Find as you type problem - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Find as you type problem - Mozilla ; I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.3 on a Windows XP system. For some reason the find as you type feature doesn't seem to work. The search box opens but the cursor doesn't move to a word and after a few characters I ...

  1. Find as you type problem

    I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.3 on a Windows XP system. For some reason the
    find as you type feature doesn't seem to work. The search box opens but
    the cursor doesn't move to a word and after a few characters I get a
    beep indicating no word was found. I'm also running the google toolbar
    and it won't find search terms in my document either.
    The other extensions I'm running are"
    IE Tab
    Adblock Plus
    Adblock Filterset.G Updater
    EverNote Web Clipper
    Flashblock
    Shadows
    AI Roboform Toolbar for Firefox 6.6.9
    Tab Mix Plus

    Anyone have an idea what might be going on?

  2. Re: Find as you type problem

    bmschech wrote:
    > I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.3 on a Windows XP system. For some reason the
    > find as you type feature doesn't seem to work. The search box opens but
    > the cursor doesn't move to a word and after a few characters I get a
    > beep indicating no word was found. I'm also running the google toolbar
    > and it won't find search terms in my document either.
    > The other extensions I'm running are"
    > IE Tab
    > Adblock Plus
    > Adblock Filterset.G Updater
    > EverNote Web Clipper
    > Flashblock
    > Shadows
    > AI Roboform Toolbar for Firefox 6.6.9
    > Tab Mix Plus
    >

    > Anyone have an idea what might be going on?

    Try hitting F7.

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

  3. Re: Find as you type problem

    Thanks, but that doesn't do anything. In fact, when I enable caret
    browsing I don't see a blinking cursor..

  4. Re: Find as you type problem

    scratch that. I do see a blinking cursor, but still no find and the
    google toolbar doesnt work

  5. Re: Find as you type problem

    Something else odd I just noticed. When I type a letter into the search
    box the "Done" in the status bar is often replaced by various url's on
    the nytimes site, though this doesn't always happen.

  6. Re: Find as you type problem

    bmschech wrote:
    > Something else odd I just noticed. When I type a letter into the search
    > box the "Done" in the status bar is often replaced by various url's on
    > the nytimes site, though this doesn't always happen.

    Try running FF in safe mode to see if it's an extension problem:
    Start>>Run firefox.exe -safe-mode

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

  7. Re: Find as you type problem

    The problem goes away in the safe mode. I suppose it's just a matter of
    adding extensions one at a time?

  8. Re: Find as you type problem

    Thanks! It worked in safe mode. I removed all extensions and the
    problem recurred. So I ran in safe mode and restored Firefox defaults,
    and that did the trick.
    I appreciate your help. This makes browsing soooo much easier!

  9. Re: Find as you type problem