temp. disable plugins? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on temp. disable plugins? - Mozilla ; Hello, all. I'm looking for a way to quickly and temporarily disable plugins. Something like safe mode for plugins.... I'm using FF 1.5.0.4 on Windows XP. I first tried to rename the plugins folder and restarting FF, but the plugins ...

  1. temp. disable plugins?

    Hello, all.

    I'm looking for a way to quickly and temporarily disable
    plugins. Something like safe mode for plugins.... I'm using
    FF 1.5.0.4 on Windows XP.

    I first tried to rename the plugins folder and restarting
    FF, but the plugins were found in the application's folder,
    instead of the FF plugins folder. So, a way to disable
    plugins, or disale this searching behavior.

    Thanks,

    --
    WL
    real mail: wliao at sdf loSnPesAtarM org

  2. Re: temp. disable plugins?

    On 05.06.2006 06:58 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused WL to
    generate the following:? :

    >Hello, all.
    >
    >I'm looking for a way to quickly and temporarily disable
    >plugins. Something like safe mode for plugins.... I'm using
    >FF 1.5.0.4 on Windows XP.
    >
    >I first tried to rename the plugins folder and restarting
    >FF, but the plugins were found in the application's folder,
    >instead of the FF plugins folder. So, a way to disable
    >plugins, or disale this searching behavior.
    >
    >Thanks,

    dunno whereabouts in 1.5.** but my 1.0.7 has a plugin list under
    Tools>>Options>>Downloads - there, you can "switch off" any plugin
    temporarilly.

    reg

  3. Re: temp. disable plugins?

    In article ,
    squaredancer <"1 Liberty Square Washinton DC"> wrote:
    >On 05.06.2006 06:58 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused WL to
    >generate the following:? :
    >
    >>I'm looking for a way to quickly and temporarily disable
    >>plugins. Something like safe mode for plugins.... I'm using
    >>FF 1.5.0.4 on Windows XP.
    >>

    >dunno whereabouts in 1.5.** but my 1.0.7 has a plugin list under
    >Tools>>Options>>Downloads - there, you can "switch off" any plugin
    >temporarilly.

    yes, but flipping 20-30 items off and on in a multi-click sequence
    seems way too much work :/

    In playing around with this some more, how does FF know
    where to look for plugins, if there are none in the FF
    plugins folder? How does FF know the plugin is safe for use
    and the user intended it to be used?

    --
    WL
    real mail: wliao at sdf loSnPesAtarM org
    (remove the uppercase letters...)

  4. Re: temp. disable plugins?

    WL wrote:
    > In article ,
    > squaredancer <"1 Liberty Square Washinton DC"> wrote:
    >> On 05.06.2006 06:58 pm, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused WL to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> I'm looking for a way to quickly and temporarily disable
    >>> plugins. Something like safe mode for plugins.... I'm using
    >>> FF 1.5.0.4 on Windows XP.
    >>>

    >> dunno whereabouts in 1.5.** but my 1.0.7 has a plugin list under
    >> Tools>>Options>>Downloads - there, you can "switch off" any plugin
    >> temporarilly.

    > yes, but flipping 20-30 items off and on in a multi-click sequence
    > seems way too much work :/
    >
    > In playing around with this some more, how does FF know
    > where to look for plugins, if there are none in the FF
    > plugins folder? How does FF know the plugin is safe for use
    > and the user intended it to be used?

    Look for the file "pluginreg.dat" in the folder one level above your
    profile[1]. Don't know what will happen if you rename it, but it may be
    worth a try.

    [1]For Profile Locations see:
    Firefox
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile
    Thunderbird
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit#profile
    Windows users should also see:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    Managing TB Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile
    Managing FF Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

+ Reply to Thread