1.5.04 is up. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on 1.5.04 is up. - Mozilla ; Cal Tinson wrote: > On 5/27/2006 7:48 PM eastern, Ron Hunter wrote: > >> Cal Tinson wrote: >>> On 5/27/2006 2:36 PM eastern, Ron Hunter wrote: >>> >>>> Just finding Windows Explorer requires navigating several layers of >>>> the start ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

  1. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 5/27/2006 7:48 PM eastern, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Cal Tinson wrote:

    >>> That's what Desktop and/or Quick Launch shortcuts are for. Ditto for
    >>> getting to TB and FF profiles without going down a zillion layers !
    >>> CTinCT

    >> The point I am trying to make is that most users will never FIND the
    >> program as well-hidden as it is. I believe that is Microsoft's way to
    >> keep users from messing things up.

    > Do you have a reference for your "most users" statement, Ron? All of the
    > last five or six of my computers (Dells and Gateways) already had a
    > shortcut to WE on the Desktop, and in all the help newsgroups I
    > frequent, I've never seen a "whazzat?" reply when someone was told to do
    > such and such in WE.
    > CTinCT

    Sure. ISPs which offer newsgroups indicate that less than 5% of their
    users even know what USENET groups ARE, or how to access them (which is
    why many ISPs are not offering NNTP groups any more). Since even being
    in a newsgroup implies a very small percentage of the userbase, it seems
    reasonable to conclude that a newsgroup user would be somewhat the
    'elite' of the userbase in regard to technical knowledge. I know many
    novice users who have never heard of the term 'file manager', and who
    have no idea what Windows Explorer is, or what it might do for them.
    And things like 'defragment' mean no more to them that some esoteric
    term used in nuclear physics, or astronomy.

    I have yet to buy a computer which had the file manager ON the desktop.

  2. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    On 28.05.2006 01:49 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused clay to
    generate the following:? :

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> clay wrote:

    >>> Well... normally I don't go looking at the ftp site at all.
    >>> Just happened to be there looking for a tar to install in linux and
    >>> saw it.
    >>> (btw, this linux stuff is so much fun. I've been playing with it for
    >>> ~week now... 100 hours, dozen reinstalls, trying to get a pvr
    >>> going. Coulda' been up in 10 minutes with xp media center.)

    >> My friend put that on her brand spanking new machine. It reboots
    >> every once in a while for no reason that anybody can fathom. She
    >> loves Pikasa and is not sure about the googledesktop yet.
    >>
    >> She wanted to put her old mail files into her new Thunderbird
    >> installation. Just finding the proper subdirectory was a monumental
    >> pain. 'Search' is not even a close third to 'locate'.
    >>
    >> The absolute most annoying thing about windows is the burial of
    >> useful files within grossly over-nested subdirectories. Damn screen
    >> isn't wide enough to hold the whole pathname. At the very least
    >> there should be a c:\profiles subdirectory.

    > Well, I've been enjoying the challenge. (windows) computers have
    > become boring after tinkering on them for close to 20 years now. Linux
    > is a welcome change. I see myself ridding my boxes of windows
    > altogether once I have this Linux stuff figured out.
    > There are so many distros out there to weed through. I chose ubuntu
    > breezy to start with... for no other reason except it was the first
    > iso I ran across I could grab.
    > XP search seems particularly bad. Don't know what msloth broke on it
    > but it seems to miss more often than it finds. I'm looking right at
    > the files I'm searching for(*.msf) yet 'Search' can't find them...(and
    > what's up with that stupid animated 'Search Companion'. I can do
    > without the Disney characters dancing around my screen)

    Win-Search won't find (or show) "hidden files" - they have to be
    "UNhidden" in WE>>Tools>>Folder Options>>View>>[ ] Hidden Files and
    Folders - check Radiobutton "Show all files and folders"

    This is one of the problems that "newbies" have when told to hack their
    Profile or find Bookmarks.html ... they are in a "hidden" folder

    reg

  3. OT: PVR on Linux (Was: 1.5.04 is up.)

    clay wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _clay_ spoke thusly on 26/05/2006 9:20 PM:
    >>> ...just wanted to be the first *g*

    >> http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/04/looking...r-mozilla.html
    >> In particular, read comment #5.

    > Well... normally I don't go looking at the ftp site at all.
    > Just happened to be there looking for a tar to install in linux and saw it.
    > (btw, this linux stuff is so much fun. I've been playing with it for
    > ~week now... 100 hours, dozen reinstalls, trying to get a pvr going.
    > Coulda' been up in 10 minutes with xp media center.)

    PVR = Personal Video Recorder? Just curious: What distro, what pvr have
    you tried?

    BR,
    Gudmund

  4. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 28.05.2006 01:49 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused clay to
    > generate the following:? :
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> My friend put that on her brand spanking new machine. It reboots
    >>> every once in a while for no reason that anybody can fathom. She
    >>> loves Pikasa and is not sure about the googledesktop yet.
    >>>
    >>> She wanted to put her old mail files into her new Thunderbird
    >>> installation. Just finding the proper subdirectory was a monumental
    >>> pain. 'Search' is not even a close third to 'locate'.
    >>>
    >>> The absolute most annoying thing about windows is the burial of
    >>> useful files within grossly over-nested subdirectories. Damn screen
    >>> isn't wide enough to hold the whole pathname. At the very least
    >>> there should be a c:\profiles subdirectory.

    >> Well, I've been enjoying the challenge. (windows) computers have
    >> become boring after tinkering on them for close to 20 years now. Linux
    >> is a welcome change. I see myself ridding my boxes of windows
    >> altogether once I have this Linux stuff figured out.
    >> There are so many distros out there to weed through. I chose ubuntu
    >> breezy to start with... for no other reason except it was the first
    >> iso I ran across I could grab.
    >> XP search seems particularly bad. Don't know what msloth broke on it
    >> but it seems to miss more often than it finds. I'm looking right at
    >> the files I'm searching for(*.msf) yet 'Search' can't find them...(and
    >> what's up with that stupid animated 'Search Companion'. I can do
    >> without the Disney characters dancing around my screen)

    > Win-Search won't find (or show) "hidden files" - they have to be
    > "UNhidden" in WE>>Tools>>Folder Options>>View>>[ ] Hidden Files and
    > Folders - check Radiobutton "Show all files and folders"
    >
    > This is one of the problems that "newbies" have when told to hack their
    > Profile or find Bookmarks.html ... they are in a "hidden" folder
    >
    > reg

    Right, and they need to know that extensions are important, and should
    NEVER be hidden.

  5. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    Cal Tinson wrote:

    > On 5/27/2006 2:36 PM eastern, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Just finding Windows Explorer requires navigating several layers of
    >> the start menu!

    > That's what Desktop and/or Quick Launch shortcuts are for. Ditto for
    > getting to TB and FF profiles without going down a zillion layers !
    > CTinCT

    I've made shortcuts for subterranean subdirectories I use frequently,
    but there's always the first time...

    I found out the name of the friends qweriouqweriu.default subdirectory,
    but when I asked windows' search function to find just the first four
    letters it couldn't. I remember that it doesn't like *, but demanding
    the whole filename seems overly arbitrary.

    I locate.

    It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.

  6. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    clay wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> clay wrote:

    >>> Well... normally I don't go looking at the ftp site at all.
    >>> Just happened to be there looking for a tar to install in linux and
    >>> saw it.
    >>> (btw, this linux stuff is so much fun. I've been playing with it for
    >>> ~week now... 100 hours, dozen reinstalls, trying to get a pvr going.
    >>> Coulda' been up in 10 minutes with xp media center.)

    >> My friend put that on her brand spanking new machine. It reboots every
    >> once in a while for no reason that anybody can fathom. She loves Pikasa
    >> and is not sure about the googledesktop yet.
    >>
    >> She wanted to put her old mail files into her new Thunderbird
    >> installation. Just finding the proper subdirectory was a monumental
    >> pain. 'Search' is not even a close third to 'locate'.
    >>
    >> The absolute most annoying thing about windows is the burial of useful
    >> files within grossly over-nested subdirectories. Damn screen isn't wide
    >> enough to hold the whole pathname. At the very least there should be a
    >> c:\profiles subdirectory.

    > Well, I've been enjoying the challenge. (windows) computers have become
    > boring after tinkering on them for close to 20 years now. Linux is a
    > welcome change. I see myself ridding my boxes of windows altogether once
    > I have this Linux stuff figured out.

    Keep one and run it with a kvm switch. There's always some piece of
    hardware that needs windows, and it's handy to not need a second
    monitor/keyboard/mouse -- although the one I have doesn't seem happy
    about sharing the mouse, so I use one mouse for each machine.

    > There are so many distros out there to weed through. I chose ubuntu
    > breezy to start with... for no other reason except it was the first iso
    > I ran across I could grab.

    I run what my live-in consultant does -- slackware. Unfortunately he
    regards GUIs as unclean...

    > XP search seems particularly bad. Don't know what msloth broke on it but
    > it seems to miss more often than it finds. I'm looking right at the
    > files I'm searching for(*.msf) yet 'Search' can't find them...(and
    > what's up with that stupid animated 'Search Companion'. I can do without
    > the Disney characters dancing around my screen)

    Oooh, I thought I saw a puppy or something hopping around down there,
    but I was busy. So there's a whole raft of characters besides
    Clippy?

    It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.

  7. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Keep one and run it with a kvm switch.

    Already doing that.

    There's always some piece of
    > hardware that needs windows, and it's handy to not need a second
    > monitor

    I have 3 monitors on my desk...

    /keyboard/mouse -- although the one I have doesn't seem happy
    > about sharing the mouse, so I use one mouse for each machine.

    ditto. 3 mices here. always grabbing the wrong one. cat loves it.

    > I run what my live-in consultant does -- slackware. Unfortunately he
    > regards GUIs as unclean...

    I wouldn't mind only using a cli except that:
    1.) advanced crs (where'd I put that list of commands!?)
    2.) I can't type for beans

    > Oooh, I thought I saw a puppy or something hopping around down there,
    > but I was busy. So there's a whole raft of characters besides
    > Clippy?

    probably, I dunno. I neutered all that stuff out of xp when I first
    fired it up.

  8. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 27.05.2006 03:32 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen
    > to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> clay wrote:

    >>> uh... that would be 1.5.0.4 doh!
    >>> geeze. first one and I screwed it up :-(

    >> As an old girlfriend once said: Hey, what's a period between friends?
    >>

    > depends, Ed! *Who* screwed the girlfriend ??
    >
    > reg

    Who knows? That was soooo loooong ago.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  9. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    The Real Bev wrote:
    --------------
    > I run what my live-in consultant does -- slackware. Unfortunately he
    > regards GUIs as unclean...

    Obviously a man of discriminating taste. You would do well to heed and
    obey!

    Rinaldi
    --
    How long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom door you're
    on.

  10. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > subterranean subdirectories

    LOL! I like that.

    --
    Alex

  11. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    >Don't even THINK of trying to reprint pages 3-7 of a 10 page file.

    What do you mean? I often print specific pages out of multiple page
    documents.

    LD

  12. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    LD wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    >> Don't even THINK of trying to reprint pages 3-7 of a 10 page file.

    > What do you mean? I often print specific pages out of multiple page
    > documents.
    >
    > LD

    REPRINT. As in the printer has cranked out pages 1-7 of 10, and you
    find that 3 and 4 need to be reprinted. On my old AtariST, I could just
    interrupt the printing and ask it to print 3 and 4 again, or stop it
    before it finished, or even reboot while printing and have it pick up
    with losing anything. The Windows print spooler sucks like a Hoover!

  13. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    On 30.05.2006 10:37 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ron Hunter
    to generate the following:? :

    > LD wrote:
    >
    >> "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Don't even THINK of trying to reprint pages 3-7 of a 10 page file.

    >> What do you mean? I often print specific pages out of multiple page
    >> documents.
    >>
    >> LD
    >>

    > REPRINT. As in the printer has cranked out pages 1-7 of 10, and you
    > find that 3 and 4 need to be reprinted. On my old AtariST, I could
    > just interrupt the printing and ask it to print 3 and 4 again, or stop
    > it before it finished, or even reboot while printing and have it pick
    > up with losing anything. The Windows print spooler sucks like a Hoover!

    do as HP recommends... call up the spooler (aka Printer interface *lol*
    ) *stop* the action "pull the plug" from the printer for two minutes -
    to clear the printer memory! Start from scratch!

    All *great fun* , honest!

    reg

  14. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 30.05.2006 10:37 am, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ron Hunter
    > to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> LD wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Ron Hunter" wrote in message

    >>> What do you mean? I often print specific pages out of multiple page
    >>> documents.
    >>>
    >>> LD
    >>>

    >> REPRINT. As in the printer has cranked out pages 1-7 of 10, and you
    >> find that 3 and 4 need to be reprinted. On my old AtariST, I could
    >> just interrupt the printing and ask it to print 3 and 4 again, or stop
    >> it before it finished, or even reboot while printing and have it pick
    >> up with losing anything. The Windows print spooler sucks like a Hoover!

    > do as HP recommends... call up the spooler (aka Printer interface *lol*
    > ) *stop* the action "pull the plug" from the printer for two minutes -
    > to clear the printer memory! Start from scratch!
    >
    > All *great fun* , honest!
    >
    > reg

    Doesn't work. My printer has a cancel button, which WILL cancel a job
    if the printer already has the whole thing, but getting Windows Spooler
    to flush a job requires cycling the printer spooler service. UGLY.

  15. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    > --------------
    >> I run what my live-in consultant does -- slackware. Unfortunately he
    >> regards GUIs as unclean...

    > Obviously a man of discriminating taste. You would do well to heed and
    > obey!

    That's no fun! OTOH, he was smart enough to marry me... He likes w3m
    and is always showing me interesting little wrinkles he's added to it.

    And if that's how you feel, what are you doing in the NS/FF/TB groups?
    lynx and mail ought to be good enough for you...

    My computer doesn't have to be friendly;
    civil is entirely sufficient.

  16. OT: Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    On 5/30/2006 12:08 AM LD spake these words of knowledge:

    > "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    > news:QKWdnd7qWaSA_OTZnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> I have yet to buy a computer which had the file manager ON the desktop.

    > I yet have to buy a Window computer that has any useful file manager. My old
    > Amiga 15 or 20 years ago had a way better file manager.
    >
    > LD

    Dude, you can get DirOpus for Windows. I bought several versions of
    that for my Amigas, in the day.

    RFT!!!
    Dave Kelsen
    --
    A mind is a terrible thing to taste.

  17. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >> --------------
    >>> I run what my live-in consultant does -- slackware. Unfortunately he
    >>> regards GUIs as unclean...

    >> Obviously a man of discriminating taste. You would do well to heed and
    >> obey!

    > That's no fun! OTOH, he was smart enough to marry me... He likes w3m
    > and is always showing me interesting little wrinkles he's added to it.

    I just looked at that. Had to install a garbage collector to get it
    running.

    > And if that's how you feel, what are you doing in the NS/FF/TB groups?
    > lynx and mail ought to be good enough for you...

    The quest for knowledge.

    Rinaldi
    --
    Bucy's Law:
    Nothing is ever accomplished by a reasonable man.

  18. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >>> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> --------------
    >>>
    >>> Obviously a man of discriminating taste. You would do well to heed and
    >>> obey!

    >> That's no fun! OTOH, he was smart enough to marry me... He likes w3m
    >> and is always showing me interesting little wrinkles he's added to it.

    > I just looked at that. Had to install a garbage collector to get it
    > running.

    ??? You get open source software from your public works department?

    >> And if that's how you feel, what are you doing in the NS/FF/TB groups?
    >> lynx and mail ought to be good enough for you...

    > The quest for knowledge.

    Isn't that what that guy on /. said about his porn collection?

    Segal's Law: A man with one watch knows the time.
    A man with two is never sure.

  19. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> That's no fun! OTOH, he was smart enough to marry me... He likes w3m
    >>> and is always showing me interesting little wrinkles he's added to it.

    >> I just looked at that. Had to install a garbage collector to get it
    >> running.

    > ??? You get open source software from your public works department?

    :-) w3m requires gc.h If you're interested:

    The garbage collector uses SIGPWR and SIGXCPU if it is used with
    Linux threads. These should not be touched by the client program.

    >>> And if that's how you feel, what are you doing in the NS/FF/TB groups?
    >>> lynx and mail ought to be good enough for you...

    >> The quest for knowledge.

    > Isn't that what that guy on /. said about his porn collection?

    Possibly. But not all knowledge is carnal.

    Rinaldi
    --
    Some programming languages manage to absorb change but withstand
    progress.

  20. Re: 1.5.04 is up.

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    >>> I just looked at that. Had to install a garbage collector to get it
    >>> running.

    >> ??? You get open source software from your public works department?

    > :-) w3m requires gc.h If you're interested:
    >
    > The garbage collector uses SIGPWR and SIGXCPU if it is used with
    > Linux threads. These should not be touched by the client program.

    Thank god you told me, I might have done something disastrous...

    >>> The quest for knowledge.

    >> Isn't that what that guy on /. said about his porn collection?

    > Possibly. But not all knowledge is carnal.

    And speaking of carnality, Glen Sanft says hello. He saw my name in a
    picasa group (yes, for linux [under Wine, you can't have everything] --
    the red-eye correction alone is worth the price of admission) and
    emailed me. I told him where we were hiding.

    Don't you just KNOW that there is more than one
    Sierra Club member who is absolutely sure that the
    dinosaurs died out because of something humans did?