customize width of search bar - Mozilla

This is a discussion on customize width of search bar - Mozilla ; FF 1.5.0.4 Hi, I used the following code found on http://www.mozilla.org/support/firef..._searchbarsize Change the width of the Search Bar By default, the Search bar on the toolbar is relatively small. To specify your own width in pixels, add the following code ...

  1. customize width of search bar

    FF 1.5.0.4

    Hi,
    I used the following code found on
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firef..._searchbarsize

    Change the width of the Search Bar

    By default, the Search bar on the toolbar is relatively small. To
    specify your own width in pixels, add the following code to your
    userChrome.css file:

    /* Make the Search box flex wider
    (in this case 400 pixels wide) */
    #search-container, #searchbar {
    -moz-box-flex: 400 !important;
    }

    HOWEVER, no matter the amount of pixels I enter, 400 or100 or 50, the
    width stays stuck VERY wide.

    I have to add that I have dragged my search bar too the Menu bar to gain
    space for my regular toolbar.

    Any ideas how how to control the width exactly?

    Tx. S

  2. Re: customize width of search bar

    stef_204 wrote:

    > FF 1.5.0.4
    >
    > Hi,
    > I used the following code found on
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firef..._searchbarsize
    >
    > Change the width of the Search Bar
    >
    > By default, the Search bar on the toolbar is relatively small. To
    > specify your own width in pixels, add the following code to your
    > userChrome.css file:
    >
    > /* Make the Search box flex wider
    > (in this case 400 pixels wide) */
    > #search-container, #searchbar {
    > -moz-box-flex: 400 !important;
    > }
    >
    > HOWEVER, no matter the amount of pixels I enter, 400 or100 or 50, the
    > width stays stuck VERY wide.
    >
    > I have to add that I have dragged my search bar too the Menu bar to gain
    > space for my regular toolbar.
    >
    > Any ideas how how to control the width exactly?
    >
    > Tx. S

    I'm making sure: You're placing the userchrome.css in the Chrome
    directory of your profile, right?

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #4: How do you press F1 when your PC has a
    keyboard error or no keyboard present?

  3. Re: customize width of search bar

    gwtc wrote:
    > stef_204 wrote:
    >
    >> FF 1.5.0.4
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >> I used the following code found on
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/support/firef..._searchbarsize
    >>
    >> Change the width of the Search Bar
    >>
    >> By default, the Search bar on the toolbar is relatively small. To
    >> specify your own width in pixels, add the following code to your
    >> userChrome.css file:
    >>
    >> /* Make the Search box flex wider
    >> (in this case 400 pixels wide) */
    >> #search-container, #searchbar {
    >> -moz-box-flex: 400 !important;
    >> }
    >>
    >> HOWEVER, no matter the amount of pixels I enter, 400 or100 or 50, the
    >> width stays stuck VERY wide.
    >>
    >> I have to add that I have dragged my search bar too the Menu bar to
    >> gain space for my regular toolbar.
    >>
    >> Any ideas how how to control the width exactly?
    >>
    >> Tx. S

    > I'm making sure: You're placing the userchrome.css in the Chrome
    > directory of your profile, right?

    Yes, of course. It's already there with other customizations that DO work.

  4. Re: customize width of search bar

    stef_204 wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>stef_204 wrote:
    >>

    >>>FF 1.5.0.4
    >>>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>I used the following code found on
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/support/firef..._searchbarsize
    >>>
    >>>Change the width of the Search Bar
    >>>
    >>> By default, the Search bar on the toolbar is relatively small. To
    >>>specify your own width in pixels, add the following code to your
    >>>userChrome.css file:
    >>>
    >>> /* Make the Search box flex wider
    >>> (in this case 400 pixels wide) */
    >>> #search-container, #searchbar {
    >>> -moz-box-flex: 400 !important;
    >>> }
    >>>
    >>>HOWEVER, no matter the amount of pixels I enter, 400 or100 or 50, the
    >>>width stays stuck VERY wide.
    >>>
    >>>I have to add that I have dragged my search bar too the Menu bar to
    >>>gain space for my regular toolbar.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas how how to control the width exactly?
    >>>
    >>>Tx. S

    >>I'm making sure: You're placing the userchrome.css in the Chrome
    >>directory of your profile, right?
    >>

    > Yes, of course. It's already there with other customizations that DO work.

    then what extensions do you have that might be over-riding this setting?

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #4: How do you press F1 when your PC has a
    keyboard error or no keyboard present?

  5. Re: customize width of search bar

    gwtc wrote:
    > stef_204 wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> I'm making sure: You're placing the userchrome.css in the Chrome
    >>> directory of your profile, right?
    >>>

    >> Yes, of course. It's already there with other customizations that DO
    >> work.

    > then what extensions do you have that might be over-riding this setting?

    Np idea what could be overriding it.
    Here is the extensions:

    Adblock 0.5.3.042
    All-In-One Sidebar 0.6.4
    Autofill 0.3
    Bookmark Backup 0.3.3
    Colorful Tabs 1.4
    CuteMenus 2 1.0
    deskCut 0.5.0.4
    DictionarySearch 1.5
    Disable Targets For Downloads 1.0.1
    Download Statusbar 0.9.4.1
    DownThemAll! 0.9.9.4
    Enhanced Bookmark Search 0.1.4.03
    Ez Sidebar 3.1.2006011301
    IE Tab 1.0.9
    IE View Lite 1.2
    Image Zoom 0.2.5
    Locate in Bookmark Folders 0.2.4
    MapIt! 0.7.1
    Mnenhy 0.7.4
    My Portal 1.0.5
    Nightly Tester Tools 1.0.4
    Print/Print Preview 0.2
    QuickNote 0.6.0.2
    Sage 1.3.6
    Search Engine Ordering 0.9.6
    SearchPluginHacks 0.1.3
    SpellBound Development 0.9.8.20060108
    Text Link 1.3.2006032801
    View Cookies 1.5
    View Dependencies 0.3.1.0
    Web Developer 1.0.2

  6. Re: customize width of search bar

    On 6/11/2006 12:33 AM, stef_204 wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> stef_204 wrote:
    >>
    >>> FF 1.5.0.4
    >>>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I used the following code found on
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/support/firef..._searchbarsize
    >>>
    >>> Change the width of the Search Bar
    >>>
    >>> By default, the Search bar on the toolbar is relatively small.
    >>> To specify your own width in pixels, add the following code to your
    >>> userChrome.css file:
    >>>
    >>> /* Make the Search box flex wider
    >>> (in this case 400 pixels wide) */
    >>> #search-container, #searchbar {
    >>> -moz-box-flex: 400 !important;
    >>> }
    >>>
    >>> HOWEVER, no matter the amount of pixels I enter, 400 or100 or 50, the
    >>> width stays stuck VERY wide.
    >>>
    >>> I have to add that I have dragged my search bar too the Menu bar to
    >>> gain space for my regular toolbar.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas how how to control the width exactly?
    >>>
    >>> Tx. S

    >> I'm making sure: You're placing the userchrome.css in the Chrome
    >> directory of your profile, right?
    >>

    > Yes, of course. It's already there with other customizations that DO work.

    I think it may be theme related. The useChrome.css seems to work as expected in
    one profile with Noia 2, but won't behave in another profile using Littlefox.
    You may try deleting XUL.mfl but I don't think it will help.

    PS. - Just checked before hitting "Send" :-) Definitely theme. Search bar
    changes length depending on theme used. Same behavior with Default theme and
    Noia 2, but not responding to userChrome.css with iFox Graphite in the same
    profile with same userChrome.css.

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  7. Re: customize width of search bar

    G. R. Woodring wrote:
    > On 6/11/2006 12:33 AM, stef_204 wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> I'm making sure: You're placing the userchrome.css in the Chrome
    >>> directory of your profile, right?
    >>>

    >> Yes, of course. It's already there with other customizations that DO
    >> work.

    > I think it may be theme related. The useChrome.css seems to work as
    > expected in one profile with Noia 2, but won't behave in another profile
    > using Littlefox. You may try deleting XUL.mfl but I don't think it will
    > help.
    >
    > PS. - Just checked before hitting "Send" :-) Definitely theme. Search
    > bar changes length depending on theme used. Same behavior with Default
    > theme and Noia 2, but not responding to userChrome.css with iFox
    > Graphite in the same profile with same userChrome.css.

    You're probably right.
    Until I find a solution, I have installed Extension "Toggle Search"
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2552/
    It's very simple and works quite well.

+ Reply to Thread