file:// URLs won't work in Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on file:// URLs won't work in Firefox - Mozilla ; I'm using a number of hyperlinks on an Intranet which refer to documents on a network server. The URLs I'm using have the form: file:// / / .pdf For example: file://common/dldir/file1.pdf They work perfectly in IE, but not in Opera ...

  1. file:// URLs won't work in Firefox

    I'm using a number of hyperlinks on an Intranet which refer to
    documents on a network server. The URLs I'm using have the form:
    file:////.pdf

    For example: file://common/dldir/file1.pdf

    They work perfectly in IE, but not in Opera or Firefox. I found a
    single msg in the newsgroup netscape.public.mozilla.general. They say
    to put these lines into the user.js file (using of course the correct
    domain name):

    user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "offlineok");
    user_pref("capability.policy.offlineok.sites",
    "http://blackboard.uic.edu");
    user_pref("capability.policy.offlineok.checkloaduri.enabled",
    "allAccess");

    but it does not fix the problem. There is no error msg, nothing. How
    can I fix this ?
    pher

  2. Re: file:// URLs won't work in Firefox

    On 06/06/06 08:52, pher Scribbled:
    > I'm using a number of hyperlinks on an Intranet which refer to
    > documents on a network server. The URLs I'm using have the form:
    > file:////.pdf
    >
    > For example: file://common/dldir/file1.pdf
    >
    > They work perfectly in IE, but not in Opera or Firefox. I found a
    > single msg in the newsgroup netscape.public.mozilla.general. They say
    > to put these lines into the user.js file (using of course the correct
    > domain name):
    >
    > user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "offlineok");
    > user_pref("capability.policy.offlineok.sites",
    > "http://blackboard.uic.edu");
    > user_pref("capability.policy.offlineok.checkloaduri.enabled",
    > "allAccess");
    >
    > but it does not fix the problem. There is no error msg, nothing. How
    > can I fix this ?
    > pher

    it is file:/// - three slashes.

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    Kieren aka JediFans -

  3. Re: file:// URLs won't work in Firefox

    hmmm...
    if I put 3 slashes, then it does not work with Internet Explorer.
    Anyway it does not work with Firefox either !
    What's annoying is that there is absolutely no error message, nothing.

    pher

    Jedi Fans wrote:
    > On 06/06/06 08:52, pher Scribbled:
    > > I'm using a number of hyperlinks on an Intranet which refer to
    > > documents on a network server. The URLs I'm using have the form:
    > > file:////.pdf
    > >
    > > For example: file://common/dldir/file1.pdf
    > >
    > > They work perfectly in IE, but not in Opera or Firefox. I found a
    > > single msg in the newsgroup netscape.public.mozilla.general. They say
    > > to put these lines into the user.js file (using of course the correct
    > > domain name):
    > >
    > > user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "offlineok");
    > > user_pref("capability.policy.offlineok.sites",
    > > "http://blackboard.uic.edu");
    > > user_pref("capability.policy.offlineok.checkloaduri.enabled",
    > > "allAccess");
    > >
    > > but it does not fix the problem. There is no error msg, nothing. How
    > > can I fix this ?
    > > pher
    > >

    > it is file:/// - three slashes.
    >
    > --
    > Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    > Kieren aka JediFans -
    > [ SUSE Linux 10.1 || JediLinux 0.2 ]

  4. Re: file:// URLs won't work in Firefox

    On 6 Jun 2006 00:52:06 -0700, in message <1149580326.268556.66680@f6g2000cwb.googlegroups.co m>,
    pher wrote:

    ************************************************** *****^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > I'm using a number of hyperlinks on an Intranet which refer to
    > documents on a network server. The URLs I'm using have the form:
    > file:////.pdf
    >
    > For example: file://common/dldir/file1.pdf

    Have you tried these file URLs directly in the URL bar of Firefox?

    For Firefox in the Windows environment, I believe you may have to
    write these file URLs in this form:
    file:////////.pdf

    For example: file://///common/dldir/file1.pdf

    > They work perfectly in IE, but not in Opera or Firefox. I found a
    > single msg in the newsgroup netscape.public.mozilla.general. They say
    > to put these lines into the user.js file (using of course the correct
    > domain name):
    >
    > user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "offlineok");
    > user_pref("capability.policy.offlineok.sites",
    > "http://blackboard.uic.edu");
    > user_pref("capability.policy.offlineok.checkloaduri.enabled",
    > "allAccess");
    >
    > but it does not fix the problem.

    These settings are to make pages served by a particular
    web server "trusted" to access file URLs. For more on this topic,
    see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_to_l...don&#39;t_work

    These settings do not alter which form of file URLs are understood
    by Firefox, and in particular whether Firefox accepts

    file://common/dldir/file1.pdf
    or
    file://///common/dldir/file1.pdf

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "Curiosity skilled the cat."

  5. Re: file:// URLs won't work in Firefox

    pher wrote:
    > hmmm...
    > if I put 3 slashes, then it does not work with Internet Explorer.
    > Anyway it does not work with Firefox either !
    > What's annoying is that there is absolutely no error message, nothing.

    Try File > Open File and open a file. See what the address in the
    location bar looks like.

  6. Re: file:// URLs won't work in Firefox

    On 6/6/2006 5:17 PM India Time, _Ralph Fox_ wrote:

    > On 6 Jun 2006 00:52:06 -0700, in message <1149580326.268556.66680@f6g2000cwb.googlegroups.co m>,
    > pher wrote:

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> I'm using a number of hyperlinks on an Intranet which refer to
    >> documents on a network server. The URLs I'm using have the form:
    >> file:////.pdf
    >>
    >> For example: file://common/dldir/file1.pdf

    > Have you tried these file URLs directly in the URL bar of Firefox?
    >

    > For Firefox in the Windows environment, I believe you may have to
    > write these file URLs in this form:
    > file:////////.pdf
    >
    > For example: file://///common/dldir/file1.pdf
    >

    >> They work perfectly in IE, but not in Opera or Firefox. I found a
    >> single msg in the newsgroup netscape.public.mozilla.general. They say
    >> to put these lines into the user.js file (using of course the correct
    >> domain name):
    >>
    >> user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "offlineok");
    >> user_pref("capability.policy.offlineok.sites",
    >> "http://blackboard.uic.edu");
    >> user_pref("capability.policy.offlineok.checkloaduri.enabled",
    >> "allAccess");
    >>
    >> but it does not fix the problem.

    > These settings are to make pages served by a particular
    > web server "trusted" to access file URLs. For more on this topic,
    > see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_to_l...don&#39;t_work
    >

    > These settings do not alter which form of file URLs are understood
    > by Firefox, and in particular whether Firefox accepts
    >
    > file://common/dldir/file1.pdf
    > or
    > file://///common/dldir/file1.pdf

    Is there any extension that will put five forward slashes at the press
    of a key?

    :-)
    just kidding.

    --
    Rawat

  7. Re: file:// URLs won't work in Firefox

    On 6/6/2006 4:59 AM, pher wrote:
    > hmmm...
    > if I put 3 slashes, then it does not work with Internet Explorer.
    > Anyway it does not work with Firefox either !
    > What's annoying is that there is absolutely no error message, nothing.
    >
    > pher
    >

    > Jedi Fans wrote:
    >> On 06/06/06 08:52, pher Scribbled:
    >>> I'm using a number of hyperlinks on an Intranet which refer to
    >>> documents on a network server. The URLs I'm using have the form:
    >>> file:////.pdf
    >>>
    >>> For example: file://common/dldir/file1.pdf
    >>>
    >>> They work perfectly in IE, but not in Opera or Firefox. I found a
    >>> single msg in the newsgroup netscape.public.mozilla.general. They say
    >>> to put these lines into the user.js file (using of course the correct
    >>> domain name):
    >>>
    >>> user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "offlineok");
    >>> user_pref("capability.policy.offlineok.sites",
    >>> "http://blackboard.uic.edu");
    >>> user_pref("capability.policy.offlineok.checkloaduri.enabled",
    >>> "allAccess");
    >>>
    >>> but it does not fix the problem. There is no error msg, nothing. How
    >>> can I fix this ?
    >>> pher
    >>>

    >> it is file:/// - three slashes.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    >> Kieren aka JediFans -
    >> [ SUSE Linux 10.1 || JediLinux 0.2 ]

    Works on my system (WinXP Home SP2, Firefox 1.5.0.4) with three slashes. Note
    that I use the full path from the drive letter to the filename. This URL Also
    works in IE6 (Copied and pasted from Firefox address bar to IE6 address bar).

    file:///C:/WebFiles/YANKEE/index.html

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  8. Re: file:// URLs won't work in Firefox

    On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:41:50 +0100, in message ,
    Jedi Fans wrote:

    > > I'm using a number of hyperlinks on an Intranet which refer to
    > > documents on a network server. The URLs I'm using have the form:
    > > file:////.pdf
    > >
    > > For example: file://common/dldir/file1.pdf

    > it is file:/// - three slashes.

    It is three slashes before a file path on the local computer.
    It isn't three slashes for a file on a network server.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "Curiosity skilled the cat."

  9. Re: file:// URLs won't work in Firefox

    On 09.06.2006 04:39, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:41:50 +0100, in message ,
    > Jedi Fans wrote:
    >
    >> > I'm using a number of hyperlinks on an Intranet which refer to
    >> > documents on a network server. The URLs I'm using have the form:
    >> > file:////.pdf
    >> >
    >> > For example: file://common/dldir/file1.pdf

    >> it is file:/// - three slashes.

    > It is three slashes before a file path on the local computer.

    > It isn't three slashes for a file on a network server.

    Yup, it's five, three for the URL/path and two for the unc path to the
    server.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org