Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems - Mozilla ; I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.3 on Windows. I have NOT installed any extensions. Here are some problems that occur sometimes, but not all the time: - if I press the apostrophe key while in a text field, it sometimes acts like ...

  1. Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems

    I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.3 on Windows. I have NOT installed any
    extensions. Here are some problems that occur sometimes, but not all
    the time:

    - if I press the apostrophe key while in a text field, it sometimes
    acts like I pressed CTRL-F.

    - sometimes the Home and End keys do not move the cursor in a text
    field

    - sometimes the arrow keys do not move the cursor in a text field

    - sometimes the Copy and Paste functions (using either the keyboard or
    the mouse) do not work

    But whenever I encounter any of the above problems, I can usually get
    them to go away by minimizing the Firefox window and then restoring it.
    But obviously it would be best if these bugs were fixed.

  2. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems

    On 20-05-2006 20:58 CET, void.no.spam.com@gmail.com composed this
    enchanting statement:
    > I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.3 on Windows. I have NOT installed any
    > extensions. Here are some problems that occur sometimes, but not all
    > the time:
    >
    > - if I press the apostrophe key while in a text field, it sometimes
    > acts like I pressed CTRL-F.
    >
    > - sometimes the Home and End keys do not move the cursor in a text
    > field
    >
    > - sometimes the arrow keys do not move the cursor in a text field
    >
    > - sometimes the Copy and Paste functions (using either the keyboard or
    > the mouse) do not work
    >
    > But whenever I encounter any of the above problems, I can usually get
    > them to go away by minimizing the Firefox window and then restoring it.
    > But obviously it would be best if these bugs were fixed.

    Sounds like some user preference setting has changed. Verify your
    accessibility box in the general tab of the advanced section.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  3. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    > Sounds like some user preference setting has changed. Verify your
    > accessibility box in the general tab of the advanced section.

    Hi, I looked at the accessibility box, and both of the options are
    unchecked.

    And if this were a settings issue, then I would experience the behavior
    all the time, not some of the time. So they are bugs.

  4. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems

    void.no.spam.com@gmail.com wrote:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds like some user preference setting has changed. Verify your
    >> accessibility box in the general tab of the advanced section.

    > Hi, I looked at the accessibility box, and both of the options are
    > unchecked.
    >
    > And if this were a settings issue, then I would experience the behavior
    > all the time, not some of the time. So they are bugs.

    If they *were* bugs we would all be experiencing it ...we aren't ..I am
    not and your post is the first one ...hardly what I would call a "bug"!

    You most likely have a conflict that is system specific to your computer
    ....what that is, is very hard to determine but don't automatically leap
    to the "bug conclusion".

    --
    Brian | REMOVE NOSPAM To E-Mail me

    .. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

    .. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html

  5. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems

    void.no.spam.com@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.3 on Windows. I have NOT installed any
    > extensions. Here are some problems that occur sometimes, but not all
    > the time:
    >
    > - if I press the apostrophe key while in a text field, it sometimes
    > acts like I pressed CTRL-F.
    >
    > - sometimes the Home and End keys do not move the cursor in a text
    > field
    >
    > - sometimes the arrow keys do not move the cursor in a text field
    >
    > - sometimes the Copy and Paste functions (using either the keyboard or
    > the mouse) do not work
    >
    > But whenever I encounter any of the above problems, I can usually get
    > them to go away by minimizing the Firefox window and then restoring it.
    > But obviously it would be best if these bugs were fixed.

    I think it's a bit hasty to classify the behavior you've seen as bugs.
    As mentioned in another post in this thread, not everyone is seeing the
    behavior that you are - and there are millions of FF users out there.

    You say that you aren't using any extensions - but you didn't say
    whether or not you've installed another theme. If you're not using the
    default theme, have you tried switching to the default theme to see if
    you can duplicate the problem?

    While I'm suggesting things to try:
    -Have you tried starting FF in safe mode to see if you can duplicate the
    problem?
    -Have you tried creating a new (clean) profile (no extensions, no
    themes) to see if you can duplicate the problem?

  6. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems

    On 5/20/2006 4:43 PM Ken Wagner scribbled:

    > void.no.spam.com@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.3 on Windows. I have NOT installed any
    >> extensions. Here are some problems that occur sometimes, but not all
    >> the time:
    >>
    >> - if I press the apostrophe key while in a text field, it sometimes
    >> acts like I pressed CTRL-F.
    >>
    >> - sometimes the Home and End keys do not move the cursor in a text
    >> field
    >>
    >> - sometimes the arrow keys do not move the cursor in a text field
    >>
    >> - sometimes the Copy and Paste functions (using either the keyboard or
    >> the mouse) do not work
    >>
    >> But whenever I encounter any of the above problems, I can usually get
    >> them to go away by minimizing the Firefox window and then restoring it.
    >> But obviously it would be best if these bugs were fixed.
    >>

    > I think it's a bit hasty to classify the behavior you've seen as bugs.
    > As mentioned in another post in this thread, not everyone is seeing the
    > behavior that you are - and there are millions of FF users out there.
    >
    > You say that you aren't using any extensions - but you didn't say
    > whether or not you've installed another theme. If you're not using the
    > default theme, have you tried switching to the default theme to see if
    > you can duplicate the problem?
    >
    > While I'm suggesting things to try:
    > -Have you tried starting FF in safe mode to see if you can duplicate the
    > problem?
    > -Have you tried creating a new (clean) profile (no extensions, no
    > themes) to see if you can duplicate the problem?

    /Or/ it could very well be that you don't have the cursor focused on the
    screen, for whatever reason - next time it doesn't work like you think
    it should, simply move the pointer to the screen in question and click
    it to focus it there - then see if the keys work...

  7. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    > I think it's a bit hasty to classify the behavior you've seen as bugs.
    > As mentioned in another post in this thread, not everyone is seeing the
    > behavior that you are - and there are millions of FF users out there.
    >
    > You say that you aren't using any extensions - but you didn't say
    > whether or not you've installed another theme. If you're not using the
    > default theme, have you tried switching to the default theme to see if
    > you can duplicate the problem?
    >
    > While I'm suggesting things to try:
    > -Have you tried starting FF in safe mode to see if you can duplicate the
    > problem?
    > -Have you tried creating a new (clean) profile (no extensions, no
    > themes) to see if you can duplicate the problem?

    I have never used anything besides the default theme. Safe mode is
    something that I can try.

    I did some searches on another firefox forum, and it seems like people
    are experiencing many, if not all, of the bugs I'm experiencing, for
    example:

    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...w+keys&start=0

  8. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems

    void.no.spam.com@gmail.com wrote:
    > Ken Wagner wrote:
    >> I think it's a bit hasty to classify the behavior you've seen as bugs.
    >> As mentioned in another post in this thread, not everyone is seeing the
    >> behavior that you are - and there are millions of FF users out there.
    >>
    >> You say that you aren't using any extensions - but you didn't say
    >> whether or not you've installed another theme. If you're not using the
    >> default theme, have you tried switching to the default theme to see if
    >> you can duplicate the problem?
    >>
    >> While I'm suggesting things to try:
    >> -Have you tried starting FF in safe mode to see if you can duplicate the
    >> problem?
    >> -Have you tried creating a new (clean) profile (no extensions, no
    >> themes) to see if you can duplicate the problem?

    > I have never used anything besides the default theme. Safe mode is
    > something that I can try.
    >
    > I did some searches on another firefox forum, and it seems like people
    > are experiencing many, if not all, of the bugs I'm experiencing, for
    > example:
    >
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...w+keys&start=0

    I have to ask (am I'm not asking in jest): did you read very far into
    the posts at the URL you posted? The link above takes you to posts from
    October 10, 2005 - and they're in regards to problems reported by users
    running 1.0.4 and 1.0.7.

    However, if you skip towards the end of that thread (page #14), you'll
    find that there are additional posts on October 26, 2005 by "LeRoi" and
    one on May 2, 2006 by "dickvl" that point to third party programs that
    cause the problems you've experienced. Specifically, you should read
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=409816 and

    My favorite quote is from "Littlemutt" (author of
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=409816) who says: "I was
    able to ID 32 unique users with the copy/paste issue, and have a list if
    anyone wants to see. The 'guest' posts were not counted as its
    impossible to ID who they are, or are the one in the same. Therefore,
    32 unique users with the problem, out of 40 million plus
    updates/downloads combined, I'd have to say that there is no problem
    with the build."

  9. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems

    I haven't figured out why it does it either. It seems to come and go at
    random. I'll be typing along, and suddenly any time I touch the
    apostrophe key while Firefox is the focused window, it goes to the
    Search box whether I want it to or not, whether I'm in a textbox or
    not. Furthermore, the arrow keys, page up, page down, home, and end
    keys no longer navigate the page.

    I don't know why it doesn't or how to make it stop, other than to
    restart the browser and start over.

    Whether you call it a bug or not is up to you, but it is a nuisance
    that I would rather not deal with.

  10. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems

    "JPM III" wrote in message
    news:1148950690.863418.33620@i40g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    >I haven't figured out why it does it either. It seems to come and go at
    > random. I'll be typing along, and suddenly any time I touch the
    > apostrophe key while Firefox is the focused window, it goes to the
    > Search box whether

    Oh ok good, I thought it was happening only to me.

    LD

  11. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems

    I also have encountered this bug (using the 1.5.0.4 build).. So instead
    of being all defensive about the definition of this problem, does
    anyone have a solution?

    regards,
    ejv

  12. Re: Firefox 1.5.0.3 has problems

    evelthui@gmail.com wrote, On 6/5/2006 2:20 PM:
    > I also have encountered this bug (using the 1.5.0.4 build).. So instead
    > of being all defensive about the definition of this problem, does
    > anyone have a solution?
    >
    > regards,
    > ejv

    Did you read my posts from 5/25/2006 - and check out the URLs in the post?

    See news://news.mozilla.org:119/-7CdnVg7...2d@mozilla.org

+ Reply to Thread