IE7 and Mozilla products - Mozilla

This is a discussion on IE7 and Mozilla products - Mozilla ; Saw this http://redmondmag.com/news/article.a...torialsid=7651 today. It seems MS has decided to push IE7 out as a "High Priority Update" via Windows Automatic Update when the browser is ready. I haven't tried the IE7 beta, but if I remember correctly, there have ...

  1. IE7 and Mozilla products

    Saw this http://redmondmag.com/news/article.a...torialsid=7651 today.
    It seems MS has decided to push IE7 out as a "High Priority Update"
    via Windows Automatic Update when the browser is ready.

    I haven't tried the IE7 beta, but if I remember correctly, there have
    been more than a couple of issues (with "regular users", not necessarily
    "regulars in this group") with FF and TB after IE7 has been installed.
    Again, if I remember correctly, it was things like IE7 "taking" status
    of default browser among other things. I just makes me wonder how many
    users will flood the mozilla groups when it's pushed out to their
    machines...

    On another note: If you're interested, MS is releasing a "blocking tool"
    that will block the installation of IE7 indefinitely. There's a link to
    the tool at the bottom of the article.

  2. Re: IE7 and Mozilla products

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    > Saw this http://redmondmag.com/news/article.a...torialsid=7651 today.
    > It seems MS has decided to push IE7 out as a "High Priority Update" via
    > Windows Automatic Update when the browser is ready.
    >
    > I haven't tried the IE7 beta, but if I remember correctly, there have
    > been more than a couple of issues (with "regular users", not necessarily
    > "regulars in this group") with FF and TB after IE7 has been installed.

    There is also something positive about this. IE7 will fix some CSS bugs
    IE6 has and thus break the outlook of many IE-only websites. Unless the
    webmasters use IE7-hacks to get over those issues. Fixing the issues
    might improve the support for Firefox also.

    Plus Microsoft will get bad press about breaking Firefox/Thunderbird
    with their updates.

  3. Re: IE7 and Mozilla products

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    > Saw this http://redmondmag.com/news/article.a...torialsid=7651 today.
    > It seems MS has decided to push IE7 out as a "High Priority Update" via
    > Windows Automatic Update when the browser is ready.
    >
    > I haven't tried the IE7 beta, but if I remember correctly, there have
    > been more than a couple of issues (with "regular users", not necessarily
    > "regulars in this group") with FF and TB after IE7 has been installed.
    > Again, if I remember correctly, it was things like IE7 "taking" status
    > of default browser among other things. I just makes me wonder how many
    > users will flood the mozilla groups when it's pushed out to their
    > machines...
    >
    > On another note: If you're interested, MS is releasing a "blocking tool"
    > that will block the installation of IE7 indefinitely. There's a link to
    > the tool at the bottom of the article.

    I doubt IE7 will be pushed to existing machines. However, I have the
    beta version installed on two computers here, and it coexists just fine
    with Firefox 1.5.0.4 and 1.5.0.5 and 2.0b1. What problems have you had,
    or heard of?

  4. Re: IE7 and Mozilla products

    Aggro wrote:
    > Ken Wagner wrote:
    >> Saw this http://redmondmag.com/news/article.a...torialsid=7651
    >> today. It seems MS has decided to push IE7 out as a "High Priority
    >> Update" via Windows Automatic Update when the browser is ready.
    >>
    >> I haven't tried the IE7 beta, but if I remember correctly, there have
    >> been more than a couple of issues (with "regular users", not
    >> necessarily "regulars in this group") with FF and TB after IE7 has
    >> been installed.

    > There is also something positive about this. IE7 will fix some CSS bugs
    > IE6 has and thus break the outlook of many IE-only websites. Unless the
    > webmasters use IE7-hacks to get over those issues. Fixing the issues
    > might improve the support for Firefox also.
    >
    > Plus Microsoft will get bad press about breaking Firefox/Thunderbird
    > with their updates.

    It should also decrease the number of sites using Active X, given the
    IE7 comes with it disabled, and recommends against its use. Now if they
    would just understand that my local machine and the internet are NOT the
    same, I might even use IE....

  5. Re: IE7 and Mozilla products

    _Ken Wagner_ spoke thusly on 31/07/2006 4:30 PM:
    > Saw this http://redmondmag.com/news/article.a...torialsid=7651 today.
    > It seems MS has decided to push IE7 out as a "High Priority Update" via
    > Windows Automatic Update when the browser is ready.

    Given the security improvements, it probably should be a high priority
    update.

    > I haven't tried the IE7 beta, but if I remember correctly, there have
    > been more than a couple of issues (with "regular users", not necessarily
    > "regulars in this group") with FF and TB after IE7 has been installed.
    > Again, if I remember correctly, it was things like IE7 "taking" status
    > of default browser among other things. I just makes me wonder how many
    > users will flood the mozilla groups when it's pushed out to their
    > machines...

    No, that only applied to OE users. In other words, with IE7 installed
    and Firefox set as the default, clicking on links in Thunderbird or
    other application launches Firefox. It is only when clicking on links in
    Outlook Express, that it doesn't seem to honour the default.
    Besides, as I understand it, that bug has been fixed.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  6. Firefox Tops 200 Million Downloads