How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox? - Mozilla ; Hi all. My FF 1.5.0.4 continues to crash at seemingly random times. So I uninstalled FF 1.5.0.4, deleted all Mozilla Firefox directories (including in Documents and Settings), rebooted, reinstalled FF 1.5.0.4, then installed one extension, restarted FF, installed another extension, ...

  1. How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    Hi all. My FF 1.5.0.4 continues to crash at seemingly random times.

    So I uninstalled FF 1.5.0.4, deleted all Mozilla Firefox directories
    (including in Documents and Settings), rebooted, reinstalled FF 1.5.0.4,
    then installed one extension, restarted FF, installed another extension,
    restarted FF, etc.

    It still is crashing at seemingly random times. I'd like to know what's
    conflicting - is there any way to figure out what's causing the crashes?
    I'd remove the troublesome extension if I could just figure out which
    one...

    Here's the extensions I have now (all are up to date):

    Dom Inspector
    Talkback
    Restart Tabbed
    BugMeNot
    Download Statusbar
    dragdropupload
    FireFTP
    IE Tab
    IE View Lite
    Image Zoom
    LiveClick
    Reliby
    MinimizeToTray
    NoScript
    MediaWrap
    Gmail Manager
    PopupSound
    Print It!
    Update Notifier
    Window Resizer
    Colorful Tabs
    Extended Statusbar
    Crash Recovery
    TimeTracker

    Any help would be much appreciated. I'd rather not give up on FF.

    - Phil

  2. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:

    >It still is crashing at seemingly random times. I'd like to know what's
    >conflicting - is there any way to figure out what's causing the crashes?

    When it was happening to me it was down to a faulty RAM stick. Have
    you tried testing it with something like docmemory or mem86?

  3. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:
    > Hi all. My FF 1.5.0.4 continues to crash at seemingly random times.
    >
    > So I uninstalled FF 1.5.0.4, deleted all Mozilla Firefox directories
    > (including in Documents and Settings), rebooted, reinstalled FF 1.5.0.4,
    > then installed one extension, restarted FF, installed another extension,
    > restarted FF, etc.
    >
    > It still is crashing at seemingly random times. I'd like to know what's
    > conflicting - is there any way to figure out what's causing the crashes?
    > I'd remove the troublesome extension if I could just figure out which
    > one...

    Remove all the extensions and see if it crashes. It it doesn't crash,
    the reason is within the extensions. Then install for example 50% of
    your extensions and again test if it is stable or not. If it is stable,
    install 50% of the remaining extensions. If it then starts crashing,
    remove half from the extensions you previously installed and try again.

    It might take a while but eventually you should have one extension which
    starts causing crashes. Then you should still try to uninstall all
    extensions and install only that one and see if it crashes, because it
    is also possible that some extensions just don't work well together.

  4. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    _Philip H. Schlesinger_ spoke thusly on 09/06/2006 1:36 PM:
    > Hi all. My FF 1.5.0.4 continues to crash at seemingly random times.
    >
    > So I uninstalled FF 1.5.0.4, deleted all Mozilla Firefox directories
    > (including in Documents and Settings), rebooted, reinstalled FF 1.5.0.4,
    > then installed one extension, restarted FF, installed another extension,
    > restarted FF, etc.
    >
    > It still is crashing at seemingly random times. I'd like to know what's
    > conflicting - is there any way to figure out what's causing the crashes?
    > I'd remove the troublesome extension if I could just figure out which
    > one...

    If you get an error message, look for any useful info there.
    If you start Firefox via Start-->All Programs-->Mozilla
    Firefox-->Mozilla Firefox(Safe Mode), that will run Firefox with
    extensions and themes disabled.
    If you find that works, start Firefox normally, open the extension
    manager. You can disable individual extensions via
    right-click-->Disable; so that should help you narrow it down.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  5. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    Aggro wrote:
    > Remove all the extensions and see if it crashes. It it doesn't crash,
    > the reason is within the extensions.

    No, don't remove them. Open the extension manager and right click on
    all the extensions and select Disable. Now restart FF. Does the
    problem continue? If not, then re-enable each one, one at a time, and
    restarting FF each time, until you find the problem one.

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #3: Do Viruses ever get sick?

  6. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    gwtc wrote:

    > No, don't remove them. Open the extension manager and right click on
    > all the extensions and select Disable.

    Yes, you are right. Disabling is enough for testing.

  7. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:36:37 -0700, Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:

    > Here's the extensions I have now (all are up to date):

    That's quite a list. Here is a list of extensions known to cause memory
    leaks. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

    If I was debugging my machine, I would start by checking to see if there
    are any extensions on this list and disabling those first. I am basing
    this on the assumption that if the extension is leaking memory, it probably
    is behaving poorly in other respects also.

    mikkl

  8. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:
    > Hi all. My FF 1.5.0.4 continues to crash at seemingly random times.
    >
    > So I uninstalled FF 1.5.0.4, deleted all Mozilla Firefox directories
    > (including in Documents and Settings), rebooted, reinstalled FF 1.5.0.4,
    > then installed one extension, restarted FF, installed another extension,
    > restarted FF, etc.
    >
    > It still is crashing at seemingly random times. I'd like to know what's
    > conflicting - is there any way to figure out what's causing the crashes?
    > I'd remove the troublesome extension if I could just figure out which
    > one...
    >
    > Here's the extensions I have now (all are up to date):
    >
    > Dom Inspector
    > Talkback
    > Restart Tabbed
    > BugMeNot
    > Download Statusbar
    > dragdropupload
    > FireFTP
    > IE Tab
    > IE View Lite
    > Image Zoom
    > LiveClick
    > Reliby
    > MinimizeToTray
    > NoScript
    > MediaWrap
    > Gmail Manager
    > PopupSound
    > Print It!
    > Update Notifier
    > Window Resizer
    > Colorful Tabs
    > Extended Statusbar
    > Crash Recovery
    > TimeTracker
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated. I'd rather not give up on FF.
    >
    > - Phil

    start at the top of your list, and disable half of the extensions. Exit
    the program and restart it. See if it crashes after using it a while.
    If it does, disable the bottom half of the list, terminate, and restart.
    If it still crashes, you have profile troubles. If it doesn't crash,
    try enabling the first half of the list. If that works, the try adding
    back the lower half extensions two or three at a time, giving time for a
    crash to happen between each group. Don't forget you MUST exit the
    program and reload every time you change the extensions. You should be
    able to isolate the troublesome extension, or the bad profile, that way.
    Good luck. BTW, the more extensions you add, the more ram you use,
    and the more the probability that you will have problems. Any you don't
    use every day should be done without.

  9. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    Aggro wrote:
    > Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:
    >> Hi all. My FF 1.5.0.4 continues to crash at seemingly random times.
    >>
    >> So I uninstalled FF 1.5.0.4, deleted all Mozilla Firefox directories
    >> (including in Documents and Settings), rebooted, reinstalled FF
    >> 1.5.0.4, then installed one extension, restarted FF, installed another
    >> extension, restarted FF, etc.
    >>
    >> It still is crashing at seemingly random times. I'd like to know
    >> what's conflicting - is there any way to figure out what's causing the
    >> crashes? I'd remove the troublesome extension if I could just figure
    >> out which one...

    > Remove all the extensions and see if it crashes. It it doesn't crash,
    > the reason is within the extensions. Then install for example 50% of
    > your extensions and again test if it is stable or not. If it is stable,
    > install 50% of the remaining extensions. If it then starts crashing,
    > remove half from the extensions you previously installed and try again.
    >
    > It might take a while but eventually you should have one extension which
    > starts causing crashes. Then you should still try to uninstall all
    > extensions and install only that one and see if it crashes, because it
    > is also possible that some extensions just don't work well together.

    Nice to see someone else here advocating the binary approach to
    troubleshooting....

  10. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    Thank you all for your suggestions, but is there any way to find out
    what's crashing through reading a report of some sort?

    I'm shocked that nobody has written an extension that'll allow a user to
    look up a report, see the exception that caused the crash, and maybe
    list which extension(s) were in use that the time (or even, G-d forbid,
    which extension caused the error).

    - Phil

    Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:
    > Hi all. My FF 1.5.0.4 continues to crash at seemingly random times.
    >
    > So I uninstalled FF 1.5.0.4, deleted all Mozilla Firefox directories
    > (including in Documents and Settings), rebooted, reinstalled FF 1.5.0.4,
    > then installed one extension, restarted FF, installed another extension,
    > restarted FF, etc.
    >
    > It still is crashing at seemingly random times. I'd like to know what's
    > conflicting - is there any way to figure out what's causing the crashes?
    > I'd remove the troublesome extension if I could just figure out which
    > one...
    >
    > Here's the extensions I have now (all are up to date):
    >
    > Dom Inspector
    > Talkback
    > Restart Tabbed
    > BugMeNot
    > Download Statusbar
    > dragdropupload
    > FireFTP
    > IE Tab
    > IE View Lite
    > Image Zoom
    > LiveClick
    > Reliby
    > MinimizeToTray
    > NoScript
    > MediaWrap
    > Gmail Manager
    > PopupSound
    > Print It!
    > Update Notifier
    > Window Resizer
    > Colorful Tabs
    > Extended Statusbar
    > Crash Recovery
    > TimeTracker
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated. I'd rather not give up on FF.
    >
    > - Phil

  11. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:
    > Thank you all for your suggestions, but is there any way to find out
    > what's crashing through reading a report of some sort?
    >
    > I'm shocked that nobody has written an extension that'll allow a user to
    > look up a report, see the exception that caused the crash, and maybe
    > list which extension(s) were in use that the time (or even, G-d forbid,
    > which extension caused the error).
    >
    > - Phil
    >

    > Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:
    >> Hi all. My FF 1.5.0.4 continues to crash at seemingly random times.
    >>
    >> So I uninstalled FF 1.5.0.4, deleted all Mozilla Firefox directories
    >> (including in Documents and Settings), rebooted, reinstalled FF
    >> 1.5.0.4, then installed one extension, restarted FF, installed another
    >> extension, restarted FF, etc.
    >>
    >> It still is crashing at seemingly random times. I'd like to know
    >> what's conflicting - is there any way to figure out what's causing the
    >> crashes? I'd remove the troublesome extension if I could just figure
    >> out which one...
    >>
    >> Here's the extensions I have now (all are up to date):
    >>
    >> Dom Inspector
    >> Talkback
    >> Restart Tabbed
    >> BugMeNot
    >> Download Statusbar
    >> dragdropupload
    >> FireFTP
    >> IE Tab
    >> IE View Lite
    >> Image Zoom
    >> LiveClick
    >> Reliby
    >> MinimizeToTray
    >> NoScript
    >> MediaWrap
    >> Gmail Manager
    >> PopupSound
    >> Print It!
    >> Update Notifier
    >> Window Resizer
    >> Colorful Tabs
    >> Extended Statusbar
    >> Crash Recovery
    >> TimeTracker
    >>
    >> Any help would be much appreciated. I'd rather not give up on FF.
    >>
    >> - Phil

    That would be nice. Care to write one? Grin.
    It is possible in XP to look up the address which caused the error, and
    the error number, with some other information for each program crash,
    but only a programmer could really make use of the information.

  12. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    It's a tempting thought. Perhaps I'll do it over the summer. Hopefully
    the tutorials and documentation are better for FF extension authoring
    than for writing Eclipse plug-ins (which I'm in doing for a grad school
    class right now).

    Meanwhile, I'll try the binary search method next week.

    - Phil

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > That would be nice. Care to write one? Grin.
    > It is possible in XP to look up the address which caused the error, and
    > the error number, with some other information for each program crash,
    > but only a programmer could really make use of the information.

    > Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:
    >> Thank you all for your suggestions, but is there any way to find out
    >> what's crashing through reading a report of some sort?
    >>
    >> I'm shocked that nobody has written an extension that'll allow a user
    >> to look up a report, see the exception that caused the crash, and
    >> maybe list which extension(s) were in use that the time (or even, G-d
    >> forbid, which extension caused the error).
    >>
    >> - Phil

  13. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    "mikkl" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:36:37 -0700, Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:
    >
    >> Here's the extensions I have now (all are up to date):

    > That's quite a list. Here is a list of extensions known to cause
    > memory
    > leaks. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
    >
    > If I was debugging my machine, I would start by checking to see if
    > there
    > are any extensions on this list and disabling those first. I am
    > basing
    > this on the assumption that if the extension is leaking memory, it
    > probably
    > is behaving poorly in other respects also.
    >
    > mikkl

    Thanks mikkl

    Your URI pointer is one of the most useful 'gems' of the week...

  14. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Aggro wrote:
    >> Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:
    >>> Hi all. My FF 1.5.0.4 continues to crash at seemingly random times.
    >>>
    >>> So I uninstalled FF 1.5.0.4, deleted all Mozilla Firefox directories
    >>> (including in Documents and Settings), rebooted, reinstalled FF
    >>> 1.5.0.4, then installed one extension, restarted FF, installed another
    >>> extension, restarted FF, etc.
    >>>
    >>> It still is crashing at seemingly random times. I'd like to know
    >>> what's conflicting - is there any way to figure out what's causing the
    >>> crashes? I'd remove the troublesome extension if I could just figure
    >>> out which one...

    >> Remove all the extensions and see if it crashes. It it doesn't crash,
    >> the reason is within the extensions. Then install for example 50% of
    >> your extensions and again test if it is stable or not. If it is stable,
    >> install 50% of the remaining extensions. If it then starts crashing,
    >> remove half from the extensions you previously installed and try again.
    >>
    >> It might take a while but eventually you should have one extension which
    >> starts causing crashes. Then you should still try to uninstall all
    >> extensions and install only that one and see if it crashes, because it
    >> is also possible that some extensions just don't work well together.

    > Nice to see someone else here advocating the binary approach to
    > troubleshooting....

    In the USAF (Electronics Maint.), they called it the half-split method.
    Worked well for me, whatever you call it.

    --
    Alex

  15. Re: How can one figure out the reason for crashing Firefox?

    Philip H. Schlesinger wrote:
    > Hi all. My FF 1.5.0.4 continues to crash at seemingly random times.
    >
    > So I uninstalled FF 1.5.0.4, deleted all Mozilla Firefox directories
    > (including in Documents and Settings), rebooted, reinstalled FF 1.5.0.4,
    > then installed one extension, restarted FF, installed another extension,
    > restarted FF, etc.
    >
    > It still is crashing at seemingly random times. I'd like to know what's
    > conflicting - is there any way to figure out what's causing the crashes?
    > I'd remove the troublesome extension if I could just figure out which
    > one...
    >
    > Here's the extensions I have now (all are up to date):
    >
    > Dom Inspector
    > Talkback
    > Restart Tabbed
    > BugMeNot
    > Download Statusbar
    > dragdropupload
    > FireFTP
    > IE Tab
    > IE View Lite
    > Image Zoom
    > LiveClick
    > Reliby
    > MinimizeToTray
    > NoScript
    > MediaWrap
    > Gmail Manager
    > PopupSound
    > Print It!
    > Update Notifier
    > Window Resizer
    > Colorful Tabs
    > Extended Statusbar
    > Crash Recovery
    > TimeTracker
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated. I'd rather not give up on FF.
    >
    > - Phil

    I'm suffering from the random crashes problem too. If it's any help
    these are the only extensions I have in common with you:

    Talkback
    Download Statusbar
    Image Zoom

+ Reply to Thread