NO Video with 1.5.0.4! - Mozilla

This is a discussion on NO Video with 1.5.0.4! - Mozilla ; Stephen Fox wrote: > Chris Ilias wrote: >> _FancyOne_ spoke thusly on 06/06/2006 11:10 PM: >>> My computer updated Firefox and now the few videos I used to get >>> won't work at all! Are there any fixes? Where are ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

  1. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _FancyOne_ spoke thusly on 06/06/2006 11:10 PM:
    >>> My computer updated Firefox and now the few videos I used to get
    >>> won't work at all! Are there any fixes? Where are they? If not, I'll
    >>> just go back to the last version because this is crap! I like Firefox
    >>> but why don't they get this stuff right before they call it an
    >>> upgrade. It's a mess!!!!!!!!!

    >>
    >> I've had no problems with videos in 1.5.0.4. What videos are you
    >> having trouble with? Post a URL, so we can test.

    > Chris,
    >
    > I've had trouble with a site that tells me I don't have WMP on my
    > computer (can't detect, it says). Soon as my contact sends the URL,
    > I'll post it to you for testing. Using 1.5.0.4 on a new Windows machine
    > with WMP clearly installed (latest version).
    >
    > Steve


    Here's the URL: http://cycling.tv/

    It says WMP not detected. I had just downloaded and installed WMP 11
    beta. (But it said that when I only had WMP 10.)

    This site seems to work on my Mac (OS 10.4.6).

    Why the heck doesn't it work here (Windows XP, FF 1.5.0.4, Dell Inspiron
    9300)?????? This is the computer I NEED it to work on.

    Thanks.

    Steve

  2. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 07/06/2006 8:44 PM:
    > Here's the URL: http://cycling.tv/
    >
    > It says WMP not detected. I had just downloaded and installed WMP 11
    > beta. (But it said that when I only had WMP 10.)
    >
    > This site seems to work on my Mac (OS 10.4.6).
    >
    > Why the heck doesn't it work here (Windows XP, FF 1.5.0.4, Dell Inspiron
    > 9300)?????? This is the computer I NEED it to work on.


    When first go to the URL above, I get this:


    WMP then loads, and I can view the videos.
    Try installing the windows registry patch, linked here:
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  3. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 07/06/2006 8:44 PM:
    >> Here's the URL: http://cycling.tv/
    >>
    >> It says WMP not detected. I had just downloaded and installed WMP 11
    >> beta. (But it said that when I only had WMP 10.)
    >>
    >> This site seems to work on my Mac (OS 10.4.6).
    >>
    >> Why the heck doesn't it work here (Windows XP, FF 1.5.0.4, Dell
    >> Inspiron 9300)?????? This is the computer I NEED it to work on.

    >
    > When first go to the URL above, I get this:
    >
    >
    > WMP then loads, and I can view the videos.
    > Try installing the windows registry patch, linked here:
    > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP


    Simple solution to this problem is to install IE Tab, and view this page
    in IE. The page is very slow to load (with FF or IE), and I suspect
    poorly coded. Why butt heads with a site that is such a mess? Just
    install IE Tab for those sites that are so poorly coded that they will
    only work properly with IE.

  4. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 07/06/2006 8:44 PM:
    >>> Here's the URL: http://cycling.tv/
    >>>
    >>> It says WMP not detected. I had just downloaded and installed WMP 11
    >>> beta. (But it said that when I only had WMP 10.)
    >>>
    >>> This site seems to work on my Mac (OS 10.4.6).
    >>>
    >>> Why the heck doesn't it work here (Windows XP, FF 1.5.0.4, Dell
    >>> Inspiron 9300)?????? This is the computer I NEED it to work on.

    >>
    >> When first go to the URL above, I get this:
    >>
    >>
    >> WMP then loads, and I can view the videos.
    >> Try installing the windows registry patch, linked here:
    >> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    >
    > Simple solution to this problem is to install IE Tab, and view this page
    > in IE. The page is very slow to load (with FF or IE), and I suspect
    > poorly coded. Why butt heads with a site that is such a mess? Just
    > install IE Tab for those sites that are so poorly coded that they will
    > only work properly with IE.

    What is "IE Tab" and where can it be found?

    Steve

  5. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    Stephen Fox wrote:

    >Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>>_Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 07/06/2006 8:44 PM:
    >>>>Here's the url: http://cycling.tv/
    >>>>
    >>>>It says WMP not detected. I had just downloaded and installed WMP 11
    >>>>beta. (But it said that when I only had WMP 10.)
    >>>>
    >>>>This site seems to work on my Mac (OS 10.4.6).
    >>>>
    >>>>Why the heck doesn't it work here (Windows XP, FF 1.5.0.4, Dell Inspiron
    >>>>9300)?????? This is the computer I NEED it to work on.
    >>>
    >>>When first go to the URL above, I get this:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>WMP then loads, and I can view the videos.
    >>>Try installing the windows registry patch, linked here:
    >>>http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    >>
    >>Simple solution to this problem is to install IE Tab, and view this page
    >>in IE. The page is very slow to load (with FF or IE), and I suspect
    >>poorly coded. Why butt heads with a site that is such a mess? Just
    >>install IE Tab for those sites that are so poorly coded that they will
    >>only work properly with IE.

    >What is "IE Tab" and where can it be found?
    >
    >Steve


    IE Tab is an extension with which you can embed IE in a FF tab. See
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/ for more details.

    Ekko
    --


  6. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 07/06/2006 8:44 PM:
    >>>> Here's the URL: http://cycling.tv/
    >>>>
    >>>> It says WMP not detected. I had just downloaded and installed WMP
    >>>> 11 beta. (But it said that when I only had WMP 10.)
    >>>>
    >>>> This site seems to work on my Mac (OS 10.4.6).
    >>>>
    >>>> Why the heck doesn't it work here (Windows XP, FF 1.5.0.4, Dell
    >>>> Inspiron 9300)?????? This is the computer I NEED it to work on.
    >>>
    >>> When first go to the URL above, I get this:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> WMP then loads, and I can view the videos.
    >>> Try installing the windows registry patch, linked here:
    >>> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    >>
    >> Simple solution to this problem is to install IE Tab, and view this
    >> page in IE. The page is very slow to load (with FF or IE), and I
    >> suspect poorly coded. Why butt heads with a site that is such a
    >> mess? Just install IE Tab for those sites that are so poorly coded
    >> that they will only work properly with IE.

    > What is "IE Tab" and where can it be found?
    >
    > Steve

    Just click on Tools/extensions/get more extensions. Then search the
    site for IE Tab. Great extension!

  7. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    _Ron Hunter_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 3:27 AM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> WMP then loads, and I can view the videos.
    >> Try installing the windows registry patch, linked here:
    >> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    >
    > Simple solution to this problem is to install IE Tab, and view this page
    > in IE.



    Even more simple: just switch to IE.


    The videos work here, so it is not IE-only code.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  8. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Ron Hunter_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 3:27 AM:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> WMP then loads, and I can view the videos.
    >>> Try installing the windows registry patch, linked here:
    >>> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    >>
    >> Simple solution to this problem is to install IE Tab, and view this
    >> page in IE.

    >
    >
    > Even more simple: just switch to IE.
    >

    >
    > The videos work here, so it is not IE-only code.


    Since IE Tab is such a useful extension, and the OP seems unable to
    resolve his problem with getting the video to work on his computer
    (doesn't work on mine either), why not just use the solution already at
    hand? Using IE means giving up the FF user interface, passwords, and
    other accumulate conveniences, such as bookmarks. I think that matters.

  9. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    _Ron Hunter_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 7:29 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Ron Hunter_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 3:27 AM:
    >>> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> WMP then loads, and I can view the videos.
    >>>> Try installing the windows registry patch, linked here:
    >>>> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
    >>>
    >>> Simple solution to this problem is to install IE Tab, and view this
    >>> page in IE.

    >>
    >>
    >> Even more simple: just switch to IE.
    >>

    >>
    >> The videos work here, so it is not IE-only code.

    >
    > Since IE Tab is such a useful extension, and the OP seems unable to
    > resolve his problem with getting the video to work on his computer
    > (doesn't work on mine either), why not just use the solution already at
    > hand?


    Unable? Give him a chance to at least try the registry patch.

    > Using IE means giving up the FF user interface, passwords, and
    > other accumulate conveniences, such as bookmarks. I think that matters.


    You may as well recommend Netscape 8.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  10. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Ron Hunter_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 7:29 PM:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> _Ron Hunter_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 3:27 AM:
    >>>> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> WMP then loads, and I can view the videos.
    >>>>> Try installing the windows registry patch, linked here:
    >>>>> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
    >>>>
    >>>> Simple solution to this problem is to install IE Tab, and view this
    >>>> page in IE.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Even more simple: just switch to IE.
    >>>

    >>>
    >>> The videos work here, so it is not IE-only code.

    >>
    >> Since IE Tab is such a useful extension, and the OP seems unable to
    >> resolve his problem with getting the video to work on his computer
    >> (doesn't work on mine either), why not just use the solution already
    >> at hand?

    >
    > Unable? Give him a chance to at least try the registry patch.
    >
    > > Using IE means giving up the FF user interface, passwords, and
    >> other accumulate conveniences, such as bookmarks. I think that matters.

    >
    > You may as well recommend Netscape 8.

    Like I wrote earlier, I got the patch but have no idea what to do with it.

    Steve

  11. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 09/06/2006 11:05 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> Unable? Give him a chance to at least try the registry patch.

    >
    > Like I wrote earlier, I got the patch but have no idea what to do with it.


    Download it to your hard drive, then double-click on it.
    You should get a Registry Editor prompt, asking "Are you sure you want
    to add the information in to the registry?"
    Click on "yes".
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  12. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Ron Hunter_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 7:29 PM:
    >>> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>>> _Ron Hunter_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 3:27 AM:
    >>>>> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> WMP then loads, and I can view the videos.
    >>>>>> Try installing the windows registry patch, linked here:
    >>>>>> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Simple solution to this problem is to install IE Tab, and view this
    >>>>> page in IE.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Even more simple: just switch to IE.
    >>>>

    >>>>
    >>>> The videos work here, so it is not IE-only code.
    >>>
    >>> Since IE Tab is such a useful extension, and the OP seems unable to
    >>> resolve his problem with getting the video to work on his computer
    >>> (doesn't work on mine either), why not just use the solution already
    >>> at hand?

    >>
    >> Unable? Give him a chance to at least try the registry patch.
    >>
    >> > Using IE means giving up the FF user interface, passwords, and
    >>> other accumulate conveniences, such as bookmarks. I think that matters.

    >>
    >> You may as well recommend Netscape 8.

    > Like I wrote earlier, I got the patch but have no idea what to do with it.
    >
    > Steve

    Why deal with NS8 when FF and a simple extension will do the job?
    What patch are you referring to?

  13. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    On 10.06.2006 02:40, Ron Hunter wrote:

    --- Original Message ---

    > Why deal with NS8 when FF and a simple extension will do the job?
    > What patch are you referring to?


    Because NS 8 already has IE Display Engine functionality with just the
    single click of the mouse. Don't have to load IE nor an extension.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  14. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 10.06.2006 02:40, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    > --- Original Message ---
    >
    >> Why deal with NS8 when FF and a simple extension will do the job?
    >> What patch are you referring to?

    >
    > Because NS 8 already has IE Display Engine functionality with just the
    > single click of the mouse. Don't have to load IE nor an extension.
    >

    True, but then it favors the IE engine, doesn't take the FF extensions,
    or themes, and has a much different user interface. IE Tab merely
    allows using the IE function when I want to, but also gives me access to
    the extensions, themes, and other FF user interface features.

  15. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    On 10.06.2006 07:51, Ron Hunter wrote:

    --- Original Message ---

    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 10.06.2006 02:40, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>
    >> --- Original Message ---
    >>
    >>> Why deal with NS8 when FF and a simple extension will do the job?
    >>> What patch are you referring to?

    >>
    >> Because NS 8 already has IE Display Engine functionality with just the
    >> single click of the mouse. Don't have to load IE nor an extension.
    >>

    > True, but then it favors the IE engine, doesn't take the FF extensions,
    > or themes, and has a much different user interface. IE Tab merely
    > allows using the IE function when I want to, but also gives me access to
    > the extensions, themes, and other FF user interface features.


    Doesn't "favor" the IE Engine, only uses the plugin when needed, DOES
    take FF extensions that have been modified (I have several on my UFAQ),
    has some 3rd party themes avaialable, ie., Sky Pilot for one, etc.

    Just like in FF, it takes some volunteer extension and theme authors to
    come forward ...

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  16. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 10.06.2006 07:51, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    > --- Original Message ---
    >
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>> On 10.06.2006 02:40, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>>
    >>> --- Original Message ---
    >>>
    >>>> Why deal with NS8 when FF and a simple extension will do the job?
    >>>> What patch are you referring to?
    >>> Because NS 8 already has IE Display Engine functionality with just the
    >>> single click of the mouse. Don't have to load IE nor an extension.
    >>>

    >> True, but then it favors the IE engine, doesn't take the FF extensions,
    >> or themes, and has a much different user interface. IE Tab merely
    >> allows using the IE function when I want to, but also gives me access to
    >> the extensions, themes, and other FF user interface features.

    >
    > Doesn't "favor" the IE Engine, only uses the plugin when needed, DOES
    > take FF extensions that have been modified (I have several on my UFAQ),
    > has some 3rd party themes avaialable, ie., Sky Pilot for one, etc.
    >
    > Just like in FF, it takes some volunteer extension and theme authors to
    > come forward ...
    >

    Just the point. I see no advantage to it over FF with IE Tab.

  17. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    On 11.06.2006 02:33, Ron Hunter wrote:

    --- Original Message ---

    > Just the point. I see no advantage to it over FF with IE Tab.


    The "Site Controls" feature is worth it just by itself followed by the
    "Multibar" feature and the ability to create/remove/edit profiles from
    within the UI .... and more.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  18. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 11.06.2006 02:33, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    > --- Original Message ---
    >
    >> Just the point. I see no advantage to it over FF with IE Tab.

    >
    > The "Site Controls" feature is worth it just by itself followed by the
    > "Multibar" feature and the ability to create/remove/edit profiles from
    > within the UI .... and more.
    >

    I don't find any of those features suit my needs. The multi-bar only
    takes up space, and I find no need of it. As for profiles, I have one,
    what need do I have for more? Others may find these facilities useful,
    but FF suits my needs much better. Now if it would just let me control
    the size of the bookmark spaces on the personal toolbar.... (without
    recourse to userChrome).

  19. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 09/06/2006 11:05 PM:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> Unable? Give him a chance to at least try the registry patch.

    >>
    >> Like I wrote earlier, I got the patch but have no idea what to do with
    >> it.

    >
    > Download it to your hard drive, then double-click on it.
    > You should get a Registry Editor prompt, asking "Are you sure you want
    > to add the information in to the registry?"
    > Click on "yes".

    Chris,

    Here is what I get for the registry patch - just some text. Don't see
    how to "downlaod" it to my HD:

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ ShimInclusionList\MOZILLA.EXE]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ ShimInclusionList\PHOENIX.EXE]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ ShimInclusionList\MOZILLAFIREBIRD.EXE]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ ShimInclusionList\FIREFOX.EXE]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ ShimInclusionList\SEAMONKEY.EXE]

    Steve

  20. Re: NO Video with 1.5.0.4!

    On 11.06.2006 09:52, Ron Hunter wrote:

    --- Original Message ---

    > I don't find any of those features suit my needs. The multi-bar only
    > takes up space, and I find no need of it. As for profiles, I have one,
    > what need do I have for more? Others may find these facilities useful,
    > but FF suits my needs much better. Now if it would just let me control
    > the size of the bookmark spaces on the personal toolbar.... (without
    > recourse to userChrome).


    I got just the browser for you, "Milquetoast" .. :-)

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast