the profile, the user *MUST BE ASKED* first
    and told what action is to be taken.

    IMO most errors presently occuring (except the Firewall factor) are
    caused by FF-Updates illegally accessing and changing a perfectly good
    profile... - under *no circumstances whatsoever* should FF be allowed to
    create a new profile without deliberate user interaction!!

    reg

  6. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 24.08.2006 01:14 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Roland de
    Ruiter to generate the following:? :

    > On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
    >> matter if it's feasible or not.

    > "Print Frame" in sub menu "This Frame" of right-click context menu
    > (and it actually should print the selected frame, of course).
    > "Print Page" in right-click context menu (idem).

    methinks, the complete "Print" function needs a look at - problems with
    the Print-function crop up here several times a month - usually about
    Frames (as you suggest) or not getting the complete URL printed out
    (formatting)!

    reg

  7. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
    > What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    > if it's feasible or not.

    True page-zoom/page-magnification: not just text size with
    Ctrl++/Ctrl+-/Ctrl-0, but also pictures/flash/
    's/etc. Ctrl+Mouswheel
    to zoom in&out (just like now for text-size only).
    Adobe Reader-like grab-hand cursor to drag page inside the viewport;
    e.g. with Ctrl+Mouse-drag or just mouse-drag but then with toolbar
    button (ala Adobe Reader to switch between Hand Tool/Select
    Tool/Snapshot Tool) to switch between different mouse/cursor modes:
    (1) Default, where mouse click opens link and mouse-drag selects text
    (2) Drag page mode (ala Hand Tool of Adobe Reader)
    (3?) Caret browsing
    --
    Regards,

    Roland

  8. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 8/24/2006 04:23 AM India Time, _Roland de Ruiter_ wrote:

    > On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    >> if it's feasible or not.

    > Split tab: be able to view different parts of the *same page* next to
    > each other (vertical split) or above/below each other (horizontal
    > split). Or to be able to view two *different pages* next to/above/below
    > each other.

    Good Idea. Would be very convenient. and, ie7 doesn't have it. :-)

    Thanks Ronald. Over to developers.

  9. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Roland de Ruiter said...
    > On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
    > > What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    > > if it's feasible or not.

    > Split tab: be able to view different parts of the *same page* next to
    > each other (vertical split) or above/below each other (horizontal
    > split). Or to be able to view two *different pages* next to/above/below
    > each other.

    Nice one.

    --
    Best,
    Marc

  10. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Chris Ilias said...
    > What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    > if it's feasible or not.

    Paste and go, as Opera has.

    --
    nico

  11. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 24-8-2006 10:56, niko wrote:
    > Chris Ilias said...
    >> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    >> if it's feasible or not.

    > Paste and go, as Opera has.

    +1
    --
    Regards,

    Roland

  12. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    > if it's feasible or not.

    I'd like to see that sidebar (for bookmarks, history, etc) have the
    ability to move around from left to right and top to bottom (just make
    sure it doesn't have a fat title-bar spanning the entire page when at
    top or bottom [maybe like some off to the side thing] )

  13. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:15:02 -0700, EE wrote:

    > Jim Scott wrote:
    >> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:43:13 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    >>> if it's feasible or not.

    >> To not have to install extensions.
    >> It's alright for us folk who have the time and the know-how, but whether you
    >> like it or not Firefox is never going to replace any browser that comes
    >> complete out-of-the-box.

    > How do you define complete? Your definition probably differs from mine
    > (and anybody else's).

    I obviously should have not used the word 'complete'.
    The point I am trying to make is that when I recommend people to move to FF,
    they come back and say it doesn't do 'such and such'. When I explain that
    there is an extension to do that, they look at me as if I am mad.

    BTW I do not believe that there is (or ever will be) a browser which is
    'complete', but isn't it strange that everyone who bristled at my reply
    assumed I was talking about IE?
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  14. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 8/24/2006 05:12 AM India Time, _Jim Scott_ wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:43:13 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    >> if it's feasible or not.

    > To not have to install extensions.
    > It's alright for us folk who have the time and the know-how, but whether you
    > like it or not Firefox is never going to replace any browser that comes
    > complete out-of-the-box.

    I agree with you.

    Extensions have become so widespread that they are unmanageable. There
    are just too many of them. Some are so small in 60 KB, some are single
    function like Restart button.

    I have been using netscape/ firefox for 7 years, and even now I have to
    ask question in these ngs to know whether any extension exists to do
    what I want.

    The question is: How many of those millions of firefox users are
    visiting this ng and asking questions? Thus, most of them are suffering
    due to lack of something in the basic version when an extension exists
    for what they want to do.

    Thus, the entire extension philosophy needs to be looked into.

    On the other hand, I see the wisdom of allowing extensions, because that
    provides us free of charge, quality word done by capable people. Someone
    feels a need, and develops an extension, and shares free with rest of
    us. It is good.

    I think that the extensions which are most downloaded should be merged
    in the basic build of firefox. Some of them are:

    - Tabmixplus and its boosters
    - noScript
    - Adblock with its boosters

    I think the above should get integrated in the basic build of firefox.

    I am not finding much use of some like:
    - Fasterfox
    - Foxytunes

    The above can remain extensions as they are now.

    Then, there are some good very convenient concepts that should also get
    included in the basic build because they add functionality. Some are:
    - Mousegestures (some browsers are offerring it. and it is very convenient)
    - post-it pad (there are several extensions for it, but none fits the bill)
    - fireftp
    - imagezoom
    - minimize to tray

    I think the above sort of things should be build in the basic ff.

    Then, some extensions should be merged and provided as a single package
    extension because they are related, and currently are doing duplicate
    work because they are separate, or are needed to be installed in set.

    - Greasemonkey
    - Platyplus
    - chickenfoot
    - Aardvark
    - dom inspector
    - inspect it

    Similarly, there should be single extension for buttons and all
    extensions offering buttons should get merged in it which should be
    downloadable as a single database. Individual developers might still
    develop their buttons and contribute to it.

    Similarly, the download-related extensions should get merged into single
    one:
    - Flashgot
    - Downloadthemall
    - videodownloader
    - pdf download.
    - fdm plugin

    Thus, I think that it is the extension philosophy that needs to be
    reorganised. Merge extensions doing the same work and provide individual
    variant as option in the single extension. Then, whichever top 10
    extensions find the most users (max downloads) should get merged in the
    basic build.

    Thus, the thousands of tiny extensions should pave way to have some 100
    big extensions. In that case, whoever download some particular extension
    would not really mind that part of that extension that he doesn't use.

    And yeah, do away with the need to restart ff after installing an extension.

    thanks for your patience.
    --
    Vicky

  15. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    EE wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
    >> matter if it's feasible or not.

    > In Firefox for Mac OS, I would like to see new tabs opened for bookmarks
    > and toolbar buttons with Command-click, just as they are treated in
    > Windows with middle-click.

    hold down the control key and you get the option

  16. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 23.08.2006 11:43 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Ilias
    > to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
    >> matter if it's feasible or not.

    > that the Devs keep their sticky fingers (and any updates) *away* from
    > the User-profile.
    >
    > If it is necessary to access the profile, the user *MUST BE ASKED* first
    > and told what action is to be taken.
    >
    > IMO most errors presently occuring (except the Firewall factor) are
    > caused by FF-Updates illegally accessing and changing a perfectly good
    > profile... - under *no circumstances whatsoever* should FF be allowed to
    > create a new profile without deliberate user interaction!!
    >
    > reg

    rather hard to do, when the prefs js is profile specific.
    If the program ADDS a pref, how do you expect it to be done, ignore it
    until the user does what? Accepts the new version or something?

  17. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Roland de Ruiter wrote:
    > On 24-8-2006 10:56, niko wrote:
    >> Chris Ilias said...
    >>> What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't
    >>> matter if it's feasible or not.

    >> Paste and go, as Opera has.

    > +1

    Um whats paste and go?

  18. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Good points.

    Also the whole extensions list thing at "addons.mozilla.org" ought be
    done over.

    Some people may want functionality and try to find it on the site,
    others (like me!) may have trawled all of them in an attempt to find
    things that they haven't thought about before but that once seen are
    *really* good ideas (they are before but anonymity doesn't help).

    Maybe there should be a few "My Favorites" lists with single sentence
    *descriptive* descriptions by impartial people. Then you'll be able to
    fit 100s to a page (I hate clicking next buttons when developers have
    rambled on too long).

    There are so many extensions now that it seems a bit unbalanced to me.
    Maybe also look over the categories and introduce sub-categories?

    Perhaps this wasn't the newsgroup to post this in, but it seemed to
    fit the flow of conversation. Please redirect me if too off-topic.

    David

  19. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    Jim Scott wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:15:02 -0700, EE wrote:
    >
    >> Jim Scott wrote:

    >>> To not have to install extensions.
    >>> It's alright for us folk who have the time and the know-how, but whether you
    >>> like it or not Firefox is never going to replace any browser that comes
    >>> complete out-of-the-box.

    >> How do you define complete? Your definition probably differs from mine
    >> (and anybody else's).

    > I obviously should have not used the word 'complete'.
    > The point I am trying to make is that when I recommend people to move to FF,
    > they come back and say it doesn't do 'such and such'. When I explain that
    > there is an extension to do that, they look at me as if I am mad.
    >
    > BTW I do not believe that there is (or ever will be) a browser which is
    > 'complete', but isn't it strange that everyone who bristled at my reply
    > assumed I was talking about IE?

    Well you said it was never going to replace any browser that comes
    complete out of the box.

    Well the ONLY browser it hasnt surpassed (or replaced) by numbers is
    Microsofts IE. So what OTHER browser could you be talking about?
    Opera usage rates remain stuck below 2% even tho it was released much
    earlier than Firefox. Heck even Mozilla (suite) has higher usage than Opera!
    Other browsers dont even rate a mention their percentage are so low.

    So, the only browser it hasnt 'replaced' so far (completely) is IE. What
    were you talking about then?

  20. Re: Poll: What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox?

    On 23-8-2006 23:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
    > What new few feature would you like to see in Firefox? I doesn't matter
    > if it's feasible or not.

    Have several tab-browsers in one window. For an example, see attached
    text file "ff mockup.txt" (tried to paste it in the main text of this
    mail, but it looked horrible).

    This example mock-up shows three tab-browsers (one tab-browser is what
    we currently see in FF1.5.*/2.0.*).

    New tab-browsers can be created freely and be placed anywhere by
    dragging them around.
    Dragging their borders can also be used to rearrange them. For example
    dragging the right border of the lower left tab-browser
    (cnn.com/bbc.co.uk/nu.nl) to the right should stretch it all along the
    bottom of the window. The upper right tab-browser
    (myrss.org/about:bookm) automatically gets resized as a result of this.
    See attached file "ff mockup2.txt".

    Tabs can be dragged between tab-browsers, either as "move" from old to
    destination tab-browser or as "copy" to open same page in destination
    tab-browser.

    The place and control of the back/forward buttons and the location
    toolbar is an issue:
    (1) they only have effect on the focused tab-browser.
    (1.1) how to change focus between tab-browsers? (just clicking on it,
    which keyboard shortcut, e.g. Ctrl+Tab)
    (1.2) how to recognize which tab-browser has focus (visual feedback,
    e.g. by (background)colors or different border).
    (2) alternative: put back/forward/location toolbar on each tab-browser
    (2.1) Won't this get crowded? Sloppy UI?
    (2.2) Or... only make this toolbar visible when the tab-browser has focus
    --
    Regards,

    Roland

    ################################################## ##############################
    # File Edit View History Bookmarks Tools Help O #
    # #
    # Back Forw Home Location: http://www.google.com Go Search #
    # .................................................. . ........................ #
    #:+-----------+-----------+----------+ :+--------+-----------+ :#
    #:| mozilla.com\ googl.com \ java.net\ :|myrss.org\about:bookm\ :#
    #:+-------------+ +-----------------------+:+ +-----------+:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:+-------------------------------------------------+:| |:#
    #:................................................ ...:| |:#
    #:+---------+----------+----------+ :| |:#
    #:| cnn.com \ bbc.co.uk\ nu.nl \ :| |:#
    #:+ +-------------------------------------+:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:| |:| |:#
    #:+-------------------------------------------------+:+----------------------+:#
    # .................................................. . ........................ #
    # Status bar #
    ################################################## ##############################

    ################################################## ##############################
[...]
    #:| cnn.com \ bbc.co.uk\ nu.nl \ |*<- drag border to here
    #:| |:#
    #:| |:#
    # Status bar #