Any problems with Quicktime? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Any problems with Quicktime? - Mozilla ; I've had problems in the past with RealPlayer taking over other files. Right now all I have is Windows Media Player. Does Quicktime behave, or are there caveats I should know about? thanks...

  1. Any problems with Quicktime?

    I've had problems in the past with RealPlayer taking over other files.
    Right now all I have is Windows Media Player. Does Quicktime behave, or
    are there caveats I should know about?
    thanks

  2. Re: Any problems with Quicktime?

    _richard_ spoke thusly on 07/06/2006 8:23 PM:
    > I've had problems in the past with RealPlayer taking over other files.
    > Right now all I have is Windows Media Player. Does Quicktime behave, or
    > are there caveats I should know about?

    No problems here.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: Any problems with Quicktime?

    Q wrote:

    > richard wrote in
    > :
    >

    >>I've had problems in the past with RealPlayer taking over other
    >>files. Right now all I have is Windows Media Player. Does
    >>Quicktime behave, or are there caveats I should know about?

    > The QT installer has a file types dialog which will let you specify
    > which to associate with it. You can get back to it via QT's options
    > after installing, if you want to. I haven't seen it grab associations
    > it wasn't supposed to, but a lot of the boxes are checked by default.
    >
    > Unless you want iTunes installed as well, get the QT standalone
    > installer, which isn't quite as easy to find on Apple's site.

    OR, get Quicktime Alternative:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #1: How come the users can find all the
    computer bugs and not the programmers or analysts?

  4. Re: Any problems with Quicktime?

    Q wrote:
    > richard wrote in
    > :
    >
    >> I've had problems in the past with RealPlayer taking over other
    >> files. Right now all I have is Windows Media Player. Does
    >> Quicktime behave, or are there caveats I should know about?

    > The QT installer has a file types dialog which will let you specify
    > which to associate with it. You can get back to it via QT's options
    > after installing, if you want to. I haven't seen it grab associations
    > it wasn't supposed to, but a lot of the boxes are checked by default.
    >
    > Unless you want iTunes installed as well, get the QT standalone
    > installer, which isn't quite as easy to find on Apple's site.

    Thanks, Q. I do not want ITunes, so appreciate the reference.

  5. Re: Any problems with Quicktime?

    _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 2:26 AM:
    > Q wrote:
    >
    >> Unless you want iTunes installed as well, get the QT standalone
    >> installer, which isn't quite as easy to find on Apple's site.
    >>

    > OR, get Quicktime Alternative:
    > http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

    QT Alternative does not handle some of the technologies, that the real
    version does. Besides, the real QT is a well behaved app.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  6. Re: Any problems with Quicktime?

    On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 11:45:18 -0400, richard
    wrote:

    >Q wrote:
    >> richard wrote in
    >> :
    >>
    >>> I've had problems in the past with RealPlayer taking over other
    >>> files. Right now all I have is Windows Media Player. Does
    >>> Quicktime behave, or are there caveats I should know about?

    >> The QT installer has a file types dialog which will let you specify
    >> which to associate with it. You can get back to it via QT's options
    >> after installing, if you want to. I haven't seen it grab associations
    >> it wasn't supposed to, but a lot of the boxes are checked by default.
    >>
    >> Unless you want iTunes installed as well, get the QT standalone
    >> installer, which isn't quite as easy to find on Apple's site.
    >>

    >Thanks, Q. I do not want ITunes, so appreciate the reference.

    I have installed the standalone QT but I get an error message every
    time it tries to start. I have un-installed and re-installed QT
    without avail. I still get the message "QuickTime failed to
    initialize. Error # 0. Please make sure QT is properly installed on
    this compputer." Any suggestions?

  7. Re: Any problems with Quicktime?

    Kyle Jones wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 11:45:18 -0400, richard
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Q wrote:
    >>> richard wrote in
    >>> :

    >>> The QT installer has a file types dialog which will let you specify
    >>> which to associate with it. You can get back to it via QT's options
    >>> after installing, if you want to. I haven't seen it grab associations
    >>> it wasn't supposed to, but a lot of the boxes are checked by default.
    >>>
    >>> Unless you want iTunes installed as well, get the QT standalone
    >>> installer, which isn't quite as easy to find on Apple's site.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, Q. I do not want ITunes, so appreciate the reference.

    > I have installed the standalone QT but I get an error message every
    > time it tries to start. I have un-installed and re-installed QT
    > without avail. I still get the message "QuickTime failed to
    > initialize. Error # 0. Please make sure QT is properly installed on
    > this compputer." Any suggestions?

    Try Quick Time Alternative (free)
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    Managing TB Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile
    Managing FF Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

+ Reply to Thread