How do I load URL in background without using window and displaying it to user - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How do I load URL in background without using window and displaying it to user - Mozilla ; I am writing firefox extension. I would like to load URL in background without displaying it to user for background processing. During the background processing I would like to muck around with the DOM tree of the loaded HTML document. ...

  1. How do I load URL in background without using window and displaying it to user

    I am writing firefox extension. I would like to load URL in background
    without displaying it to user for background processing. During the
    background processing I would like to muck around with the DOM tree of
    the loaded HTML document. Again all this should be invisible to the
    user. I see that there is something like hiddenDOMWindow but I can't
    figure how to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Rajiv

  2. Re: How do I load URL in background without using window and displayingit to user

    rdulepet@gmail.com wrote:

    > I am writing firefox extension. I would like to load URL in background
    > without displaying it to user for background processing. During the
    > background processing I would like to muck around with the DOM tree of
    > the loaded HTML document. Again all this should be invisible to the
    > user. I see that there is something like hiddenDOMWindow but I can't
    > figure how to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Rajiv

    And this is not malware???

  3. Re: How do I load URL in background without using window and displayingit to user

    rdulepet@gmail.com wrote, on 7/7/2006 5:28 AM:
    > I am writing firefox extension. I would like to load URL in background
    > without displaying it to user for background processing. During the
    > background processing I would like to muck around with the DOM tree of
    > the loaded HTML document. Again all this should be invisible to the
    > user. I see that there is something like hiddenDOMWindow but I can't
    > figure how to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    For obvious security reasons, I sincerely hope that it's impossible to
    do what you want to - no matter how benign your reason may be.

  4. Re: How do I load URL in background without using window and displayingit to user

    _rdulepet@gmail.com_ spoke thusly on 07/07/2006 6:28 AM:
    > I am writing firefox extension. I would like to load URL in background
    > without displaying it to user for background processing. During the
    > background processing I would like to muck around with the DOM tree of
    > the loaded HTML document. Again all this should be invisible to the
    > user. I see that there is something like hiddenDOMWindow but I can't
    > figure how to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Try asking in mozilla.dev.extensions.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  5. Re: How do I load URL in background without using window and displaying it to user

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    > rdulepet@gmail.com wrote, on 7/7/2006 5:28 AM:
    > > I am writing firefox extension. I would like to load URL in background
    > > without displaying it to user for background processing. During the
    > > background processing I would like to muck around with the DOM tree of
    > > the loaded HTML document. Again all this should be invisible to the
    > > user. I see that there is something like hiddenDOMWindow but I can't
    > > figure how to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    > For obvious security reasons, I sincerely hope that it's impossible to
    > do what you want to - no matter how benign your reason may be.

    I think you are completely misunderstanding. The user is aware that
    certain URL is being loaded but is not necessarily interested in
    viewing it since it involves viewing DIFF between two pages in
    background, and only DIFF is shown.

+ Reply to Thread