User Profiles - Mozilla

This is a discussion on User Profiles - Mozilla ; Sharon Vogl wrote: > I've found that, when an error occurs of great enough magnitude to close > firefox, I am unable to open it with my bookmarks and saved passwords. In > short, I am no longer able to ...

  1. Re: User Profiles

    Sharon Vogl wrote:

    > I've found that, when an error occurs of great enough magnitude to close
    > firefox, I am unable to open it with my bookmarks and saved passwords. In
    > short, I am no longer able to sign into my user profile. This would not be
    > a problem, but I am unable to switch the browser back to my profile. If
    > there is a way to do this, please notify me.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > S. Springer

    if you closed FF and restart it, you may get some message stating that
    the current profile is in use, and it may ask if you want to create a
    new profile. When you get that message, don't make a new profile.
    Instead, click Cancel, then bring up the task manager [ctrl+alt+del]
    and end FF there. Now restart FF and everything should be normal.

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #8: Just where is the "any" key anyway? See
    http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anykey0eh.jpg for details.

  2. User Profiles

    I've found that, when an error occurs of great enough magnitude to close
    firefox, I am unable to open it with my bookmarks and saved passwords. In
    short, I am no longer able to sign into my user profile. This would not be
    a problem, but I am unable to switch the browser back to my profile. If
    there is a way to do this, please notify me.

    Thank you,
    S. Springer

  3. Re: User Profiles

    gwtc kirjoitti 15.6.2006 7:58:

    > Sharon Vogl wrote:
    >
    >> I've found that, when an error occurs of great enough magnitude to
    >> close firefox, I am unable to open it with my bookmarks and saved
    >> passwords. In short, I am no longer able to sign into my user
    >> profile. This would not be a problem, but I am unable to switch the
    >> browser back to my profile. If there is a way to do this, please
    >> notify me.

    > if you closed FF and restart it, you may get some message stating that
    > the current profile is in use, and it may ask if you want to create a
    > new profile. When you get that message, don't make a new profile.
    > Instead, click Cancel, then bring up the task manager [ctrl+alt+del] and
    > end FF there. Now restart FF and everything should be normal.

    That, or delete the "parent.lock" file under the profile directory. It
    marks the profile to be in use.

    --
    ..... Tommi Nieminen .... http://tommi.legisign.org/ ....
    We learn from experience that men never learn anything from

  4. Re: User Profiles

    Tommi Nieminen wrote:

    > gwtc kirjoitti 15.6.2006 7:58:
    >

    >>Sharon Vogl wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've found that, when an error occurs of great enough magnitude to
    >>>close firefox, I am unable to open it with my bookmarks and saved
    >>>passwords. In short, I am no longer able to sign into my user
    >>>profile. This would not be a problem, but I am unable to switch the
    >>>browser back to my profile. If there is a way to do this, please
    >>>notify me.

    >>if you closed FF and restart it, you may get some message stating that
    >>the current profile is in use, and it may ask if you want to create a
    >>new profile. When you get that message, don't make a new profile.
    >>Instead, click Cancel, then bring up the task manager [ctrl+alt+del] and
    >>end FF there. Now restart FF and everything should be normal.

    > That, or delete the "parent.lock" file under the profile directory. It
    > marks the profile to be in use.

    using the task manager is quicker. Looking for the parent.lock takes
    too much resources and time looking for it.

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #9: Why do they call it a hard disk if its
    damaged with the slightest impact?

  5. Re: User Profiles

    gwtc kirjoitti 15.6.2006 19:50:

    > using the task manager is quicker. Looking for the parent.lock takes
    > too much resources and time looking for it.

    Only if there still *is* a process left to kill. parent.lock can be left
    lying there even if the computer is rebooted (and thus all extraneous
    processes killed).

    --
    ..... Tommi Nieminen .... http://tommi.legisign.org/ ....
    We learn from experience that men never learn anything from
    experience. -G. B. Shaw-
    ..... tommi dot nieminen at legisign dot org ....

+ Reply to Thread