double instance of firefox back again - Mozilla

This is a discussion on double instance of firefox back again - Mozilla ; If I click on a desktop or quick launch or an email url I get two instances of Firefox opening. Often one of them is a tiny window up in the left hand corner of my desktop which maximises if ...

  1. double instance of firefox back again

    If I click on a desktop or quick launch or an email url I get two
    instances of Firefox opening. Often one of them is a tiny window up in
    the left hand corner of my desktop which maximises if I ask it, to a
    title bar and blank white body area. The other window is normal.
    Sometimes I just get two normal windows with the target url in.

    This keeps re-occurring and I haven't worked out what triggers it yet.
    Last time I found that closing Firefox with Ctrol-close button worked -
    but not this time.

    WinXP Home - latest edition of Mozilla Firefox.

    Any ideas welcome. I'm happy to edit about:config

    I can't check in Safe Mode as it doesn't happen if FF is already open -
    only if I click on a url

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

  2. Re: double instance of firefox back again

    Robert M Jones wrote:
    > If I click on a desktop or quick launch or an email url I get two
    > instances of Firefox opening. Often one of them is a tiny window up in
    > the left hand corner of my desktop which maximises if I ask it, to a
    > title bar and blank white body area. The other window is normal.
    > Sometimes I just get two normal windows with the target url in.
    >
    > This keeps re-occurring and I haven't worked out what triggers it yet.
    > Last time I found that closing Firefox with Ctrol-close button worked -
    > but not this time.
    >
    > WinXP Home - latest edition of Mozilla Firefox.
    >
    > Any ideas welcome. I'm happy to edit about:config
    >
    > I can't check in Safe Mode as it doesn't happen if FF is already open -
    > only if I click on a url

    Have you checked it in a new profile as gwtc suggested ?

  3. Re: double instance of firefox back again

    Nir wrote:
    > Robert M Jones wrote:
    >> If I click on a desktop or quick launch or an email url I get two
    >> instances of Firefox opening. Often one of them is a tiny window up in
    >> the left hand corner of my desktop which maximises if I ask it, to a
    >> title bar and blank white body area. The other window is normal.
    >> Sometimes I just get two normal windows with the target url in.
    >>
    >> This keeps re-occurring and I haven't worked out what triggers it yet.
    >> Last time I found that closing Firefox with Ctrol-close button worked -
    >> but not this time.
    >>
    >> WinXP Home - latest edition of Mozilla Firefox.
    >>
    >> Any ideas welcome. I'm happy to edit about:config
    >>
    >> I can't check in Safe Mode as it doesn't happen if FF is already open -
    >> only if I click on a url
    >>

    > Have you checked it in a new profile as gwtc suggested ?

    Yes but by then it had gone away anyway!
    This time - doing the same thing (a new test profile) - I get a variety
    of results - first time - two tabs in one window - second time - one
    window followed by an windows error message suggesting the second window
    couldn't open, third time - one window followed by a very busy CPU.
    But no little windows up in the top left.
    Fourth time - after letting cpu settle down - two identical full screen
    windows..
    So it isn't the profile - but I can't see what it IS or what seems to
    set it off - it happens every few days but I haven't worked out what the
    trigger is.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

  4. Re: double instance of firefox back again

    Robert M Jones wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Robert M Jones wrote:
    >>> If I click on a desktop or quick launch or an email url I get two
    >>> instances of Firefox opening. Often one of them is a tiny window up in
    >>> the left hand corner of my desktop which maximises if I ask it, to a
    >>> title bar and blank white body area. The other window is normal.
    >>> Sometimes I just get two normal windows with the target url in.
    >>>
    >>> This keeps re-occurring and I haven't worked out what triggers it yet.
    >>> Last time I found that closing Firefox with Ctrol-close button worked -
    >>> but not this time.
    >>>
    >>> WinXP Home - latest edition of Mozilla Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas welcome. I'm happy to edit about:config
    >>>
    >>> I can't check in Safe Mode as it doesn't happen if FF is already open -
    >>> only if I click on a url
    >>>

    >> Have you checked it in a new profile as gwtc suggested ?

    > Yes but by then it had gone away anyway!
    > This time - doing the same thing (a new test profile) - I get a variety
    > of results - first time - two tabs in one window - second time - one
    > window followed by an windows error message suggesting the second window
    > couldn't open, third time - one window followed by a very busy CPU.
    > But no little windows up in the top left.
    > Fourth time - after letting cpu settle down - two identical full screen
    > windows..
    > So it isn't the profile - but I can't see what it IS or what seems to
    > set it off - it happens every few days but I haven't worked out what the
    > trigger is.

    is there any new extension or theme installed in new profile ?

  5. Re: double instance of firefox back again

    Nir wrote:
    > Robert M Jones wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> Have you checked it in a new profile as gwtc suggested ?

    >> Yes but by then it had gone away anyway!
    >> This time - doing the same thing (a new test profile) - I get a variety
    >> of results - first time - two tabs in one window - second time - one
    >> window followed by an windows error message suggesting the second window
    >> couldn't open, third time - one window followed by a very busy CPU.
    >> But no little windows up in the top left.
    >> Fourth time - after letting cpu settle down - two identical full screen
    >> windows..
    >> So it isn't the profile - but I can't see what it IS or what seems to
    >> set it off - it happens every few days but I haven't worked out what the
    >> trigger is.
    >>

    > is there any new extension or theme installed in new profile ?

    if you are using default Theme and extensions , then goto Tools>Options>Tabs.
    Under 'Open links from other application in: ' , select 'a new tab in most
    recent window'
    also , activate 'force links that open new windows to open in : ' and select
    'new tab'
    select 'hide the tab bar when only one web site is open'

  6. Re: double instance of firefox back again

    You might check to see if it happens later on after opening PDF file,
    think I may have seen something along those lines.

    Anyway it is a very annoying problem, and if I ever get a definite solution
    I will include it on my firefox.htm page. In the meantime see if this makes
    resizing easier and helps alleviate the problem somewhat.
    -- Close the other (the normal) Firefox windows, then use
    Ctrl+Spacebar and chose Size in the presented context menu
    and enlarge window with cursor. A bit easier than simply trying to grab
    the edges of the window with the cursor.
    -- Close the Firefox window, reopen Firefox
    (If Firefox doesn't reopen then eliminate it from the Task Manager first)

    The above may help, but it definitely will not eliminate the problem.
    ---
    David McRitchie, for my notes customizing Firefox, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

  7. Re: double instance of firefox back again

    Nir wrote:
    > Robert M Jones wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> Have you checked it in a new profile as gwtc suggested ?

    >> Yes but by then it had gone away anyway!
    >> This time - doing the same thing (a new test profile) - I get a variety
    >> of results - first time - two tabs in one window - second time - one
    >> window followed by an windows error message suggesting the second window
    >> couldn't open, third time - one window followed by a very busy CPU.
    >> But no little windows up in the top left.
    >> Fourth time - after letting cpu settle down - two identical full screen
    >> windows..
    >> So it isn't the profile - but I can't see what it IS or what seems to
    >> set it off - it happens every few days but I haven't worked out what the
    >> trigger is.
    >>

    > is there any new extension or theme installed in new profile ?

    no

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

  8. Re: double instance of firefox back again

    David McRitchie wrote:

    > You might check to see if it happens later on after opening PDF file,
    > think I may have seen something along those lines.
    >
    > Anyway it is a very annoying problem, and if I ever get a definite solution
    > I will include it on my firefox.htm page. In the meantime see if this makes
    > resizing easier and helps alleviate the problem somewhat.
    > -- Close the other (the normal) Firefox windows, then use
    > Ctrl+Spacebar and chose Size in the presented context menu
    > and enlarge window with cursor. A bit easier than simply trying to grab
    > the edges of the window with the cursor.
    > -- Close the Firefox window, reopen Firefox
    > (If Firefox doesn't reopen then eliminate it from the Task Manager first)
    >
    > The above may help, but it definitely will not eliminate the problem.
    > ---
    > David McRitchie, for my notes customizing Firefox, see
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    I have inspected my Windows "file types" list and while htm and html
    files are set to open with firefox, url files are set to "shell doc
    object and control" - and I am getting Windows error messages
    occasionally when clicking on urls - as if one instance of firefox can
    open normally but the other one is locking up. Sometimes the small
    firefox window opens after a delay when the machne is unresponsive.

    Next thing is to adjust the url entry to Firefox instead of shell doc
    object and control.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

  9. Re: double instance of firefox back again

    Robert M Jones wrote:
    > If I click on a desktop or quick launch or an email url I get two
    > instances of Firefox opening. Often one of them is a tiny window up in
    > the left hand corner of my desktop which maximises if I ask it, to a
    > title bar and blank white body area. The other window is normal.
    > Sometimes I just get two normal windows with the target url in.
    >
    > This keeps re-occurring and I haven't worked out what triggers it yet.
    > Last time I found that closing Firefox with Ctrol-close button worked -
    > but not this time.
    >
    > WinXP Home - latest edition of Mozilla Firefox.
    >
    > Any ideas welcome. I'm happy to edit about:config
    >
    > I can't check in Safe Mode as it doesn't happen if FF is already open -
    > only if I click on a url

    I've restored an image of C partition from a week ago and that has
    solved the problem. C has only my Windows stuff on it.
    I think it may be to do with my File Associations but I will watch out
    for a recurrence.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

+ Reply to Thread