Hello guys check this out - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Hello guys check this out - Mozilla ; Download this really useful firefox extension It does work well http://oneclik.communitytoolbars.com...

  1. Hello guys check this out

    Download this really useful firefox extension
    It does work well

    http://oneclik.communitytoolbars.com

  2. Re: Hello guys check this out

    _prabhuraaman@gmail.com_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 9:28 AM:
    > Download this really useful firefox extension
    > It does work well
    >
    > http://oneclik.communitytoolbars.com

    Before people go thinking this is spam, how about providing a
    description of the extension? :-)
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: Hello guys check this out

    prabhuraaman@gmail.com wrote, on 6/8/2006 9:28 AM:
    > Download this really useful firefox extension
    > It does work well
    >
    > http://oneclik.communitytoolbars.com

    I wouldn't go out on the limb and call this a "firefox extension". It's
    a toolbar. Just because it can be installed in FF doesn't make it an
    extension.

    And I'm sorry, but I think this *is* spam... Check out the small link
    at the bottom of the page that says "an EffectiveBrand toolbar".
    Clicking on it takes you to the parent site where you can find a "Quick
    FAQ" that includes the question "Why is the EffectiveBrand toolbar
    builder free?". Their answer? "EffectiveBrand earns some revenue from
    searches so that we can continue to provide amazing tools at no cost to
    the public."

    Anyone, and I mean anyone can create their own version of a toolbar
    through the parent site. Just for kicks (and using a fake e-mail
    address) I made my own in about 2 minutes. If you want, you can
    download it at: http://biteme.ourtoolbar.com/
    :-)

    If you use "their" search engine, you can get credits that can be
    exchanged for ad placement on their results pages...

    Other thoughts/comments:
    Interesting that the system requirements clearly state:
    "Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0+"

    Yes, there's a link for FF instructions, but... Also, the description
    mentions "installing a simple active-x control" and one of the features
    clearly states "(IE only)".

  4. Re: Hello guys check this out

    On 08.06.2006 18:19, Ken Wagner wrote:

    > And I'm sorry, but I think this *is* spam... Check out the small link
    > at the bottom of the page that says "an EffectiveBrand toolbar".
    > Clicking on it takes you to the parent site where you can find a "Quick
    > FAQ" that includes the question "Why is the EffectiveBrand toolbar
    > builder free?". Their answer? "EffectiveBrand earns some revenue from
    > searches so that we can continue to provide amazing tools at no cost to
    > the public."

    Right, spam. Toolbars from unknown sources often contain trojans and
    other malware that installs silently along with the toolbar.

    Jay

  5. Re: Hello guys check this out

    On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:19:20 -0400, Ken Wagner wrote:

    > And I'm sorry, but I think this *is* spam... Check out the small link
    > at the bottom of the page that says "an EffectiveBrand toolbar".
    > Clicking on it takes you to the parent site where you can find a "Quick
    > FAQ" that includes the question "Why is the EffectiveBrand toolbar
    > builder free?". Their answer? "EffectiveBrand earns some revenue from
    > searches so that we can continue to provide amazing tools at no cost to
    > the public."

    EffectiveBrand toolbar extensions were banned from addons.mozilla.org
    until they removed their spyware/phone-home code. Only those EB toolbars
    that have been sanitized have been allowed back on A.M.O. If you don't
    see it listed there, I would suggest a wee bit of paranoia on your part.

    Phil

    --
    Philip Chee ,
    [ ]I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.

  6. Re: Hello guys check this out

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 08.06.2006 18:19, Ken Wagner wrote:

    See my and Adam's post in a.p.s.

    (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.p...c81d7f0d54cd68)
    Short Version: (http://tinyurl.com/odsxt)

    And from Mike Burgess, Microsoft MVP - Internet Security

    communitytoolbars.com = effectivebrand.com
    http://whois.domaintools.com/communitytoolbars.com

    > From my HOSTS file:

    # [Effective-i][Ronen Shilo][Platforma Online Ltd]
    127.0.0.1 users.effectivebrand.com #[SunBelt.IEMenuExtension Toolbar]
    127.0.0.1 www.effectivebrand.com #[ADW_IMENEXT.A][Adware.IEMenuExt]
    127.0.0.1 www.thesearchaccelerator.com
    #[Ewido.Spyware.EffectiveBrandToolbar]
    127.0.0.1 www.similarplus.com
    127.0.0.1 download.ucmore.com #[Adware.UCMore]
    127.0.0.1 users.ucmore.com #[Adware-UCMore.dr][F-Secure.UCmore]
    127.0.0.1 sponsor2.ucmore.com #[IEMenuExtension Toolbar]
    127.0.0.1 www.ucmore.com #[ADW_IMENEXT.A][Sophos.UCMore]
    127.0.0.1 www.ucmore.net
    127.0.0.1 www.ucmoreinfo.com

    Note: communitytoolbars.com redirects to effectivebrand.com ... so
    users of my HOSTS file are safe and access is blocked.

    The "oneclik." is a sub-domain that CommunityToolbars let's users
    create a downloadable Toolbar ... there are many many sub-domains:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...oolbars.com%22

    Effectivebrand also runs several other portals that promote creating
    Toolbars for users to distribute ... yes they call home
    (users.effectivebrand.com)
    http://www.domaintools.com/reverse-i...tytoolbars.com

    As I (Ron) said, keeping Javascript disabled solves a lot of problems.

    Ron

  7. Re: Hello guys check this out

    On 09.06.2006 04:07 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ron
    Lopshire to generate the following:? :

    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >
    >> On 08.06.2006 18:19, Ken Wagner wrote:

    hmmmmm - must say Ron! You've been to a *lot of* dodgy places.... :-P

    reg

  8. Re: Hello guys check this out

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 09.06.2006 04:07 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ron
    > Lopshire to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 08.06.2006 18:19, Ken Wagner wrote:

    Not too many, my wife keeps me on a short leash.

    Here is the link to the HOSTS file to which Mike was referring.

    HOSTS File - MVPs
    (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm)

    Ron

+ Reply to Thread