How to just install downloads without saving to disk? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to just install downloads without saving to disk? - Mozilla ; As with Internet Explorer? For exe files, etc. Thank you....

  1. How to just install downloads without saving to disk?

    As with Internet Explorer? For exe files, etc.
    Thank you.

  2. Re: How to just install downloads without saving to disk?

    Sam wrote:
    > As with Internet Explorer? For exe files, etc.
    > Thank you.

    unlike ie, thats a security feature of FF. You have to download,
    save, then install.

    --
    Maxims for the Internet Age: Speak softly and carry a cellular phone.

  3. Re: How to just install downloads without saving to disk?

    Sam wrote:
    > As with Internet Explorer? For exe files, etc.
    > Thank you.

    You cant. The product was designed that way to protect you. Exe files
    are the primary vector for installing viruses and trojans and other
    malware on computers.

    By forcing you to download it first, there is no way a user can claim
    Firefox infected them, they had to purposedly download it, then
    install/run it from their hard drive.

    Allowing .exe files to run opens you up to all sorts of trojans, worms,
    virues and other forms of malware. And even having up to date Anti-virus
    programs wont protect you either.

    The biggest infection known was the 'I Love You' virus. It infected over
    30 million computers around the world in 3 days. It ended up costing an
    estimated 5 to 6 billion dollars to fix (downtime, cleaning corporate
    networks, etc). It used an .exe file to pass the virus along, and many
    thought they were being quite smug and opened it because their latest
    and greatest Anti viral program said it was clean. Problem was, NO Anti
    Viral program could detect it! That didnt come until 3 to 7 days AFTER
    it was all over.

    But what the hey, its only your computer, go ahead and run exe files, I
    hear some of the cleanups can take weeks - at least it will keep you
    busy

  4. Re: How to just install downloads without saving to disk?

    Sam wrote:
    > As with Internet Explorer? For exe files, etc.
    > Thank you.

    Somewhat risky thing to do as regards security.

+ Reply to Thread