"do this automatically for files like this from now on" is greyed out - Mozilla

This is a discussion on "do this automatically for files like this from now on" is greyed out - Mozilla ; When I choose to download/open a file with something other than the default application I'd like FireFox to remember the app/filetype combo, but the "do this automatically for files like this from now on" checkbox is greyed out. This is ...

  1. "do this automatically for files like this from now on" is greyed out

    When I choose to download/open a file with something other than the
    default application I'd like FireFox to remember the app/filetype
    combo, but the "do this automatically for files like this from now on"
    checkbox is greyed out.

    This is Firefox 1.5.04 on XP. I tried renaming the mimeType.rdf file in
    my Profiles directory. FF creates a new mimeTypes file but the checkbox
    is still greyed out.

    Anyone found a way to resolve this?

    Mike

  2. Re: "do this automatically for files like this from now on" is greyedout

    _Mike T_ spoke thusly on 28/06/2006 11:25 AM:
    > When I choose to download/open a file with something other than the
    > default application I'd like FireFox to remember the app/filetype
    > combo, but the "do this automatically for files like this from now on"
    > checkbox is greyed out.
    >
    > This is Firefox 1.5.04 on XP. I tried renaming the mimeType.rdf file in
    > my Profiles directory. FF creates a new mimeTypes file but the checkbox
    > is still greyed out.
    >
    > Anyone found a way to resolve this?

    What is the MIME type? Instead of deleting mimeTypes.rdf, try going to
    'Tools-->Options-->Downloads-->View & Edit Actions', and removing the
    entry for that MIME type.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: "do this automatically for files like this from now on" is greyed out

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Mike T_ spoke thusly on 28/06/2006 11:25 AM:
    > > When I choose to download/open a file with something other than the
    > > default application I'd like FireFox to remember the app/filetype
    > > combo, but the "do this automatically for files like this from now on"
    > > checkbox is greyed out.
    > >
    > > This is Firefox 1.5.04 on XP. I tried renaming the mimeType.rdf file in
    > > my Profiles directory. FF creates a new mimeTypes file but the checkbox
    > > is still greyed out.
    > >
    > > Anyone found a way to resolve this?

    > What is the MIME type? Instead of deleting mimeTypes.rdf, try going to
    > 'Tools-->Options-->Downloads-->View & Edit Actions', and removing the
    > entry for that MIME type.
    > --
    > Chris Ilias
    > mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    > Mozilla links
    > (Please do not email me tech support questions)

    The files I am opening are plain text, with a variety of extensions.
    There is no entry in the list of MIME types for text.

    Mike

  4. Re: "do this automatically for files like this from now on" is greyedout

    _Mike T_ spoke thusly on 29/06/2006 4:15 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> What is the MIME type? Instead of deleting mimeTypes.rdf, try going to
    >> 'Tools-->Options-->Downloads-->View & Edit Actions', and removing the
    >> entry for that MIME type.

    > The files I am opening are plain text, with a variety of extensions.
    > There is no entry in the list of MIME types for text.

    Interesting that Firefox is not just handling the files itself. Have any
    URLs for us to test?
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  5. Re: "do this automatically for files like this from now on" is greyed out

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Mike T_ spoke thusly on 29/06/2006 4:15 PM:
    > > The files I am opening are plain text, with a variety of extensions.
    > > There is no entry in the list of MIME types for text.

    > Interesting that Firefox is not just handling the files itself. Have any
    > URLs for us to test?
    > --
    > Chris Ilias
    > mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    > Mozilla links
    > (Please do not email me tech support questions)

    Unfortunately the links are all internal, but the behaviour should be
    easily reproducible. Basically the case is that Firefox gives me
    notepad as the default text editor (ugh). I want to use kedit or vi to
    read files with extensions like .log, .lo? etc. I don't know why
    firefox isn't using the system default for .log files, which is kedit,
    or the system default for .sql files, which is gvim. And there's no way
    through the Firefox UI to add MIME types to the types list.

    Mike

  6. Re: "do this automatically for files like this from now on" is greyedout

    _Mike T_ spoke thusly on 30/06/2006 9:45 AM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Mike T_ spoke thusly on 29/06/2006 4:15 PM:
    >>> The files I am opening are plain text, with a variety of extensions.
    >>> There is no entry in the list of MIME types for text.

    >> Interesting that Firefox is not just handling the files itself. Have any
    >> URLs for us to test?

    > Unfortunately the links are all internal, but the behaviour should be
    > easily reproducible. Basically the case is that Firefox gives me
    > notepad as the default text editor (ugh). I want to use kedit or vi to
    > read files with extensions like .log, .lo? etc. I don't know why
    > firefox isn't using the system default for .log files, which is kedit,
    > or the system default for .sql files, which is gvim. And there's no way
    > through the Firefox UI to add MIME types to the types list.

    I think local files don't require MIME-types.
    In any case, if I try to open a local txt file, css file, or log file,
    Firefox opens them all in the browser itself. Perhaps I just understand
    what your set up is.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  7. Re: "do this automatically for files like this from now on" is greyedout

    /Mike T/ said:

    > When I choose to download/open a file with something other than the
    > default application I'd like FireFox to remember the app/filetype
    > combo, but the "do this automatically for files like this from now on"
    > checkbox is greyed out.
    >
    > This is Firefox 1.5.04 on XP. I tried renaming the mimeType.rdf file in
    > my Profiles directory. FF creates a new mimeTypes file but the checkbox
    > is still greyed out.

    I see this behavior with .wmv files in SeaMonkey (a close cousin of FF). It
    does not occur in I.E., nor did it in Mozilla 1.7.3. Slightly different
    than your circumstance, but a hint that there may be a glitch in the latest
    browsers. No amount of fiddling here has enabled the "do this every time"
    choice for that file type.

  8. Re: "do this automatically for files like this from now on" is greyed out

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Mike T_ spoke thusly on 30/06/2006 9:45 AM:
    > >
    > > Unfortunately the links are all internal, but the behaviour should be
    > > easily reproducible. Basically the case is that Firefox gives me
    > > notepad as the default text editor (ugh). I want to use kedit or vi to
    > > read files with extensions like .log, .lo? etc. I don't know why
    > > firefox isn't using the system default for .log files, which is kedit,
    > > or the system default for .sql files, which is gvim. And there's no way
    > > through the Firefox UI to add MIME types to the types list.

    > I think local files don't require MIME-types.
    > In any case, if I try to open a local txt file, css file, or log file,
    > Firefox opens them all in the browser itself. Perhaps I just understand
    > what your set up is.
    > --

    The files are actually on a local/internal web site, so they are
    http://, not file://...

    ..txt files do in fact open in the browser itself, but text files with
    other extensions default to notepad. How does Firefox decide which is
    the default app for a given file extension? Notepad is not the system
    default for any of the extensions I use (.log, .out, .ref, .sql etc),
    so it puzzles me that Firefox picks notepad. I've confirmed this is the
    same behaviour on another machine, this one with FF 1.0.6.

  9. Re: "do this automatically for files like this from now on" is greyedout

    _Mike T_ spoke thusly on 04/07/2006 11:05 AM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> I think local files don't require MIME-types.
    >> In any case, if I try to open a local txt file, css file, or log file,
    >> Firefox opens them all in the browser itself. Perhaps I just understand
    >> what your set up is.

    > The files are actually on a local/internal web site, so they are
    > http://, not file://...
    >
    > .txt files do in fact open in the browser itself, but text files with
    > other extensions default to notepad. How does Firefox decide which is
    > the default app for a given file extension? Notepad is not the system
    > default for any of the extensions I use (.log, .out, .ref, .sql etc),
    > so it puzzles me that Firefox picks notepad. I've confirmed this is the
    > same behaviour on another machine, this one with FF 1.0.6.

    My current guess is that the server is sending a wrong MIME type. If you
    can't see the MIME type in the 'Open/save as' prompt, try looking in
    Tools-->Page Info.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  10. Re: "do this automatically for files like this from now on" is greyed out

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Mike T_ spoke thusly on 04/07/2006 11:05 AM:
    > > .txt files do in fact open in the browser itself, but text files with
    > > other extensions default to notepad. How does Firefox decide which is
    > > the default app for a given file extension? Notepad is not the system
    > > default for any of the extensions I use (.log, .out, .ref, .sql etc),
    > > so it puzzles me that Firefox picks notepad. I've confirmed this is the
    > > same behaviour on another machine, this one with FF 1.0.6.

    > My current guess is that the server is sending a wrong MIME type. If you
    > can't see the MIME type in the 'Open/save as' prompt, try looking in
    > Tools-->Page Info.
    > --
    > Chris Ilias
    > mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    > Mozilla links
    > (Please do not email me tech support questions)

    The Open/Save As dialog identifies *.log files as "Text Document", and
    *.LO2 files as "LO2 file" ( e.g., "You have chosen to open xxx.lo2
    which is a: lo2 file") but these aren't MIME types AFAIK, and they do
    not appear in the Options>Downloads>View and Edit Actions list. The
    Page Info (or Frame Info) dialog IDs such files correctly as text/html.

    I wonder if there is a permissions issue with a file somewhere that FF
    needs to write to. It has no problems writing to mimeTypes.rdf, but is
    there something else somewhere?

    Mike

  11. Re: "do this automatically for files like this from now on" is greyedout

    _Mike T_ spoke thusly on 05/07/2006 1:41 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Mike T_ spoke thusly on 04/07/2006 11:05 AM:
    >>> .txt files do in fact open in the browser itself, but text files with
    >>> other extensions default to notepad. How does Firefox decide which is
    >>> the default app for a given file extension? Notepad is not the system
    >>> default for any of the extensions I use (.log, .out, .ref, .sql etc),
    >>> so it puzzles me that Firefox picks notepad. I've confirmed this is the
    >>> same behaviour on another machine, this one with FF 1.0.6.

    >> My current guess is that the server is sending a wrong MIME type. If you
    >> can't see the MIME type in the 'Open/save as' prompt, try looking in
    >> Tools-->Page Info.

    > The Open/Save As dialog identifies *.log files as "Text Document", and
    > *.LO2 files as "LO2 file" ( e.g., "You have chosen to open xxx.lo2
    > which is a: lo2 file") but these aren't MIME types AFAIK, and they do
    > not appear in the Options>Downloads>View and Edit Actions list. The
    > Page Info (or Frame Info) dialog IDs such files correctly as text/html.
    >
    > I wonder if there is a permissions issue with a file somewhere that FF
    > needs to write to. It has no problems writing to mimeTypes.rdf, but is
    > there something else somewhere?

    No, it's not a permissions issue. LO2 is not a standard text file
    extension. If I create a local TXT file, it is automatically given the
    Notepad icon. Change it to LOG, and it has the same icon. Change it to
    LO2, and the icon changes to that of having no program associated with it.

    When you use Page Info, make sure you are checking the info on the file
    you want to download, not that of the page.