Strange problem using Firefox with CNN Video - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Strange problem using Firefox with CNN Video - Mozilla ; All: I have a strange problem that I have been working on for a few weeks and cannot figure out an answer, hence I'll turn here with hopes someone can help me with this. If I use CNN.com on my ...

  1. Strange problem using Firefox with CNN Video

    All:

    I have a strange problem that I have been working on for a few weeks
    and cannot figure out an answer, hence I'll turn here with hopes
    someone can help me with this.

    If I use CNN.com on my desktop computer and play video, the following
    Windows Media based Player launches, and has full functionality; I can
    pause, raise or lower volume, etc. Click here to see the screen shot:

    http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeq1e79/s...res/cnnwmp.jpg

    However, if I watch CNN Video using Firefox on my laptop, a different
    sot of media player launches, still based on Windows Media Player. It
    is identical to the one that launches when using IE and looks like the
    following Screen Shot:

    http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeq1e79/s...ctures/cnn.jpg

    This player has no functionality within Firefox; I cannot pause, raise
    or lower volume, etc.

    Both computers have the latest Flask, Java, etc. I have tried to
    standardize them as much as possible, but I cannot get my laptop to
    play these Video's in the manner my desktop PC does. I believe it is
    an ASX file extension and to the best I can tell, Windows Media Player
    is configured for ASX on both computers in question. I have tried to
    compare plugins and extensions, and everything looks identical. Does
    anyone have any suggestions on what maybe the cause?

    Thank you in advance.

    Brooks

  2. Re: Strange problem using Firefox with CNN Video

    I believe it is not a question of the behavior of Firefox Vs that of your
    desktop. It actually has to do with how Internet Explorer and Firefox handle
    multimedia content!

    Some websites, especially those with multimedia content, like CNN.com,
    MSNBC.com, also certain BBC.co,uk, always work best with Internet Explorer.
    AFAIK, this has to do with the way the coding is done on the sites. I do
    some heavy news-reading daily and use both browsers (also IE7 Beta).

    I am sure, if you were to check out CNN.com on your laptop using Internet
    Explorer, the media-player would have the same functionality in playing
    content as your desktop. I am assuming you are on a Windows platform.

    I am not an expert in any way, I am posting this from my own experience! I
    know Firefox is way out more convenient, and better, to use than IE, or even
    IE7 Beta for that matter, but the IE-centric World Wide Web has some ways to
    go before everything is accessible by all major browsers out there with full
    and equal functionality.

    I understand there are workarounds available by registry, mediaplayer, and
    Firefox tweaks, but I prefer to use what works best for different sites!

    HTH

    SafeHex
    -------------

    wrote in message
    news:1149797167.555955.244890@c74g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > All:
    >
    > I have a strange problem that I have been working on for a few weeks
    > and cannot figure out an answer, hence I'll turn here with hopes
    > someone can help me with this.
    >
    > If I use CNN.com on my desktop computer and play video, the following
    > Windows Media based Player launches, and has full functionality; I can
    > pause, raise or lower volume, etc. Click here to see the screen shot:
    >
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeq1e79/s...res/cnnwmp.jpg
    >
    > However, if I watch CNN Video using Firefox on my laptop, a different
    > sot of media player launches, still based on Windows Media Player. It
    > is identical to the one that launches when using IE and looks like the
    > following Screen Shot:
    >
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeq1e79/s...ctures/cnn.jpg
    >
    > This player has no functionality within Firefox; I cannot pause, raise
    > or lower volume, etc.
    >
    > Both computers have the latest Flask, Java, etc. I have tried to
    > standardize them as much as possible, but I cannot get my laptop to
    > play these Video's in the manner my desktop PC does. I believe it is
    > an ASX file extension and to the best I can tell, Windows Media Player
    > is configured for ASX on both computers in question. I have tried to
    > compare plugins and extensions, and everything looks identical. Does
    > anyone have any suggestions on what maybe the cause?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    >
    > Brooks

  3. Re: Strange problem using Firefox with CNN Video

    Thanks for the reply, but in either environment, the CNN Video works
    fine in IE, it is just different in Firefox,,, still searching

    BWP

  4. Re: Strange problem using Firefox with CNN Video

    On 6/8/2006 1:06 PM Pacific Time, brookswhitmoreparker@gmail.com wrote
    thusly:
    > All:
    >
    > I have a strange problem that I have been working on for a few weeks
    > and cannot figure out an answer, hence I'll turn here with hopes
    > someone can help me with this.
    >
    > If I use CNN.com on my desktop computer and play video, the following
    > Windows Media based Player launches, and has full functionality; I can
    > pause, raise or lower volume, etc. Click here to see the screen shot:
    >
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeq1e79/s...res/cnnwmp.jpg
    >
    > However, if I watch CNN Video using Firefox on my laptop, a different
    > sot of media player launches, still based on Windows Media Player. It
    > is identical to the one that launches when using IE and looks like the
    > following Screen Shot:
    >
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeq1e79/s...ctures/cnn.jpg
    >
    > This player has no functionality within Firefox; I cannot pause, raise
    > or lower volume, etc.
    >
    > Both computers have the latest Flask, Java, etc. I have tried to
    > standardize them as much as possible, but I cannot get my laptop to
    > play these Video's in the manner my desktop PC does. I believe it is
    > an ASX file extension and to the best I can tell, Windows Media Player
    > is configured for ASX on both computers in question. I have tried to
    > compare plugins and extensions, and everything looks identical. Does
    > anyone have any suggestions on what maybe the cause?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    >
    > Brooks

    Brooks,
    ou might want to check out an extension called
    "MediaPlayerConnectivity" to see if that would accomplish what you want.
    I'm using that now and it solved my problems with CNN videos in
    Firefox. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/446/

    Barbara

  5. Re: Strange problem using Firefox with CNN Video

    brookswhitmoreparker@gmail.com a băgat versurile::
    > All:
    >
    > I have a strange problem that I have been working on for a few weeks
    > and cannot figure out an answer, hence I'll turn here with hopes
    > someone can help me with this.
    >
    > If I use CNN.com on my desktop computer and play video, the following
    > Windows Media based Player launches, and has full functionality; I can
    > pause, raise or lower volume, etc. Click here to see the screen shot:
    >
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeq1e79/s...res/cnnwmp.jpg
    >
    > However, if I watch CNN Video using Firefox on my laptop, a different
    > sot of media player launches, still based on Windows Media Player. It
    > is identical to the one that launches when using IE and looks like the
    > following Screen Shot:
    >
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeq1e79/s...ctures/cnn.jpg
    >
    > This player has no functionality within Firefox; I cannot pause, raise
    > or lower volume, etc.
    >
    > Both computers have the latest Flask, Java, etc. I have tried to
    > standardize them as much as possible, but I cannot get my laptop to
    > play these Video's in the manner my desktop PC does. I believe it is
    > an ASX file extension and to the best I can tell, Windows Media Player
    > is configured for ASX on both computers in question. I have tried to
    > compare plugins and extensions, and everything looks identical. Does
    > anyone have any suggestions on what maybe the cause?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    >
    > Brooks
    >

    > ---
    > avast! Antivirus: Primit mesaj curat.
    > Baza de date virusi (VPS): 0623-4, 09/06/2006
    > Testat in: 11/06/2006 23.24.17

    I think you have IE Tab extension on your desktop's firefox and you
    put that cnn.com to always open with IE Tab. I could be wrong but that
    is my guess!

    ---
    avast! Antivirus: Trimis mesaj curat.
    Baza de date virusi (VPS): 0623-4, 09/06/2006
    Testat in: 11/06/2006 23.27.21