Sidebars - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Sidebars - Mozilla ; Is it possible to move sidebars to the right of the screen, and if not, are there strong/good technical reasons why it isn't possible? -- Herbert Eppel www.HETranslation.co.uk...

  1. Sidebars

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  2. Re: Sidebars

    Herb wrote:
    > Is it possible to move sidebars to the right of the screen, and if not,
    > are there strong/good technical reasons why it isn't possible?

    put the following script into your userchrome.css file:

    /* Place the sidebar on the right edge of the window */

    window > hbox {
    direction:rtl;
    }
    window > hbox > * {
    direction:ltr;
    }

    --
    Murphy's Laws of Computing: He who laughs last probably made a back-up.

  3. Re: Sidebars

    Herb wrote:

    > Is it possible to move sidebars to the right of the screen, and if not,
    > are there strong/good technical reasons why it isn't possible?

    Straightforward, once you find out how ;-/

    [from http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips]

    Put the following code in the userChrome.css file in the chrome folder under
    your profile:

    /* Place the sidebar on the right edge of the window */
    window > hbox {
    direction:rtl;
    }
    window > hbox > * {
    direction:ltr;
    }

    HTH

    Rob.

  4. Re: Sidebars

    On 30.06.2006 08:20 UK Time, Rob wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to move sidebars to the right of the screen, and if not,
    >> are there strong/good technical reasons why it isn't possible?
    >>

    > Straightforward, once you find out how ;-/
    >
    > [from http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips]
    >
    > Put the following code in the userChrome.css file in the chrome folder under
    > your profile:
    >
    > /* Place the sidebar on the right edge of the window */
    > window > hbox {
    > direction:rtl;
    > }
    > window > hbox > * {
    > direction:ltr;
    > }
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Rob.

    Splendid, thank you and also to gwtc.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  5. Re: Sidebars

    On 30.06.2006 08:20 UK Time, Rob wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to move sidebars to the right of the screen, and if not,
    >> are there strong/good technical reasons why it isn't possible?
    >>

    > Straightforward, once you find out how ;-/
    >
    > [from http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips]
    >
    > Put the following code in the userChrome.css file in the chrome folder under
    > your profile:
    >
    > /* Place the sidebar on the right edge of the window */
    > window > hbox {
    > direction:rtl;
    > }
    > window > hbox > * {
    > direction:ltr;
    > }

    I just tried this (better late than never :-) ), but it doesn't work,
    i.e. the sidebar is still on the left when I restart FF.

    Any suggestions?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  6. Re: Sidebars

    On 08.04.2008 09:36 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > On 30.06.2006 08:20 UK Time, Rob wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to move sidebars to the right of the screen, and if not,
    >>> are there strong/good technical reasons why it isn't possible?
    >>>

    >> Straightforward, once you find out how ;-/
    >>
    >> [from http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips]
    >>
    >> Put the following code in the userChrome.css file in the chrome folder
    >> under
    >> your profile:
    >>
    >> /* Place the sidebar on the right edge of the window */
    >> window > hbox {
    >> direction:rtl;
    >> }
    >> window > hbox > * {
    >> direction:ltr;
    >> }

    > I just tried this (better late than never :-) ), but it doesn't work,
    > i.e. the sidebar is still on the left when I restart FF.

    Any ideas?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  7. Re: Sidebars

    "Herb" wrote in message
    news:LpWdne21G9dSyWHanZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 08.04.2008 09:36 UK Time, Herb wrote:

    >>> Straightforward, once you find out how ;-/
    >>>
    >>> [from http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips]
    >>>
    >>> Put the following code in the userChrome.css file in the chrome folder
    >>> under
    >>> your profile:
    >>>
    >>> /* Place the sidebar on the right edge of the window */
    >>> window > hbox {
    >>> direction:rtl;
    >>> }
    >>> window > hbox > * {
    >>> direction:ltr;
    >>> }

    >> I just tried this (better late than never :-) ), but it doesn't work,
    >> i.e. the sidebar is still on the left when I restart FF.

    > Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Herbert Eppel
    > www.HETranslation.co.uk

    window > hbox {
    >>> direction:rtl!important;
    >>> }
    >>> window > hbox > * {
    >>> direction:ltr!important;
    >>> }

  8. Re: Sidebars

    "Sonny" wrote in message
    news:TYidnVywQ75c_mHanZ2dnUVZ_uSgnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    > "Herb" wrote in message
    > news:LpWdne21G9dSyWHanZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> I just tried this (better late than never :-) ), but it doesn't work,
    >>> i.e. the sidebar is still on the left when I restart FF.

    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Herbert Eppel
    >> www.HETranslation.co.uk

    > window > hbox {

    also if you know the width of your sidebar, use this to auto hide it:
    window > hbox {
    direction: rtl !important;
    }
    window > hbox > * {
    direction: ltr !important;
    }
    #sidebar-box {
    margin-right: -197px !important;
    }
    #sidebar-box:hover {
    margin-right: 0px !important;
    }
    Replace the -197px with the width of your sidebar minus one as a negative
    number. ie, my sidebar width is 198px, hence the -197px for margin-right.

  9. Re: Sidebars

    On 09.04.2008 07:35 UK Time, Sonny wrote:
    > "Herb" wrote in message
    > news:LpWdne21G9dSyWHanZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> I just tried this (better late than never :-) ), but it doesn't work,
    >>> i.e. the sidebar is still on the left when I restart FF.

    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Herbert Eppel
    >> www.HETranslation.co.uk

    > window > hbox {

    I added !important as your reply seems to suggest (the quoting got a
    little muddled for some reason, but it still doesn't work :-(

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  10. Re: Sidebars

    "Herb" wrote in message
    > On 09.04.2008 07:35 UK Time, Sonny wrote:
    >> "Herb" wrote in message
    >> news:LpWdne21G9dSyWHanZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Herbert Eppel
    >>> www.HETranslation.co.uk

    >> window > hbox {

    > I added !important as your reply seems to suggest (the quoting got a
    > little muddled for some reason, but it still doesn't work :-(
    >
    > --
    > Herbert Eppel
    > www.HETranslation.co.uk

    Try this:
    #browser {
    -moz-box-direction: reverse !important;
    }

  11. Re: Sidebars

    On 09.04.2008 08:50, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Herb to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 09.04.2008 07:35 UK Time, Sonny wrote:
    >
    >> "Herb" wrote in message
    >> news:LpWdne21G9dSyWHanZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Herbert Eppel
    >>> www.HETranslation.co.uk
    >>>

    >> window > hbox {

    > I added !important as your reply seems to suggest (the quoting got a
    > little muddled for some reason, but it still doesn't work :-(

    I think that there's a SPACE missing !

    reg

  12. Re: Sidebars

    On 09.04.2008 09:35 UK Time, squaredancer wrote:

    > I think that there's a SPACE missing !

    Where?

    Does it work for you?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  13. Re: Sidebars

    On 09.04.2008 08:15 UK Time, Sonny wrote:

    > Try this:
    > #browser {
    > -moz-box-direction: reverse !important;
    > }

    Success! 8-)

    Thank you.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  14. Re: Sidebars

    On 09.04.2008 13:09 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 09-04-2008 12:25 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:
    >> On 09.04.2008 08:15 UK Time, Sonny wrote:
    >>> Try this:
    >>> #browser {
    >>> -moz-box-direction: reverse !important;
    >>> }

    >> Success! 8-)
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>

    > Herb, could you show us the final set of statements that you've added to
    > 'userChrome.css' for this feature, please?

    #browser {
    -moz-box-direction: reverse !important;
    }

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  15. Re: Sidebars

    On 09-04-2008 14:35 CET, Herb composed this enchanting statement:
    > On 09.04.2008 13:09 UK Time, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>> Success! 8-)
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.
    >>>

    >> Herb, could you show us the final set of statements that you've added
    >> to 'userChrome.css' for this feature, please?

    > #browser {
    > -moz-box-direction: reverse !important;
    > }

    Thanks. It works for me, as well.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  16. Re: Sidebars

    "Herb" wrote in message
    > On 09.04.2008 09:35 UK Time, squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> I think that there's a SPACE missing !

    > Where?
    >
    > Does it work for you?
    >
    > --
    > Herbert Eppel
    > www.HETranslation.co.uk

    Herb,
    If you wish to Auto Hide the sidebar to the right, you can use this:
    #sidebar-box {
    margin-right: -202px !important;
    }
    #sidebar-box:hover {
    margin-right: 0px !important;
    }
    #sidebar-splitter {
    border: none !important;
    margin-right: -4px !important;
    }
    My sidebar in width is 203px, hence the -202px for margin-right. Replace
    the -202px with the width of your sidebar minus one as a negative number. A
    larger negative number moves sidebar to the right while less negative moves
    it left.

    Sonny

  17. Re: Sidebars

    On 09.04.2008 11:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Herb to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 09.04.2008 09:35 UK Time, squaredancer wrote:
    >

    >> I think that there's a SPACE missing !
    >>

    > Where?
    >
    > Does it work for you?

    direction:rtl!important;

    here, I think^ before the exclamation mark! It should read as:
    direction:rtl !important;

    reg

    ps - I haven't tried that yet...

  18. Re: Sidebars

    On 09.04.2008 20:22 UK Time, squaredancer wrote:

    > direction:rtl!important;
    >
    > here, I think^ before the exclamation mark! It should read as:
    > direction:rtl !important;
    >
    > reg
    >
    > ps - I haven't tried that yet...

    Thanks, I had tried that, but it still didn't work.

    Anyway, it works with

    #browser {
    -moz-box-direction: reverse !important;
    }

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  19. Re: Sidebars

    On 09.04.2008 17:17 UK Time, Sonny wrote:
    > "Herb" wrote in message
    >> On 09.04.2008 09:35 UK Time, squaredancer wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think that there's a SPACE missing !

    >> Where?
    >>
    >> Does it work for you?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Herbert Eppel
    >> www.HETranslation.co.uk

    > Herb,
    > If you wish to Auto Hide the sidebar to the right, you can use this:

    Thanks for this, but I'm generally not too keen on auto-hide features.

    I have a fairly large screen and I'm quite happy for the sidebar to sit
    on the right edge permanently.

    The reason I don't want it on the left is that I use 2 monitors (with
    the secondary monitor on the left) and I felt the sidebar was too
    prominent on the left-hand edge of the FF window, i.e. right in the
    'middle' between the 2 monitors.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk