shockwave help for an idiot, please - Mozilla

This is a discussion on shockwave help for an idiot, please - Mozilla ; I'm not computer-savvy, but unfortunately I'm the house I-T guy. I've been trying to get shockwave to work on firefox, but no success. I even installed an archived copy of Netscape 4.x from their website. Shockwave finally recognized Firefox as ...

  1. shockwave help for an idiot, please

    I'm not computer-savvy, but unfortunately I'm the house I-T guy. I've been
    trying to get shockwave to work on firefox, but no success. I even installed
    an archived copy of Netscape 4.x from their website. Shockwave finally
    recognized Firefox as a browser, but still it would not show files and
    clips.

    I detest using Internet Explorer because my computer always ends up with
    these mystery bugs after I use it, but I have to if I'm going to do anything
    requiring shockwave. Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with this
    issue? I'm not so very keen on digging into my registry, but I will if
    someone's got very direct instructions on what to do--the directions on
    Mozilla's site kindof scare me.

    Anyone brave enough can contact me directly at mormedspls@hotmail.com (my
    tech addy).

    Warm regards,
    Susan

  2. Re: shockwave help for an idiot, please

    "quiltchik" wrote on Thursday, June 15, 2006
    11:05:37 AM EDT:

    > I'm not computer-savvy, but unfortunately I'm the house I-T guy. I've been
    > trying to get shockwave to work on firefox, but no success. I even installed
    > an archived copy of Netscape 4.x from their website. Shockwave finally
    > recognized Firefox as a browser, but still it would not show files and
    > clips.
    >
    > I detest using Internet Explorer because my computer always ends up with
    > these mystery bugs after I use it, but I have to if I'm going to do anything
    > requiring shockwave. Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with this
    > issue? I'm not so very keen on digging into my registry, but I will if
    > someone's got very direct instructions on what to do--the directions on
    > Mozilla's site kindof scare me.
    >
    > Anyone brave enough can contact me directly at mormedspls@hotmail.com (my
    > tech addy).
    >
    > Warm regards,
    > Susan

    Just go directly to Adobe's website and download:

    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/

    very straightforward and no problem with FF...

  3. Re: shockwave help for an idiot, please

    NA wrote on Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:15:05 AM EDT:

    > "quiltchik" wrote on Thursday, June 15, 2006
    > 11:05:37 AM EDT:
    >
    >> I'm not computer-savvy, but unfortunately I'm the house I-T guy. I've
    >> been trying to get shockwave to work on firefox, but no success. I
    >> even installed an archived copy of Netscape 4.x from their website.
    >> Shockwave finally recognized Firefox as a browser, but still it would
    >> not show files and clips.
    >>
    >> I detest using Internet Explorer because my computer always ends up
    >> with these mystery bugs after I use it, but I have to if I'm going to
    >> do anything requiring shockwave. Can anyone give me some advice on how
    >> to deal with this issue? I'm not so very keen on digging into my
    >> registry, but I will if someone's got very direct instructions on what
    >> to do--the directions on Mozilla's site kindof scare me.
    >>
    >> Anyone brave enough can contact me directly at mormedspls@hotmail.com
    >> (my tech addy).
    >>
    >> Warm regards,
    >> Susan
    >>

    > Just go directly to Adobe's website and download:
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/
    >
    > very straightforward and no problem with FF...

    You can also check for proper operations of your installation of
    Shockwave--and Flash player too--at:

    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

    FYI...

  4. Re: shockwave help for an idiot, please

    quiltchik wrote:

    > I'm not computer-savvy, but unfortunately I'm the house I-T guy. I've been
    > trying to get shockwave to work on firefox, but no success. I even installed
    > an archived copy of Netscape 4.x from their website. Shockwave finally
    > recognized Firefox as a browser, but still it would not show files and
    > clips.
    >
    > I detest using Internet Explorer because my computer always ends up with
    > these mystery bugs after I use it, but I have to if I'm going to do anything
    > requiring shockwave. Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with this
    > issue? I'm not so very keen on digging into my registry, but I will if
    > someone's got very direct instructions on what to do--the directions on
    > Mozilla's site kindof scare me.
    >
    > Anyone brave enough can contact me directly at mormedspls@hotmail.com (my
    > tech addy).
    >
    > Warm regards,
    > Susan

    make sure you're installing the one for FF and not IE

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #9: Why do they call it a hard disk if its
    damaged with the slightest impact?

  5. Re: shockwave help for an idiot, please

    _quiltchik_ spoke thusly on 15/06/2006 11:05 AM:
    > I'm not computer-savvy, but unfortunately I'm the house I-T guy. I've been
    > trying to get shockwave to work on firefox, but no success. I even installed
    > an archived copy of Netscape 4.x from their website. Shockwave finally
    > recognized Firefox as a browser, but still it would not show files and
    > clips.
    >
    > I detest using Internet Explorer because my computer always ends up with
    > these mystery bugs after I use it, but I have to if I'm going to do anything
    > requiring shockwave. Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with this
    > issue? I'm not so very keen on digging into my registry, but I will if
    > someone's got very direct instructions on what to do--the directions on
    > Mozilla's site kindof scare me.
    >
    > Anyone brave enough can contact me directly at mormedspls@hotmail.com (my
    > tech addy).

    [emailed and posted to newsgroup]

    When you go to , make sure
    you are using Firefox. There is a different version of Shockwave for IE,
    than other browsers, and the website looks at what browser you are
    using, to determine which version of Shockwave to serve.

    After you've installed it, you'll need to restart Firefox.

    Then you can test it here:
    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
    --
    Chris Ilias