No alt description in FF browser - Mozilla

This is a discussion on No alt description in FF browser - Mozilla ; Hiya everyone Despite setting up the alt commands in my website, they are not displaying in FF, but do so in IE6. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Thanks Gavin...

  1. No alt description in FF browser

    Hiya everyone

    Despite setting up the alt commands in my website, they are not displaying
    in FF, but do so in IE6.

    Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

    Thanks

    Gavin

  2. Re: No alt description in FF browser

    On 08/06/06 14:01, Gavin Webb Scribbled:
    > Hiya everyone
    >
    > Despite setting up the alt commands in my website, they are not displaying
    > in FF, but do so in IE6.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gavin

    Are you talking about when you hover your mouse over the image? that
    is what *title* is for, alt is alternative text if the image does
    not load.

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    Kieren aka JediFans -

  3. Re: No alt description in FF browser

    Jedi Fans wrote:
    >> Despite setting up the alt commands in my website, they are not displaying
    >> in FF, but do so in IE6.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
    >>

    > Are you talking about when you hover your mouse over the image? that
    > is what *title* is for, alt is alternative text if the image does
    > not load.

    Absolutely true. However, it might help the OP to know that legacy
    browsers wrongly used the ALT attribute for this, and that some browsers
    (like IE6) give the user the option of enabling this legacy behaviour.

  4. Re: No alt description in FF browser

    Gavin Webb wrote:
    > Hiya everyone
    >
    > Despite setting up the alt commands in my website, they are not displaying
    > in FF, but do so in IE6.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gavin

    See the thread title "Viewing Alt" posted just last night.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson Boulder, CO

  5. Re: No alt description in FF browser

    _Gavin Webb_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 9:01 AM:

    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...2a27951f461a1/
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  6. Re: No alt description in FF browser

    Gavin - look at the response given by Chris Iliaso to "Viewing Alt" - just
    below your post.

    "Gavin Webb" wrote in message
    news:WqudnW4_ZeIIghXZnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Hiya everyone
    >
    > Despite setting up the alt commands in my website, they are not displaying
    > in FF, but do so in IE6.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gavin

  7. Re: No alt description in FF browser

    On 6/8/2006 12:42 PM Pacific Time, John wrote thusly:
    > Gavin - look at the response given by Chris Iliaso to "Viewing Alt" - just
    > below your post.
    >
    > "Gavin Webb" wrote in message
    > news:WqudnW4_ZeIIghXZnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Hiya everyone
    >>
    >> Despite setting up the alt commands in my website, they are not displaying
    >> in FF, but do so in IE6.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Gavin

    There is a Firefox extension called "Popup Alt Attribute" that will
    display the ALT tag information in the browser.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1933/

    Barbara

  8. Re: No alt description in FF browser

    "Jedi Fans" <"news[at]jedifans[-=dot=-]com"> wrote in message
    > On 08/06/06 14:01, Gavin Webb Scribbled:
    > > Hiya everyone
    > >
    > > Despite setting up the alt commands in my website, they are not

    displaying
    > > in FF, but do so in IE6.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Gavin
    > >

    > Are you talking about when you hover your mouse over the image? that
    > is what *title* is for, alt is alternative text if the image does
    > not load.
    >
    > --
    > Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    > Kieren aka JediFans -
    > [ SUSE Linux 10.1 || JediLinux 0.2 ]

    Jedi

    Acknowledging the rule for Alt, is there a way (other than using flash which
    I've not yet managed to teach myself) where upon hovering over a hotspot on
    a map, for example, text appears.

    Thanks

    Gavin.

  9. Re: No alt description in FF browser

    "Gavin Webb" wrote in message
    news:AbOdnUEK47Gn6xfZnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    > "Jedi Fans" <"news[at]jedifans[-=dot=-]com"> wrote in message
    > > On 08/06/06 14:01, Gavin Webb Scribbled:
    > > > Hiya everyone
    > > >
    > > > Despite setting up the alt commands in my website, they are not

    > displaying
    > > > in FF, but do so in IE6.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > Gavin
    > > >

    > > Are you talking about when you hover your mouse over the image? that
    > > is what *title* is for, alt is alternative text if the image does
    > > not load.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    > > Kieren aka JediFans -
    > > [ SUSE Linux 10.1 || JediLinux 0.2 ]

    > Jedi
    >
    > Acknowledging the rule for Alt, is there a way (other than using flash

    which
    > I've not yet managed to teach myself) where upon hovering over a hotspot

    on
    > a map, for example, text appears.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gavin.

    Sorry, seen the new posts - post didn't update when express loaded up.

    Cheers

    Gavin.

  10. Re: No alt description in FF browser

    On 10.06.2006 02:35, Gavin Webb wrote:

    > "Jedi Fans" <"news[at]jedifans[-=dot=-]com"> wrote in message
    >> On 08/06/06 14:01, Gavin Webb Scribbled:
    >> > Hiya everyone
    >> >
    >> > Despite setting up the alt commands in my website, they are not

    > displaying
    >> > in FF, but do so in IE6.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > Gavin
    >> >

    >> Are you talking about when you hover your mouse over the image? that
    >> is what *title* is for, alt is alternative text if the image does
    >> not load.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    >> Kieren aka JediFans -
    >> [ SUSE Linux 10.1 || JediLinux 0.2 ]

    > Jedi
    >
    > Acknowledging the rule for Alt, is there a way (other than using flash which
    > I've not yet managed to teach myself) where upon hovering over a hotspot on
    > a map, for example, text appears.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gavin.

    Use the "title" attribute along with "alt".

    what the image is

    Same for urls, etc.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  11. Re: No alt description in FF browser

    "Jay Garcia" wrote in message
    news:yYednZ73KY8wIhfZnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 10.06.2006 02:35, Gavin Webb wrote:

    Thanks everyone for your help. There is a slight glitch in that I have a
    browser error in that Netscape doesn't like the title tag. Is this just one
    of those things. I'm trying to make my site as friendly as possible with as
    many sites as possible.

    Thanks

    Gavin.

  12. Re: No alt description in FF browser

    Gavin Webb wrote:
    > Thanks everyone for your help. There is a slight glitch in that I have a
    > browser error in that Netscape doesn't like the title tag. Is this just one
    > of those things. I'm trying to make my site as friendly as possible with as
    > many sites as possible.

    Only Netscape 4 and its predecessors don't support TITLE. If your site
    will attract enough users of obsolete browsers that this concerns you,
    use both ALT and TITLE.

+ Reply to Thread