Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help. - Mozilla ; Firefox 1.5.0.5 worked fine on one of my computers, but I had the same problem on the other one. The one that didn't work was running Firefox 1.5.0, which works fine with ZoneAlarm. With 1.5.0.5, FF can't find any servers. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    Firefox 1.5.0.5 worked fine on one of my computers, but I had
    the same problem on the other one.

    The one that didn't work was running Firefox 1.5.0, which works
    fine with ZoneAlarm. With
    1.5.0.5, FF can't find any servers. If I disable ZoneAlarm,
    1.5.0.5 works fine. For now, that computer
    is back on 1.5.0. (Both computers are running the latest free
    ZoneAlarm, 6.5.731.000. )

  2. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    bluejay wrote:
    > Firefox 1.5.0.5 worked fine on one of my computers, but I had the
    > same problem on the other one.
    >
    > The one that didn't work was running Firefox 1.5.0, which works fine
    > with ZoneAlarm. With
    > 1.5.0.5, FF can't find any servers. If I disable ZoneAlarm, 1.5.0.5
    > works fine. For now, that computer
    > is back on 1.5.0. (Both computers are running the latest free ZoneAlarm,
    > 6.5.731.000. )

    Tell Zone Alarm that 1.5.0.5 is fine.

    Now, where are all those folks that said ZA doesnt have a problem?

  3. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    On 7/29/2006 1:09 PM eastern, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Now, where are all those folks that said ZA doesnt have a problem?

    Here's one. I've used the freebie version for years and years (now at
    version 6.5.722 - haven't installed the latest, since I'm on a 45k
    dialup for two weeks). Only problem I *ever* had was when I first
    installed a router 4 or 5 years ago and *I* forgot to tell ZA about it.

    Whenever I install a new version of either FF or TB, ZA will alert
    (twice). Two clicks for each alert is all it takes.

    Have you ever used either the freebie or paid version, or are you just
    relating anecdotal tales?
    CTinME

  4. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 7/29/2006 1:09 PM eastern, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Now, where are all those folks that said ZA doesnt have a problem?

    > Here's one. I've used the freebie version for years and years (now at
    > version 6.5.722 - haven't installed the latest, since I'm on a 45k
    > dialup for two weeks). Only problem I *ever* had was when I first
    > installed a router 4 or 5 years ago and *I* forgot to tell ZA about it.
    >
    > Whenever I install a new version of either FF or TB, ZA will alert
    > (twice). Two clicks for each alert is all it takes.
    >
    > Have you ever used either the freebie or paid version, or are you just
    > relating anecdotal tales?
    > CTinME

    Well you said it doesnt have a problem! and yet here is ANOTHER person
    who is having a problem. Sheesh. YOU fix it then!

  5. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 7/29/2006 1:09 PM eastern, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Now, where are all those folks that said ZA doesnt have a problem?

    > Here's one. I've used the freebie version for years and years (now at
    > version 6.5.722 - haven't installed the latest, since I'm on a 45k
    > dialup for two weeks). Only problem I *ever* had was when I first
    > installed a router 4 or 5 years ago and *I* forgot to tell ZA about it.
    >
    > Whenever I install a new version of either FF or TB, ZA will alert
    > (twice). Two clicks for each alert is all it takes.
    >
    > Have you ever used either the freebie or paid version, or are you just
    > relating anecdotal tales?
    > CTinME

    Used ZA free version until it could not handle my DSL connection and
    blocked the connection *every* hour when the lease renewed (tried adding
    all the DSL servers to the trusted area and it still blocked the
    connection..GRR) ..switched to Sygate and have been using it now for 3
    yrs with *NO* problems.

    Btw, this is not an "anecdotal tale" I did use ZA and found it
    problematical, probably due to the fact that they kept updating it and
    adding everything but the kitchen sink to its "features".

    As Dan has said, you fix this fellows problem since it is obviously a ZA
    problem.

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

    .. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html

  6. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    bluejay wrote:
    > Firefox 1.5.0.5 worked fine on one of my computers, but I had
    > the same problem on the other one.
    >
    > The one that didn't work was running Firefox 1.5.0, which works
    > fine with ZoneAlarm. With
    > 1.5.0.5, FF can't find any servers. If I disable ZoneAlarm,
    > 1.5.0.5 works fine. For now, that computer
    > is back on 1.5.0. (Both computers are running the latest free
    > ZoneAlarm, 6.5.731.000. )

    find the FF entry in ZA and remove it. Now restart FF. Does it work now?

    --
    From the So You Think You Know Everything Department?:

    Did you know that the average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

  7. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    gwtc wrote:
    > bluejay wrote:
    >> Firefox 1.5.0.5 worked fine on one of my computers, but I had the
    >> same problem on the other one.
    >>
    >> The one that didn't work was running Firefox 1.5.0, which works
    >> fine with ZoneAlarm. With
    >> 1.5.0.5, FF can't find any servers. If I disable ZoneAlarm, 1.5.0.5
    >> works fine. For now, that computer
    >> is back on 1.5.0. (Both computers are running the latest free
    >> ZoneAlarm, 6.5.731.000. )

    > find the FF entry in ZA and remove it. Now restart FF. Does it work now?

    I did that. It didn't help. And what's odd, ZA didn't do the
    usual asking if FF
    could access the Internet.

    Also, after installing 1.5.0.5, ZA should have noticed that FF
    had been changed
    since the last time it ran, but didn't.

  8. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    On 7/29/2006 1:39 PM eastern, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Well you said it doesnt have a problem! and yet here is ANOTHER person
    > who is having a problem. Sheesh. YOU fix it then!

    You didn't answer my question, so I assume you've never used it,
    contrary to Brian, who used it 3 years ago, and chose not to continue
    with it.

    I said *I* didn't have a problem, NOT that *it* doesn't have a problem.

    Either you don't read so well, or are intentionally playing games. In
    other support newsgroups I've frequented, the champion equivalents could
    read, didn't play games, and never replied the way you just did. Time
    for a vacation from all the annoying folk posting here perhaps? Sheesh.

    Since I had no problem with either of the .5 versions and ZA, I'll be
    more than happy to try to help the person with the problem, as I'm sure
    other ZA users will, if the person posts what basic ZA settings are
    being used to get things started.
    CTinME

  9. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 7/29/2006 1:39 PM eastern, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Well you said it doesnt have a problem! and yet here is ANOTHER person
    >> who is having a problem. Sheesh. YOU fix it then!

    > You didn't answer my question, so I assume you've never used it,
    > contrary to Brian, who used it 3 years ago, and chose not to continue
    > with it.
    >
    > I said *I* didn't have a problem, NOT that *it* doesn't have a problem.
    >
    > Either you don't read so well, or are intentionally playing games. In
    > other support newsgroups I've frequented, the champion equivalents could
    > read, didn't play games, and never replied the way you just did. Time
    > for a vacation from all the annoying folk posting here perhaps? Sheesh.
    >
    > Since I had no problem with either of the .5 versions and ZA, I'll be
    > more than happy to try to help the person with the problem, as I'm sure
    > other ZA users will, if the person posts what basic ZA settings are
    > being used to get things started.
    > CTinME

    just because you don't have problems doesn't mean others don't. You
    haven't been in these newsgroups long enough to see that others with
    ZA have reported problems using it. For some, ZA doesn't recognize
    the upgrade and/or update of FF

    --
    From the So You Think You Know Everything Department?:

    Did you know that the average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

  10. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    On 7/29/2006 4:02 PM eastern, gwtc wrote:

    > just because you don't have problems doesn't mean others don't. You
    > haven't been in these newsgroups long enough to see that others with
    > ZA have reported problems using it. For some, ZA doesn't recognize
    > the upgrade and/or update of FF

    Fair enough. However, I've never heard of a decently complex piece of
    software that some percentage of folk didn't have problems with. To me,
    the important thing is trying to determine WHY they're having problems;
    the software, user settings, os problems, etc., whether there are
    workarounds, etc. To that end, the fact that some users are not having
    problems is important, and the main motivation for my first reply in
    this thread.
    CTinME

  11. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 7/29/2006 1:39 PM eastern, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Well you said it doesnt have a problem! and yet here is ANOTHER person
    >> who is having a problem. Sheesh. YOU fix it then!

    > You didn't answer my question, so I assume you've never used it,
    > contrary to Brian, who used it 3 years ago, and chose not to continue
    > with it.
    >
    > I said *I* didn't have a problem, NOT that *it* doesn't have a problem.
    >
    > Either you don't read so well, or are intentionally playing games. In
    > other support newsgroups I've frequented, the champion equivalents could
    > read, didn't play games, and never replied the way you just did. Time
    > for a vacation from all the annoying folk posting here perhaps? Sheesh.
    >
    > Since I had no problem with either of the .5 versions and ZA, I'll be
    > more than happy to try to help the person with the problem, as I'm sure
    > other ZA users will, if the person posts what basic ZA settings are
    > being used to get things started.
    > CTinME

    I'm sick and tired of being questioned for everything I do. There have
    been at least 6 people in here of late who had problems with the update
    because their Zone Alarm was blocking it. I said as much.
    Then you come along and because you didnt have a problem, question my
    statement that ZA has been known to cause problems.

    If you are so convinced that ZA is not the problem then YOU get off your
    lazy butt and help this guy out then! He IS having a problem with his ZA!

    But no, you are more concerned with questioning me. YES I have used ZA
    in the past! And YES I got rid of it because it had some stability
    problems then! But I didnt call the program down NOW because of that, I
    mentioned it was having problems with the update for several people.

    So, shut up or put up. I'm pretty much sick and tired of yahoos like you
    who question everything I do - even when it DOES fix the OPs problem -
    when you have NOTHING better to offer the OP at all!

    I'm out of here

  12. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    On 7/29/2006 4:33 PM eastern, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > I'm sick and tired of being questioned for everything I do.

    Excellent reason to take a rest as I suggested.

    > There have been at least 6 people in here of late who had problems
    > with the update because their Zone Alarm was blocking it. I said as
    > much.

    Not in this thread. In this thread, you couldn't even wait for bluejay
    to try your suggestion and reply before mouthing off, then mouthing off
    at me.

    > Then you come along and because you didnt have a problem, question my
    > statement that ZA has been known to cause problems.

    Care to show me precisely where I said that ZA has not been known to
    cause problems?

    > If you are so convinced that ZA is not the problem then YOU get off your
    > lazy butt and help this guy out then! He IS having a problem with his ZA!

    Care to show me precisely where I said that? Also, looks like you didn't
    bother to read my reply to gwtc before mouthing off again.

    > But no, you are more concerned with questioning me. YES I have used ZA
    > in the past! And YES I got rid of it because it had some stability
    > problems then! But I didnt call the program down NOW because of that, I
    > mentioned it was having problems with the update for several people.
    >
    > So, shut up or put up. I'm pretty much sick and tired of yahoos like you
    > who question everything I do - even when it DOES fix the OPs problem -
    > when you have NOTHING better to offer the OP at all!
    >

    > I'm out of here

    Bye.

    CTinME

  13. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 7/29/2006 1:09 PM eastern, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Now, where are all those folks that said ZA doesnt have a problem?

    > Here's one. I've used the freebie version for years and years (now at
    > version 6.5.722 - haven't installed the latest, since I'm on a 45k
    > dialup for two weeks). Only problem I *ever* had was when I first
    > installed a router 4 or 5 years ago and *I* forgot to tell ZA about it.
    >
    > Whenever I install a new version of either FF or TB, ZA will alert
    > (twice). Two clicks for each alert is all it takes.
    >
    > Have you ever used either the freebie or paid version, or are you just
    > relating anecdotal tales?
    > CTinME

    NO, he is referring to the message he replied to. A person who had ZA
    problems, with one of the two computers he uses the SAME version of ZAF
    on.

  14. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Cal Tinson wrote:
    >> On 7/29/2006 1:39 PM eastern, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well you said it doesnt have a problem! and yet here is ANOTHER
    >>> person who is having a problem. Sheesh. YOU fix it then!

    >> You didn't answer my question, so I assume you've never used it,
    >> contrary to Brian, who used it 3 years ago, and chose not to continue
    >> with it.
    >>
    >> I said *I* didn't have a problem, NOT that *it* doesn't have a problem.
    >>
    >> Either you don't read so well, or are intentionally playing games. In
    >> other support newsgroups I've frequented, the champion equivalents could
    >> read, didn't play games, and never replied the way you just did. Time
    >> for a vacation from all the annoying folk posting here perhaps? Sheesh.
    >>
    >> Since I had no problem with either of the .5 versions and ZA, I'll be
    >> more than happy to try to help the person with the problem, as I'm sure
    >> other ZA users will, if the person posts what basic ZA settings are
    >> being used to get things started.
    >> CTinME

    > I'm sick and tired of being questioned for everything I do. There have
    > been at least 6 people in here of late who had problems with the update
    > because their Zone Alarm was blocking it. I said as much.
    > Then you come along and because you didnt have a problem, question my
    > statement that ZA has been known to cause problems.
    >
    > If you are so convinced that ZA is not the problem then YOU get off your
    > lazy butt and help this guy out then! He IS having a problem with his ZA!
    >
    > But no, you are more concerned with questioning me. YES I have used ZA
    > in the past! And YES I got rid of it because it had some stability
    > problems then! But I didnt call the program down NOW because of that, I
    > mentioned it was having problems with the update for several people.
    >
    > So, shut up or put up. I'm pretty much sick and tired of yahoos like you
    > who question everything I do - even when it DOES fix the OPs problem -
    > when you have NOTHING better to offer the OP at all!
    >

    > I'm out of here

    I also used ZA some time ago, but ditched it because it was using too
    much of my slow machine's resources, and was a bitch to disable for
    testing. While the difficulty of disabling it could be seen as an
    advantage, the heavy demands it made on my slow machine's resources
    couldn't be excused so easily. I switched to Outpost Firewall, and have
    never been happier with a piece of software.

  15. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    On 7/29/2006 8:35 PM eastern, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > I also used ZA some time ago, but ditched it because it was using too
    > much of my slow machine's resources, and was a bitch to disable for
    > testing. While the difficulty of disabling it could be seen as an
    > advantage, the heavy demands it made on my slow machine's resources
    > couldn't be excused so easily. (snip)

    That would be annoying. The difficulty of disabling problem is no longer
    there. I just checked, and it's now a 3 clicker (ignoring XP SP2, which
    immediately starts complaining ).
    CTinME

  16. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > bluejay wrote:
    >> Firefox 1.5.0.5 worked fine on one of my computers, but I had the
    >> same problem on the other one.
    >>
    >> The one that didn't work was running Firefox 1.5.0, which works
    >> fine with ZoneAlarm. With
    >> 1.5.0.5, FF can't find any servers. If I disable ZoneAlarm, 1.5.0.5
    >> works fine. For now, that computer
    >> is back on 1.5.0. (Both computers are running the latest free
    >> ZoneAlarm, 6.5.731.000. )

    > Tell Zone Alarm that 1.5.0.5 is fine.
    >

    > Now, where are all those folks that said ZA doesnt have a problem?

    Here I am Dan. It's not a problem with ZA but the way in which the user
    has set it up - usually by turning off the alarms and messages.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  17. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Cal Tinson wrote:
    >> On 7/29/2006 1:39 PM eastern, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well you said it doesnt have a problem! and yet here is ANOTHER
    >>> person who is having a problem. Sheesh. YOU fix it then!

    >> You didn't answer my question, so I assume you've never used it,
    >> contrary to Brian, who used it 3 years ago, and chose not to continue
    >> with it.
    >>
    >> I said *I* didn't have a problem, NOT that *it* doesn't have a problem.
    >>
    >> Either you don't read so well, or are intentionally playing games. In
    >> other support newsgroups I've frequented, the champion equivalents could
    >> read, didn't play games, and never replied the way you just did. Time
    >> for a vacation from all the annoying folk posting here perhaps? Sheesh.
    >>
    >> Since I had no problem with either of the .5 versions and ZA, I'll be
    >> more than happy to try to help the person with the problem, as I'm sure
    >> other ZA users will, if the person posts what basic ZA settings are
    >> being used to get things started.
    >> CTinME

    > I'm sick and tired of being questioned for everything I do. There have
    > been at least 6 people in here of late who had problems with the update
    > because their Zone Alarm was blocking it. I said as much.
    > Then you come along and because you didnt have a problem, question my
    > statement that ZA has been known to cause problems.
    >
    > If you are so convinced that ZA is not the problem then YOU get off your
    > lazy butt and help this guy out then! He IS having a problem with his ZA!
    >
    > But no, you are more concerned with questioning me. YES I have used ZA
    > in the past! And YES I got rid of it because it had some stability
    > problems then! But I didnt call the program down NOW because of that, I
    > mentioned it was having problems with the update for several people.
    >
    > So, shut up or put up. I'm pretty much sick and tired of yahoos like you
    > who question everything I do - even when it DOES fix the OPs problem -
    > when you have NOTHING better to offer the OP at all!
    >

    > I'm out of here

    Whoa, slow down Dan, you're a knowledgeable and important member of this
    group. You made the point yourself here though; "He IS having a problem
    with his ZA" - the important bit is the first word. I've used every
    flavour of ZA (from the freebie through Pro and now Internet Suite) for
    a long time on many computers and have installed it and set it up for
    others too.

    All of these experiences have shown me that ZA is a good firewall but
    it's not perfect. One thing it has never failed to do for me or the
    others that I provide support for is to recognise a new upgrade of an
    application. It then does whatever the user sets it up to do i.e. allow
    that app to access the internet regardless (not recommended) or block it
    and ask the user for permission. The problem that I believe most posters
    here suffer from is that they have at some time turned off ZA's
    alarm/message system so they don't get asked for the permission and FF
    appears to have simply failed.

    This is not a "fault" with ZA .. it's a user issue :-)

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  18. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 7/29/2006 4:33 PM eastern, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sick and tired of being questioned for everything I do.

    > Excellent reason to take a rest as I suggested.
    >
    >> There have been at least 6 people in here of late who had problems
    >> with the update because their Zone Alarm was blocking it. I said as
    >> much.

    > Not in this thread. In this thread, you couldn't even wait for bluejay
    > to try your suggestion and reply before mouthing off, then mouthing off
    > at me.
    >
    >> Then you come along and because you didnt have a problem, question my
    >> statement that ZA has been known to cause problems.

    > Care to show me precisely where I said that ZA has not been known to
    > cause problems?
    >
    >> If you are so convinced that ZA is not the problem then YOU get off your
    >> lazy butt and help this guy out then! He IS having a problem with his ZA!

    > Care to show me precisely where I said that? Also, looks like you didn't
    > bother to read my reply to gwtc before mouthing off again.
    >> But no, you are more concerned with questioning me. YES I have used ZA
    >> in the past! And YES I got rid of it because it had some stability
    >> problems then! But I didnt call the program down NOW because of that, I
    >> mentioned it was having problems with the update for several people.
    >>
    >> So, shut up or put up. I'm pretty much sick and tired of yahoos like you
    >> who question everything I do - even when it DOES fix the OPs problem -
    >> when you have NOTHING better to offer the OP at all!
    >>

    >> I'm out of here

    > Bye.
    >
    > CTinME

    Cal, I think you're being rather unfair to Dan here. He is a
    knowledgeable and experienced computer user who's input to the group is
    valued and trusted by many of us.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  19. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    On 7/30/2006 7:35 AM eastern, SteveG wrote:

    > Cal, I think you're being rather unfair to Dan here. He is a
    > knowledgeable and experienced computer user who's input to the group is
    > valued and trusted by many of us.

    Perhaps, Steve - but IMO he started it and escalated it, and I'll stand
    by what I said about champion equivalents in other support newsgroups.
    CTinME

  20. Re: Firefox stopped dead -- Help.

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Then you come along and because you didnt have a problem, question my
    > statement that ZA has been known to cause problems.

    You asked in Message-ID:

    "Now, where are all those folks that said ZA doesnt have a problem?"

    Cal replied to that.

    --
    A. No.
    Q. Does top-posting make sense?