Disabled Edit->Select All + Copy? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Disabled Edit->Select All + Copy? - Mozilla ; Hi All, I'm trying to make it as difficult as possible to copy text from a webpage. We basically have a table for products information which i need to protect as much as possible. So far I have disabled right ...

  1. Disabled Edit->Select All + Copy?

    Hi All,

    I'm trying to make it as difficult as possible to copy text from a
    webpage. We basically have a table for products information which i need
    to protect as much as possible.

    So far I have disabled right click, and key presses to prevent Ctrl+A,
    Ctrl+C and scrambled the source as much as possible. My only problem is
    that I can't disabled the Menu->Edit->Select all or copy commands.

    Does anybody have any idea of if this is possible, or any other ways of
    doing this? I had thought of adding a transparent HTML Layer over my
    table, so that if the user tries to select all+copy then they just
    select this layer, and just copy nothing...but thats not working....

    Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome!

    Thanks

    Ken

  2. Re: Disabled Edit->Select All + Copy?

    Ken wrote, on 6/9/2006 11:00 AM:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm trying to make it as difficult as possible to copy text from a
    > webpage. We basically have a table for products information which i need
    > to protect as much as possible.
    >
    > So far I have disabled right click, and key presses to prevent Ctrl+A,
    > Ctrl+C and scrambled the source as much as possible. My only problem is
    > that I can't disabled the Menu->Edit->Select all or copy commands.
    >
    > Does anybody have any idea of if this is possible, or any other ways of
    > doing this? I had thought of adding a transparent HTML Layer over my
    > table, so that if the user tries to select all+copy then they just
    > select this layer, and just copy nothing...but thats not working....
    >
    > Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome!

    The *ONLY* way to prevent someone from copying something is for you to
    not post it on the web in the first place. Seriously.

    Anyone with even a little knowledge can quickly disable Javascript (thus
    killing your right-click "prevention"). And that doesn't begin to
    prevent the File -> Save As option.

  3. Re: Disabled Edit->Select All + Copy?

    I know you can't make it impossible to copy.... but I'm just trying to make
    it as difficult as possible.

    Ken

  4. Re: Disabled Edit->Select All + Copy?

    Ken wrote:

    > I know you can't make it impossible to copy.... but I'm just trying to make
    > it as difficult as possible.

    Ken,

    Put your data in a captcha.

    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha)

    People can still read and transcribe the data, but electronic copying
    and OCR (Optical Character Recognition) is very difficult, if not
    impossible.

    Ron

  5. Re: Disabled Edit->Select All + Copy?

    On 09.06.2006 09:14 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Ilias
    to generate the following:? :

    > _Ken_ spoke thusly on 09/06/2006 11:00 AM:
    >
    >> I'm trying to make it as difficult as possible to copy text from a
    >> webpage. We basically have a table for products information which i need
    >> to protect as much as possible.

    > Take a screenshot of it, and post it as an image, like so:
    > http://www.thestingray.net/agree3.htm

    that even prevents any copying from View>>Page Source..... :-(

    reg

  6. Re: Disabled Edit->Select All + Copy?

    On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:10:47 -0400, Ken Wagner wrote:

    > The *ONLY* way to prevent someone from copying something is for you to
    > not post it on the web in the first place. Seriously.

    Agreed. All anyone needs to is to take a screen capture and they have
    whatever you have posted on the internet. If I can see it, I can copy it.
    With an image and OCR software (or a quick typist), the data is mine.

    If you do not want it copied, keep it off the internet.

    mikkl

  7. Re: Disabled Edit->Select All + Copy?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Ken_ spoke thusly on 09/06/2006 11:00 AM:
    >> I'm trying to make it as difficult as possible to copy text from a
    >> webpage. We basically have a table for products information which i need
    >> to protect as much as possible.

    > Take a screenshot of it, and post it as an image, like so:
    > http://www.thestingray.net/agree3.htm

    True, but if someone wanted it anyway, all they'd need to do is print it
    and scan it with OCR software...

+ Reply to Thread