custom page background colors? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on custom page background colors? - Mozilla ; I see FF allows setting the color of page backgrounds. But it's selection in pretty constrictive, especially when one wants a more tame, neutral color. Is there any way to spec a custom color? I've placed body { background: #C1BE9D; ...

  1. custom page background colors?

    I see FF allows setting the color of page backgrounds. But it's
    selection in pretty constrictive, especially when one wants a
    more tame, neutral color. Is there any way to spec a custom
    color?

    I've placed

    body {
    background: #C1BE9D;
    }

    in my userchrome.css, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe
    the setting in Options (white) is overriding it?

    Thanks,
    p.
    --
    Using FF 1.5.0.4 on Win XP sp2

  2. Re: custom page background colors?

    Paul_B wrote in
    :

    > I've placed
    >
    > body {
    > background: #C1BE9D;
    > }
    >
    > in my userchrome.css, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe
    > the setting in Options (white) is overriding it?

    If you want it to override the site's css and the browser's css, you
    have to add !important.

    body { background: #C1BE9D !important; }

  3. Re: custom page background colors?

    Paul_B wrote:

    >I see FF allows setting the color of page backgrounds. But it's
    >selection in pretty constrictive, especially when one wants a
    >more tame, neutral color. Is there any way to spec a custom
    >color?

    Another thing I use prefbar for.
    I can toggle easily between the web site as written, black and white,
    and 'system colours' which is the same bland grey that I use for
    everything else.

    http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

  4. Re: custom page background colors?

    On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 07:22:32 -0500, Q wrote:

    > Paul_B wrote in
    > :
    >
    >> I've placed
    >>
    >> body {
    >> background: #C1BE9D;
    >> }
    >>
    >> in my userchrome.css, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe
    >> the setting in Options (white) is overriding it?

    > If you want it to override the site's css and the browser's css, you
    > have to add !important.
    >
    > body { background: #C1BE9D !important; }

    Thanks, but it's still doing nothing. I have [x] allow page to
    override settings, but even when I uncheck that nothing changes.

    p.
    --
    Using FF 1.5.0.4 on Win XP sp2

  5. Re: custom page background colors?

    On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:43:23 +0100, jo wrote:

    > Paul_B wrote:
    >
    >>I see FF allows setting the color of page backgrounds. But it's
    >>selection in pretty constrictive, especially when one wants a
    >>more tame, neutral color. Is there any way to spec a custom
    >>color?

    > Another thing I use prefbar for.
    > I can toggle easily between the web site as written, black and white,
    > and 'system colours' which is the same bland grey that I use for
    > everything else.
    >
    > http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    I have no more toolbar room to give up. A button that switches
    between page and user style sheet (which is different from what
    your solution does) would be perfect for me. I currently have
    background changer bookmarklets on the toolbar, but they must be
    enforced with each page, and don't work at all times.

    p.
    --
    Using FF 1.5.0.4 on Win XP sp2

  6. Re: custom page background colors?

    On 6/10/2006 4:25 PM, Paul_B wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 07:22:32 -0500, Q wrote:
    >
    >> Paul_B wrote in
    >> :
    >>
    >>> I've placed
    >>>
    >>> body {
    >>> background: #C1BE9D;
    >>> }
    >>>
    >>> in my userchrome.css, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe
    >>> the setting in Options (white) is overriding it?

    >> If you want it to override the site's css and the browser's css, you
    >> have to add !important.
    >>
    >> body { background: #C1BE9D !important; }

    > Thanks, but it's still doing nothing. I have [x] allow page to
    > override settings, but even when I uncheck that nothing changes.
    >
    > p.

    I think this needs to go into userContent.css

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  7. Re: custom page background colors?

    Paul_B wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:43:23 +0100, jo wrote:
    >
    >> Paul_B wrote:
    >>
    >>>I see FF allows setting the color of page backgrounds. But it's
    >>>selection in pretty constrictive, especially when one wants a
    >>>more tame, neutral color. Is there any way to spec a custom
    >>>color?

    >> Another thing I use prefbar for.
    >> I can toggle easily between the web site as written, black and white,
    >> and 'system colours' which is the same bland grey that I use for
    >> everything else.
    >>
    >> http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    >I have no more toolbar room to give up.

    You can have prefbar as a drop down menu...

  8. Re: custom page background colors?

    "G. R. Woodring" wrote in
    :

    > On 6/10/2006 4:25 PM, Paul_B wrote:
    >> On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 07:22:32 -0500, Q wrote:
    >>
    >>> Paul_B wrote in
    >>> :

    >>> If you want it to override the site's css and the browser's css,
    >>> you have to add !important.
    >>>
    >>> body { background: #C1BE9D !important; }

    >> Thanks, but it's still doing nothing. I have [x] allow page to
    >> override settings, but even when I uncheck that nothing changes.

    > I think this needs to go into userContent.css

    Yeah, that's right. Sorry I didn't catch it.

  9. Re: custom page background colors?

    Paul_B wrote:
    > I see FF allows setting the color of page backgrounds. But it's
    > selection in pretty constrictive, especially when one wants a
    > more tame, neutral color. Is there any way to spec a custom
    > color?
    >
    > I've placed
    >
    > body {
    > background: #C1BE9D;
    > }
    >
    > in my userchrome.css, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe
    > the setting in Options (white) is overriding it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > p.

    You should have put that in the userContent.css file, not userChrome.
    If code on the web page sets a background colour, that will override
    your setting. What you have set is a default, which will be used only
    if no background was set at all.

  10. Re: custom page background colors?

    On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 16:31:49 -0400, G. R. Woodring wrote:

    > On 6/10/2006 4:25 PM, Paul_B wrote:
    >> On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 07:22:32 -0500, Q wrote:
    >>
    >>> Paul_B wrote in
    >>> :

    >>> If you want it to override the site's css and the browser's css, you
    >>> have to add !important.
    >>>
    >>> body { background: #C1BE9D !important; }

    >> Thanks, but it's still doing nothing. I have [x] allow page to
    >> override settings, but even when I uncheck that nothing changes.
    >>
    >> p.

    > I think this needs to go into userContent.css

    You're absolutely correct. Immediate success. Thanks.

    Still would love to find a way to toggle how FF handles .css.

    Paul
    --
    Using FF 1.5.0.4 on Win XP sp2

  11. Re: custom page background colors?

    On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:45:31 +0100, jo wrote:

    > Paul_B wrote:

    >>> Another thing I use prefbar for.
    >>> I can toggle easily between the web site as written, black and white,
    >>> and 'system colours' which is the same bland grey that I use for
    >>> everything else.
    >>>
    >>> http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    >>I have no more toolbar room to give up.

    > You can have prefbar as a drop down menu...

    Good to know. My ideal would be just to switch to and from a
    user.css, one button. But maybe I could use this to do that.

    Paul
    --
    Using FF 1.5.0.4 on Win XP sp2

  12. Re: custom page background colors?

    Paul_B wrote in
    kgwzo5amn8f.dlg@pbpublic.invalid>:

    > Still would love to find a way to toggle how FF handles .css.

    Style Sheet Chooser II will let you toggle a site's css off or on, or
    select alternate style sheets if available. Unlike the normal item in
    the View menu, the settings will stick. Latest version is 1.5.0.4 -- I
    think it will automatically get the update if you try to install the
    1.5.0.3 version listed on the site.

    Stylish is probably more what you are looking for, though. It adds
    pretty easy management of per-site and per-page user css.

  13. Re: custom page background colors?

    On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 08:39:49 -0500, Q wrote:

    > Paul_B wrote in
    > kgwzo5amn8f.dlg@pbpublic.invalid>:
    >
    >> Still would love to find a way to toggle how FF handles .css.

    > Style Sheet Chooser II will let you toggle a site's css off or on, or
    > select alternate style sheets if available. Unlike the normal item in
    > the View menu, the settings will stick. Latest version is 1.5.0.4 -- I
    > think it will automatically get the update if you try to install the
    > 1.5.0.3 version listed on the site.
    >

    > Stylish is probably more what you are looking for, though. It adds
    > pretty easy management of per-site and per-page user css.

    SSC doesn't let one choose an alternative css, as I recall from
    when I had it installed.

    Stylish looks better, but I can't get to first base with it. I'll
    let it go for now.

    Thanks,
    Paul
    --