How to associate actions with file types in Solaris Firefox 1.5? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to associate actions with file types in Solaris Firefox 1.5? - Mozilla ; In Windows environment the file type association happens "automagically", however in Solaris, it is not clear to me how to make this associations manually. So, in MS Windows, in "Download Actions" there is a list of actions with associated file ...

  1. How to associate actions with file types in Solaris Firefox 1.5?

    In Windows environment the file type association happens "automagically",
    however in Solaris, it is not clear to me how to make this associations
    manually. So, in MS Windows, in "Download Actions" there is a list of
    actions with associated file type (extentions) with a corresponding
    application. In Solaris this list is empty.

    Thanks,
    Wes

  2. Re: How to associate actions with file types in Solaris Firefox 1.5?

    Braczkowski, Wes [CAR:5K35:EXCH] wrote:
    > In Windows environment the file type association happens "automagically",
    > however in Solaris, it is not clear to me how to make this associations
    > manually. So, in MS Windows, in "Download Actions" there is a list of
    > actions with associated file type (extentions) with a corresponding
    > application. In Solaris this list is empty.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wes

    You dont enter them, the program does it for you.

    IF and when you encounter a file that Firefox doesnt know what to do
    with (not claimed by a plug in, no listing in Helper Applications)
    Firefox will put up a dialogue asking you what to do with the file.
    Within that dialogue is a check box X Do this for files of this type
    from now on [sic]. Check that box and Firefox will make the entry for
    you in Helper Applications, automagically.

    the list of Helper Applications is found here

    [Edit-->Preferences]*-->Downloads

    *varies by OS
    Windows
    [Tools-->Options]
    Mac
    [Firefox-->Preferences]
    Linux as above

  3. Re: How to associate actions with file types in Solaris Firefox 1.5?

    The issue is that the dialog box has "Open with" grayed out, and only "Save
    to Disk" option is selected, so there is no option to enter what application
    should open the file. This is JWS application. In older Mozilla browser
    there was an option to enter this information manually, on what application
    should be called to deal with the downloaded file.

    Thanks,
    Wes

    "Moz Champion (Dan)" wrote in message
    > Braczkowski, Wes [CAR:5K35:EXCH] wrote:
    > > In Windows environment the file type association happens

    "automagically",
    > > however in Solaris, it is not clear to me how to make this associations
    > > manually. So, in MS Windows, in "Download Actions" there is a list of
    > > actions with associated file type (extentions) with a corresponding
    > > application. In Solaris this list is empty.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Wes
    > >

    > You dont enter them, the program does it for you.
    >
    > IF and when you encounter a file that Firefox doesnt know what to do
    > with (not claimed by a plug in, no listing in Helper Applications)
    > Firefox will put up a dialogue asking you what to do with the file.
    > Within that dialogue is a check box X Do this for files of this type
    > from now on [sic]. Check that box and Firefox will make the entry for
    > you in Helper Applications, automagically.
    >
    > the list of Helper Applications is found here
    >
    > [Edit-->Preferences]*-->Downloads
    >

    > *varies by OS
    > Windows
    > [Tools-->Options]
    > Mac
    > [Firefox-->Preferences]
    > Linux as above

  4. Re: How to associate actions with file types in Solaris Firefox 1.5?

    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:33:59 -0400, Braczkowski, Wes [CAR:5K35:EXCH] wrote:

    Top posting corrected.

    > "Moz Champion (Dan)" wrote in message
    >> Braczkowski, Wes [CAR:5K35:EXCH] wrote:
    >>> In Windows environment the file type association happens

    > "automagically",
    >>> however in Solaris, it is not clear to me how to make this associations
    >>> manually. So, in MS Windows, in "Download Actions" there is a list of
    >>> actions with associated file type (extentions) with a corresponding
    >>> application. In Solaris this list is empty.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Wes
    >>>

    >> You dont enter them, the program does it for you.
    >>
    >> IF and when you encounter a file that Firefox doesnt know what to do
    >> with (not claimed by a plug in, no listing in Helper Applications)
    >> Firefox will put up a dialogue asking you what to do with the file.
    >> Within that dialogue is a check box X Do this for files of this type
    >> from now on [sic]. Check that box and Firefox will make the entry for
    >> you in Helper Applications, automagically.
    >>
    >> the list of Helper Applications is found here
    >>
    >> [Edit-->Preferences]*-->Downloads
    >>

    >> *varies by OS
    >> Windows
    >> [Tools-->Options]
    >> Mac
    >> [Firefox-->Preferences]
    >> Linux as above

    > The issue is that the dialog box has "Open with" grayed out, and only "Save
    > to Disk" option is selected, so there is no option to enter what application
    > should open the file. This is JWS application. In older Mozilla browser
    > there was an option to enter this information manually, on what application
    > should be called to deal with the downloaded file.

    > Thanks,
    > Wes

    Does this happen on all unassociated file types or from all servers? This
    sounds to me like a mis-configured server sending as the generic mime type
    Application/octet stream, which will always have "Open with" grayed out.
    --
    tb

  5. Re: How to associate actions with file types in Solaris Firefox 1.5?

    teabag wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:33:59 -0400, Braczkowski, Wes [CAR:5K35:EXCH] wrote:
    >
    > Top posting corrected.
    >
    >> "Moz Champion (Dan)" wrote in message

    >> "automagically",

    >>> You dont enter them, the program does it for you.
    >>>
    >>> IF and when you encounter a file that Firefox doesnt know what to do
    >>> with (not claimed by a plug in, no listing in Helper Applications)
    >>> Firefox will put up a dialogue asking you what to do with the file.
    >>> Within that dialogue is a check box X Do this for files of this type
    >>> from now on [sic]. Check that box and Firefox will make the entry for
    >>> you in Helper Applications, automagically.
    >>>
    >>> the list of Helper Applications is found here
    >>>
    >>> [Edit-->Preferences]*-->Downloads
    >>>

    >>> *varies by OS
    >>> Windows
    >>> [Tools-->Options]
    >>> Mac
    >>> [Firefox-->Preferences]
    >>> Linux as above

    >> The issue is that the dialog box has "Open with" grayed out, and only "Save
    >> to Disk" option is selected, so there is no option to enter what application
    >> should open the file. This is JWS application. In older Mozilla browser
    >> there was an option to enter this information manually, on what application
    >> should be called to deal with the downloaded file.

    >> Thanks,
    >> Wes

    > Does this happen on all unassociated file types or from all servers? This
    > sounds to me like a mis-configured server sending as the generic mime type
    > Application/octet stream, which will always have "Open with" grayed out.

    Yes, can we have the url of the file you are experiencing problems with
    so we can check it out? Please

  6. Re: How to associate actions with file types in Solaris Firefox 1.5?

    I have tried Mozilla 1.7.13 on Solaris and it worked fine, I was able to
    enter the "Open with" field, and worked as expected. Any ideas why there
    is such a difference between Firefox and Mozilla?
    This would pretty much exclude any external issue to the Firefox browser, I
    think.

    wrote:

    > > Top posting corrected.
    > >
    > >> "Moz Champion (Dan)" wrote in message
    > >> "automagically",

    associations

    of

    > >> The issue is that the dialog box has "Open with" grayed out, and only

    "Save
    > >> to Disk" option is selected, so there is no option to enter what

    application
    > >> should open the file. This is JWS application. In older Mozilla

    browser
    > >> there was an option to enter this information manually, on what

    application
    > >> should be called to deal with the downloaded file.

    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Wes

    > > Does this happen on all unassociated file types or from all servers?

    This
    > > sounds to me like a mis-configured server sending as the generic mime

    type
    > > Application/octet stream, which will always have "Open with" grayed out.

    > Yes, can we have the url of the file you are experiencing problems with
    > so we can check it out? Please

  7. Re: How to associate actions with file types in Solaris Firefox 1.5?

    Braczkowski, Wes [CAR:5K35:EXCH] wrote:
    > I have tried Mozilla 1.7.13 on Solaris and it worked fine, I was able to
    > enter the "Open with" field, and worked as expected. Any ideas why there
    > is such a difference between Firefox and Mozilla?
    > This would pretty much exclude any external issue to the Firefox browser, I
    > think.
    >
    > "Moz Champion (Dan)" wrote in message
    >> teabag wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:33:59 -0400, Braczkowski, Wes [CAR:5K35:EXCH]

    > wrote:
    >>> Top posting corrected.

    > associations

    > of

    > "Save

    > application

    > browser

    > application
    >>> Does this happen on all unassociated file types or from all servers?

    > This
    >>> sounds to me like a mis-configured server sending as the generic mime

    > type
    >>> Application/octet stream, which will always have "Open with" grayed out.

    >> Yes, can we have the url of the file you are experiencing problems with
    >> so we can check it out? Please

    Please bottom post (or intersperse) in these newsgroups if you will.
    That is, quote previous message (or portions thereof) then write your
    reply such as I have done. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

    Did you try Mozilla suite 1.7.13 on the exact SAME file, same url and all?

    If your Mozilla suite was new, then it wouldnt have any helper
    applications listed. The issue with your Firefox may indicate that you
    already have a previous helper application for the type of file in
    question, did you check that?

    Again, tho, the specific file in question is important, got a url?

  8. Re: How to associate actions with file types in Solaris Firefox 1.5?

    > Braczkowski, Wes [CAR:5K35:EXCH] wrote:
    > > I have tried Mozilla 1.7.13 on Solaris and it worked fine, I was able to
    > > enter the "Open with" field, and worked as expected. Any ideas why

    there
    > > is such a difference between Firefox and Mozilla?
    > > This would pretty much exclude any external issue to the Firefox

    browser, I
    > > think.
    > >
    > > "Moz Champion (Dan)" wrote in message

    > > associations

    list
    > > of

    type

    for

    > > "Save

    > > application

    > > browser

    > > application

    > > This

    > > type

    out.

    > >> Yes, can we have the url of the file you are experiencing problems with
    > >> so we can check it out? Please

    > Please bottom post (or intersperse) in these newsgroups if you will.
    > That is, quote previous message (or portions thereof) then write your
    > reply such as I have done. Thank you for your consideration in this

    matter.

    > Did you try Mozilla suite 1.7.13 on the exact SAME file, same url and all?
    >
    > If your Mozilla suite was new, then it wouldnt have any helper
    > applications listed. The issue with your Firefox may indicate that you
    > already have a previous helper application for the type of file in
    > question, did you check that?
    >
    > Again, tho, the specific file in question is important, got a url?

    Good point! I have created a new user with its home directory and the
    problem has disapeared. I was using root user to run Firefox, and this is
    when I have observed this issue. I do not have a need to run it as root, so
    for me the problem is solved.

+ Reply to Thread