FF Opens with 25% of FF a border on bottom - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF Opens with 25% of FF a border on bottom - Mozilla ; Darn, my wife hit this problem again, at least I think she had the problem before and I asked here how to fix it, but I didn't save the answer... What happens is she starts FF and it opens fine, ...

  1. FF Opens with 25% of FF a border on bottom

    Darn, my wife hit this problem again, at least I think she had the
    problem before and I asked here how to fix it, but I didn't save the
    answer...

    What happens is she starts FF and it opens fine, but approximately 20 to
    25% of the screen is a very wide border with nothing but an '^' in red
    on the left handside below the STATUS bar. I can't find anything that
    has caused this, no new extensions added, and the latest version of
    code. I can't seem to locate and re-sizing or pulldowns to make it
    smaller or return to normal.

    I'll SAVE the answer this time, I promise. I recall it being relatively
    simple, and if I knew where to look it would have been obvious.

    Thanks,
    Irv Spalten

  2. Re: FF Opens with 25% of FF a border on bottom

    Irv Spalten wrote:

    > Darn, my wife hit this problem again, at least I think she had the
    > problem before and I asked here how to fix it, but I didn't save the
    > answer...
    >
    > What happens is she starts FF and it opens fine, but approximately 20 to
    > 25% of the screen is a very wide border with nothing but an '^' in red
    > on the left handside below the STATUS bar. I can't find anything that
    > has caused this, no new extensions added, and the latest version of
    > code. I can't seem to locate and re-sizing or pulldowns to make it
    > smaller or return to normal.
    >
    > I'll SAVE the answer this time, I promise. I recall it being relatively
    > simple, and if I knew where to look it would have been obvious.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Irv Spalten

    it means there's an incompatible extension or theme. Close FF and
    restart it in Safe Mode. Does the problem go away? If so, then start
    the Extension Manager [under Tools], right click on all the extensions
    and themes, and disable them. Restart FF. Does the problem go away?
    If so, then re-enable them one at a time and test it out.

    --
    Things to Ponder about: Why do people point to their wrist when asking
    for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the

  3. Re: FF Opens with 25% of FF a border on bottom

    Irv Spalten wrote:
    > Darn, my wife hit this problem again, at least I think she had the
    > problem before and I asked here how to fix it, but I didn't save the
    > answer...
    >
    > What happens is she starts FF and it opens fine, but approximately 20 to
    > 25% of the screen is a very wide border with nothing but an '^' in red
    > on the left handside below the STATUS bar. I can't find anything that
    > has caused this, no new extensions added, and the latest version of
    > code. I can't seem to locate and re-sizing or pulldowns to make it
    > smaller or return to normal.
    >
    > I'll SAVE the answer this time, I promise. I recall it being relatively
    > simple, and if I knew where to look it would have been obvious.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Irv Spalten

    This is from Matt Nordhoff:

    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome\m3ffxtbr.manifest" and restart
    Firefox

    Your wife seems to have a habit of installing manifest, which is known
    spyware

    Irwin

    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

  4. Re: FF Opens with 25% of FF a border on bottom

    Irwin,

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Irv Spalten wrote:

    [snip]

    > This is from Matt Nordhoff:
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome\m3ffxtbr.manifest" and restart
    > Firefox

    Ok, color me confused.

    First, this file doesn't exist on her machine (installed to D:\FIREFOX)

    These are the only files either of us have a CHROME directory

    Mine (I did a re-install from a backup)

    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 1,100,930 browser.jar
    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 431 browser.manifest
    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 463,191 classic.jar
    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 322 classic.manifest
    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 31,967 comm.jar
    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 144 comm.manifest
    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 569,322 en-US.jar
    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 894 en-US.manifest
    09/15/2005 06:26 PM 771 pipnss.jar
    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 325,328 pippki.jar
    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 69 pippki.manifest
    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 55,575 reporter.jar
    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 340 reporter.manifest
    04/22/2006 03:08 PM 1,327 roboform.jar
    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 1,659,450 toolkit.jar
    04/20/2006 12:07 PM 469 toolkit.manifest

    Hers

    04/14/2006 01:51 PM 1,100,930 browser.jar
    12/05/2005 03:44 PM 431 browser.manifest
    02/16/2006 04:12 PM 463,191 classic.jar
    12/05/2005 03:44 PM 322 classic.manifest
    02/16/2006 04:12 PM 31,967 comm.jar
    12/05/2005 03:44 PM 144 comm.manifest
    02/16/2006 04:12 PM 569,322 en-US.jar
    12/05/2005 03:44 PM 894 en-US.manifest
    09/15/2005 07:26 PM 771 pipnss.jar
    02/16/2006 04:12 PM 325,328 pippki.jar
    12/05/2005 03:44 PM 69 pippki.manifest
    02/16/2006 04:12 PM 55,575 reporter.jar
    12/05/2005 03:44 PM 340 reporter.manifest
    03/23/2006 07:12 PM 1,327 roboform.jar
    04/14/2006 01:51 PM 1,659,450 toolkit.jar
    12/05/2005 03:44 PM 469 toolkit.manifest

    To make matters worse and confusing, the problem appears to be gone. It
    was consistent when she started FF via the desktop Icon. Repeatable,
    however, she got e-mail that contained a link and clicked on it, problem
    wasn't there? OK, clicked on the desktop Icon, and all was/is normal?

    What is going on?

    Irv

    > Your wife seems to have a habit of installing manifest, which is known
    > spyware
    >
    > Irwin

  5. Re: FF Opens with 25% of FF a border on bottom

    Irv Spalten wrote:

    > To make matters worse and confusing, the problem appears to be gone. It
    > was consistent when she started FF via the desktop Icon. Repeatable,
    > however, she got e-mail that contained a link and clicked on it, problem
    > wasn't there? OK, clicked on the desktop Icon, and all was/is normal?
    >
    > What is going on?

    I've had similar and it comes and goes. I am not sure what the problem
    is - probably an extension or theme - and I haven't had time to track
    down the trigger but mine seems to be associated with some hiccup in a
    network connection.

    Tony

  6. Re: FF Opens with 25% of FF a border on bottom

    On 04/25/06 15:03, Irv Spalten wrote:
    > Darn, my wife hit this problem again, at least I think she had the
    > problem before and I asked here how to fix it, but I didn't save the
    > answer...
    >
    > What happens is she starts FF and it opens fine, but approximately 20 to
    > 25% of the screen is a very wide border with nothing but an '^' in red
    > on the left handside below the STATUS bar. I can't find anything that
    > has caused this, no new extensions added, and the latest version of
    > code. I can't seem to locate and re-sizing or pulldowns to make it
    > smaller or return to normal.
    >
    > I'll SAVE the answer this time, I promise. I recall it being relatively
    > simple, and if I knew where to look it would have been obvious.

    Well, for the future, bookmark this:

    --
    Matt Nordhoff
    (aka Peng on IRC & the forums)

  7. Re: FF Opens with 25% of FF a border on bottom

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    > Well, for the future, bookmark this:

    When mine occurs it doesn't look like that but like a very broad status bar.

    --
    Tony

    "Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble
    their food and tyrannise their teachers."
    - Socrates (470 - 399 BC)

  8. Re: FF Opens with 25% of FF a border on bottom

    Matt,

    Done, that is exactly what it looked like too...

    Irv

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 04/25/06 15:03, Irv Spalten wrote:
    >> Darn, my wife hit this problem again, at least I think she had the
    >> problem before and I asked here how to fix it, but I didn't save the
    >> answer...
    >>
    >> What happens is she starts FF and it opens fine, but approximately 20
    >> to 25% of the screen is a very wide border with nothing but an '^' in
    >> red on the left handside below the STATUS bar. I can't find anything
    >> that has caused this, no new extensions added, and the latest version
    >> of code. I can't seem to locate and re-sizing or pulldowns to make it
    >> smaller or return to normal.
    >>
    >> I'll SAVE the answer this time, I promise. I recall it being
    >> relatively simple, and if I knew where to look it would have been
    >> obvious.

    > Well, for the future, bookmark this:

  9. Re: FF Opens with 25% of FF a border on bottom

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 04/25/06 15:03, Irv Spalten wrote:
    >> Darn, my wife hit this problem again, at least I think she had the
    >> problem before and I asked here how to fix it, but I didn't save the
    >> answer...
    >>
    >> What happens is she starts FF and it opens fine, but approximately 20
    >> to 25% of the screen is a very wide border with nothing but an '^' in
    >> red on the left handside below the STATUS bar. I can't find anything
    >> that has caused this, no new extensions added, and the latest version
    >> of code. I can't seem to locate and re-sizing or pulldowns to make it
    >> smaller or return to normal.
    >>
    >> I'll SAVE the answer this time, I promise. I recall it being
    >> relatively simple, and if I knew where to look it would have been
    >> obvious.

    > Well, for the future, bookmark this:

    Thanks for the link Matt! It's in my Quick Text now.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

  10. Re: FF Opens with 25% of FF a border on bottom

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >

    >> Well, for the future, bookmark this:
    >>

    > When mine occurs it doesn't look like that but like a very broad status
    > bar.

    Click on the picture to enlarge it, then scroll down to the bottom to
    see very large status bar.

    Irwin