Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 (2006050817) erased my profile? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 (2006050817) erased my profile? - Mozilla ; Today my Firefox automatically downloaded a security update, Firefox 1.5.0.4 (2006050817)was installed today (automatically)and at the same time, MediaPlayerConnectivity prompted for answers (which I cancelled out of.) When Firefox had booted, all of my links and bookmarks were gone and ...

  1. Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 (2006050817) erased my profile?

    Today my Firefox automatically downloaded a security update, Firefox
    1.5.0.4 (2006050817)was installed today (automatically)and at the same
    time, MediaPlayerConnectivity prompted for answers (which I cancelled out
    of.)

    When Firefox had booted, all of my links and bookmarks were gone and the
    home page was Firefox. It still knows passwords to sites and accounts and
    still has the history.

    I looked at the profile folder and it's new from today, so the old one must
    have been deleted.

    Is there anyway to retrieve the old links?

    Thanks

    Tony

  2. Re: Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 (2006050817) erased my profile?

    On 07/06/06 20:38, 7h95g Scribbled:
    > Today my Firefox automatically downloaded a security update, Firefox
    > 1.5.0.4 (2006050817)was installed today (automatically)and at the same
    > time, MediaPlayerConnectivity prompted for answers (which I cancelled out
    > of.)
    >
    > When Firefox had booted, all of my links and bookmarks were gone and the
    > home page was Firefox. It still knows passwords to sites and accounts and
    > still has the history.
    >
    > I looked at the profile folder and it's new from today, so the old one must
    > have been deleted.
    >
    > Is there anyway to retrieve the old links?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tony

    - "Lost Bookmarks" under Firefox FAQ

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    Kieren aka JediFans -

  3. Re: Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 (2006050817) erased my profile?

    7h95g wrote:
    > Today my Firefox automatically downloaded a security update, Firefox
    > 1.5.0.4 (2006050817)was installed today (automatically)and at the same
    > time, MediaPlayerConnectivity prompted for answers (which I cancelled out
    > of.)
    >
    > When Firefox had booted, all of my links and bookmarks were gone and the
    > home page was Firefox. It still knows passwords to sites and accounts and
    > still has the history.
    >
    > I looked at the profile folder and it's new from today, so the old one must
    > have been deleted.
    >
    > Is there anyway to retrieve the old links?

    There might be. You should read this article and see if anything there
    helps you:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks

  4. Re: Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 (2006050817) erased my profile?

    7h95g wrote:
    > Today my Firefox automatically downloaded a security update, Firefox
    > 1.5.0.4 (2006050817)was installed today (automatically)and at the same
    > time, MediaPlayerConnectivity prompted for answers (which I cancelled out
    > of.)
    >
    > When Firefox had booted, all of my links and bookmarks were gone and the
    > home page was Firefox. It still knows passwords to sites and accounts and
    > still has the history.
    >
    > I looked at the profile folder and it's new from today, so the old one must
    > have been deleted.
    >
    > Is there anyway to retrieve the old links?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tony

    If you go to docs and settings and to mozilla\firefox...then to the
    profiles\bookmarkbackups, you should see maybe the last five backups
    for your bookmarks.
    You need to copy the latest one up to the profile folder and delete any
    other bookmark files you see. Then rename the one you copied to
    read...bookmarks.html and restart firefox and hopefully you will be home
    again.

  5. Re: Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 (2006050817) erased my profile?

    burris in

    > 7h95g wrote:
    >> Today my Firefox automatically downloaded a security update, Firefox
    >> 1.5.0.4 (2006050817)was installed today (automatically)and at the
    >> same time, MediaPlayerConnectivity prompted for answers (which I
    >> cancelled out of.)
    >>
    >> When Firefox had booted, all of my links and bookmarks were gone and
    >> the home page was Firefox. It still knows passwords to sites and
    >> accounts and still has the history.
    >>
    >> I looked at the profile folder and it's new from today, so the old
    >> one must have been deleted.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to retrieve the old links?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Tony

    > If you go to docs and settings and to mozilla\firefox...then to the
    > profiles\bookmarkbackups, you should see maybe the last five backups
    > for your bookmarks.
    > You need to copy the latest one up to the profile folder and delete
    > any other bookmark files you see. Then rename the one you copied to
    > read...bookmarks.html and restart firefox and hopefully you will be
    > home again.

    add your profiles to your regular backup schedule :-)

  6. Re: Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 (2006050817) erased my profile?

    Splibbilla wrote:
    > burris in
    >
    >> 7h95g wrote:
    >>> Today my Firefox automatically downloaded a security update, Firefox
    >>> 1.5.0.4 (2006050817)was installed today (automatically)and at the
    >>> same time, MediaPlayerConnectivity prompted for answers (which I
    >>> cancelled out of.)
    >>>
    >>> When Firefox had booted, all of my links and bookmarks were gone and
    >>> the home page was Firefox. It still knows passwords to sites and
    >>> accounts and still has the history.
    >>>
    >>> I looked at the profile folder and it's new from today, so the old
    >>> one must have been deleted.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anyway to retrieve the old links?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Tony

    >> If you go to docs and settings and to mozilla\firefox...then to the
    >> profiles\bookmarkbackups, you should see maybe the last five backups
    >> for your bookmarks.
    >> You need to copy the latest one up to the profile folder and delete
    >> any other bookmark files you see. Then rename the one you copied to
    >> read...bookmarks.html and restart firefox and hopefully you will be
    >> home again.
    >>

    > add your profiles to your regular backup schedule :-)

    In all the years I have used Netscape/Mozilla browsers, and mail/news
    programs I have only ever lost one profile, and that was my own doing be
    deleting the wrong directory with the file manager. The usual cause for
    a 'lost' profile is that a new profile was created when trying to open a
    new instance of the program while an old one wasn't terminated properly.
    Since the update process has no reason to touch a profile, I can see
    little opportunity for it to affect a profile at all. Most likely your
    profile is still on the disk, and still intact.

  7. Re: Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 (2006050817) erased my profile?

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Splibbilla wrote:
    >> burris in

    >>> If you go to docs and settings and to mozilla\firefox...then to the
    >>> profiles\bookmarkbackups, you should see maybe the last five backups
    >>> for your bookmarks.
    >>> You need to copy the latest one up to the profile folder and delete
    >>> any other bookmark files you see. Then rename the one you copied to
    >>> read...bookmarks.html and restart firefox and hopefully you will be
    >>> home again.
    >>>

    >> add your profiles to your regular backup schedule :-)

    > In all the years I have used Netscape/Mozilla browsers, and mail/news
    > programs I have only ever lost one profile, and that was my own doing be
    > deleting the wrong directory with the file manager. The usual cause for
    > a 'lost' profile is that a new profile was created when trying to open a
    > new instance of the program while an old one wasn't terminated properly.
    > Since the update process has no reason to touch a profile, I can see
    > little opportunity for it to affect a profile at all. Most likely your
    > profile is still on the disk, and still intact.

    I too have used Netscape/Mozilla, however with this last update to
    1.5.0.4, my profile also got lost.

    I don't have multiple profiles and do watch this closely.

    I use Mozbackup and was able to reinstall it, but the update does touch
    the profile as it looks for it in the default docs and settings area and
    picks it up from there.

    With respect to the bookmarks, the last couple of Firefox versions seem
    to randomly delete the bookmarks within the profile and create a new
    minimal bookmark file that comes with Firefox. Sometimes just a
    truncated version of the real bookmark file. Of course, as I indicated
    in a previous post, my system seems to keep backing up about 5-6 of the
    current Bookmark files and makes it easy to restore.

    I believe there is some minor glitch somewhere, but for me, it isn't
    serious enough to dig further.

  8. Re: Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 (2006050817) erased my profile?

    burris wrote:

    > I too have used Netscape/Mozilla, however with this last update to
    > 1.5.0.4, my profile also got lost.
    >
    > I don't have multiple profiles and do watch this closely.
    >
    > I use Mozbackup and was able to reinstall it, but the update does touch
    > the profile as it looks for it in the default docs and settings area and
    > picks it up from there.

    why install another extension when your zip program will do just as
    good. Or as Ed would say, use the windows backup program.

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #2: How come programmers find it so easy to
    master the special language that runs computers, yet those same folks

  9. Re: Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 (2006050817) erased my profile?

    gwtc wrote:
    > burris wrote:
    >
    >> I too have used Netscape/Mozilla, however with this last update to
    >> 1.5.0.4, my profile also got lost.
    >>
    >> I don't have multiple profiles and do watch this closely.
    >>
    >> I use Mozbackup and was able to reinstall it, but the update does
    >> touch the profile as it looks for it in the default docs and settings
    >> area and picks it up from there.
    >>

    > why install another extension when your zip program will do just as
    > good. Or as Ed would say, use the windows backup program.

    The MozBackup program I use is not an extension. It is a stand-alone and
    separately backs up Firefox and TB profiles and puts a PCV file into the
    my documents folder. The restore works through the same program. If
    desired, the PCV file can be renamed to Zip and will work accordingly.

    I've never been a big fan of the Windows backup program.

  10. Re: Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 -- Getting my Search Bar back

    burris wrote in

    > If you go to docs and settings and to mozilla\firefox...then to the
    > profiles\bookmarkbackups, you should see maybe the last five backups
    > for your bookmarks.
    > You need to copy the latest one up to the profile folder and delete
    > any other bookmark files you see. Then rename the one you copied to
    > read...bookmarks.html and restart firefox and hopefully you will be
    > home again.

    Thanks, I did that and it fixed it. Now the only problem left is that
    Firefox not only forgot the search engines, Amazon, Ebay, IMDB, Wikipedia
    etc that I had in the Search Bar, I can't get them back.

    I go to "add engines", https://addons.mozilla.org/search-engines.php,
    and select them "add the following search engine to the Search Bar?" but
    Forefox doesn't take them, let alone remember them. Strangly, Amazon and
    Ebay are now missing from the list of search engines.

    Any help greatly appreciated,

    Tony

  11. Re: Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 -- Getting my Search Bar back

    _7h95g_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 6:45 PM:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Search_eng...rom_Search_Bar
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  12. Re: Security update Firefox 1.5.0.4 -- Getting my Search Bar back

    Chris Ilias wrote in

    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Search_eng...rom_Search_Bar

    Thank you so much. Fixed it.

+ Reply to Thread