1.5.04 is up. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on 1.5.04 is up. - Mozilla ; ....just wanted to be the first *g*...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

  1. 1.5.04 is up.

    ....just wanted to be the first *g*

  2. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    clay wrote:
    > ...just wanted to be the first *g*

    uh... that would be 1.5.0.4 doh!
    geeze. first one and I screwed it up :-(

  3. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    _clay_ spoke thusly on 26/05/2006 9:20 PM:
    > ...just wanted to be the first *g*

    http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/04/looking...r-mozilla.html
    In particular, read comment #5.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  4. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    clay wrote:
    > clay wrote:
    >> ...just wanted to be the first *g*

    > uh... that would be 1.5.0.4 doh!
    > geeze. first one and I screwed it up :-(

    As an old girlfriend once said: Hey, what's a period between friends?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  5. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    clay wrote:
    > ...just wanted to be the first *g*

    As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't exist until HELP..Check for updates
    shows it. Right now, it doesn't.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    Managing TB Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile
    Managing FF Profiles: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

  6. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _clay_ spoke thusly on 26/05/2006 9:20 PM:
    >> ...just wanted to be the first *g*

    > http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/04/looking...r-mozilla.html
    > In particular, read comment #5.

    Just out of curiosity, what is a .mar file, and what can I do with it,
    other than save it to disk?

  7. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    Ron Hunter wrote in
    :

    > Just out of curiosity, what is a .mar file, and what can I do with
    > it, other than save it to disk?

  8. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _clay_ spoke thusly on 26/05/2006 9:20 PM:
    >> ...just wanted to be the first *g*

    > http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/04/looking...r-mozilla.html
    > In particular, read comment #5.

    Well... normally I don't go looking at the ftp site at all.
    Just happened to be there looking for a tar to install in linux and saw it.
    (btw, this linux stuff is so much fun. I've been playing with it for
    ~week now... 100 hours, dozen reinstalls, trying to get a pvr going.
    Coulda' been up in 10 minutes with xp media center.)

  9. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    Q wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote in
    > :
    >
    >> Just out of curiosity, what is a .mar file, and what can I do with
    >> it, other than save it to disk?

    Nothing like taking something simple and making it difficult, and
    complicated. Thanks, but no thanks. I will wait until the automatic
    update is available. Damn Unix thinking anyway!
    sigh.

  10. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    "Ed Mullen" wrote in message
    > clay wrote:
    >> clay wrote:
    >>> ...just wanted to be the first *g*

    >> uh... that would be 1.5.0.4 doh!
    >> geeze. first one and I screwed it up :-(

    > As an old girlfriend once said: Hey, what's a period between friends?
    >
    > --

    Ha ,,its a good sign if you ask me LOL

  11. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    On 27.05.2006 03:32 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen
    to generate the following:? :

    > clay wrote:
    >
    >> clay wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...just wanted to be the first *g*

    >> uh... that would be 1.5.0.4 doh!
    >> geeze. first one and I screwed it up :-(

    > As an old girlfriend once said: Hey, what's a period between friends?

    depends, Ed! *Who* screwed the girlfriend ??

    reg

  12. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    Ron Hunter wrote in
    :

    > Q wrote:
    >> Ron Hunter wrote in
    >> :
    >>
    >>> Just out of curiosity, what is a .mar file, and what can I do
    >>> with it, other than save it to disk?

    >> <http://wiki.mozilla.org/Software_Upd...stalling_a_MAR
    >> _file>
    >>

    > Nothing like taking something simple and making it difficult, and
    > complicated. Thanks, but no thanks. I will wait until the
    > automatic update is available. Damn Unix thinking anyway!
    > sigh.

    They're not meant to be applied manually, but you asked what you /can/
    do with them.

    AUIU, they're essentially compressed, indexed globs of binary
    difference files.

  13. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    clay wrote:

    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _clay_ spoke thusly on 26/05/2006 9:20 PM:
    >>> ...just wanted to be the first *g*

    >> http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/04/looking...r-mozilla.html
    >> In particular, read comment #5.

    > Well... normally I don't go looking at the ftp site at all.
    > Just happened to be there looking for a tar to install in linux and saw it.
    > (btw, this linux stuff is so much fun. I've been playing with it for
    > ~week now... 100 hours, dozen reinstalls, trying to get a pvr going.
    > Coulda' been up in 10 minutes with xp media center.)

    My friend put that on her brand spanking new machine. It reboots every
    once in a while for no reason that anybody can fathom. She loves Pikasa
    and is not sure about the googledesktop yet.

    She wanted to put her old mail files into her new Thunderbird
    installation. Just finding the proper subdirectory was a monumental
    pain. 'Search' is not even a close third to 'locate'.

    The absolute most annoying thing about windows is the burial of useful
    files within grossly over-nested subdirectories. Damn screen isn't wide
    enough to hold the whole pathname. At the very least there should be a
    c:\profiles subdirectory.
    ================================
    Eat right. Stay fit. Die anyway.

  14. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > clay wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> _clay_ spoke thusly on 26/05/2006 9:20 PM:
    >>>
    >>> http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/04/looking...r-mozilla.html
    >>> In particular, read comment #5.

    >> Well... normally I don't go looking at the ftp site at all.
    >> Just happened to be there looking for a tar to install in linux and
    >> saw it.
    >> (btw, this linux stuff is so much fun. I've been playing with it for
    >> ~week now... 100 hours, dozen reinstalls, trying to get a pvr going.
    >> Coulda' been up in 10 minutes with xp media center.)

    > My friend put that on her brand spanking new machine. It reboots every
    > once in a while for no reason that anybody can fathom. She loves Pikasa
    > and is not sure about the googledesktop yet.
    >
    > She wanted to put her old mail files into her new Thunderbird
    > installation. Just finding the proper subdirectory was a monumental
    > pain. 'Search' is not even a close third to 'locate'.
    >
    > The absolute most annoying thing about windows is the burial of useful
    > files within grossly over-nested subdirectories. Damn screen isn't wide
    > enough to hold the whole pathname. At the very least there should be a
    > c:\profiles subdirectory.

    Quite true, and to make it worse, the directories in question are hidden
    by default. As are the files, and the extensions. Just finding Windows
    Explorer requires navigating several layers of the start menu! One of
    the worst features of Windows is its habit of spreading files around all
    over everywhere for applications, instead of having every file for a
    given application within the application folder. Bad thinking, in my
    opinion.

  15. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    On 5/27/2006 2:36 PM eastern, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Just finding Windows Explorer requires navigating several layers of
    > the start menu!

    That's what Desktop and/or Quick Launch shortcuts are for. Ditto for
    getting to TB and FF profiles without going down a zillion layers !
    CTinCT

  16. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 5/27/2006 2:36 PM eastern, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Just finding Windows Explorer requires navigating several layers of
    >> the start menu!

    > That's what Desktop and/or Quick Launch shortcuts are for. Ditto for
    > getting to TB and FF profiles without going down a zillion layers !
    > CTinCT

    The point I am trying to make is that most users will never FIND the
    program as well-hidden as it is. I believe that is Microsoft's way to
    keep users from messing things up.

  17. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > clay wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> _clay_ spoke thusly on 26/05/2006 9:20 PM:
    >>>
    >>> http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/04/looking...r-mozilla.html
    >>> In particular, read comment #5.

    >> Well... normally I don't go looking at the ftp site at all.
    >> Just happened to be there looking for a tar to install in linux and
    >> saw it.
    >> (btw, this linux stuff is so much fun. I've been playing with it for
    >> ~week now... 100 hours, dozen reinstalls, trying to get a pvr going.
    >> Coulda' been up in 10 minutes with xp media center.)

    > My friend put that on her brand spanking new machine. It reboots every
    > once in a while for no reason that anybody can fathom. She loves Pikasa
    > and is not sure about the googledesktop yet.
    >
    > She wanted to put her old mail files into her new Thunderbird
    > installation. Just finding the proper subdirectory was a monumental
    > pain. 'Search' is not even a close third to 'locate'.
    >
    > The absolute most annoying thing about windows is the burial of useful
    > files within grossly over-nested subdirectories. Damn screen isn't wide
    > enough to hold the whole pathname. At the very least there should be a
    > c:\profiles subdirectory.

    Well, I've been enjoying the challenge. (windows) computers have become
    boring after tinkering on them for close to 20 years now. Linux is a
    welcome change. I see myself ridding my boxes of windows altogether once
    I have this Linux stuff figured out.
    There are so many distros out there to weed through. I chose ubuntu
    breezy to start with... for no other reason except it was the first iso
    I ran across I could grab.
    XP search seems particularly bad. Don't know what msloth broke on it but
    it seems to miss more often than it finds. I'm looking right at the
    files I'm searching for(*.msf) yet 'Search' can't find them...(and
    what's up with that stupid animated 'Search Companion'. I can do without
    the Disney characters dancing around my screen)

  18. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    clay wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> clay wrote:

    >>> Well... normally I don't go looking at the ftp site at all.
    >>> Just happened to be there looking for a tar to install in linux and
    >>> saw it.
    >>> (btw, this linux stuff is so much fun. I've been playing with it for
    >>> ~week now... 100 hours, dozen reinstalls, trying to get a pvr
    >>> going. Coulda' been up in 10 minutes with xp media center.)

    >> My friend put that on her brand spanking new machine. It reboots
    >> every once in a while for no reason that anybody can fathom. She
    >> loves Pikasa and is not sure about the googledesktop yet.
    >>
    >> She wanted to put her old mail files into her new Thunderbird
    >> installation. Just finding the proper subdirectory was a monumental
    >> pain. 'Search' is not even a close third to 'locate'.
    >>
    >> The absolute most annoying thing about windows is the burial of useful
    >> files within grossly over-nested subdirectories. Damn screen isn't
    >> wide enough to hold the whole pathname. At the very least there
    >> should be a c:\profiles subdirectory.

    > Well, I've been enjoying the challenge. (windows) computers have become
    > boring after tinkering on them for close to 20 years now. Linux is a
    > welcome change. I see myself ridding my boxes of windows altogether once
    > I have this Linux stuff figured out.
    > There are so many distros out there to weed through. I chose ubuntu
    > breezy to start with... for no other reason except it was the first iso
    > I ran across I could grab.
    > XP search seems particularly bad. Don't know what msloth broke on it but
    > it seems to miss more often than it finds. I'm looking right at the
    > files I'm searching for(*.msf) yet 'Search' can't find them...(and
    > what's up with that stupid animated 'Search Companion'. I can do without
    > the Disney characters dancing around my screen)

    Two things Windows does incredibly badly, and which are very rarely
    mentioned. One is Windows Explorer searching for files, and the other
    is the WORSE excuse for a print spooler I have seen in 40 years in the
    computer field.
    On XP, cancelling a print file because the printer dies requires
    stopping the service, and restarting it! Don't even THINK of trying to
    reprint pages 3-7 of a 10 page file. And on slower machines, the
    spooler can actually stop all other functions! Abysmal!

  19. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    On 5/27/2006 7:48 PM eastern, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Cal Tinson wrote:
    >> On 5/27/2006 2:36 PM eastern, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just finding Windows Explorer requires navigating several layers of
    >>> the start menu!

    >> That's what Desktop and/or Quick Launch shortcuts are for. Ditto for
    >> getting to TB and FF profiles without going down a zillion layers !
    >> CTinCT

    > The point I am trying to make is that most users will never FIND the
    > program as well-hidden as it is. I believe that is Microsoft's way to
    > keep users from messing things up.

    Do you have a reference for your "most users" statement, Ron? All of the
    last five or six of my computers (Dells and Gateways) already had a
    shortcut to WE on the Desktop, and in all the help newsgroups I
    frequent, I've never seen a "whazzat?" reply when someone was told to do
    such and such in WE.
    CTinCT

  20. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 5/27/2006 7:48 PM eastern, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Cal Tinson wrote:

    >>> That's what Desktop and/or Quick Launch shortcuts are for. Ditto for
    >>> getting to TB and FF profiles without going down a zillion layers !
    >>> CTinCT

    >> The point I am trying to make is that most users will never FIND the
    >> program as well-hidden as it is. I believe that is Microsoft's way to
    >> keep users from messing things up.

    > Do you have a reference for your "most users" statement, Ron? All of the
    > last five or six of my computers (Dells and Gateways) already had a
    > shortcut to WE on the Desktop, and in all the help newsgroups I
    > frequent, I've never seen a "whazzat?" reply when someone was told to do
    > such and such in WE.
    > CTinCT

    fwiw, Windows key (ibm users need not apply) + e will get you a explorer
    window. +r will get the run box, and +m will miminize all your windoz so
    you can see your desktop.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast