Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile' - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile' - Mozilla ; Is there a description somewhere of where Firefox puts its 'profile' (or whatever it's called), AND how to put it somewhere else? Same question for Thunderbird. Thanks....

  1. Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Is there a description somewhere of where Firefox puts its 'profile' (or
    whatever it's called), AND how to put it somewhere else?
    Same question for Thunderbird.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    cew wrote:
    > Is there a description somewhere of where Firefox puts its 'profile' (or
    > whatever it's called), AND how to put it somewhere else?
    > Same question for Thunderbird.
    > Thanks.

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

  3. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Nir wrote:
    > cew wrote:
    >> Is there a description somewhere of where Firefox puts its 'profile'
    >> (or whatever it's called), AND how to put it somewhere else?
    >> Same question for Thunderbird.
    >> Thanks.

    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

    also you may see these:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

  4. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Nir wrote:

    > cew wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a description somewhere of where Firefox puts its 'profile'
    >> (or whatever it's called), AND how to put it somewhere else?
    >> Same question for Thunderbird.
    >> Thanks.

    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

    Thanks very much. That was easy.

  5. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Nir wrote:
    > cew wrote:
    >> Is there a description somewhere of where Firefox puts its 'profile'
    >> (or whatever it's called), AND how to put it somewhere else?
    >> Same question for Thunderbird.
    >> Thanks.

    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

    I ran Windows Explorer as the fist site above explains: Tools->Folder
    Options->View (tab)->Show Hidden files and folders. However, "Show
    Hidden" was already selected, but I still cannot find the folder
    "Application Data" on my computer. XP Media Center. Would appreciate
    further guidance.

    Thanks!

    Steve

  6. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> cew wrote:
    >>> Is there a description somewhere of where Firefox puts its
    >>> 'profile' (or whatever it's called), AND how to put it somewhere
    >>> else? Same question for Thunderbird. Thanks.

    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

    > I ran Windows Explorer as the fist site above explains: Tools->Folder
    > Options->View (tab)->Show Hidden files and folders. However, "Show
    > Hidden" was already selected, but I still cannot find the folder
    > "Application Data" on my computer. XP Media Center. Would
    > appreciate further guidance.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Steve

    follow the method as described in this article
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Other_profiles".
    when you find the path , right click > copy
    paste that path in the location bar of windows explorer , press Enter.

  7. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Nir wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

    >> I ran Windows Explorer as the fist site above explains: Tools->Folder
    >> Options->View (tab)->Show Hidden files and folders. However, "Show
    >> Hidden" was already selected, but I still cannot find the folder
    >> "Application Data" on my computer. XP Media Center. Would
    >> appreciate further guidance.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Steve

    > follow the method as described in this article
    > "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Other_profiles".
    > when you find the path , right click > copy
    > paste that path in the location bar of windows explorer , press Enter.

    Windows Explorer says the page cannot be displayed. :-(

    Steve

  8. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:

    >>> I ran Windows Explorer as the fist site above explains: Tools->Folder
    >>> Options->View (tab)->Show Hidden files and folders. However, "Show
    >>> Hidden" was already selected, but I still cannot find the folder
    >>> "Application Data" on my computer. XP Media Center. Would
    >>> appreciate further guidance.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> follow the method as described in this article
    >> "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Other_profiles".
    >> when you find the path , right click > copy
    >> paste that path in the location bar of windows explorer , press Enter.

    > Windows Explorer says the page cannot be displayed. :-(
    >
    > Steve

    are you using root/Administrative account in windows?

  9. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> cew wrote:
    >>> Is there a description somewhere of where Firefox puts its 'profile'
    >>> (or whatever it's called), AND how to put it somewhere else?
    >>> Same question for Thunderbird.
    >>> Thanks.

    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

    > I ran Windows Explorer as the fist site above explains: Tools->Folder
    > Options->View (tab)->Show Hidden files and folders. However, "Show
    > Hidden" was already selected, but I still cannot find the folder
    > "Application Data" on my computer. XP Media Center. Would appreciate
    > further guidance.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Steve

    Are you looking in the correct Windows user/logon name?

    Have you tried: "Start → Run → %APPDATA% will open the "Application
    Data" folder

    Have you tried this:

    There are actually two settings that affect hidden files and folders as
    noted in the above link.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  10. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:

    >>> I ran Windows Explorer as the fist site above explains: Tools->Folder
    >>> Options->View (tab)->Show Hidden files and folders. However, "Show
    >>> Hidden" was already selected, but I still cannot find the folder
    >>> "Application Data" on my computer. XP Media Center. Would
    >>> appreciate further guidance.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> follow the method as described in this article
    >> "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Other_profiles".
    >> when you find the path , right click > copy
    >> paste that path in the location bar of windows explorer , press Enter.

    > Windows Explorer says the page cannot be displayed. :-(
    >
    > Steve

    There are two settings to change per the above link.

    "Display the contents of system folders"
    "Show hidden files and folders"

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not
    sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

  11. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

    >> I ran Windows Explorer as the fist site above explains: Tools->Folder
    >> Options->View (tab)->Show Hidden files and folders. However, "Show
    >> Hidden" was already selected, but I still cannot find the folder
    >> "Application Data" on my computer. XP Media Center. Would appreciate
    >> further guidance.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Are you looking in the correct Windows user/logon name?
    >
    > Have you tried: "Start → Run → %APPDATA% will open the "Application
    > Data" folder
    >
    > Have you tried this:
    >

    > There are actually two settings that affect hidden files and folders as
    > noted in the above link.

    I will tend to it ASAP. Thanks

    Steve

  12. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> follow the method as described in this article
    >>> "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Other_profiles".
    >>> when you find the path , right click > copy
    >>> paste that path in the location bar of windows explorer , press Enter.

    >> Windows Explorer says the page cannot be displayed. :-(
    >>
    >> Steve

    > There are two settings to change per the above link.
    >
    > "Display the contents of system folders"
    > "Show hidden files and folders"

    Did both. Application Data Folder still doesn't show.

    Steve

  13. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

    >> I ran Windows Explorer as the fist site above explains: Tools->Folder
    >> Options->View (tab)->Show Hidden files and folders. However, "Show
    >> Hidden" was already selected, but I still cannot find the folder
    >> "Application Data" on my computer. XP Media Center. Would appreciate
    >> further guidance.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Are you looking in the correct Windows user/logon name?
    >
    > Have you tried: "Start → Run → %APPDATA% will open the "Application
    > Data" folder
    >
    > Have you tried this:
    >

    > There are actually two settings that affect hidden files and folders as
    > noted in the above link.

    OK! Found it. Path is through "Documents and Settings," not "Program
    Files." Counterintuitive to me. Thanks!

    Steve

  14. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:

    >>> Windows Explorer says the page cannot be displayed. :-(
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> There are two settings to change per the above link.
    >>
    >> "Display the contents of system folders"
    >> "Show hidden files and folders"
    >>

    > Did both. Application Data Folder still doesn't show.
    >
    > Steve

    Are you logged on with Administrator permissions? Not even sure that's
    needed but I'm stumped at the moment as to why it's not working.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  15. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:

    >>> I ran Windows Explorer as the fist site above explains: Tools->Folder
    >>> Options->View (tab)->Show Hidden files and folders. However, "Show
    >>> Hidden" was already selected, but I still cannot find the folder
    >>> "Application Data" on my computer. XP Media Center. Would
    >>> appreciate further guidance.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> Are you looking in the correct Windows user/logon name?
    >>
    >> Have you tried: "Start → Run → %APPDATA% will open the"Application
    >> Data" folder
    >>
    >> Have you tried this:
    >>

    >> There are actually two settings that affect hidden files and folders
    >> as noted in the above link.
    >>

    > OK! Found it. Path is through "Documents and Settings," not "Program
    > Files." Counterintuitive to me. Thanks!
    >
    > Steve

    Good. With Windows XP they defined that as a default location for
    programs to store settings separately from the program installation
    location. There is a good rationale for that as evidenced by the way
    Mozilla apps handle Profiles. See:
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  16. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    On 2007-01-16 09:48 (-0700 UTC), Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Stephen Fox wrote:

    >> Application Data Folder still doesn't show.

    > Are you logged on with Administrator permissions? Not even sure that's
    > needed but I'm stumped at the moment as to why it's not working.

    IIRC, you have to unhide it. No admin privs should be necessary, since it's
    the user's own data (hence why Documents and Settings exists in the first
    place in permissions-based Windows systems).

    /b.

    --
    People are stupid. /A/ person may be smart, but /people/ are stupid.
    --Stephen M. Graham

  17. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> Are you looking in the correct Windows user/logon name?
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried: "Start → Run → %APPDATA% will open the "Application
    >>> Data" folder
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried this:
    >>>

    >>> There are actually two settings that affect hidden files and folders
    >>> as noted in the above link.
    >>>

    >> OK! Found it. Path is through "Documents and Settings," not "Program
    >> Files." Counterintuitive to me. Thanks!
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Good. With Windows XP they defined that as a default location for
    > programs to store settings separately from the program installation
    > location. There is a good rationale for that as evidenced by the way
    > Mozilla apps handle Profiles. See:
    > http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html

    I have learned in like that there is good reason for anything I don't
    happen to know, as apparently everyone else does. :-)

    Steve

  18. Re: Firefox / Thunderbird 'profile'

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:

    >>> OK! Found it. Path is through "Documents and Settings," not
    >>> "Program Files." Counterintuitive to me. Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> Good. With Windows XP they defined that as a default location for
    >> programs to store settings separately from the program installation
    >> location. There is a good rationale for that as evidenced by the way
    >> Mozilla apps handle Profiles. See:
    >> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html
    >>

    > I have learned in like that there is good reason for anything I don't
    > happen to know, as apparently everyone else does. :-)
    >
    > Steve

    Or as I like to say: "Well, hell, if I had only known that!" :-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

+ Reply to Thread